Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

15 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Absolutely not worried. We went to extreme and sat two players. We could only be in trouble with the NCAA for playing an unqualified player . The transactions took place in between seasons. Also there absolutely no evidence that we paid a player to play for us this was all about taking money from an agent for the NBA after playing at AU. Only thing that was going on was to ensure that this did not affect anyone but Person and once that was proven AU was clear of all else.

a good candidate would be uat, they knowingly played colin sexton who was paid while playing

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm one of those weird guys who has been immersed in the academic world for decades at a high level, yet I still enjoy college sports, especially Auburn.

So I want a President whose got academics in his blood, who really understands the world of academics, and who wants to grow Auburn as a much better academic institution. I never knew much about Leath in that regard. I knew he had a vision to increase the number of tenured faculty, which Auburn needs to do desperately, but his vision was way short of what I think is needed. He pulled off getting a medical school on campus. And he got that new performing arts facility and cobbled together funding for the first year of interesting performances. I never thought I'd see anything like that at Auburn, and because of those things I had a pretty positive view of him.

I do not get into the inner workings of the university and I'm completely skeptical of the BOT and state commitment to education. And I will say that, driving out Leath after less than 2 years -- this is going to make it much harder to find a new president who is worth a crap, especially given all the other factors affecting Auburn that potential candidates would see as problems.

Do you think we’ll have to offer any prospective president a hefty buyout? 😉

13 hours ago, AURex said:

I'm one of those weird guys who has been immersed in the academic world for decades at a high level, yet I still enjoy college sports, especially Auburn.

So I want a President whose got academics in his blood, who really understands the world of academics, and who wants to grow Auburn as a much better academic institution. I never knew much about Leath in that regard. I knew he had a vision to increase the number of tenured faculty, which Auburn needs to do desperately, but his vision was way short of what I think is needed. He pulled off getting a medical school on campus. And he got that new performing arts facility and cobbled together funding for the first year of interesting performances. I never thought I'd see anything like that at Auburn, and because of those things I had a pretty positive view of him.

I do not get into the inner workings of the university and I'm completely skeptical of the BOT and state commitment to education. And I will say that, driving out Leath after less than 2 years -- this is going to make it much harder to find a new president who is worth a crap, especially given all the other factors affecting Auburn that potential candidates would see as problems.

Thanks...appreciate your observations.   Most of the griping I was aware of regarding Leath was because of football and Gus ….which I never took seriously as far as him doing a good job as President of the school.  Obviously there was more to it.   He had a good background in Auburn type universities ...ISU and NCSU but did not fit at AU.   If it was obvious to the BOT that it was not working out....and not likely to work out....then good to make the break and everyone move on. 

JMO but I'd be surprised to see someone from the inside get the job.....does not see the way things are done in academic circles.    

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He had a good background in Auburn type universities ...ISU and NCSU

I've even seen that background heavily questioned. Seems the guy has left a wake of scandal at previous stops. I didn't pay much attention at the time but it seems the hire was an unpopular one from the beginning. Just what I've read. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I've even seen that background heavily questioned. Seems the guy has left a wake of scandal at previous stops. I didn't pay much attention at the time but it seems the hire was an unpopular one from the beginning. Just what I've read. 

I have read that ...not sure if it was just from some favoring other candidates but involvement with historic Land Grant schools with an agricultural and engineering background seemed to be what the BOT was looking for.   Harbart came from a technical background I believe and probably wanted to keep AU prominent in that area and not make it a clone of UAT as an 'all purpose' school.   :dunno:    Leath pushed the research angle quite a bit, the engineering schools have expanded tremendously and JMO but AU kind of went back to its roots....which maybe everyone did not appreciate.

Over the years, there have been questions about what AU should be.....or how it should "evolve".   Back in my student days,  the non-technical schools were less well known but they were growing and we had evolved from API to AU when I was a freshman.   That was supposed to signify a change in the mission or something.....or give the school some added prestige.  

SO......just wondering what kind of background the next Pres will have ….which to me will be an indicator of where the BOT would like to see AU go. 

Just listened to the new 247 podcast with Marcello and Phillip Marshall. They stated that Allen Greene's job coulc be at risk since the president that hired him flamed out spectacularly. That seems... asinine right? Unless I'm missing something none of this crap going on is Allen Greene's fault. Would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have read that ...not sure if it was just from some favoring other candidates but involvement with historic Land Grant schools with an agricultural and engineering background seemed to be what the BOT was looking for.   Harbart came from a technical background I believe and probably wanted to keep AU prominent in that area and not make it a clone of UAT as an 'all purpose' school.   :dunno:    Leath pushed the research angle quite a bit, the engineering schools have expanded tremendously and JMO but AU kind of went back to its roots....which maybe everyone did not appreciate.

