2020 3* Juco OT Brenden Coffey Commits to Auburn!

ellitor

Is this guy a good pickup ?? He is barely big enough to play tight end . Very light tackle . He better go to Cracker Barrel every day 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three Juco OT’s? Is one expected to play OG?

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Is this guy a good pickup ?? He is barely big enough to play tight end . Very light tackle . He better go to Cracker Barrel every day 

If he's good enough to play in Paradise he should be good enough for us. :dunno:

Not getting info from anyone or anything but i wouldn’t be surprised if this Commitment was due to the staff feeling like there’s an imminent decommit coming. Seems to me like Cohen will end up signing with somebody else

Junior college OT commits to Auburn

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 65 minutes ago 

Share22 Comments

Brenden Coffey, the No. 2 junior college OT in the country. (Photo: Mark Murphy, 247Sports)

Auburn has landed commitment No. 20 and it seemingly came out of the blue.

Brenden Coffey, a 3-star junior college tackle from Butte College (Calif.) gave his verbal to the Tigers via Twitter on Saturday night.

Brenden Coffey@CoffeyBrenden

It is with deepest gratitude and extreme excitement that I get to say, I have committed to Auburn University. War Eagle!!!!

7:13 PM - Nov 9, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

161 people are talking about this

The 6-feet-6.5, 275-pound Coffey is the No. 2 tackle and No. 22 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

With Coffey on board, Auburn now has seven offensive linemen committed for 2020. One of those commits, tackle Javion Cohen of Phenix City (Ala.) Central, has flirted with other schools and attended the Alabama-LSU game Saturday. Another tackle commit, Jonathan Buskey, may not finish up this semester and potentially won't arrive until next summer.

Coffey also is not a mid-year commit. He is expected to graduate from Butte College next spring. Initially, that scared some schools away, but Auburn ultimately came to the conclusion Coffey was too good to pass up at this time.

Coffey officially visited the Tigers in June. Afterward, he said Auburn has opened up a big lead. But as Auburn picked up verbals from other linemen, things seemed to go cold with Coffey. In recent weeks, however, the communication picked up.

Coffey’s story is one of a late bloomer.

He played football in high school kind of on a whim and the Paradise, Calif., native walked on at nearby Butte College last year.

“I was 6-5, 218 coming out of high school,” Coffey recalled.

Not only did Coffey continue to grow, his play at right tackle greatly impressed and offers poured in.

As for his official visit to Auburn, this is what Coffey said before leaving for home.

“I got a different vibe at Auburn,” Coffey said. “It wasn’t like an official visit. It felt like I was kind of already there and they were just showing me a few things before I settled in. I really did like that. It felt homey to me. I liked how I was treated. I was treated not as a player but as a respected human being. I just really liked that.”

Coffey will have three years to play two seasons.

As for his family, Coffey said distance from home is not an issue.

“They’ve already explained to me they want what is best for me, even if it’s somewhere in Alabama,” Coffey said. “They want me to go wherever I want, even if they can't see me all the time.”

Boom boom booming boom 💥 

Yeah, I thought E or someone else said we wouldn't be taking another OL unless something happened to change our numbers for 2020 such as a flip or maybe someone not being eligible or could there be an underclassman transferring or not returning. A lot of unknowns I guess, but welcome to Auburn  Brendan Coffey.  He seems pretty athletic with potential to be a starter next fall especially if he is an EE so I think this a good pickup. Reminds me of a JUCO TE (whose name escapes me) that  came to Auburn  a few years ago as an OT and started for two years .

13 minutes ago, autan said:

Yeah, I thought E or someone else said we wouldn't be taking another OL unless something happened to change our numbers for 2020 such as a flip or maybe someone not being eligible or could there be an underclassman transferring or not returning. A lot of unknowns I guess, but welcome to Auburn  Brendan Coffey.  He seems pretty athletic with potential to be a starter next fall especially if he is an EE so I think this a good pickup. Reminds me of a JUCO TE (whose name escapes me) that  came to Auburn  a few years ago as an OT and started for two years .

