Harper and Brown sign FA deals

gravejd

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He played 33 minutes.  On the bench for 7. Based in what I have seen in the other games with Auburn players, shows how much they think of him IMO. Clearly want to see how he handles it.  What a great show he made. 

Phoenix currently has Bricky, Jevon Carter, Jawun Evans and presumably Ty Jerome at the PG position. I dont see Evans making it on the main roster for them personally, just a hunch. Their GLeague team currently has 3 guards that I presume are PGs. Its alot of PGs in their wheel house, before waiving and letting folks go, however I feel like none of those GL guys or Evans is as intriguing as Lecque or Harper

I think Harper made a huge mistake by going "pro".  He has no real future as a "pro".

His ceiling is as a college coach.  I think he'll flame out in the "pros" within a couple years, and be back at Auburn as a BP assistant, awaiting a chance to coach a small college team for a meager salary.

And he'll regret throwing away his senior year.

Just my opinion.  But how many undrafted players end up thankful that they burned their senior year in college?  Not many, I'd wager.

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think Harper made a huge mistake by going "pro".  He has no real future as a "pro".

His ceiling is as a college coach.  I think he'll flame out in the "pros" within a couple years, and be back at Auburn as a BP assistant, awaiting a chance to coach a small college team for a meager salary.

And he'll regret throwing away his senior year.

Just my opinion.  But how many undrafted players end up thankful that they burned their senior year in college?  Not many, I'd wager.

Good grief lol, this is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on here. It’d be one thing if people weren’t remarking how impressive he’s been. You might as well typed “I don’t know anything” 

In non stupid news, Bryce looked pretty good in the minutes I saw. Was their best on ball defender, went ballistic in the beginning of the game, had a couple of his type of looks (an off the dribble 3 and a pull up middy) that definitely could’ve gone in. They ran Guy and Brown together, but I’ve seen a few people that believe mgmt hasn’t wanted to run those two together. Not for any personal reasons, just weird lineup choices. I stopped watching around the 5 min mark when BB got subbed out and apparently they didn’t bring him back out down 3 to end the game...

at least for the level he’s currently at, his height hasn’t been an issue on either end 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Good grief lol, this is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on here. It’d be one thing if people weren’t remarking how impressive he’s been. You might as well typed “I don’t know anything” 

You seem very sure of yourself.  As I am.

We'll see.  Some of your posts on other subjects seem to indicate that you know nothing as well.

You reacted as if I called your baby "ugly".  I'm sure Jared Harper is one of your favorite players, and you take it personally when someone offers an honest criticism.  I can understand that.

I love the guy.  But he went undrafted for a very good reason.

Hell, most 2nd round draftees have a hard time making it in the NBA.  He was undrafted.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

In non stupid news, Bryce looked pretty good in the minutes I saw. Was their best on ball defender, went ballistic in the beginning of the game, had a couple of his type of looks (an off the dribble 3 and a pull up middy) that definitely could’ve gone in. They ran Guy and Brown together, but I’ve seen a few people that believe mgmt hasn’t wanted to run those two together. Not for any personal reasons, just weird lineup choices. I stopped watching around the 5 min mark when BB got subbed out and apparently they didn’t bring him back out down 3 to end the game...

at least for the level he’s currently at, his height hasn’t been an issue on either end 

Yeah, Bryce Brown looked good in one game.  In D League.

Tacko Fall has looked pretty good in D League as well.  As did Jimmer Fredette a few years ago.

D League is..............well.............D League.  A significant cut below the NBA.

Look, I love Bryce Brown and Jared Harper.  I wish them well.  But I see them now less through a fan's rose-colored lens than through a realistic lens that shows their shortcomings to play in the NBA.  I hope they are open to coaching one day, because that's their ceiling.  Or playing in China.

Bryce Brown at least enjoyed his senior season of college basketball.  Jared Harper burned his.  Only time will tell if that was a good decision, D League results notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, Bryce Brown looked good in one game.  In D League.

Tacko Fall has looked pretty good in D League as well.  As did Jimmer Fredette a few years ago.

D League is..............well.............D League.  A significant cut below the NBA.

