Softball Fall Ball 2019

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Richard Fitts is gonna be a bad bad man this season

We need all the bad men we can get.  I'd REALLY like to have one behind the plate...somebody like Munson, or even Varitek.

Image result for varitek fight with rodriguez yankees

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

We need all the bad men we can get.  I'd REALLY like to have one behind the plate...somebody like Munson, or even Varitek.

Image result for varitek fight with rodriguez yankees

Agree on Munson.................. but Varitek is a ga. tech guy so he's a bum to me

On 10/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Richard Fitts is gonna be a bad bad man this season

He is!!  I am excited to see what he can do on the mound!

I think Brooks Fuller will be good too. He hit a little rough patch in 2019 but he was doing very well before that. He also had a really good summer. 

I think we'll have another fun season of baseball in 2020. 

Softball

10/17/2019

Auburn caps fall exhibition schedule by hosting AUM

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn softball will conclude its fall exhibition schedule when the Tigers host Auburn University at Montgomery Friday night. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. CT at Jane B. Moore Field.

"I just want to continue to see us grow and get better," head coach Mickey Dean said. "We've done a nice job this fall of getting better each week and now this is the last opportunity we have to this (calendar) year to play outside competition and showcase how hard the girls have been working as a team and as individuals."

Auburn is coming off a nine-inning victory at Georgia Tech last Thursday. The Tigers totaled 11 strikeouts, including striking out three consecutive batters on multiple occasions, and 15 hits throughout the contest against the Yellow Jackets.

Through seven fall exhibition games over the last three weeks, Auburn has not dropped a contest.

"We are still going to play everybody (against AUM)," Dean said. "We're going to try to get everyone in and play as many innings as we can, because this is our last opportunity this (calendar) year to really go out and show us as coaches and the fans the work they've done."

As per all fall exhibition home games, admission is free to the public. There will be limited concessions serving bottled beverages, assorted candy and snacks.

Following the game, Dean and the softball program will host an informational meeting regarding On Deck Club. Agenda items for the fourth-year club include levels of membership, allocation of funds, upcoming team events and club updates. A registration table for new members who would like to join will be set up following the meeting.

Print Friendly Version

AUM went 43-12 in the 2019 season, although they didn't play any DI teams.  I noticed they were shut out 3 consecutive games by West Florida.   Maybe West Florida had a good pitcher?

Softball

Tigers drop fall exhibition finale

AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn softball team dropped its final fall exhibition of the 2019 calendar year as Auburn University at Montgomery pulled ahead in the late innings, then fended off several Tiger rallies. The game was called after a pre-determined 10 innings.

"You always want to show progress," said head coach Mickey Dean. "We didn't swing it as well tonight, especially with runners in scoring position. But, for the fall, I thought we made great progress."

In what turned into a low-scoring affair between the two teams, Ashlee Swindle got the start against AUM and went four innings, struck out two batters, surrendered one hit and allowed one unearned run.

From there, Lexie Handley took the reins and scattered four hits over the next four innings. Handley allowed two earned runs during the top of the eighth inning. Samantha Yarbrough and Bailee Dempsey went the eighth and ninth innings, respectively, and did not allow a run.

On the evening, the quartet of Auburn pitchers struck out five batters and issued only one walk.

"(The pitching) wasn't bad," Dean said. "One thing we talked about, when we scored a run and our pitcher comes out, instead of having a shutdown inning, which is what you need from your pitcher, we give up two runs."

Auburn's run came during the bottom of the seventh when Haley Nillen, who pinched hit for Lindsey Garcia, banked a double off the top of the left-field fence, which plated Brittany Maresette from first and tied the game.

The Tigers had an opportunity to take the lead in the seventh and ninth innings, but were unable to capitalize with runners on second and third in both innings.

additional info. from the twitter page:

EHMf2icXUAER6IZ.jpg

Tyler King was back in CF.  The Twitter account indicates later that Dowell 3B, Koepke SS, M. Perry 2B, Calvert LF and Godwin C.  Do not see any indication that Tannon played.  

This from the AUM softball site:

AUBURN, Ala. --- The Auburn Montgomery softball team defeated the Tigers of Auburn University 3-1 in a 10-inning scrimmage game on Friday, Oct. 18 from Jane B. Moore Field. 

The victory marks for AUM's second scrimmage win over an SEC school in the last two seasons. The Warhawks bested the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Ala. 5-4 in fall scrimmage action on Oct. 7, 2018.

