Harper and Brown sign FA deals

gravejd

I imagine this is mentioned in another thread but i thought it deserved its own. Both Harper and Brown signed FA deals after the draft. Brown signed with Sacramento and Harper signed with Phoenix. It's a great accomplishment for both players. They both will have an uphill climb to make it in the league but getting to this point is further than most who play the game will ever get. These are also 2 young men who made it this far the Auburn way. Through work...hard work. A 3 year and 4 year player who came to Auburn and helped raise this basketball program to places never seen before. 2 players who never once sniffed one iota of controversy while at AU.....like it or not AU is an underdog. It's who we are and who we have always been. We rarely top the charts when it comes to recruiting classes, we don't typically have the nicest facilities, other schools have donors with more money, or alumni bases that dwarf ours. But that doesn't stop us from standing toe to toe with all the big dogs. Whether it be baseball, football, swimming, equestrian, and now basketball AU finds a way to rise to the tops of every sport in spite of the "disadvantages" that we have. Thats why i say these are guys that truly personify what AU is. A scrappy as hell underdog that doesn't know how to stop fighting.....so we keep fighting because it's our DNA...it's who we are. 

Congrats Harper and Brown and best of luck in whatever comes next.  Thank you for all the memories!!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hated to see JH go...but the dye is cast now so hope he is successful in the NBA but failing that, there are other professional options for him where he can continue to develop his game.  

Ty probably has the edge with his frame and Book already being a leaky defender. JH is going to have to prove he doesn’t amplify that problem. I think he’s a better floor general than Jerome though, plus he’s more used to a freelance offense, which will probably be UVA’s go to system initially (not discrediting Monty Williams btw)

After the draft I read the Suns are really trying to improve with their shooting.  Not sure if some noticed, but they got roasted for taking Cameron Johnson (46%3PT) at 11.  Most people didn't have him ranked in the top 25.  Makes it tough on Jared though as they took Ty in the 1st as well at PG.  Hes just gonna have to shoot lights out this summer, thats his best shot. 

To me, BB is a shorter Danny Green. Great transition D, consistent shooter, great work ethic and teammate, and both struggle dribbling. If BB can continue to build his 2pt game and half-court D, then he should be able to hang around a while. I mean JJ Reddick has...

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

Thats why i say these are guys that truly personify what AU is. A scrappy as hell underdog that doesn't know how to stop fighting.....so we keep fighting because it's our DNA...it's who we are. 

Love It!!

Wanna quote this in my profile.

:hail:

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, BB is a shorter Danny Green. Great transition D, consistent shooter, great work ethic and teammate, and both struggle dribbling. If BB can continue to build his 2pt game and half-court D, then he should be able to hang around a while. I mean JJ Reddick has...

I wanted Bryce to get a chance with Philly because playing with a taller 1 is the ideal situation for him. Him and De'Aaron are like the same height, although both are pretty high motor defenders so maybe it'll be okay

Auburn’s Malik Dunbar to play for Golden State Warriors in NBA Summer League

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Depending on what column you read, or what sports talk radio station you might listen to, the talks of Golden State’s run ending as an NBA dynasty are raised to a little more than a murmur.

Perhaps one of the most jovial and confident players from Auburn’s Final Four team might try and change that — at least in the NBA Summer League.

The Warriors announced on Twitter that former AU forward Malik Dunbar would be on their NBA Summer League roster. In fact, his first game will be on Monday against the Sacramento Kings — where Bryce Brown is set to get his chance.

The NBA Summer League is usually a chance for younger players and fringe players to get a chance to make an impression. The head coach and none of the established players will be there. The roster also features Jimmer Fredette, national champion Eric Paschall, and Jordan Poole from, the first round pick from Michigan.

Dunbar wasn’t projected as a draft pick, and the Auburn Plainsman even reported that he was looking into a potential career in the NFL. He was never an elite shooter at Auburn — he wasn’t really elite in any category. He averaged 6.6 points and 3.2 rebounds this season, playing 18 minutes per contest. But at 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds, he has NBA size and athleticism, and it’s likely what got him this chance.