Look, I love Bryce Brown and Jared Harper.  I wish them well.  But I see them now less through a fan's rose-colored lens than through a realistic lens that shows their shortcomings to play in the NBA.  I hope they are open to coaching one day, because that's their ceiling.  Or playing in China.

Bryce Brown at least enjoyed his senior season of college basketball.  Jared Harper burned his.  Only time will tell if that was a good decision, D League results notwithstanding.

What do you think Harper is going to miss about not being at AU for his senior season? I'll give you he may not make it in the NBA....plenty of high round draft picks do not make it so undrafted free agents making it is pretty rare i imagine. IMO Harper accomplished about all he could accomplish at AU. His draft stock was as high as it was going to go. He got to experience an amazing run through the SEC and NCAA tourney. He was a 3 year starter. He has an SEC regular season title and SEC tourney title to show for his time. He helped pull AU out of the gutter of mens bball. So what was left for him to do here? Just enjoy the glory that is Auburn for another season?? 

Ditto everything @gravejd said ... plus I’ll add ... there is also never a downside to rationally and intelligently following your dream.  Good for him.

if his ceiling is as a coach, then he’ll have some nba program experience to add to his arsenal that he might not have gotten if he waited.

... and as far as “only” being able to play pro overseas ... so what?!  Chris porter played for nearly 2 decades making good money and traveling the world ... playing a child’s game.  I’d say that’s successful to a lot of people.

The only thing Jared lost by skipping his senior season is graduating from Auburn but you can come back and do it. Sometimes you just have to follow your dreams.By the way if it doesn't work out he comes back and graduates and becomes a coach or with his degree goes another direction. I have a degree in Biology I work in IT. Original plans don't work out you adjust be it a student basketball player or any other type of student.  With the season he just had and the run through the NCAA's if he has any chance of making it in the NBA this was it so he went for it.  More power to him and hope he proves most people wrong and makes it.

12 hours ago, gravejd said:

What do you think Harper is going to miss about not being at AU for his senior season? I'll give you he may not make it in the NBA....plenty of high round draft picks do not make it so undrafted free agents making it is pretty rare i imagine. IMO Harper accomplished about all he could accomplish at AU. His draft stock was as high as it was going to go. He got to experience an amazing run through the SEC and NCAA tourney. He was a 3 year starter. He has an SEC regular season title and SEC tourney title to show for his time. He helped pull AU out of the gutter of mens bball. So what was left for him to do here? Just enjoy the glory that is Auburn for another season?? 

Yes. 

I agree that his "draft stock" was maximized this year.  But he went undrafted.  Another year of college ball would have been fun for him and would have enabled him to get his degree.  Then he would have flamed out in the NBA a year later, but with the memory of his senior season, and with his degree.

When discussing things of this nature, I often think of one of my favorite players of all time: Tim Duncan.

He played 4 full seasons of college ball, graduated from a great university (Wake Forest), got his degree, was National Player of the Year in college, Rookie of the Year in the NBA, NBA MVP, and 5-time NBA Champion.  That kind of patience in college ball is unheard of today.

A kid like Harper needs to strike while the iron is hot IMO. And it wasn't getting any hotter after a fantastic season and a Final Four (!!!) run. Duncan turned down being the top pick to come back for his senior year and was the top pick anyway. I don't think we can compare the two situations. 

In the basketball world Harper made the best business decision for himself. His stock had peaked and with his size he couldn't afford to have a turned ankle or lesser team success wreck what he accomplished through his junior season. With Chuma and Bryce gone he would have to shoulder even more of the scoring and teams would put a heavier focus on defending him which could have "exposed" him a bit or forced his efficiency to take a hit. 

He's in it to provide for himself and his family not for fun so IMO he made the right choice

Also a memory of a senior year while we rebuild/re-tool/transition to getting the new freshman class acclimated would not have been better for him than a Final Four run IMO. That's the pinnacle of the sport. 

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

IMO Harper accomplished about all he could accomplish at AU.

Could of gotten his degree....and maybe made another Final Four.     Hate to say "mission accomplished" for a guy at this point in his college life.....JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Could of gotten his degree....and maybe made another Final Four.     Hate to say "mission accomplished" for a guy at this point in his college life.....JMO

First off, no way we make a Final Four run without Okeke back. And Harper probably knew the team would have a LOT of new players if he stayed, and probably knew Okeke was not going to stay.

