Baseball roster changes

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

@boomstick What about Bailey Horn as a starter? I trust him more as a starter than Fitts.

I think Horn could start. The difference I see right now between Horn and those three I listed as starters is command. Horn is behind those three guys in terms of consistently throwing strikes. Now, that could easily work itself out as he strengthens this summer and refines his game. The stuff is there. I think he has the experience. I just think he’s a tick behind those other three because of command. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think Horn could start. The difference I see right now between Horn and those three I listed as starters is command. Horn is behind those three guys in terms of consistently throwing strikes. Now, that could easily work itself out as he strengthens this summer and refines his game. The stuff is there. I think he has the experience. I just think he’s a tick behind those other three because of command. 

Maybe but it appears to me he's ahead of Fitts in starter mindset.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but it appears to me he's ahead of Fitts in starter mindset.

Yeah, Horn is more comfortable as a starter. But just like Horn will likely improve his command in the offseason, Fitts will likely improve in that area of weakness too. And behind Burns, I think Fitts has the best stuff on the team. The Fitts thing is just something I’ve heard from some people around the team shortly after returning from Nebraska.

Regardless, I think it’s a great position to be in with having four guys more than capable of being a weekend starter and knowing that either of your third options could also be a very good long reliever. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the possibility of Zach Farrar joining the team after football season. He didn't play much for YSU in 2018, but he was drafted in the 26th round out of high school by the White Sox. He would be an outfielder, and I'm not positive how much he would be used, but I'd love the storyline of him being on the team, and to have him playing if needed. 

13 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like we might be losing Julien. Apparently, the Twins have found enough money to get him to sign. 

This being kept quiet? I've seen nothing even alluding to it on social media...

17 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like we might be losing Julien. Apparently, the Twins have found enough money to get him to sign. 

I don't want this to be true. Our lineup is dangerous with him in it next season. 

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

This being kept quiet? I've seen nothing even alluding to it on social media...

I guess so. I’ve asked a few people that are close to the team. Don’t think it’s finalized yet, but the signs seem to point to it happening. Hopefully, someone I know will have a definite answer. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I guess so. I’ve asked a few people that are close to the team. Don’t think it’s finalized yet, but the signs seem to point to it happening. Hopefully, someone I know will have a definite answer. 

Saw he deleted the "I'm returning tweet." Probably not a great sign for us. 

23 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Saw he deleted the "I'm returning tweet." Probably not a great sign for us. 

Bryan Matthews just confirmed he’s signed with Minnesota for 500k

12 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Bummer.  Everybody has their reasons.

i think he could have raised that significantly next year.

Maybe. That’s 4th round money. IMO he would’ve needed an unbelievable year to get into the 2nd round. That’s a big gamble. 

Dang, I was looking forward to him having a huge year next year to redeem himself after the CWS miscue. Definitely understand the move though. Hard to turn down $500k. Best of luck! Now I guess Brody Moore for sure gets a spot on the left side of the infield. Wonder who will take the other spot. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Dang, I was looking forward to him having a huge year next year to redeem himself after the CWS miscue. Definitely understand the move though. Hard to turn down $500k. Best of luck! Now I guess Brody Moore for sure gets a spot on the left side of the infield. Wonder who will take the other spot. 

I think Moore starts at SS next year. We could a few different things with 3B: move Woley there and play Ceccolli at 1B, play Warner or one of the newcomers (Miller, Farquhar, Odom, Greer) at 3B, or put Moore at 3B and one of those guys at SS. Ceccolli is the intriguing option for me because of his power potential. He’s the one guy in this class that projects big power, and with Julien leaving, it opens up the opportunity to get him on the field. I don’t think he sees the field of Julien was coming back. 

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

I think Moore starts at SS next year. We could a few different things with 3B: move Woley there and play Ceccolli at 1B, play Warner or one of the newcomers (Miller, Farquhar, Odom, Greer) at 3B, or put Moore at 3B and one of those guys at SS. Ceccolli is the intriguing option for me because of his power potential. He’s the one guy in this class that projects big power, and with Julien leaving, it opens up the opportunity to get him on the field. I don’t think he sees the field of Julien was coming back. 

I like the idea of moving Wiley over there and putting Ceccolli at 1B, although Wiley played a good 1st this year. But I also think Warner or one of the others could fill SS/3B out. I like our options, and I trust CBT to put the best product on the diamond. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well that did not last long, Julien signed with the Twins for $493,000 a high 4th round signing price. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-tigers-baseball-edouard-julien-2020-outlook-preview-infield

Sucks because it kinda screwed us on our roster management. We probably let a guy or two transfer because we told them we didn’t have the money for them assuming Julien was returning. Apparently, Auburn was in the loop during the first negotiations, but they were not in this last offer. 

38 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Didn’t Moore do well with hi limited opportunities?

Yeah, .333/.379/.444 in 27 ABs. Also had 6 runs and 4 RBI. 

13 hours ago, boomstick said:

Sucks because it kinda screwed us on our roster management. We probably let a guy or two transfer because we told them we didn’t have the money for them assuming Julien was returning. Apparently, Auburn was in the loop during the first negotiations, but they were not in this last offer. 

Would’ve loved for Lau to stay. 

8 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Would’ve loved for Lau to stay. 

He’s probably one that was affected most by Julien staying. Same with Troy Bearden. Bearden would’ve had a chance to start at 1B and let Woley play a more natural position for him at 3B. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

He’s probably one that was affected most by Julien staying. Same with Troy Bearden. Bearden would’ve had a chance to start at 1B and let Woley play a more natural position for him at 3B. 

Do we know if they have enrolled at new schools? If not they can come back.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Do we know if they have enrolled at new schools? If not they can come back.

Don't think Lau has signed anywhere else yet. Could certainly return and start for us.... 

Archived