2021 4* DT Lee Hunter Commits to AU!

ellitor

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dye was no longer the coach at AU when Craig signed. Dye had been gone from the AU coaching staff for over two full seasons when Spikes signed.

When Terry Bowden's 1997 Tigers appeared in the SEC Championship game, the only Dye player left was one sixth year senior who got the extra year due to injury. No other of Dye's players were there. 

47-17-1 says Bowden wasn't all bad. Did it with Dye's players? Dye was 10-11-1 with those players the two years before Bowden took over.

Dye had quit being the coach for a couple of months before Craig signed. Unless you are really so stupid as to think that a top notch dual threat QB decided to go to Auburn with a brand new coach (who had been at Samford before that) during the interval between late November 1991 and, I presume, early to mid February when he signed his LOI, then MOST OF THE RECRUITING OF DAMEYUNE CRAIG WAS BY PAT DYE'S STAFF. Yes, he technically signed with Bowden, and I did not dispute that point. He was still Dye's recruit.

BTW, do you remember the videos that came out after the undefeated season in 93? In the locker room after knocking off Bama, how Dye was in there loving on Tater Tot while the latter said, "Today, I became an Auburn man." How much influence do you think Pat Dye still had on the program at that point?

That is not to say Bowden didn't do anything right. He would have been great as offensive coordinator for Dye. But who was running the defense? Wayne Hall, who coached with Dye from before Dye came to Auburn all the way until he left, and then continued at Auburn for 3 years after Dye left. I think it's not too unfair to give Takeo Spikes to Dye, considering Dye would have been part of his recruiting for at least a year before retiring, and his protégé was the one who finished reeling Spikes in.

But no, it's all because Bowden was spectacular, right?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Dye had quit being the coach for a couple of months before Craig signed. Unless you are really so stupid as to think that a top notch dual threat QB decided to go to Auburn with a brand new coach (who had been at Samford before that) during the interval between late November 1991 and, I presume, early to mid February when he signed his LOI, then MOST OF THE RECRUITING OF DAMEYUNE CRAIG WAS BY PAT DYE'S STAFF. Yes, he technically signed with Bowden, and I did not dispute that point. He was still Dye's recruit.

BTW, do you remember the videos that came out after the undefeated season in 93? In the locker room after knocking off Bama, how Dye was in there loving on Tater Tot while the latter said, "Today, I became an Auburn man." How much influence do you think Pat Dye still had on the program at that point?

That is not to say Bowden didn't do anything right. He would have been great as offensive coordinator for Dye. But who was running the defense? Wayne Hall, who coached with Dye from before Dye came to Auburn all the way until he left, and then continued at Auburn for 3 years after Dye left. I think it's not too unfair to give Takeo Spikes to Dye, considering Dye would have been part of his recruiting for at least a year before retiring, and his protégé was the one who finished reeling Spikes in.

But no, it's all because Bowden was spectacular, right?

Craig signed with us because of Joe Whitt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinman said:

Craig signed with us because of Joe Whitt.

...Who was a member of Dye's staff. If Bowden can get credit for recruits that signed while he was head coach, then Dye can get credit for recruits who were recruited while he was head coach. I didn't know it was Whitt who got Craig to Auburn, because I was 9 at the time, but I knew it was primarily due to Dye's staff.

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

...Who was a member of Dye's staff. If Bowden can get credit for recruits that signed while he was head coach, then Dye can get credit for recruits who were recruited while he was head coach. I didn't know it was Whitt who got Craig to Auburn, because I was 9 at the time, but I knew it was primarily due to Dye's staff.

Pat Dye was hanging around the locker room when Cam Newton came to Auburn. By your reasoning, Dye gets credit for recruiting Cam too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Enough already with the Dye/Bowden stuff........

Get back to Hunter............we are dangerously close to losing this recruit.

Golf teeing off on those who have gotten  off of the fairway.

