Coach Pearl Not Mincing Words...Again

Btiger1982

Bruce Pearl is my favorite Auburn coach out of all Auburn sports. Tonight, when asked by Cole Cubelic at the Ambush Tour in Mobile what he thought of the Auburn basketball program’s state when he was first hire as Auburn’s coach,  Bruce stated, “ I inherited a s***show.” That by far is the most candid answer I have heard in a long time. 

F79FE705-47D3-462F-B18B-28C41FC796FC.jpeg

• ellitor changed the title to Coach Pearl Not Mincing Words...Again

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is about the nicest way you could put it. 

I’d love if someone with inside knowledge could detail how things went so horribly wrong with barbee. He learned under pearl and had success at New Mexico State before coming to AU. Then he gets here and promptly takes our sad basketball program to depths never before seen

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’d love if someone with inside knowledge could detail how things went so horribly wrong with barbee.

Part of it was a negative mindset to start with. He didn't think a coach could recruit well at AU in basketball without Nike on the label. There's a lot more than that but that was the jumping off point.

37 minutes ago, gravejd said:

He learned under pearl

Calipari not Pearl.

39 minutes ago, gravejd said:

had success at New Mexico State

UTEP

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Part of it was a negative mindset to start with. He didn't think a coach could recruit well at AU in basketball without Nike on the label. There's a lot more than that but that was the jumping off point.

Calipari not Pearl.

UTEP

GraveJD was wrong so much I don’t even know if y’all are talking about the right person. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Calipari not Pearl.

UTEP

Man....I forgive myself for the UTEP MXST mix up but what the hell on the pearl caliperi switch 🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Calipari not Pearl.

UTEP

I don’t buy the negative mindset about Nike UA. He wouldn’t have taken the job if that was true. 

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I forgive myself for the UTEP MXST mix up

I don't. None of the 3 coaches ever coached there.

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I don’t buy the negative mindset about Nike UA. 

Buy it or not, it's reality. It has been stated many times by every AU reporter & people close to the program. They all have said numerous times he complained about it constantly behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I don't. None of the 3 coaches you mentioned in your post ever coached there.

When you can forgive yourself you don’t need outside forgiveness.

You may be surprised to learn that I don’t really know the coaching tree for either of those schools. 

Buy it or not, it's reality. It has been stated many times by every AU reporter & people close to the program. They all have said numerous times he complained about it constantly behind closed doors.

And just because some body reports something you don’t throw logic out the window and believe it blindly. I’m sure he complained about it but I don’t think he came to AU thinking he could not be successful here. That doesn’t pass the common sense test 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

You may be surprised to learn that I don’t really know the coaching tree for either of those schools. 

I didn't either. Just did a quick 1 minute double check via google before I posted.

Just now, gravejd said:

And just because some body reports something you don’t throw logic out the window and believe it blindly. I’m sure he complained about it but I don’t think he came to AU thinking he could not be successful here. That doesn’t pass the common sense test 

Ok. He had concerns about it before taking the job. In his mind it was confirmed soon thereafter...Better?

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I didn't either. Just did a quick 1 minute double check via google before I posted.

Here’s a cookie 🍪 

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ok. He had concerns about it before taking the job. In his mind it was confirmed soon thereafter...Better?

No. But I appreciate your attempt to answer my question.

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Another major part was he was a major Richard to everything & everyone while at AU. That took a heavy toll on the program. If you want details that it will have to come from someone else. That worthless SOB ain't worth the time nor energy researching & digging the deets up.

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Look at it this way. Would you take a big pay raise for a better job knowing it could be more challenging than where you are? The answer often times is yes.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Another major part was he was a major Richard to everything & everyone while at AU. That took a heavy toll on the program. If you want details that it will have to come from someone else. That worthless SOB ain't worth the time nor energy researching & digging the deets up.

:laugh:

Look at it this way. Would you take a big pay raise for a better job knowing it could be more challenging than where you are? The answer often times is yes.

Yep especially considering you know you're going to get 3-4 years before the crap hits the fan. Even if you know deep inside that you're in over your head. Show me the money. 

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. But Barbee was a nega.

Phillip Marshall said the first time he interviewed Barbee after he got the job, they were in Barbee’s office and Barbee was complaining about his office furniture.  He didn’t have the right mindset. He could’ve been in the penthouse if he valued winning over material and the golf course. 

Barbee was a disaster and an arrogant punk.

46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. But Barbee was a nega.

Phillip Marshall said the first time he interviewed Barbee after he got the job, they were in Barbee’s office and Barbee was complaining about his office furniture.  He didn’t have the right mindset. He could’ve been in the penthouse if he valued winning over material and the golf course. 

Thanks Jeff for providing an example of his douchery.

45 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Barbee was a disaster and an arrogant punk.

Even that’s giving him too much credit

Some people claim that there was some handshake agreement between Barbee and Jay Jacobs before being given the job that AU compliance would help Barbee use his World Wide Wes connection. Then once he got the gig, AU told him Wes and the kids he influenced werent welcome around thr program. The whole thing apparently made Barbee quit before he even got started. But who knows. Still a total loser move if any of that is true

Archived