NCAA Threatens California Schools

aujeff11

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Most regular students don’t have nice apartment style dorms, dining dollars, free food in the nutrition center (great quality food that team nutritionists and coaches recommend), 5,585 dollar stipends per semester, books, gear, access to medical care, tutorial service and more provided without high performance scholarships.  I will never forget one day I was sitting in class at the conclusion when I heard a tutor tell a Bama football defensive lineman “make sure you write down the test date, Damion, (Square) because this test is important!”  Guys these players are pampered. 

When I went to Bama, it cost me 15 dining dollars just for the food that Bama players eat for free multiple times a day. My eating plan (which restricted me from eating at the athletic cafeteria without spending 15dining dollars) was also the cheapest and only allowed me roughly 2 meals per day. Still, that was an additional 1,000+ dollars per semester for me to pay for. The student athletes live and eat right, already. My brother which was a juco athlete and had a room and education provided still had to support his nutritional maintenance on his own. Sure, nobody cares about juco, but most don’t care about most of the non-revenue sports at the big schools either. What should those athletes receive? The same as football because they also don’t get to have jobs, or less because they don’t sell tickets? 

Yeah, “regular students” can have a part time job waiting tables, but they can also have student debts that they have to (and should have to) carry for the majority of their lives afterwards. 

Up the “cost of living” stipend. But they really don’t need much more. They don’t have to travel to Atlanta or home every weekend. Frugality should be taught. I’m not sure why the NCAA should be responsible for helping take care of the athletes plus the families. The NCAA isn’t responsible for putting Peyton Barber’s mom in a home. It did provide Peyton a way for him to make it to the NFL which in turn,  allowed him to take care of his momma. 

If they cannot support their families as is, they can always quit and find a job like most “regular” people.  These athletes are not condemned to sports and their free ride in college. They can make their situations better via other means if the NCAA isn’t enough for them. 

I had you blocked for a very good reason. Not sure why you're showing up in my feed, but I'll make sure you're blocked again.  This reply doesn't surprise me and it's why I don't care to have your posts showing up. It must be miserable being so sour and mean all the time. Just block me or scroll on by. I do not want to have any interaction with you. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Everything is "that's just how it is" and "that's how it's always been" and "I will find something wrong with it, just give me some time". Nobody's talking about the positives of it or even trying to think of how to do it correctly. (Well, except in California, I guess.)

We even have people who don't care that the current rules aren't fair to the players off whose backs a bunch of non-athletes are getting rich, but suddenly they're worried about it being fair for the kids whose names nobody knows? Good lord. Y'all crazy. 

I don't know what the right answer should be, but I do think there needs to be a serious discussion. Citing the NCAA as to why there isn't is crazy to me as they have proven to be inconsistent at best in all things college sports. I just read where they allowed players like Justin Fields and Tate Martell transfer without sitting out with no issue, yet players who cited ailing family members were denied. *cough,cough* Players not nearly as known, btw. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I had you blocked for a very good reason. Not sure why you're showing up in my feed, but I'll make sure you're blocked again.  This reply doesn't surprise me and it's why I don't care to have your posts showing up. It must be miserable being so sour and mean all the time. Just block me or scroll on by. I do not want to have any interaction with you. 

I don’t even know what you’re talking about, It was a response to your post. That’s it. 

As for the block feature, yeah, people have been hopelessly dodging me for years. Join the disappointment club. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't know what the right answer should be, but I do think there needs to be a serious discussion. Citing the NCAA as to why there isn't is crazy to me as they have proven to be inconsistent at best in all things college sports. I just read where they allowed players like Justin Fields and Tate Martell transfer without sitting out with no issue, yet players who cited ailing family members were denied. *cough,cough* Players not nearly as known, btw. 

Agreed. The NCAA does a lot of good things but when it comes to amateurism rules and enforcement, nobody lets the trees get in the way of the forest like they do.

