Improvements For baseball

Anyone have any insight to what's happening at baseball field? Not sure if I missed it there's a burn of construction going on at the field. They have ripped up all the grass but only put turf in could ground so far. Anyone know if our baseball field is going to turf? 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a regular letter sent out last week, no mention of any construction or facilities changes.  There are a few really good coaching additions....

I just read a blurb on Instagram that stated the foul ball areas will now be turf. 

Surfaces outside the foul lines are high traffic spots, particularly the halo around the plate.  It is incredibly difficult to maintain the grass there and this would allow the grounds crew to focus on what really matters.  A turf field makes an average defensive team really good, virtually overnight.  But with Auburn being an agricultural institution I can't see us ever going that route.  At least I hope not.

Call me crazy; but I think I'd actually like to see the switch to a turf field. From a statistical setting, teams play better defensively on turf. I don't think that was necessarily a problem for us last year, but it just seems like a lot of schools with turf  fields are winning games and doing well. (Louisville, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Houston)...

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Call me crazy; but I think I'd actually like to see the switch to a turf field. From a statistical setting, teams play better defensively on turf. I don't think that was necessarily a problem for us last year, but it just seems like a lot of schools with turf  fields are winning games and doing well. (Louisville, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech, Houston)...

Faster surface of course....turn singles into doubles perhaps.    Any recent information on how modern turf affects injuries? 

9 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

No thanks.  I've been to a few Texas games and they have the fake turf field.  It's just not baseball.  Also, if you make it to Omaha, you play on natural grass.

I don't like it at all for baseball  even if it is just for outfield. baseball was meant to play on natural grass  

Why did they feel the need to do this? I hope its not for cost reasons. after what's going on with our football team we are now spending way too much on football coaches  

Gorgeous looking field, especially from the aerial shot. Question though, why does the sport turf extend onto the regular grass along the foul lines in LF & RF?  It would seem more logical for the natural grass to run foul line to foul line and eliminate any potential seam or uneven transition in the field of play. I know it appears it is only a foot or so of sport turf in fair play, but just caught my eye. Fantastic job though by everyone involved. I know the players will appreciate it and it appears to be an unbelievable upgrade from the previous surface which I know was less than ideal. 

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'm guessing so they dont have to paint foul lines.

Interesting point...foul lines look to be "built in" which if that is the case, might also make it easier to see where the ball hits on those close plays down the line.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:35 AM, Brad_ATX said:

No thanks.  I've been to a few Texas games and they have the fake turf field.  It's just not baseball.  Also, if you make it to Omaha, you play on natural grass.

I was looking forward to going to UT games when I moved to Austin. I thought I would enjoy them as much as Auburn due to the programs traditions, and I am also a UT fan. I agree with you, the game on grass is much better.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:22 AM, AU64 said:

Interesting point...foul lines look to be "built in" which if that is the case, might also make it easier to see where the ball hits on those close plays down the line.

I don't know how it would make easier to see other than it being a brighter green. ID love to see an official answer, because I have never been it like that. 

6 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

I don't know how it would make easier to see other than it being a brighter green. ID love to see an official answer, because I have never been it like that. 

I was thinking that chalked lines get wet, get worn, and are not sharp edged .....looks like the line would be more distinct and make it easier to see if the ball catches part of it....but that's just a guess? 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

I was thinking that chalked lines get wet, get worn, and are not sharp edged .....looks like the line would be more distinct and make it easier to see if the ball catches part of it....but that's just a guess? 

I'm thinking it simply may be a mix up ......or maybe it has something to do with the transition/meshing together of the grass to turf......same here AU64....its just a guess/thought. 

I like the home plate area a lot better with the reno, than the Auburn Tigers ring around the home plate circle last year.  I think it was the contrast in colors that bothered me.  This new look is cleaner.

Archived