Baseball vs Louisville CWS

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have been suspended earlier. 

Well, there's time for a little analysis:

About sending Holland, there were two outs. With no outs or one out, you certainly hold him on that short, sharp single. With two outs, you've got to know what the scouting report on the RF's arm is. Maybe he doesn't normally make that throw? Anyway it didn't work because Holland was out by a mile.

Louisville gets three runs in one inning off three walks and two errors. A high percentage of baseball games aren't won, they are lost. Error or not, three walks in one inning is normally a recipe for losing. Considering all that, we sort of got out of that inning light, it could have been worse.

The rain? It rained on both teams. The game will pick up where it left off regardless of when the weather clears, even if it's tomorrow. That's the rule these days.

History lesson: Back in the olden days (1967) the CWS was played by the rues of professional baseball, which means if the game was called because of rain after five innings, the team ahead was the winner. Stanford was ahead of AU by one run, but Auburn had runners on base and our best power hitter, Scotty Long, coming to bat. The storm hit and after some time the game was called and Stanford was declared the winner. Thus began my long-time hatred for that school.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well, there's time for a little analysis:

"... and Stanford was declared the winner. Thus began my long-time hatred for that school."

That explains a lot for me rain == bama

I don't have a huge issue with sending Holland. Two walks and an error on a routine ground ball to second did damage to us in that inning. I've got a feeling we haven't exhausted all of our offense in this game yet. Put some zeros up on the board for Louisville, and we can hang in there. Guys have just got to keep fighting, have good approaches, and hit the dern ball hard

Just cut the deficit to 2 by the ninth and then hand it over to the Auburn drama gods.  It’s postseason Auburn sports. It’s impossible for this to end as a blowout

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Louisville ....CWS
1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Umps screwed us by not delaying the game.  

Was listening on Sirius and announcers were pretty critical of the umps not calling the game....and the field conditions.  Especially since future weather forecast for the week is good and only one game scheduled for tomorrow. 

No need to force the issue today.....must be the same guys who called the Vandy game and let the game be played in a rainstorm until TB hurt himself. 

From Auburn Baseball: This game will not resume before 9 PM central time tonight, at the earliest. Look for another announcement then.

Seeing a little doom and gloom on social media, and on the board. Want to remind everyone that 

1.) Auburn is in the College World Series. There are great teams that make it here that go 0-2. I.e. Arkansas. Auburn’s got a chance to win a game here and that would be absolutely huge for this program. 

2.) We’re down 3 still with 5 innings to bat. AU is very much still in the the game, and can win tonight if they catch a break or two...

3.) We’re 4 wins away from playing for a national championship, and 3 of those would be against teams that we’ve already proven we can play with. 

I know it’s only a few hours, but I strongly urge the Auburn Family, as well as the team, to not give up on the dream yet. We’ve come back from much worse. Time to do it again. 

I was (and still am) stewing over the conditions that our pitchers were dealing with.  Umps finally wised up and had the field crew help out but still not good.  Before anyone says Lo was dealing with the same conditions, no they were not. 

No matter what happens in this game I am really proud of this team.  They scratched and clawed their way to the CWS and had a great shot at being in the winners bracket. 

I'm going to hot take and say the delay is a positive for us. The momentum of that game was not in our favor. The combo of getting thrown out at home and giving up three runs on walks/errors certainly felt like the game was slipping away. We may not come back to win, but I am happy for the opportunity to regroup. 

They'll have to move to the bullpen when the game resumes. Maybe we can get something going on the new pitcher. As we demonstrated two nights ago, a three-run lead isn't safe at the CWS. So let's go Tigers!

Based on the score, I agree with the above poster, but in general...I wonder what you do with all this off time. Like if you've been sitting for 4-5 hours, what's running through your head that whole time.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Seeing a little doom and gloom on social media, and on the board. Want to remind everyone that 

1.) Auburn is in the College World Series. There are great teams that make it here that go 0-2. I.e. Arkansas. Auburn’s got a chance to win a game here and that would be absolutely huge for this program. 

2.) We’re down 3 still with 5 innings to bat. AU is very much still in the the game, and can win tonight if they catch a break or two...

3.) We’re 4 wins away from playing for a national championship, and 3 of those would be against teams that we’ve already proven we can play with. 

I know it’s only a few hours, but I strongly urge the Auburn Family, as well as the team, to not give up on the dream yet. We’ve come back from much worse. Time to do it again. 

Not giving up in the slightest! But if it were, man, it’s just makes you sick. Flat out losing is one thing, beating yourself is another. Regardless of the outcome, I will be proud of these guys tho, that’s forsure!

I had a meeting this afternoon.  Was the 3 runs, walks and error caused by the rain or was it not that bad at that time?  I was told the game should have been stopped before they scored any runs.  

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I had a meeting this afternoon.  Was the 3 runs, walks and error caused by the rain or was it not that bad at that time?  I was told the game should have been stopped before they scored any runs.  

Misread your post in my first reply, but the rain was pretty steady then. People said we were dealing with wet balls and hands. The fact that they stopped it when they did was a little ridiculous because the rain had slacked off a lot 

I would have been disappointed if we had not sent Holland. You needed a clean glove, good throw and catch to get him. I like those chances better than needing another hit to score him. 

19 minutes ago, alexava said:

I would have been disappointed if we had not sent Holland. You needed a clean glove, good throw and catch to get him. I like those chances better than needing another hit to score him. 

I do as well. I liked the decision. The guy just made a good throw. That’s baseball 

Glad of the new start.....that inning with the errors and walks would have been tough to follow....gives coaches and players another chance to gather their poise and play solid baseball....plenty of time to get the game back in our hands.   

With the walks,  Horn was done anyway ...just wondering if EA is also done for this game?  Faced four batters....so who knows?  

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Based on the score, I agree with the above poster, but in general...I wonder what you do with all this off time. Like if you've been sitting for 4-5 hours, what's running through your head that whole time.

My guess?  PUBG or Fortnight...

Archived