Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

52 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Can’t wait to see what Allen Greene can really do now that he has one big giant douchey thorn out of his butt!!!

If Gus doesn’t succeed this year , our AD deserves the opportunity to bring in his own guy. Start fresh.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Harbert is Gus’s life jacket. As long as he remains in Gus’s corner he is good to go. Now that being said Leath was Harbert’s guy also

Time will tell. Can't wait to get @WarDamnEagleWDE's take on this.

10 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

BOOM!

source.gif

I knew I couldn't possibly be the first to post this news upon waking this morning, but had I been, "something DOMINOES" is exactly the line that it would have been under...

Auburn is more than football so I’m sure Gus and/or the football program and/ or the contract and/or the FOF weren't sole reasons for the split. I’m sure there are failings within the academic arm as well, so I doubt his failing within the athletic realm isn’t an anomaly within his time at Auburn. His stint at Iowa State made his hire at Auburn puzzling from the start. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn is more than football so I’m sure Gus and/or the football program and/ or the contract and/or the FOF weren't sole reasons for the split. I’m sure there are failings within the academic arm as well, so I doubt his failings within the athletic realm aren’t an anomaly within his time at Auburn. His stint at Iowa State made his hire at Auburn puzzling from the start. 

You are correct

10 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Dr. Leath was hired by the BoT in a farce of a search that lacked transparency and revealed numerous flaws in his past positions that seemed to be overlooked. He never fully embraced the Auburn community.  Auburn University’s rise to a Tier 1 research institute under his tenure is an accomplishment but one that was well on its way during Gogue’s administration. Not sure if his leaving is athletics related or not, but I hope the BoT does a better job conducting a search this time around 

I'd like to see some heavier hitters get involved for this search. Maybe reach out to Tim Cook to get his take. I understand his time is ultra-valuble though. I think CBP could give some insight too on what makes a good leader at a university position.

19 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

You are correct

Oh Lord! Don’t feed his ego. LOL just kidding Jeff.

Twitter is understandably having a field day. Here's my favorite. 

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I'd like to see some heavier hitters get involved for this search. Maybe reach out to Tim Cook to get his take. I understand his time is ultra-valuble though. I think CBP could give some insight too on what makes a good leader at a university position.

We just need a president that focuses on academics & stays out of AD Greene’s way. We have the right A.D., we just need to let him do his job. From what I’ve heard  Bill Hardgrave is the man for the job.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Oh Lord! Don’t feed his ego. LOL just kidding Jeff.

“You are correct”

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn is more than football so I’m sure Gus and/or the football program and/ or the contract and/or the FOF weren't sole reasons for the split. I’m sure there are failings within the academic arm as well, so I doubt his failing within the athletic realm isn’t an anomaly within his time at Auburn. His stint at Iowa State made his hire at Auburn puzzling from the start. 

Absolutely true....but I wonder if a number of PTBs share our feeling about that.    

I'd hate to think sports was the reason for him being cut loose though probably more about working relationships with key academic staff.     And I sure hope one of the questions the  new Pres. is not asked is....."what will you do to win some national championships"?.   

Leath was a continuation of AU's past history and trend....agriculture, technical university.   Wondering if that is where the BOT sees the future.   A couple presidents ago there was an intent to strengthen the Business and Liberal Arts areas of the school.    Just wondering if that becomes the primary goal once again.  I keep hoping that the BOT will have a larger vision for AU.....maybe this time it will. 

JMO but the next president will be female and she might not care much about football at all.....so folks hoping this will get Gus terminated may be in for a shock....just saying..:dunno:  be careful what you wish for. 

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Dang, I'm so far removed from this. Never met Leath, nor really heard anyone speak of him in any way, good or bad. Interesting stuff.

Same here. I understand the rejoicing on this sports board because so many want Gus gone and they think this helps their cause. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than athletics involved in the removal of a university president.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Same here. I understand the rejoicing on this sports board because so many want Gus gone and they think this helps their cause. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than athletics involved in the removal of a university president.

Of course there's more to it but don't think the $49 million dollar contract for a mediocre coach wasn't part of the decision making process.  It was a poor stewardship decision on Leath's part.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the next president will be female and she might not care much about football at all.....so folks hoping this will get Gus terminated may be in for a shock....just saying..:dunno:  be careful what you wish for. 

What would the new president's gender have to do with his or her level of interest in any given sport? Odd comment.

Not that an interest in sports is required to see the extremely poor ROI we got from our head coach last season and most of the seasons he's been here.

The reasons that have been given, listed, some athletically-related and some not, might be enough to part ways in a stand-alone sense. But together? It explains the rejoicing. Outside of our message board, it's coming from all directions. Suffice it to say that "a bad fit" is seen across agencies. One telling quote..

•  

"Haven’t talked to a single person plugged into Auburn who thinks this is bad news."

11 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Of course there's more to it but don't think the $49 million dollar contract for a mediocre coach wasn't part of the decision making process.  It was a poor stewardship decision on Leath's part.

I am in no way defending Leath, and im certainly not a Gus lover BUT as far as that contract goes... We had no choice. If we let Gus walk to Arkansas we would not have been happy with the coach we would of wound up with. The coaching carousel had all but run its course by that point. We really had no choice but to give him what he wanted. While Eddie O has done well at LSU, they didnt think he would be the head coach when he got the interm job. Look the joke of a search done by Tennessee. Gus and Sexton had us between a rock and a hard place. 

Also didnt Leath hire ADAG? 

Again im not in the least bit defending him, im just able to see both sides in most cases. The renovation of the presidents mansion itself would of been enough to can Leath in my eyes. And anyone who was even the least bit familiar with his stint at ISU knew this was a bad hire from the start. 

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We just need a president that focuses on academics & stays out of AD Greene’s way. We have the right A.D., we just need to let him do his job. From what I’ve heard  Bill Hardgrave is the man for the job.

I completely agree. I want a president who is heavily academic focused. I don't want a president who sees it as a priority to grow the university in terms of enrollment. I actually think we could shrink in size.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

How so? Just curious....

7 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

How so? Just curious....

No shortage of info out there. Google will keep you entertained for hours...

10 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

How so? Just curious....

Curious about what? Why his hire was puzzling? Iowa State was glad he was gone for one. 

Archived