Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

27 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

You gotta teach me how to get a Tweet onto this page faster than my cut and paste moves. You got good skills!! 

It's easy @ToraGirl. Copy the link to an actual tweet. When you paste the tweet link click on "post as plain text". It will embed the tweet for you & drop the cursor down to the next line for you to type or copy & paste the next tweet.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's easy @ToraGirl. Copy the link to an actual tweet. When you paste the tweet link click on "post as plain text". It will embed the tweet for you & drop the cursor down to the next link for you to type or copy & paste the next tweet.

It works (for me) when I’m on the Twitter app. Not when I’m on Twitter from Safari if that helps.

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

His bluff? What bluff is that? Maybe im wrong but last i checked Gus was a legend in Arkansas. He is viewed much like the love affair so many of you have with Bill Clark. Arkansas was going to take him. Period. There was no bluff.

It was pay Gus or let Arkansas take him. I personally would of been ok with him going to Arkansas. But i wouldnt of been ok with Kevin Steele, Muschamp, or Bill Clark... as his replacement...which is who we would have ended up with. That or another on the job learner.

Why some of you think he was bluffing was beyond me. He could go to Arkansas and be loved for making it to bowl games every year and not have to deal with our fans or our schedule. 

Its laughable how naive some of you are. 

First of all, I have lived in Arkansas. I was there when he made his run at Shiloh and grew into the national ranks at Springdale with the Springdale 5. You talk a lot for someone who doesn’t even know the variables of a place. Have you ever stepped foot inside of the state of Arkansas to make such generalizations? Like here, Gus is a polarizing figure at Arkansas. Half the state loves him; half the state hates him. The majority of the state hated him once he left Arkansas and ended up at Auburn. His dislike was exacerbated when he recruited the likes of Dyer and KF to Auburn successfully. He did himself no favors when he returned to Arkansas State.

Now, during the 2017 season, a good amount of their fans were curious about his motives. They were suspiciously open to him coming there. Mike Irwin, who is one of the most trusted media figures on the hill, called Gus’s bluff and knew it was a maneuver to get leverage and security at Auburn (rightfully so). Another thing to consider was at the time, Arkansas AD, Jeff Long was at odds with Gus. When Gus made the trip back to Jonesboro, he wanted the Arkansas gig, but he was passed up for BB (who was a quality hire at the time). This did not sit well with Gus (insider information, Arkansas politics, blah, blah).

Anywho, during the tumultuous 2017 season Long finally got the boot. More of it to do with his hiring of BB and the failure of a contract, but insiders also reported there was a hand to make room for Gus as a clear way to satisfy Gus’s worry as well. They offered him a significant amount of money and autonomy. The fans wanted him to prove that he loves the state, so why not take this offer once and for all. Now, seeing how Gus moves in the past, I seriously doubt he honestly wanted to go to Arkansas. Gus knows it is terribly hard to win at Arkansas and one of the biggest critiques he got from the fans on the hill and the hogville brass which was against the hire is that he was not winning with Auburn talent and he needed a DT QB to win. However, once again, they were at a prove me wrong mindset. I don’t know why you think Arkansas has a "poor little ole me" mentality, but they do not. And they don’t respect Auburn. After Petrino came and was successful there, they know their heights, and they expect to get back to that level, so just being happy with the Shreveport bowl is egregiously inaccurate. Gus knows this, as well.

Gus did not want to go back to Arkansas. Period. He knows he has it good at Auburn, despite all of the hooplas that surrounds his name. Arkansas now knows that too, and he is very much disliked by the majority of the fanbase now. He still has his Springdale loyalist, but they are few and in between.  Sorry about my rant to the others out there. But I wanted to displace baseless generalizations.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's easy @ToraGirl. Copy the link to an actual tweet. When you paste the tweet link click on "post as plain text". It will embed the tweet for you & drop the cursor down to the next line for you to type or copy & paste the next tweet.

You da bayest, Ellitor!  Grazie mille!!

AP.png

21 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Certainly surprised. I see it's being reported that's it was mutual. Seems to come at an odd time. 

Does this put even more  pressure on Gus?

Umm yea! As it should be!

• ellitor changed the title to Steven Leath Out As AU President.
12 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Why is this thread now in the Rivals Recruiting section?  Strange. 

Sorry. Had to do some editing & forgot to move the thread back.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Glad to see our numbers have gone up some recently. Still do you have a link or quote to where state basically sets the tuition? Never heard that one before.

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2019/04/121616-trustees-proposed-state-appropriations.php

This is crap that Auburn has to put up with year after year.....which drives the tuition....and IMO the better job AU does with funding from alums and supporters the more the legislature feels justifying in cutting us short....

23 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Certainly surprised. I see it's being reported that's it was mutual. Seems to come at an odd time. 

Does this put even more  pressure on Gus?