This was a high point for him, so he probably knew he wasn't going to become any better.

He still can get his degree, as so many college athletes do these day opt to go back to college later, if they feel they have a shot at a professional career in sports.

My understanding is all auburn student athletes - no matter when they played - if they left school in good standing, are guaranteed return to finish their degree.  I’m sure there are nuances to it but you see these stories all the time from former baseball and football.  Tim Hudson as a recent example.  Harper can always come back.  He’ll never be guaranteed the platform he had this year.  If he was 4”-5” taller he probably gets drafted.  He ain’t gonna get taller.

14 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yes. 

I agree that his "draft stock" was maximized this year.  But he went undrafted.  Another year of college ball would have been fun for him and would have enabled him to get his degree.  Then he would have flamed out in the NBA a year later, but with the memory of his senior season, and with his degree.

When discussing things of this nature, I often think of one of my favorite players of all time: Tim Duncan.

He played 4 full seasons of college ball, graduated from a great university (Wake Forest), got his degree, was National Player of the Year in college, Rookie of the Year in the NBA, NBA MVP, and 5-time NBA Champion.  That kind of patience in college ball is unheard of today.

The awards in the NBA has nothing to do with him staying or leaving in college, if Harper wants to finish his degree he can do so. Tim Duncan wasn't trying to play his way in the draft; Harper has to answer questions about can he be effective against bigger guys...he can't answer it until he plays against those very guys

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

First off, no way we make a Final Four run without Okeke back. And Harper probably knew the team would have a LOT of new players if he stayed, and probably knew Okeke was not going to stay.

This was a high point for him, so he probably knew he wasn't going to become any better.

He still can get his degree, as so many college athletes do these day opt to go back to college later, if they feel they have a shot at a professional career in sports.

Yep and I hope he does..

.I was answering the comment that he had accomplished all he could at AU.....which I disagree with  

If he were making a lot of money or got a nice bonus...that's understandable.....but no degree and no championship …….and thinks he can't get any better playing for BP in the toughest conference. ?..:dunno:    

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep and I hope he does..

.I was answering the comment that he had accomplished all he could at AU.....which I disagree with  

If he were making a lot of money or got a nice bonus...that's understandable.....but no degree and no championship …….and thinks he can't get any better playing for BP in the toughest conference. ?..:dunno:    

No he can't get any better for the NBA doing roles on this team that he won't in the NBA. Being shoot first and not looking to pass the ball in the post won't make him better

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep and I hope he does..

Nothing is keeping him from returning for his degree like so many other former AU athletes have.  If you're expecting another Final Four run next season you're more than likely setting yourself up for disappointment.  Also, Harper won 2 championships at AU: a regular season SEC and an SEC tournament championship.  Like others have said next year will be a retooling year and Harper knows his stock was as high as it was going to get at AU.

The NBA isn’t the only option these guys have to make a living playing basketball. And I doubt anyone here knows what is going on with Harper’s life to know if he needed to go pro or just wanted to. Let the guy live his life. 

2 banners hang in our arena because of championships we won that would not have been possible without JHarp. He has the jewelry. They also get rings for reaching the Final Four. Kid leaves AU with 3 rings. 

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

This is such a bad take, IMO. I get that it's going to be really difficult to make it to the Final Four because it's the Final Four and it's difficult every year. But to come out and say that there's no way we make the Final Four after last year is seriously underestimating the value of Bruce Pearl, his staff, the players coming back, and the new players coming in. After last season, I will never rule anything out for this team and this coaching staff.

As others have said Jared's draft stock wasn't going to get any higher than this past season. Also keep in mind that he watched Chuma go down against NC and have his season ended in a split second. Jared left everything on the court and hit the floor hard many times. I'm not saying that anyone should play scared but Jared might have felt that could have been him. He rolled the dice, wasn't drafted, and now he's trying to play his way in. If he has an injury like Chuma he's not getting the same end result as Chuma did. I can't find any reason other than my own selfishness to think he should have come back. He helped make Auburn relevant in basketball. Banners, trophies, rings and 5 star players looking at us now. He's paid his dues. 

Archived