2021 4* DT Lee Hunter Commits to AU!

ellitor

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. He's done this before & nothing came of it.

Per Keith someone close to Lee says wouldn't put any stock into the tweet.

Thanks,  we can't afford this. Definitely not a good look for us regardless. 

• Like 2

Backlash from the loss to A&M. Will Lee Hunter stay with Auburn or will he decommit and sign with a winning coach/football program.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

We are in trouble

So I retweeted Lee Hunter's tweet simply saying "two weeks from early national signing day and our highest rated recruit is tweeting this." He liked my retweet. Kid is playing mind games with me dear lord lol.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Thanks,  we can't afford this. Definitely not a good look for us regardless. 

Definitely concerning no doubt. Just passing on what Keith said.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Is hunter our only recruit from Alabama or Georgia? I need to look again at the list but I think he is...

You have addressed the crux of the matter. Never mind the overall recruiting ratings, we've been run out of our primary recruiting areas. AU has never been competitive without strong representation from Alabama, Georgia and Florida. We may be holding our own in Florida, but we're in a world of hurt in the other two states.

Even if he's not serious, this doesn't send a positive message to our other recruiting targets. No way to spin his tweet into an insignificant thing. I see no leadership or team spirit there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Even if he's not serious, this doesn't send a positive message to our other recruiting targets. No way to spin his tweet into an insignificant thing. I see no leadership or team spirit there.

Wasn't trying to paint it as insignificant. Just passing on what Keith said. He thinks Hunter sticks with AU but does think it's concerning.

Definitely not a good look when a long time commitment is looking for a way out of his commitment 10 days before NSD.

Agree. And he is the only recruit we have from the state of Alabama. We have none from Georgia. This is the worst I have seen since 2008. Reminds me of some of Terry Bowden's classes. We are in deep, deep trouble. 

• Like 1

You can bet Saban has green-lighted the REC in Mobile to make this kid an offer.  This is a perfect example of a kid Saban really doesn't want, Hunter isn't a "process" kind of kid, but will sell out to get him at the last minute to keep talent from coming here, more importantly, embarrass Gus/Auburn again.   I hope we have enough invested that Hunter can't take the bama bags. 

12 minutes ago, USATiger said:

You can bet Saban has green-lighted the REC in Mobile to make this kid an offer.  This is a perfect example of a kid Saban really doesn't want, Hunter isn't a "process" kind of kid, but will sell out to get him at the last minute to keep talent from coming here, more importantly, embarrass Gus/Auburn again.   I hope we have enough invested that Hunter can't take the bama bags. 

100%

A Paul Bryant tactic

28 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree. And he is the only recruit we have from the state of Alabama. We have none from Georgia. This is the worst I have seen since 2008. Reminds me of some of Terry Bowden's classes. We are in deep, deep trouble. 

As we stand right now, Terry Bowden never had a class this bad. Bowden did sign Willie Anderson, Takeo Spikes, Ben Leard, D. Craig, Fred Beasley and some more notables.

We have a little time to correct things, but any momentum seems to going in the opposite direction.

Recruiting Buzz: The latest on Lee Hunter

By Keith Niebuhr

An overnight Tweet from 4-star Auburn defensive tackle commit Lee Hunter of Eight Mile (Ala.) Blount sent shockwaves through the Tigers fan base.

But Monday morning, the touted recruit told Auburn Undercover in a series of Direct Messages via Twitter he not only remains committed to Auburn, he is solid to Gus Malzahn's program.

Additionally, Blount coach Lev Holly said Monday he didn't think Auburn had much if anything to worry about with Hunter. Other Auburn commits echoed that sentiment.

At  3:32 a.m. ET Monday, Hunter sent out the following Tweet.

"Up thinking about my future and I’m thankful for it ... I'm exhausted!," Hunter wrote. "I think this a sign God giving me. My recruitment is still open."

The 6-feet-5, 300-pound Hunter is the highest-ranked member of the Tigers' 2021 recruiting class. He checks in as the No. 6 tackle and No. 79 overall recruit in the country for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Hunter, who committed to Auburn the week after the Tigers beat Alabama in 2019, is one of the most important players in the 2021 class for Gus Malzahn's program. Given the way Auburn struggled up front in Saturday's loss to Texas A&M, when they allowed more than 300 yards rushing, it's vital for the program to get better along the defensive line. Hunter, an early enrollee who plans to sign in December, has the potential to play early in his career at the next level.

Recently, Holly told Auburn Undercover that Hunter never stopped hearing from Alabama. Florida State also has heavily recruited him and obviously has a major need on the defensive line. LSU potentially could be someone else to watch. That said, those close to Hunter have always said as long as defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is at Auburn that's likely where Hunter will land.

Worth noting, this isn't the first time a Hunter Tweet got people's attention. This summer, he said he planned to opt out and not play in 2020 due to him becoming a father earlier this year and the fact his mother has had health issues. But he did, in fact, play this season and had a terrific year for Blount.

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As we stand right now, Terry Bowden never had a class this bad. Bowden did sign Willie Anderson, Takeo Spikes, Ben Leard, D. Craig, Fred Beasley and some more notables.

We have a little time to correct things, but any momentum seems to going in the opposite direction.

Bowdens couldn't recruit RBS very well. I remember our Running game suffering severely back then. Maybe it was OL too? I remember being so happy when Rudy came and we finally had a good RB again.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

This fact alone should be grounds for firing Gus and the entire staff. They should all be embarrassed by that. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bowdens couldn't recruit RBS very well. I remember our Running game suffering severely back then. Maybe it was OL too? I remember being so happy when Rudy came and we finally had a good RB again.

OL and RBs. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

OL and RBs. 

Was OL really poor recruiting or more Bowden's style of play just didn't have them physical enough? Blocking improved pretty quickly under the new regime.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Was OL really poor recruiting or more Bowden's style of play just didn't have them physical enough? Blocking improved pretty quickly under the new regime.

That is true. Also I think he signed the number one quarterback in the nation one year but he went to play baseball. I remember QB was an issue later (after DC). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pretty sure that at least Craig and Spikes were far more due to Dye's influence than Tater Tot's.

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

That is true. Also I think he signed the number one quarterback in the nation one year but he went to play baseball. I remember QB was an issue later (after DC). 

Wasn't his name Strandridge or something like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure that at least Craig and Spikes were far more due to Dye's influence than Tater Tot's.

Dye was no longer the coach at AU when Craig signed. Dye had been gone from the AU coaching staff for over two full seasons when Spikes signed.

When Terry Bowden's 1997 Tigers appeared in the SEC Championship game, the only Dye player left was one sixth year senior who got the extra year due to injury. No other of Dye's players were there. 

47-17-1 says Bowden wasn't all bad. Did it with Dye's players? Dye was 10-11-1 with those players the two years before Bowden took over.