Null

Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

Softball Fall Ball 2019

From the PM article in the Rojas thread ...

Two junior college transfers, outfielder Jadia Jones from Chipola and left-handed pitcher Bailee Dempsey from Wallace-Dothan have joined the Auburn team.

Jones, who played at Central High School in Phenix City, hit .452 and stole 16 bases in limited action for Chipola last season. Dempsey, from Ashland, Alabama, hit .398 for Wallace-Dothan last season and was 2-0 in the circle. She is expected to concentrate on pitching at Auburn.

In addition to the start of formal practice later this month, the beginning of September is when coaches can begin to contact high school juniors. A portion of article from Softball America from August 29:

With the 2019-2020 academic year off and running at most colleges and universities around the country, fall softball recruiting is just around the corner. Before the official end of summer after Labor Day and the start of fall ball, take some time to digest the dates that prospective student-athletes (PSAs) and Division I softball coaches should keep in mind this fall. September 1 This is the heralded date for Division I softball coaches and PSAs alike. For high school juniors, this is the date that recruiting communication is able to commence with Division I coaches. On Sept. 1, softball PSAs are able to speak over the phone and via email with college coaches about recruiting, begin taking official and unofficial visits to college campuses and have conversations about recruiting at college camps and clinics. Before Sept. 1, however, Division I softball coaches are only able to express their interest in PSAs by simply telling travel ball coaches or team liaisons that they are interested. Any additional communication before Sept. 1 between PSAs and Division I coaches is prohibited by the NCAA.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Thanks 1

Since this is part of what goes on in the fall:

AUBURN, Ala. - The Auburn University softball team will be holding walk-on tryouts for currently enrolled, full-time students on Wednesday, Sept. 25. The tryout will be held at 6 p.m. CT at Jane B. Moore Field.

• Like 1

Fall ball games begin Sunday, September 29th. Times 1:30 nd 4:00. Weather outlook = HOT....likely mid 90's during game time.  Frist game Gulf Coast State (Commodores), a junior college,  located in Panama City.  New coach Scot Thomas who was previous HC at Va. Tech for 23 years.  I suspect he and CMD are acquainted especially since he is also a "Harley man" from what I can tell. Second game vs Georgia Gwinnette Grizzlies a 4 year self described metropolitan  college with approximately 12,000 students.  They are located roughly 30 miles northeast of Atlanta.  Their record last year was 45-16 but I really did not recognize any of their opponents.  They are not in a conference. 

Another note: there are a number of informal videos and photos of the gals on the AU Softball Twitter page; some running stadium steps and others team bonding related.    

• Thanks 1

Hard for me to get into softball this time of year but thanks Slot for keeping us up to date on practice and recruiting.    Despite some doubters (like me) it seems that MD has rounded up a solid roster for the coming season and added some good coaching help too.

An attractive group of young ladies.....just hoping some of them can hit...:)

6 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Was Scot Thomas the coach at VT last year?  They did pretty well last year.  Of course, their stud pitcher Eberle has since transferred to OK St.

Looks like Scot Thomas was fired in may 2018 and the new coach Pete D'Amour was hired at the end of that month and turned the program around in a major way.

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hard for me to get into softball this time of year but thanks Slot for keeping us up to date on practice and recruiting.    Despite some doubters (like me) it seems that MD has rounded up a solid roster for the coming season and added some good coaching help too.

An attractive group of young ladies.....just hoping some of them can hit...:)

Pretty much agree AU64 except I am fairly anxious  to see some of the new players and hope to travel down to see a couple of fall games.  A number of the players who have arrived have been advertised as having good skills and I believe there is potential to be better at the plate.  Our overall record last season was 39-21 and that was without our best pitcher from about mid-season on.  We lost 8 games by 1 run and had difficulty getting those "timely hits" so looking at improvement there.  Three of those 1 run losses were in conference games and one was a regional game.  Unfortunate Harris decided to transfer but hoping Dismukes is as good as advertised and that our two returning pitchers have continued to progress.  Surely coach sees potential in the others or would not have them on the team.  Also interested to see player response to revamped coaching staff.   If my wife is willing to brave the heat hope to go next Sunday.  Got to start getting familiar with all those new faces and numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Fall ball games begin Sunday, September 29th. Times 1:30 nd 4:00. Weather outlook = HOT....likely mid 90's during game time.  Frist game Gulf Coast State (Commodores), a junior college,  located in Panama City.  New coach Scot Thomas who was previous HC at Va. Tech for 23 years.  I suspect he and CMD are acquainted especially since he is also a "Harley man" from what I can tell. Second game vs Georgia Gwinnette Grizzlies a 4 year self described metropolitan  college with approximately 12,000 students.  They are located roughly 30 miles northeast of Atlanta.  Their record last year was 45-16 but I really did not recognize any of their opponents.  They are not in a conference. 