• Like 2

Lee Hunter is our only solid 4* commit right now.  If we lose him the sky is falling. I feel sure DDDavis will stay with AU. Not many Power 5 programs looking for a 5'-10" QB as the face of their recruiting class. I would expect his HS teammate JRoberts to stay with the ship as well.  We don't have many commits right now that our rivals would try to flip.  I do think it would give Nicky great pleasure if Auburn did not sign a single 4* recruit in this class. Negative recruiting is pretty rampant right now I would think.

4 hours ago, autan said:

. I feel sure DDDavis will stay with AU. Not many Power 5 programs looking for a 5'-10" QB as the face of their recruiting class.

Keep believing that

SIAP but it can't be a bad sign that his profile still says he's committed (I know he didn't decommit). Also, can't hurt he's @ing another former commit and encouraging AU fans to hit him up.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Auburn signee a finalist for state award

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

Following a dominant senior season, Auburn defensive tackle signee Lee Hunter of Eight Mile (Ala.) Blount has been named a finalist for the Alabama Sports Writers Association lineman of the Year award for Class 6A. The winners will be announced in January.

Also up for this honor in 6A: Alabama defensive tackle signee Anquin Barnes, of Montgomery Lee and South Carolina offensive line signee JonDarius Morganof Birmingham Huffman.

Hunter, the No. 80 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, signed with Auburn on Dec. 16.

An early enrollee, he said he plans to arrive at Auburn on Jan. 10.

“I’m ready to go,” Hunter said.

1COMMENTS

Here are some notes on Hunter, courtesy of AuburnTigers.com: "Strong, athletic defensive line prospect … recorded 54 tackles, 20 TFL, 4.5 sacks as a senior for Coach Lev Holly and the Leopards … also scored rushing and receiving TD and had 9 catches for 149 yards … 77 tackles, 23 TFL as a junior … first team AHSAA Class 6A all-state … AL.com A-List … Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game selection."

This is Hunter's 247Sports evaluation:Desired defensive line body type with big chest, broad shoulders, size and length. Space-eating body type. Plays all along the line and shows enough athleticism to play edge in high school. Jarring punch at the line of scrimmage. One of the more powerful defensive linemen in the 2020 class in terms of his ability to re-establish the line of scrimmage. Has a nasty bulrush and one-armed stab. Shows good pursuit athleticism for a bigger defender. Strictly a power player. Doesn’t show a lot of redirection or movement versatility. Best suited as a nose or shade technique but body and upside could push him towards a more well-rounded game. We view as an impact Power Five starter that has early round NFL Draft upside.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-signee-Lee-Hiunter-finalist-for-state-award-158067569/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=201230_133735_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link
Comments (1) 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-football-signee-Lee-Hunter-wins-major-award-college-football-recruiting-158643908/

Following a dominant senior season, Auburn defensive tackle signee Lee Hunter of Eight Mile (Ala.) Blount has been named the Alabama Sports Writers Association lineman of the Year for Class 6A.

He beat out Alabama defensive tackle signee Anquin Barnes, of Montgomery Lee and South Carolina offensive line signee JonDarius Morgan of Birmingham Huffman for the award. Hunter, the No. 80 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, signed with Auburn on Dec. 16.

“I’m just so proud of Lee,” Blount coach Lev Holly told Al.com. “He’s handled everything so well. Being that alpha male, it would be easy to let all the recruiting and all that type of stuff go to your head. Lee never has.

Following up on ToddCs post. 

Congrats!

Hope Hars gave him a call!! We're going to need him next year! 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I am curious what he thinks of the Dline coach.

It's got to be exciting for him.

He’s got to come in ready to put in work. At times in his high school career he didn’t show a high motor.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

He’s got to come in ready to put in work. At times in his high school career he didn’t show a high motor.

That is the one thing I will miss about CRG.  He made his guys ready to play.  Tough love was his calling card.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is the one thing I will miss about CRG.  He made his guys ready to play.  Tough love was his calling card.

Don't have to worry about missing the tough love with Rocker as coach. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That’s Tracy Rocker’s calling card too. He develops players well.

• Like 2