Over the years, there have been questions about what AU should be.....or how it should "evolve".   Back in my student days,  the non-technical schools were less well known but they were growing and we had evolved from API to AU when I was a freshman.   That was supposed to signify a change in the mission or something.....or give the school some added prestige.  

SO......just wondering what kind of background the next Pres will have ….which to me will be an indicator of where the BOT would like to see AU go. 

It seems like a hard act to balance. I actually really like the idea of Auburn sticking to what it does best—design, construction, engineering, veterinary sciences, nursing, aerospace. But I also understand the need to improve programs that Auburn isn't traditionally known for. I don't know if there's a right answer.

I like to emphasize academics and the idea of having a national reputation for producing top-quality professionals and intellectuals, so I would not want to see Auburn try and level the field (so-to-speak) among all the colleges. Our programs that we are known for we should push to improve further.

15 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Just listened to the new 247 podcast with Marcello and Phillip Marshall. They stated that Allen Greene's job coulc be at risk since the president that hired him flamed out spectacularly. That seems... asinine right? Unless I'm missing something none of this crap going on is Allen Greene's fault. Would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  

Seems more like innuendo needed to fill a time slot. Basketball and baseball shining the light on football underperformance...just by being themselves and giving their all. Plus equestrian.😉 Think anyone who matters know that AD Allen Greene is definitely part of Auburn's solution. 

On 6/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, CR said:

Gus is a very polarizing figure in Arkansas. There are some who love him and a sizable group who wanted no part of hiring him in any capacity. Mainly from the Houston Nutt/Springdale fiasco that occured while Gus was OC at Arkansas.

Given the state of Arky's program, there's zero evidence that Gus could have turned that dumpster fire around any better than Morris did/has.   There are plenty of coaches out there worse than Gus Malzahn, but there's no way on earth Gus is/was a $49 million coach in the SEC.   At that price point, Leath should have let him enjoy Fayetteville.

2 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Given the state of Arky's program, there's zero evidence that Gus could have turned that dumpster fire around any better than Morris did/has.   There are plenty of coaches out there worse than Gus Malzahn, but there's no way on earth Gus is/was a $49 million coach in the SEC.   At that price point, Leach should have let him enjoy Fayetteville.

I agree Gus couldn’t have turned that program around, but I sure would have liked to see him try.

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

That gets thrown out there anytime something like this happens.  Just throwing darts.  I would bet everything that the next President is gonna let athletics run itself with just some oversight and no meddling.  Focused on academia , growth and the student experience.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

That gets thrown out there anytime something like this happens.  Just throwing darts.  I would bet everything that the next President is gonna let athletics run itself with just some oversight and no meddling.  Focused on academia , growth and the student experience.

Go to Vegas........

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

So @The Plainsman I take it you didn't want Leath to be let go?

No,. I am perfectly fine with it.  Just not overly happy that we still have to pay him.   Why did we nudge Gouge out in the first place just to keep paying him as well?

12 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

No,. I am perfectly fine with it.  Just not overly happy that we still have to pay him.   Why did we nudge Gouge out in the first place just to keep paying him as well?

So what ARE we going to still pay Leath? I didn't know his original contract details, other than he was to make about 700,000k.

And I don't see letting him go early a problem at all. There are MANY President's in waiting who will want to interview. The issue is getting what they want. 

I also don't see a problem for AD Greene. I always felt that Leath really didn't drive this hire. Someone tell me if I am wrong. So i think he is safe so early in his career. He seems to be strong in administration, and with his sports background from Notre Dame, I feel he still is a good AD going forward...

21 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

When was Gouge nudged out? He retired and they are asking him back. I don't think they would do that if they wanted him out in the first place. His name is also on the Performing Arts building now. Just curious where you heard he was nudged out. 

11 minutes ago, gr82be said:

When was Gouge nudged out? He retired and they are asking him back. I don't think they would do that if they wanted him out in the first place. His name is also on the Performing Arts building now. Just curious where you heard he was nudged out. 

He wasn't, think he announced his retirement long before (a year maybe) in advance. He was president for ten years.

Now he may had been feeling pressure from the outside but the decision was his I believe.

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I just remember folks on here were ready to see Gouge go.  Many didn't like the way he ignored athletics and let Jacobs run his over bloated AD for years.  Many didn't care for the way he refused to get involved with the Cecil Newton fiasco. 