Another note: there are a number of informal videos and photos of the gals on the AU Softball Twitter page; some running stadium steps and others team bonding related.    

My oldest niece goes there didn't even know they had a softball team

As usual, will look forward to reading your observations if/when you are able to go.  Lots of questions to answer this fall.  I have to think both Godwin and Maresette will be in the batting order.  Who plays in the field, and where?  Will Calvert play center?  She has a great rep as a fielder.  What about second?  Koepke, Florian, Perry, and Garcia are all infielders.

2 hours ago, wareagle1969 said:

When was Handley not throwing?

Yeah. I didn't understand that statement either.

I really think Lexie is the key. She has the best pitching weapons to keep the good teams at bay. While I love Swindle's heart and control, she is going to keep us in the game but will give up too many runs if she is matched up against the other team's ace. 

3 hours ago, wareagle1969 said:

When was Handley not throwing?

She was shut down after the last game of the year to try to help resolve ongoing back issues that bothered most of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Softball 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/9/26/softball-tigers-begin-fall-schedule-with-sunday-doubleheader.aspx

Tigers begin Fall Schedule with Sunday Doubleheader

AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn softball team will open its 2019 fall exhibition schedule with a doubleheader against Gulf Coast State College on Sunday. The two teams will start the afternoon with a 1:30 p.m. first pitch, before playing a second game after a 30-minute intermission.

Dean and his staff will begin their fall slate of games with 14 new faces, including nine freshmen, four transfers and one sophomore addition.

"This weekend is really an opportunity for our players to show what they can do against someone besides a teammate," head coach Mickey Dean said. "It gives us an opportunity to look at some combinations of things that we want to see."

Six seniors will be the cornerstone for this season's squad with Tannon Snow and Justus Perry anchoring the corner infield positions with Alyssa Rivera roaming the outfield. Ashlee Swindle returns to the pitching circle whereas Brittany Maresette and Rachel Cook will add productivity on the bases.

Snow and Perry are coming off 60-game junior seasons, while Swindle, who led the team with 132.1 innings pitched a season ago, was 11-8 with a 2.96 ERA in the pitching circle.

"I think where our seniors can really help is the communication part," Dean said. "And making sure players don't feel like they're on an island and helping them with off-the-field stuff and those types of things."

Admission to all home fall games is free to the public. Concessions will also be available. There will be an autograph session for fans following the conclusion of Sunday's second game.

Before facing GCSC on Sunday, Auburn will host an intersquad scrimmage Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.

Can anyone put names with faces?  I can get the easy ones:. Tannon, Justus, Brittany, Alyssa, Makenna, and maybe a couple that I could guess at (new hair styles tend to throw me off).   I'll say this, "Auburn certainly has a beautiful group of girls on the softball team".   

OK, here's my take.  Jadia Jones is the tiny girl front right.  Behind her are Tyler King in pink and Aspyn Godwin in yellow.  Yarbrough is the blonde front and center.  Dempsey has the white shirt and bare feet.  Swindle and Maresette are mobbed up on the left, with Handley behind them.  Perry and Dowell are over there also.  Rachel Cook in the blue T-shirt in the back, with Majors and McCondichie in front of her.  McCondichie has her hand up.  Cavanaugh the tall girl in back center.  To her left are Engelkes and Rivera.  The 3-girl group in front of Rivera consists of Snow, Garcia and Dismukes with the honey blonde hair.  The two behind the table whose faces flank Dempsey's are Calvert on the left and Koepke on the right.    

Not shown:  Tissier, Nillen, Florian, and Madi Perry.

