Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

I had 3 sons go to AU - Aerospace; Accounting/Finance; History/Economics. All 3 had similar credentials coming out of high school. The oldest got a huge scholarship thru the legacy scholarship program - tuition, $1,500 stipend for new laptop and calculator, and $1,500 for study abroad his junior year.. The second got about 50% of what the first got - it had been watered down over the 3 years between them. And the third got about 50% of what the second got - watered down yet again. Unfortunately, AU continues to enjoy 100% enrollment even with the high price tag. If enrollment were to falter, the PTB may increase scholarships to maintain their numbers, but no need to as long as they're turning students away.  

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just our experience but it is really hard to generalize on this stuff which is why it really pays to look around....everywhere that is within good distance.  

One grandson want to study youth ministry and got nearly a full ride to Liberty based on his 31 ACT and GPA....was much less than any instate school...none of which offered any scholarships.   A grand daughter is in last year of pre-vet medicine.  I've been trying to get her to look at AUburn...she is at NC State.....I did some leg work at AU, ….no help at all for her first year and not even any honest encouragement after that.   She can go to NC State Vet school which is rated as high as AU for $30,000+ less per year....times 4 years....kid has all As and A+ for three years and AU not even interested to give her a look at a scholarship..

The legacy stuff is mostly BS I think.  Me, my brother, his wife and one of his children all went to AU....My wife and I have sponsored a scholarship in the Business School for 20 years.........means nothing.   I love Au and what it did for my life but I'm the end of the line in our family...

I'm not blaming anyone at AU in particular.....it's just the financial situation I guess....underfunded by the state is where it starts and the academic side is in constant competition with the football side for alum financial support. 

AU64,

You may not be talking to the right people. The administration at the College of Veterinary Medicine is very aware of the high cost of tuition and have been working to create scholarships or financial aid for vet school students. Call the Dean's office and speak to Dr Dan Givens - Associate Dean for academics and an all around good guy . His office is extremely helpful and he's always available to talk to prospective students. 

1 minute ago, drsteve87 said:

Unfortunately, AU continues to enjoy 100% enrollment even with the high price tag. If enrollment were to falter, the PTB may increase scholarships to maintain their numbers, but no need to as long as they're turning students away.  

Every school turns students away....don't think that is a factor in the generosity of scholarships.  

Many have specific qualifications which might limit who can get them and just lack of funds for general aid is an issue too.   The AU alumni scholarship fund is pitifully small.   Our scholarship in the Business School is for kids from Baldwin County where I grew up.   Pretty limiting but we always have exceptionally good students win the award and I'm proud of the quality of student attending AU these days.  Much more focused that I was. 

1 minute ago, drsteve87 said:

AU64,

You may not be talking to the right people. The administration at the College of Veterinary Medicine is very aware of the high cost of tuition and have been working to create scholarships or financial aid for vet school students. Call the Dean's office and speak to Dr Dan Givens - Associate Dean for academics and an all around good guy . His office is extremely helpful and he's always available to talk to prospective students. 

Thanks...I talked to the person who said she was responsible for financial aid for the Vet School.  She was polite and said we should send an application but she was also honest and her only encouragement was the comment that sometimes an individual sees an application that appeals to them and might provide support.   What they have seems to start after the first year and no way she can gamble $50 K on the possibility of getting aid the next year or two.

I appreciate the suggestion and might do that....but frankly the math is way out of balance....and to my surprise, the AU Vet School was less well regarded than I expected and it's hard to believe the school can get away with the tuition cost. 

I'm Auburn through and through....my grand daughter on the other hand is more pragmatic and not gonna go in debt for half her life to go to AU when she can graduated from the NC State program for about 1/3 to 1/2  the cost.   Thanks for the guidance.... I may see what Dr Givens says....I've not quite given up on Abby yet.. :)

8 hours ago, twilli13 said:

I hate to be Debbie Downer here and burst everyone's bubble on trashing Leath for the almost Pearl firing, but is everyone 100% confident we arent one of the 6 schools about to be named for level 1 violations in basketball? Seems folks are forgetting that's still out there or everyone thinks we are in the clear. 

Absolutely not worried. We went to extreme and sat two players. We could only be in trouble with the NCAA for playing an unqualified player . The transactions took place in between seasons. Also there absolutely no evidence that we paid a player to play for us this was all about taking money from an agent for the NBA after playing at AU. Only thing that was going on was to ensure that this did not affect anyone but Person and once that was proven AU was clear of all else.

JUST some info:

Auburn endowment        $738,000,000

Harvard endowment  $38,300,000,000

La Tech                                  $99,000,000

Acceptance rate :

Auburn  81%    $22,000 after aid. huge in state discounts added in this average. Most out of staters will pay much more.

Harvard 5%  Av cost after aid $15,000.  Those in lower income brackets pay less.    %10 of your salary up to max tuition in or out of state.

29 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Acceptance rate :

Auburn  81%    $22,000 after aid. huge in state discounts added in this average. Most out of staters will pay much more.