Dunbar joins Brown and Jared Harper as players looking to make an imprint in the NBA Summer League. Chuma Okeke was drafted by the Orlando Magic, but is still out with a torn ACL. Horace Spencer signed with a pro team in Argentina.

Dunbar is an interesting player. I would not be totally surprised to see him make a team.

11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Dunbar is an interesting player. I would not be totally surprised to see him make a team.

Agree.  He is that perfect last guy on the roster.  High energy, team player, great teammate, understands his role, etc.

I will miss seeing Dunbar Beast Mode at Auburn.  One of my favorites to watch last year. 

14 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Agree.  He is that perfect last guy on the roster.  High energy, team player, great teammate, understands his role, etc.

Plus, if he does make it out that scrum, he'll probably be the third 2 guard on the roster, and the best defender they got at the position (at least physically). Im just thinking about the roster they ran with last time out, but Quinn Cook was their only backup guard that could space the floor. I know they got this guy Evans that was a shooter in college and Poole but Dunbar fits their switchy system better IMO.

Edit: this is all under the auspices (not saying its good from KT's POV) Klay will be out for most of next year

Dunbar to golden state seems like a great fit. Thats a team that really doesn't need the scoring as much as they need physical/athletic players to complement the scorers that they already have. The key to Dunbar making the NBA is can he play great defense? I know while he got on Pearls bad side a couple times playing lazy defense by letting the ball handler by him  and trying to poke the ball out from behind. He'll have to improve that at the next level. 

Congrats to Dunbar on getting his chance. He was a fun one to cheer for 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, Auburn Kev said:

I wdidn't want to start a new thread. 

Horace Spencer signs with Atenas Cordoba

Horace Spencer signs with Atenas Cordoba

The Atenas Cordoba (Argentina) have signed rookie power forward Horace Spencer, the team announced.

Spencer averaged 4.2 points and four rebounds per game as a senior at Auburn.

Go down there, eat a lot of steak with chimichurri, go on a spiritual quest in Patagonia, come back to the US as the next Manu Ginobli... kid is on his way. 

I'm sure everybody on the team were told they need to get better on defense, everybody on the team could be better and EVERYBODY will have to work on their defense in the NBA. One thing going for these 3 is that they won't be counted on for their offense and they can focus on defense if needed, Harper and Brown learned this last season how difficult it can be playing defense while carrying a team......they both looked better the prior year when they weren't doing the heavy lifting

16 hours ago, gravejd said:

Dunbar to golden state seems like a great fit. Thats a team that really doesn't need the scoring as much as they need physical/athletic players to complement the scorers that they already have. The key to Dunbar making the NBA is can he play great defense? I know while he got on Pearls bad side a couple times playing lazy defense by letting the ball handler by him  and trying to poke the ball out from behind. He'll have to improve that at the next level. 

Congrats to Dunbar on getting his chance. He was a fun one to cheer for 

Def reached in too much, like blatantly dumb instances. Probably the only individual in that UK game that deserved the glut of fouls he was given 

Bryce Brown's Kings will be facing Malik Dunbar's Warriors tonight in an NBA Summer League matchup on NBA TV for those that are interested.

Very curious to see how these guys do!

11 EST/10 CST

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bryce Brown's Kings will be facing Malik Dunbar's Warriors tonight in an NBA Summer League matchup on NBA TV for those that are interested.

Very curious to see how these guys do!

11 EST/10 CST

Looking at the box score this morning it looks like neither Dunbar nor Brown ended up getting any minutes last night. Not sure exactly what conclusions to draw from that, but it doesn’t seem ideal.

15 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Looking at the box score this morning it looks like neither Dunbar nor Brown ended up getting any minutes last night. Not sure exactly what conclusions to draw from that, but it doesn’t seem ideal.

They didn't.  I watched the game in hopes of seeing them.  GSW playing tonight and it doesn't look like Dunbar will see action tonight either.  6 mins left in game. I just started watching mid 3rd quarter. 

Archived