As always when I'm involved, errors are possible: but I'm pretty confident of these IDs.  I guess I should have said, I'm using the margarita picture.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn's Dean: Softball focus is on winning

ByPHILLIP MARSHALL 
9448984.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off
Senior Alyssa Rivera hit .333 with 10 home runs last season. (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama – For Auburn softball, much has changed since the end of last season. Two pitchers and five starting position players are gone. Mickey Dean is headed toward his third season as head coach, but he has a new coaching staff and new operations director.

It’s time, Dean said on a late September afternoon, to win.

There is a new comfort level for Dean, who hired Hall of Fame coach Eugene Lenti to coach Auburn hitters. He later hired highly successful junior college Ruby Rojas. He worked with Lenti in the pro softball league and coached Rojas when she was on the Venezuelan national team. Leisa Lee moved from Tigers Unlimited to run softball operations. Former Auburn All-American Emily Carosone returns for her third season as the volunteer coach.

“Very much so,” Dean said. “I feel good about our direction. We didn’t come here looking for immediate gratification. We’re building something. There had to be a foundation. The foundation, I couldn’t make about wins and losses. Now we are starting to move in that direction.”

The Tigers, who open fall exhibition play with a doubleheader against Gulf Coast Community College on Sunday at 1:30 p.m., welcome a recruiting class ranked by some in the nation’s top 10. Dean expects those rankings to rise in 2020 and 2021.

Right fielder Alyssa Rivera, third baseman Tannon Snow and first baseman Justus Perry, all seniors, are likely starters. Rivera hit .333 with 10 home runs last season and is Auburn’s leading returning hitter. Snow hit .320 with 15 home runs and shared the team lead in RBIs with 48. Perry struggled but finished strong. Every other position, Dean says, is up for grabs.

In the pitching circle, Lexie Handley and Ashlee Swindle return from last season. KK Dismukes is a highly decorated signee. Samantha Yarborough is a transfer from South Alabama.

“We are putting people in different positions, rotating people through,” Dean said. “We want to give people an opportunity to go out there and win a spot. If you are going to win, you have to have pitching and hitting. That’s really been our big focus.”

Last season’s team had a big postseason, reaching the semifinals of the SEC Tournament and going to the championship round in the Arizona regional. It was, Dean believes, a turning point in his program. That turning point seemed far away after the Tigers were swept at Arkansas in the final series of the regular season.

“Just to see what they did in the postseason, especially coming off the sweep at Arkansas was amazing,” Dean said. “They had a different swagger. After Arkansas, we probably the best talk we had in two years. That team played really hard.”

The Tigers of last spring lost All-America pitcher Makayla Martin in the first series of the SEC season. Ashlee Swindle took a vicious line drive off her face in Arizona. Others fought injuries. Still, they pushed on.

“When you look at the SEC Tournament and the regional, Justus was hurt, Taylon (Snow) was out, (Kendall) Veach was hurt, Bree (Fornis) was hurt, Alyssa was hurt,” Dean said. “You were short a pitcher and you are asking in postseason after these young ladies had already pitched more innings than ever expected.”

Auburn has yet to release the 2020 schedule, but Dean said it will be one of the more difficult in school history. Before the start of SEC play, the Tigers will go west to play defending national champion UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State and California. They will also play Northwestern, one of the favorites to win the Big Ten.

“You can’t go into the SEC having never faced that kind of competition,” Dean said.

">247Sports
  • Like 1

I appreciate the fact that Phillip Marshall at least keeping in touch with the softball program and writes articles like the one above.  I realize it is only "fall ball" but I try to check several sources for any AU softball related stories (Plainsman, Opelika-Auburn News and Montgomery Advertiser) and often Phillip is the only one actually providing some insight as to what is going on.  

• Like 1

The softball News page reports that we "won" today's game, even though no official score was kept, nor given in the article.  Sounds like we definitely won, though, as Auburn recorded 28 hits in the 12-inning game, compared to single digit hits for Gulf Coast.  The originally scheduled DH was changed to a single 15-inning game, and that was foreshortened, presumably due to time.  Five pitchers threw for Auburn (all except Dismukes).  Tyler King and Rivera had 3 hits each, with 8 players having multiple hits.