Sure wish they would wave that for legacies.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Where is this debunked??..   I just went through all the financial aid stuff  comparing the schools.   The deciding factor for my kid was : Harvard doesn't have an Aerospace program.  Their closest degree was Astrophysics. 

Harvard is an extreme example (they have the worlds largest endowment ... i believe in the Billions).  You can send your kid to Harvard for 10% of your yearly income.  $100,000 family sends their kid for $10, 000.   Not including other schollys the school offers.     Auburn's 2nd highest scholly doesn't even cover half of Auburn's total cost.  The Legacy Scholarship  is a joke.  So whatever you make OoS cost will add up to  $30,000 a year to send your kid to Auburn without some kind of outside aid. 

This is why it is so difficult to get into Harvard.  They only take the cream of the crop,   but they have a huge pool of the best students because they help those with the work ethic, grades and test scores but without the financial means.  Vandy is similar.  Vandy does not want ANY of their student graduating with student loan debts. They willingly accept and sincerely help good students from ANY economic background.   In turn the alum have no debts,  and give to the school's endowment.  Usually in LARGE chunks because they are thankful for what the school did for them.   I don't remember the numbers,  but it was something ridiculous like 90% of the students graduate with ZERO debt at  HU and VU .

I’m gonna stay out of the argument. This was said earlier in this thread:

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m gonna stay out of the argument. This was said earlier in this thread:

Hope I am not coming across as argumentative.  Just putting this info out there for those with kids graduating next year.  I was floored when I saw the numbers.  All the "ivy league is too expensive" myths had gotten to me.  When the numbers were crunched  I was appalled,  and very angry at Auburn.   I am still not happy with Auburn's financing,  but I am happy my boy choose Auburn.

There is NO question FULL  cost to attend  ivy league schools is a lot more  that the FULL cost to go to AU.     What is not being discussed is the cost after scholarship money each school offers.   ALL else equal ( same grades,  same finances , the  same exact  student. )   Student gets $120,000 year discount at Harvard bringing his cost to $10-15k  (90% off)  But Auburn only gives the same student  $25k per year  bringing total cost after AU scholarship  aprox  $33k   (43% off)      When you are talking average cost,  you have to think that the millionaire parents pay the FULL  price at Harvard.  The average man gets huge scholarships.    But my kid,  your kid,  and jared52's kids are able to go to Harvard for much less than AU... (assuming you and Jared 52 are also not millionaires.)  It is just VERY VERY difficult to get acceptance.  

20 hours ago, DAG said:

First of all, I have lived in Arkansas. I was there when he made his run at Shiloh and grew into the national ranks at Springdale with the Springdale 5. You talk a lot for someone who doesn’t even know the variables of a place. Have you ever stepped foot inside of the state of Arkansas to make such generalizations? Like here, Gus is a polarizing figure at Arkansas. Half the state loves him; half the state hates him. The majority of the state hated him once he left Arkansas and ended up at Auburn. His dislike was exacerbated when he recruited the likes of Dyer and KF to Auburn successfully. He did himself no favors when he returned to Arkansas State.

Now, during the 2017 season, a good amount of their fans were curious about his motives. They were suspiciously open to him coming there. Mike Irwin, who is one of the most trusted media figures on the hill, called Gus’s bluff and knew it was a maneuver to get leverage and security at Auburn (rightfully so). Another thing to consider was at the time, Arkansas AD, Jeff Long was at odds with Gus. When Gus made the trip back to Jonesboro, he wanted the Arkansas gig, but he was passed up for BB (who was a quality hire at the time). This did not sit well with Gus (insider information, Arkansas politics, blah, blah).

Anywho, during the tumultuous 2017 season Long finally got the boot. More of it to do with his hiring of BB and the failure of a contract, but insiders also reported there was a hand to make room for Gus as a clear way to satisfy Gus’s worry as well. They offered him a significant amount of money and autonomy. The fans wanted him to prove that he loves the state, so why not take this offer once and for all. Now, seeing how Gus moves in the past, I seriously doubt he honestly wanted to go to Arkansas. Gus knows it is terribly hard to win at Arkansas and one of the biggest critiques he got from the fans on the hill and the hogville brass which was against the hire is that he was not winning with Auburn talent and he needed a DT QB to win. However, once again, they were at a prove me wrong mindset. I don’t know why you think Arkansas has a "poor little ole me" mentality, but they do not. And they don’t respect Auburn. After Petrino came and was successful there, they know their heights, and they expect to get back to that level, so just being happy with the Shreveport bowl is egregiously inaccurate. Gus knows this, as well.

Gus did not want to go back to Arkansas. Period. He knows he has it good at Auburn, despite all of the hooplas that surrounds his name. Arkansas now knows that too, and he is very much disliked by the majority of the fanbase now. He still has his Springdale loyalist, but they are few and in between.  Sorry about my rant to the others out there. But I wanted to displace baseless generalizations.

First off i have a lot of family in Arkansas. My brother and 2 uncles work for Tyson Corporate in Springdale. I have another brother who lives in Alabama but also works for Tyson and is in Springdale 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes for weeks and sometimes for months at a time. 