I just want the NCAA completely revamped or eliminated altogether. Who, and what exactly are they? Have you ever really thought about that. They aren’t elected, or even appointed. They aren’t a company that produces goods and services. To my knowledge, they answer to no one. I think they started out as a group of people trying to enforce fairness and look out for student athletes. What I believe they have become is a group of extremely powerful overlords, making tons of money off others works and services, while trying to control the lives of thousands of student athletes. I don't have all the answers about compensation for athletes, but I’m ready for the NCAA cartel to be broken up. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I just want the NCAA completely revamped or eliminated altogether. Who, and what exactly are they? Have you ever really thought about that. They aren’t elected, or even appointed. They aren’t a company that produces goods and services. To my knowledge, they answer to no one. I think they started out as a group of people trying to enforce fairness and look out for student athletes. What I believe they have become is a group of extremely powerful overlords, making tons of money off others works and services, while trying to control the lives of thousands of student athletes. I don't have all the answers about compensation for athletes, but I’m ready for the NCAA cartel to be broken up. 

The NIT used to be the top dog correct? It can happen. Can get better, or worse.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

In the sense that there are only two categories, yes I do.  Is it pure, no it isn’t. The Olympic sports used to be for amateurs only and that has changed dramatically.  

Money changes people and giving more money to 18-22 year old kids does nothing to enhance the sport.  The kids that can make money off of their fame will be (at some point) more interested in scheduling their autograph session than their teammates. JMO.

This was my opinion of the OP.  At this point @DAGstarted moving the goal post to the difference between Amateur and Professional sports.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

We could be in a paradigm shift in college sports and discussion is good.  If the players end up being paid, so be it, but then call it what it is

This was my final statement trying sum up the discussion.

You guys need deal better with those that you disagree.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Haha. If it's only a couple dozen players then what are y'all freaking out about?

Cause it ruins a system that works well for about 98% of kids in order to enrich a handful of kids who are gonna be rich anyway if they just work hard and are patient. 

JMO but it's not gonna be fun to coach a team where a couple guys are getting rich thanks to a few alums who see to their every financial need while the rest of the team lives on the standard scholarship stipend.  

And of course if the NCAA ever cracks down on the flagrant violators who pays the price   The culprits will have moved along to the NBA or NFL while the guys left behind and players to follow get the penalties. 

How to do it correctly......California?    you must be joking.....

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I fully realize money is changing hands

Yeah, I ultimately moved the goal post by bolding your own words. If you acknowledge that money exchanges hands, then newsflash, it is not considered amateurism anymore. The NCAA does not have to * recognize* this happens behind closed doors, but logic tells us it does. Just because the NCAA does not acknowledge, it does not mean you have to accept it blindly. Heck the NCAA did not acknowledge that Jerome had a double dribble last year, which was very impactful to Auburn's hopes of advancing. That does not mean I have to accept it didn't occur blindly. Does it change the results? NO! But at the very least it should bring some discussion to prevent future incidences of this occurring. 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Cause it ruins a system that works well for about 98% of kids in order to enrich a handful of kids who are gonna be rich anyway if they just work hard and are patient. 

JMO but it's not gonna be fun to coach a team where a couple guys are getting rich thanks to a few alums who see to their every financial need while the rest of the team lives on the standard scholarship stipend.  

And of course if the NCAA ever cracks down on the flagrant violators who pays the price   The culprits will have moved along to the NBA or NFL while the guys left behind and players to follow get the penalties. 

No, I'm not joking at all. Nor am I surprised that you would give such a silly response.

You do realize this opens up opportunities for other athletes even if boosters aren't funneling cash to them, right? The system works for 98% of them? By all means, share this poll with the class.

It's not going to be fun to coach them? Is that why there's a flat wage in pro sports? So everyone gets treated equal? Hah. Strange.

You have a very narrow point of view on this and you're literally just making things up. Again, nothing shocking there.