Maybe my memory is sketchy, I just remember many people had no problem when Gouge left & Leath came in as fresh breath of air/a new sheriff in town.:dunno:

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

I just remember folks on here were ready to see Gouge go.  Many didn't like the way he ignored athletics and let Jacobs run his over bloated AD for years.  Many didn't care for the way he refused to get involved with the Cecil Newton fiasco. 

Maybe my memory is sketchy, I just remember many people had no problem when Gouge left & Leath came in as fresh breath of air/a new sheriff in town.:dunno:

Can't argue with your observations on the Gogue/Leath transition, but I'll say this: the main difference I see now is Jacobs vs Greene. Jacobs was an Auburn good ol' boy first and AD second. Greene is the opposite. IMO

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't argue with your observations on the Gogue/Leath transition, but I'll say this: the main difference I see now is Jacobs vs Greene. Jacobs was an Auburn good ol' boy first and AD second. Greene is the opposite. IMO

Agreed!

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Thanks.....some folks have been promoting that view who apparently know nothing about it....maybe just looking for something negative to cast on the pile.  Gouge , like any president, had his faults...but he did a great job of creating the outstanding campus that is Auburn University today.   And if we are paying him anything …. some kind of pension or deferred income.....IMO,  it's because he earned it.  Some people might not have like Gouge because they didn't like JJ which in my view, shows a real shallow view of what a university president should do.  

As for Greene.....can't imagine why he would be at risk....apparently has done nothing to be at odds with the BOT and seems to be running a "drama-free" athletic department for the moment....unless something were to turn up with the basketball program that reflects on him.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks.....some folks have been promoting that view who apparently know nothing about it....maybe just looking for something negative to cast on the pile.  Gouge , like any president, had his faults...but he did a great job of creating the outstanding campus that is Auburn University today.   And if we are paying him anything …. some kind of pension or deferred income.....IMO,  it's because he earned it.  Some people might not have like Gouge because they didn't like JJ which in my view, shows a real shallow view of what a university president should do.  

As for Greene.....can't imagine why he would be at risk....apparently has done nothing to be at odds with the BOT and seems to be running a "drama-free" athletic department for the moment....unless something were to turn up with the basketball program that reflects on him.

I don't remember one way or the other at this point, just what I looked up in the past day or so. I really just want someone to let AG do his job and take the approach of "I'm here if you need me but remember, you are here because I need you". 

As for whether some were happy to see Gouge leave or not a wise man once told me, "Watch who you complain about because you haven't seen their replacement yet". It's been true a few times in my life. 

4 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

That could happen as that happens in the business world all of the time although JJ was not fired when Leath came in.  As an example, when you see a CEO step in they usually clear house because they want people loyal to him/her.  Same with football head coaches.  It is rare to keep the assistant coaches.  Not saying this would happen with Greene though, although if I were a candidate I would ask the BOT "Are you going to handicap me in telling me who I can/cannot hire/fire."  I can see it from that perspective as well.  

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

As for whether some were happy to see Gouge leave or not a wise man once told me, "Watch who you complain about because you haven't seen their replacement yet". It's been true a few times in my life. 

Lots of people on this site seem oblivious to this fact.     Seen this situation on all facets of life....preachers, coaches, politicians and even business leaders who were more or less "run off" only to be followed by someone worse.   Some just seem to think that God is gonna smile down on them and send the perfect replacement once they get rid of the rascal they don't like. :)     Someone noted.....I spent many years looking for the perfect woman and when I finally found her it turned out she was looking for the perfect man....which was not me. 

Marcello and Marshall have to be two of the dumbest people on the face of Earth to even suggest that Greene could be negatively impacted by Leath’s departure.  There are plenty of significant reasons why there is zero chance of this happening.  Think about it. 

Gogue will be the perfect guy to be the interim president.  He has had plenty of practice at being the caretaker.  He will do a good job.  Let’s hope the BOT won’t botch hiring the permanent guy. 

8 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Marcello and Marshall have to be two of the dumbest people on the face of Earth to even suggest that Greene could be negatively impacted by Leath’s departure.  There are plenty of significant reasons why there is zero chance of this happening.  Think about it. 

Gogue will be the perfect guy to be the interim president.  He has had plenty of practice at being the caretaker.  He will do a good job.  Let’s hope the BOT won’t botch hiring the permanent guy. 

I can't even believe Phillip Marshall would engage in such a conversation as to suggest Greene's job could be in jeopardy.  It's like PM isn't as close to the program as he pretends to be, or else he'd shoot that notion down if he is close enough to know what a value Greene brings to the table. :dead:

Archived