I just know what my family has told me. But i dont see how that is relative in the least bit. Should i have had to step foot in Wilmington North Carolina to know how loved Michael Jordan was to the state? I dont think so. 

A VERY large portion of the state ABSOLUTELY LOVES Malzahn. Will everyone on the state? Of course not. He beat the hell out of teams. That doesnt change the FACT he is a coaching legend in the state. 

And as far as the rest... Of course they feel jaded now. He very well may have killed his ability to ever coach there again. 

However that was not the case in late November/early December of 2017. 

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First off i have a lot of family in Arkansas. My brother and 2 uncles work for Tyson Corporate in Springdale. I have another brother who lives in Alabama but also works for Tyson and is in Springdale 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes for weeks and sometimes for months at a time. 

I just know what my family has told me. But i dont see how that is relative in the least bit. Should i have had to step foot in Wilmington North Carolina to know how loved Michael Jordan was to the state? I dont think so. 

A VERY large portion of the state ABSOLUTELY LOVES Malzahn. Will everyone on the state? Of course not. He beat the hell out of teams. That doesnt change the FACT he is a coaching legend in the state. 

And as far as the rest... Of course they feel jaded now. He very well may have killed his ability to ever coach there again. 

However that was not the case in late November/early December of 2017. 

Yeah and I LIVED there for several years. Lived in Springdale and Fayetteville.  Big DIFFERENCE. Know what the heck you are talking about before you call others naive. 

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

A VERY large portion of the state ABSOLUTELY LOVES Malzahn. Will everyone on the state? Of course not. He beat the hell out of teams. That doesnt change the FACT he is a coaching legend in the state. . 

However that was not the case ...in late November/early December of 2017. 

I have to agree with DAG on this one.  I live in Arkansas.  I would have to say the majority of the state hates Gus.  Gus did to Arkansas the same thing he does at every school....  polarizes the fan base.   Some fans see him as a savior,  the other half see him as a scam artist.  The majority in Arkansas lean toward scam artist.         

With the hope of ANY coach other than Burt,  a lot of anti malzahn crowd changed their mind and jumped on the "Gus is great.  Arkansas is back!"  bandwagon.  they jumped off just as quickly when Gus turned them down.  Some of the pro malzahn crowd swung then the other way.  You have to understand that Arkansas is basically bama without the titles.  Any coach they have or think they will get is a God,  and Arkansas is unstoppable with that coach.... until he leaves.

Wonder what this will mean to Malzahn's future on the Plains. IMO, with Leath stepping down as Auburn's president, I believe he was Malzahn's last life line.

I'm one of those weird guys who has been immersed in the academic world for decades at a high level, yet I still enjoy college sports, especially Auburn.

So I want a President whose got academics in his blood, who really understands the world of academics, and who wants to grow Auburn as a much better academic institution. I never knew much about Leath in that regard. I knew he had a vision to increase the number of tenured faculty, which Auburn needs to do desperately, but his vision was way short of what I think is needed. He pulled off getting a medical school on campus. And he got that new performing arts facility and cobbled together funding for the first year of interesting performances. I never thought I'd see anything like that at Auburn, and because of those things I had a pretty positive view of him.

I do not get into the inner workings of the university and I'm completely skeptical of the BOT and state commitment to education. And I will say that, driving out Leath after less than 2 years -- this is going to make it much harder to find a new president who is worth a crap, especially given all the other factors affecting Auburn that potential candidates would see as problems.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

ALL else equal ( same grades,  same finances , the  same exact  student. )   Student gets $120,000 year discount at Harvard bringing his cost to $10-15k  (90% off)  But Auburn only gives the same student  $25k per year  bringing total cost after AU scholarship  aprox  $33k   (43% off)     

That is indeed very appalling. Mind blowing, even.  

2 hours ago, wde21 said:

The board has recommended Gogue as interim today.

Didn't take long to get him back on the job...someone must have had him on speed dial the past week or so.  Kind of takes the pressure off to make a fast decision though I understand the search could take up to a year...to get someone actually on the job. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Didn't take long to get him back on the job...someone must have had him on speed dial the past week or so.  Kind of takes the pressure off to make a fast decision though I understand the search could take up to a year...to get someone actually on the job. 

Considering AU is still paying him,. He needed to get back to work... 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Someone check on E!

What do you mean? I RTed it & posted it on Face. Gwill had already posted it here in the wrestlingf thread.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

The legacy stuff is mostly BS I think.  Me, my brother, his wife and one of his children all went to AU....My wife and I have sponsored a scholarship in the Business School for 20 years.........means nothing.   I love Au and what it did for my life but I'm the end of the line in our family...

Well I’m starting AU’s Graduate Business School’s full-time MBA program in August, so feel free to hook your boy up with that scholarship haha. 

5 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Well I’m starting AU’s Graduate Business School’s full-time MBA program in August, so feel free to hook your boy up with that scholarship haha. 

See Lisa Cole....you never know....good luck. Got my MBA in 1966...:)

Archived