Baseball roster changes

Three current players have entered into the transfer portal. Everett Lau, Jarrett Eaton, and Troy Bearden are all in the portal. I expect a few more will enter as well  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Three current players have entered into the transfer portal. Everett Lau, Jarrett Eaton, and Troy Bearden are all in the portal. I expect a few more will enter as well  

We kinda have to with the number of incoming freshman.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

We kinda have to with the number of incoming freshman.

Yep, gonna need a combination of transfers and redshirts to get the roster down to 35. We were at 36 with Hoerter as a medical redshirt. 2 seniors graduated, 3 have left for the draft, and 3 are in the portal. Basically, we can only add 7 of the incoming recruits to the roster unless more current players leave. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Yep, gonna need a combination of transfers and redshirts to get the roster down to 35. We were at 36 with Hoerter as a medical redshirt. 2 seniors graduated, 3 have left for the draft, and 3 are in the portal. Basically, we can only add 7 of the incoming recruits to the roster unless more current players leave. 

Do redshirts count as roster spots?

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

All players on a roster count except Med Reds.

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If they’re on the 35, they count. Most likely, if an incoming freshman isn’t on the roster, he was coming in as a walk-on and didn’t get a spot for the spring. Not sure if they get a RS if they don’t make the team as a freshman but do make the team the second year. 

JMO but we need to get the roster down to guys who will be able to contribute next year. Probably a dozen guys on the roster who barely played all season and are not likely to see action next year either unless they were hurt and unable to play. Pitching staff needs weeding down.   Maybe some of them will pick up some mph and control over the summer but too many non-contributors.  With limited scholarships, it's important that all scholarship players have the ability to play at least in the mid week games.   Hoping the transfers find a home somewhere that suits them. 

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but we need to get the roster down to guys who will be able to contribute next year. Probably a dozen guys on the roster who barely played all season and are not likely to see action next year either unless they were hurt and unable to play. Pitching staff needs weeding down.   Maybe some of them will pick up some mph and control over the summer but too many non-contributors.  With limited scholarships, it's important that all scholarship players have the ability to play at least in the mid week games.   Hoping the transfers find a home somewhere that suits them. 

We’re not going to have less than 35 on the roster. A few of the guys who didn’t contribute much or struggled to have an impact are leaving. A few more probably will leave also. But we’re going to have a bunch of pitchers and position players on the roster. It’s about the only way we can be competitive. Take too many guys and Eiffel them down in the fall. We have to have depth, especially for this upcoming season so that those guys can go through a season and have somewhat of an understanding of the program because there’s likely to be a BUNCH of guys gone off next year’s squad. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Dang, I liked Lau. Figured he’d start at 2nd if Bliss moved to SS. What do y’all think the lineup will look like next year? 

This is how I’d build the lineup for next year. 

C - Scheffler. LaRue will platoon here though  

1B - Woley

2B - Bliss: the more I think about it, the more I think he’s tailor made for 2B, and I wouldn’t move him. 

3B - Julien

SS - one of Brody Moore, Tyler Miller, Travis Odom, Mason Greer. Basically, one of the current roster guys or an incoming guy will take over at SS. 

LF/CF/RF - Ward, Howell, Williams

DH - Davis

Starters - Burns, Owen, Fitts

47 minutes ago, boomstick said:

This is how I’d build the lineup for next year. 

C - Scheffler. LaRue will platoon here though  

1B - Woley

2B - Bliss: the more I think about it, the more I think he’s tailor made for 2B, and I wouldn’t move him. 

3B - Julien

SS - one of Brody Moore, Tyler Miller, Travis Odom, Mason Greer. Basically, one of the current roster guys or an incoming guy will take over at SS. 

LF/CF/RF - Ward, Howell, Williams

DH - Davis

That would certainly give us a "veteran team". Only one new starter in the whole outfit.

2 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Dang, I liked Lau. Figured he’d start at 2nd if Bliss moved to SS. What do y’all think the lineup will look like next year? 

There’s been talk of Bliss moving to shortstop and putting Brody Moore at second base.