Brandon Mosley

I really wanted this guy but thought we were done at O-Line.  Assuming some of these JC Players work out and with some of the ones we have waiting in the wings we could end up with a pretty good O-Line next year.  The talent should be there question is will we have the time to meld them into a strong group.

War Eagle and welcome aboard.

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

@JDUBB4AU He’s nearly 300 lbs. The weight listing in his profile hasn’t been updated since his profile was created a long time ago. 

4 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Three Juco OT’s? Is one expected to play OG?

No. Zierer is the only 1 now expected to enroll in January.

4 hours ago, WarGolfEagle said:

Not getting info from anyone or anything but i wouldn’t be surprised if this Commitment was due to the staff feeling like there’s an imminent decommit coming. Seems to me like Cohen will end up signing with somebody else

It’s guarding against it but also due to Buskey not being an early enrollee now.

2 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Rivals says he is a December graduate and enrolls at Auburn in January. 247 says he graduates in the spring. Do we know which is correct?

247. Keith double checked with a very reliable source.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

@JDUBB4AU He’s nearly 300 lbs. The weight listing in his profile hasn’t been updated since his profile was created a long time ago. 

Thank you for the info. That makes way more sense . He just needs gravy to get to 325. 

We have commitments from No. 1 , 2, and 7 JUCO OTs. But they are only 3* guys. Do any Junior College players get 4* or 5* rankings now? Seems like I remember E addressing that at one time but don't remember the answer.  Pretty sure Stidham was a 4* though.

23 hours ago, toddc said:

He played football in high school kind of on a whim and the Paradise, Calif., native walked on at nearby Butte College last year.

It’s a huge leap from playing on a whim in high school, to walking on at a JUCO, to competing in the SEC just 3 years later. Especially not being an early enrollee.  I hope he has some superpowered developmental program. 

4 hours ago, autan said:

Pretty sure Stidham was a 4* though.

But Stidham was different. He didn't play JUCO ball, just attended school for a year. I think he was a 5* coming out of high school.

5 hours ago, autan said:

Do any Junior College players get 4* or 5* rankings now?

Not many 4*s & rare a juco gets a composite 5*. Only 11 4*s so far this year when counting all positions. Z & Coffey need to be in ESPN's juco top 10 to have a shot at 4* as 247 & Rivals ranking are now. Buskey has little to no shot.

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s a huge leap from playing on a whim in high school, to walking on at a JUCO, to competing in the SEC just 3 years later. Especially not being an early enrollee.  I hope he has some superpowered developmental program. 

Well being the #2 juco OT likely means he's been impressive so far in his time as a juco.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well being the #2 juco OT likely means he's been impressive so far in his time as a juco.

I’m happy to get him, and on paper he looks impressive. But ESPN had Cannella as the #1 tight end out of JUCO. He has seen nothing at Butte junior college like he will see in the SEC, that’s all I’m saying. Not picking on him. I’m just ‘show me’ on all JUCOs. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m happy to get him, and on paper he looks impressive. But ESPN had Cannella as the #1 tight end out of JUCO. He has seen nothing at Butte junior college like he will see in the SEC, that’s all I’m saying. Not picking on him. I’m just ‘show me’ on all JUCOs. 

ESPN had him #2 behind Patton who signed with Arkansas. Regardless #36 overall regardless of position for jucos isn’t that good which is where they rated him.

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Cannella is pretty good but Auburn/Malzahn just SUCKS at incorporating the TE into the offense. He's obviously a tweener between a true TE and WR, but i still think he'd be racking up numbers at a different school that could exploit his skill set.

Bottom line though is he came in from JUCO and was able to get some snaps on the first team and has been a steady offensive player. I feel like a long time ago, one of the recruiting analysts said they considered a 5-star a player that *could* come in and start immediately at your typical program. Cannella seems like somewhat close to that. I think he should have been 4-star worthy if not higher.

Archived