"We're all very excited about Friday's outcome, and also very grateful towards Auburn University for being such a great host," Head Coach Eric Newell said. "This is another big moment that's going to do nothing but benefit our program moving forward." 

Maddie Parks led AUM at the plate, with a two-hit performance. Lauren Haskins added an RBI triple, while Olivia Aycock accounted for an RBI groundout. Jaycie Walker and Parker Pinholster both also logged a hit for the Warhawks in the game. 

In the circle for the Warhawks, Chanel Newcomer and Alanna Goble combined to toss all 10 innings. The duo allowed just one earned run on six hits, while walking just one batter and collecting six strikeouts. 

Newcomer struck out four, while allowing just one earned run and four hits over 6.1 innings. Goble pitched the final 3.2 innings of the game for the Orange and Black, giving up no runs on two hits and striking out two.

The Warhawks will return to action on Friday, Oct. 25 at Coastal Alabama Community College South. 

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

So who edited my post from 5:27 yesterday to remove part of it?  It included the news article on the AUM game from the softball page.

Normally, there is  a "light grey" notation at the top and bottom of the page when it has been edited??????  Strange.

thanks for pointing that out.  Maybe I forgot to hit the "Save" button; but I left the page, and came back a few hours later to find you had responded.  At that time, my paste of the article was still in place.  No big deal, just trying to understand how things work.  

I presume fall ball is winding down.  I know they have another intra-squad game scheduled this afternoon; a battle between the Blueberries and Pumpkins as the designated teams.  None of this boring Orange and Blue stuff.  Just some observations from my attending a couple of double headers.  I feel we are developing some quality depth at all positions.  I was impressed with the transfer King in CF.  Thought Garcia was good at 2nd.  Florian did some good things at 3rd.  Appear to be a lot of good athletes on the team and several with very good speed.  Most everyone looked "comfortable" at the plate.  I was surprised we did not hit more balls over the fence; thought I would see more.  One player we did not see was KK Dismukes who was held out to rest her arm.  She could be a factor if good as advertised both as a pitcher and hitter.  She comes from a 4A school and was dominant in that category.  At the plate she had 179 at bats and hit .587 with 23 HR.  If she gets healthy she could make a difference in our season.  Kind of hate to get my hopes up over a player we have not seen.  Just a few brief thoughts on my part.  Maybe someone else attended games and could add their impressions.  

Thanks for your observations.  I read earlier how the players are being coached to produce base hits, and let the homers come where they may.

I agree we should be solid in the field. I don't see our being dominant in the circle, so I think the success of our season will depend on our hitting. Hoping Coach Lenti can instill the proper approach. Will be interesting to see Dismukes in the spring.

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I presume fall ball is winding down.  I know they have another intra-squad game scheduled this afternoon; a battle between the Blueberries and Pumpkins as the designated teams.  None of this boring Orange and Blue stuff.  Just some observations from my attending a couple of double headers.  I feel we are developing some quality depth at all positions.  I was impressed with the transfer King in CF.  Thought Garcia was good at 2nd.  Florian did some good things at 3rd.  Appear to be a lot of good athletes on the team and several with very good speed.  Most everyone looked "comfortable" at the plate.  I was surprised we did not hit more balls over the fence; thought I would see more.  One player we did not see was KK Dismukes who was held out to rest her arm.  She could be a factor if good as advertised both as a pitcher and hitter.  She comes from a 4A school and was dominant in that category.  At the plate she had 179 at bats and hit .587 with 23 HR.  If she gets healthy she could make a difference in our season.  Kind of hate to get my hopes up over a player we have not seen.  Just a few brief thoughts on my part.  Maybe someone else attended games and could add their impressions.  

So was KK somewhat nursing an injury? Not sure how she can have a tired arm in fall ball.

14 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

She pitched a strenuous summer with travel ball, tournaments, tryouts for the USA team, etc., and Dean opted to rest her arm this fall.

It's very encouraging that she was invited to try out for Team USA.  They are very selective about pitchers getting to tryout. 

On 10/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

I read earlier how the players are being coached to produce base hits, and let the homers come where they may.

Some of baseball's best hitting coaches preach this to anyone who will take coaching. My casual observation is that homers come more easily in softball, but the "hit it hard, not long, high or far" theory should still work.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Some of baseball's best hitting coaches preach this to anyone who will take coaching. My casual observation is that homers come more easily in softball, but the "hit it hard, not long, high or far" theory should still work.

CCM has always used the philosophy that a HR is just a by-product of a good swing. So true.

Archived