Mutual only because him and Raymond want to save face.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

To be fair. you said “fear based anything.” So anything is fair game, no????? Also, forgot to mention it,  but I read somewhere on the infallible internet that there is a rumor (which I cannot validate) that FSU wants Butch. There would need to be fear based decisions there too. I don’t think fear based decisions are bad. Affects the elite and the poor teams. It’s what pays Saban’s contract, and it also forces have-nots to be honest with themselves or else fork out the money.  

Butch to FSU should be a non-factor since they announced Martin's son will take over. I realize it was just part of a point you were making. 

I can say this now with Leath gone and Raymond in the doghouse, Gus better win big or there will be no one left on his side. I for one hope he does for the sake of the players. I don’t know what the final payout drop was after the discussions this winter but I have heard the new buyout will be 16 million come December with 1/2 up front and the rest in payments so it will be doable. Again I hope he does. This should strengthen his resolve to follow his game plan. He has the tools to win the west and the SEC and play in the CFP, he just needs not to screw it up.

13 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Of course there's more to it but don't think the $49 million dollar contract for a mediocre coach wasn't part of the decision making process.  It was a poor stewardship decision on Leath's part.

Some also seem to forget, had it been leath’s decision, he would’ve fired Bruce too

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Some also seem to forget, had it been leath’s decision, he would’ve fired Bruce too

Yep. On the Athletics side of his transgressions that one is pretty bad.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yep. On the Athletics side of his transgressions that one is pretty bad.

I hate to be Debbie Downer here and burst everyone's bubble on trashing Leath for the almost Pearl firing, but is everyone 100% confident we arent one of the 6 schools about to be named for level 1 violations in basketball? Seems folks are forgetting that's still out there or everyone thinks we are in the clear. 

42 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I hate to be Debbie Downer here and burst everyone's bubble on trashing Leath for the almost Pearl firing, but is everyone 100% confident we arent one of the 6 schools about to be named for level 1 violations in basketball? Seems folks are forgetting that's still out there or everyone thinks we are in the clear. 

Screenshot_20190623-065436~2.png

42 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

We had a rogue coach give money to players. We have done everything right in atoning for it though so the NCAA will probably name us and only slap us on the wrist. Maybe take away a scholarship or two. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We had a rogue coach give money to players. We have done everything right in atoning for it though so the NCAA will probably name us and only slap us on the wrist. Maybe take away a scholarship or two. 

With the NCAA anything is possible but I would think us sitting DP and AW would in essence be the loss of two scholarships for a season plus DP got an extra 10 games. The extra 10 games wasn't Auburn's idea was it? 

51 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

What makes you think that is even a possibility?

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

I trust the people connected to the program who are confident. And even if we are one of the six schools for some crazy reason, that’s not on Pearl. That’s completely on Person.

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

With the NCAA anything is possible but I would think us sitting DP and AW would in essence be the loss of two scholarships for a season plus DP got an extra 10 games. The extra 10 games wasn't Auburn's idea was it? 

Nah, I think that was the NCAA. Seems that I remember reading about Bruce trying to appeal the suspensions. Whatever the case, through Person’s actions we broke a rule and more than likely we are going to hear about it. 

Bruce just got a contract though. We wouldn’t do that if we feared bad news on the way. I suspect if there is a penalty, it’s just a “because I have to, not because I want to” penalty. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And even if we are one of the six schools for some crazy reason that’s not on Pearl. That’s completely on Person.

Tell that to the haters. 

“Bruce is a crook. His assistant is in trouble for what he did at UPenn. Herp Derp”

mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg?crop=0.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

ell that to the haters. 

“Bruce is a crook. His assistant is in trouble for what he did at UPenn. Herp Derp

You mean there’s more than AU64 that think that way?

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You mean that four assistant coaches with various compliance issues and two suspended players means nothing?  Just bad luck on our part? And a coach who would not answer questions of his boss?  Nothing to see here...😇

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

No matter what time of the year, you can always search Bruce Pearl on twitter and see fresh takes of denial and butthurt intertwined together. He’s getting more haters than Lebron James. I have no clue what affair he is talking about. He probably forgot that Pitino once nailed one of his assistant coaches wives behind a dumpster at a bar and paid for the abortion later.

The latest from 7 hours ago:

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Tell that to the haters. 

“Bruce is a crook. His assistant is in trouble for what he did at UPenn. Herp Derp”

mocking-spongebob-1556133078.jpg?crop=0.

Really hope your not referring to me here as a Bruce Pearl hater. I freakin love the guy.  I think the fact he gets a rep from some as a cheater for lying to the NCAA about a stupid bbq is beyond  ridiculous. I'm not so worried that he did anything blatantly wrong, just worried the NCAA is going to somehow hammer us with some sort of tie to Person. I'm worried because I really dont want to see this outstanding momentum we have going stop. 

Archived