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

I agree. I know he was signed as a potential SS but he seems such a great fit at 2B and he's done so well that I'd leave him there. However, Butch gets the big bucks to make that call. :)

Four Auburn baseball players enter transfer portal

Updated Jun 24, 1:59 PM; Posted Jun 24, 10:50 AM

2 minutes

Auburn Tigers Sports

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Editor’s note: This article has been updated to note that an additional player was added to the transfer portal.

Four Auburn baseball players have entered the transfer portal, per a source. Jarrett Eaton, Everett Lau and Troy Bearden put in their names and are able to transfer to any school of their choosing.

Pitcher Kyle Gray’s name was added to the transfer portal later on Monday. Gray was an opening weekend starter for the Tigers, but saw his role diminish greatly as he struggled. He did not pitch in the NCAA Tournament. On the season, Gray, a JUCO transfer, had a 4.98 ERA in 21.2 innings.

Lau, a junior, hit .250 in 40 at-bats this season, including a walkoff single in the final home game of the season. He played in 19 games and had eight starts. He was a JUCO transfer.

Eaton, also a freshman, was primarily used as a pinch-runner. He played in 14 games, scored six runs, and had two stolen bases. Bearden was also a freshman, and was the former No. 12 player in Alabama out of high school, according to Perfect Game.

An Auburn spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I agree. I know he was signed as a potential SS but he seems such a great fit at 2B and he's done so well that I'd leave him there. However, Butch gets the big bucks to make that call. :)

I think he has an good enough arm to play SS, but if there’s a “weakness” in his game, it’s probably his arm. I think he had the range and quickness and glove and fundamentals to play the spot. But if we have someone else similar with a little better arm, I’d be just fine leaving Bliss at 2B and putting that guy at SS. Brody Moore or Tyler Miller seem like the most likely options. 

14 hours ago, boomstick said:

We’re not going to have less than 35 on the roster. A few of the guys who didn’t contribute much or struggled to have an impact are leaving. A few more probably will leave also. But we’re going to have a bunch of pitchers and position players on the roster. It’s about the only way we can be competitive. Take too many guys and Eiffel them down in the fall. We have to have depth, especially for this upcoming season so that those guys can go through a season and have somewhat of an understanding of the program because there’s likely to be a BUNCH of guys gone off next year’s squad. 

The number to me is not important...but it does matter that baring injuries, most of those 35 should be playing 10 or 15 games a year.   JMO but as the season wound down, those mid week games got more important and it looked like CBT was reluctant to play the back-up position players....which might have hurt their development...and unfortunately, even playing mostly starters on Tue/Wed....we did not do well. 

Check the stats....we played 66 games and Bliss started every one of them...probably finished all of them too....and several players started all but 2 or 3 games this year.  JMO but that is overworking them....and unfortunate unless  CBT has projected that we did not have a future position starter on the bench this year.    

Talk about a back-up QB not seeing much action....our back-ups at about every key position barely saw any action at all, even in the games against what should have been pushover games.     

36 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Add Jarrett Eaton to the list of transfers 

Going to Wallace CC for a year.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, boomstick said:

@boomstick What about Bailey Horn as a starter? I trust him more as a starter than Fitts.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@boomstick What about Bailey Horn as a starter? I trust him more as a starter than Fitts.

If a game were to be played tomorrow I'd go with Fitts, easy pick. Now: Horn is still in the process of recovering from Tommy John surgery. He could improve by leaps and bounds over the off-season but that's something that may or may not happen.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

If a game were to be played tomorrow I'd go with Fitts, easy pick. Now: Horn is still in the process of recovering from Tommy John surgery. He could improve by leaps and bounds over the off-season but that's something that may or may not happen.

Any idea why Fitts struggled so much as a starter this past season?

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

I like Horn as well.  Just glad we seem to have extra options as this last year taught us how important that is.

I am not sure what Fitts case is, but I know some guys get too jacked up to start and take a while to settle in.

I’m hoping Garrett Wade benefits from another off season with Coach Smith. I believe he has starter stuff.  

Archived