PS- @AU64, please show me evidence that every kid whose jersey gets sold in college gets rich in the pros. Please show me that right now or take that garbage out of here.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Honestly, if you took a poll, I can almost bet most of the teammates would be for the star athletes making money off of their likeness. No different than the majority of the players usually being okay with the star skipping out on bowl games. Noticed I said most, not all. This is just my opinion. Now, I am not saying I am advocating for the system to be created as such, but I don't think those student-athletes would agree with your assessment. Again, this is just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly, if you took a poll, I can almost bet most of the teammates would be for the star athletes making money off of their likeness. No different than the majority of the players usually being okay with the star skipping out on bowl games. Noticed I said most, not all. This is just my opinion. Now, I am not saying I am advocating for the system to be created as such, but I don't think those student-athletes would agree with your assessment. Again, this is just my opinion. 

You are talking about hypotheticals right now.....but if the situation were to happen where some could make a lot of money ?   Consider a bunch of OLs who are busting their tails so that a RB can become famous and be make money on his picture or autograph.....and they are getting the standard scholly...... I'm thinking things might look different.     Of course the RB could do like the top paid pros do....take everyone out to lunch and a night on the town....:) 

Just now, AU64 said:

You are talking about hypotheticals right now.....but if the situation were to happen where some could make a lot of money ?   Consider a bunch of OLs who are busting their tails so that a RB can become famous and be make money on his picture or autograph.....and they are getting the standard scholly...... I'm thinking things might look different.     Of course the RB could do like the top paid pros do....take everyone out to lunch and a night on the town....:) 

The whole thread is hypothetical 64. Come on man. It is a hypothetical to assume that it will be less fun if this occurred. I am just saying, more times than not, the players usually stick together, especially if it is for the benefit of their group. Here was a recent poll, albeit small, of 22 big 12 players asked this question:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/07/24/college-players-paid-77-percent-big-12-players-say-yes

Now, obviously, I wouldn't put huge emphasis on this. I would love for a bigger polling system to occur among all collegiate athletes across the board.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

The whole thread is hypothetical 64. Come on man. It is a hypothetical to assume that it will be less fun if this occurred. I am just saying, more times than not, the players usually stick together, especially if it is for the benefit of their group. Here was a recent poll, albeit small, of 22 big 12 players asked this question:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/07/24/college-players-paid-77-percent-big-12-players-say-yes

Now, obviously, I wouldn't put huge emphasis on this. I would love for a bigger polling system to occur among all collegiate athletes across the board.

The thread might be hypothetical....and the poll asks a hypothetical question....JMO  but the results are predictable ...and players probably stick together when everyone is on the same basis..    Watch professional sports and what happens when players are not treated the same.....paid the same, don't get the same opportunities to shoot, etc.   Money changes things.....that's not hypothetical....that's pretty much human nature....

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The thread might be hypothetical....and the poll asks a hypothetical question....JMO  but the results are predictable ...and players probably stick together when everyone is on the same basis..    Watch professional sports and what happens when players are not treated the same.....paid the same, don't get the same opportunities to shoot, etc.   Money changes things.....that's not hypothetical....that's pretty much human nature....

Players in professional world get mad when they feel the OWNERS are doing them wrong. I have yet to see a player get mad, if Lebron James gets a 150 million dollar deal. I've yet to see players get mad when Bryce Harper inks a 300 million dollar deal. Now, this does not mean that every single individual is okay with this, but the vast majority of players don't have a problem with it. 

Here is some responses to Mike Trout's 430 million dollar deal

https://www.mlb.com/news/teammates-opponents-react-to-mike-trout-deal

https://sports.yahoo.com/athletes-respond-to-mike-trouts-mega-deal-with-few-words-lots-of-emojis-172409053.html

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Players in professional world get mad when they feel the OWNERS are doing them wrong. I have yet to see a player get mad, if Lebron James gets a 150 million dollar deal. I've yet to see players get mad when Bryce Harper inks a 300 million dollar deal.

Pro sports are a little different animal. Unions, max contracts, agents set the culture of playing for the bottom line. It’s never been about the bottom line in college. 

Not to mention even the NFL rookies are making something. Don’t think it’s fair if we have one guy in college making hundreds of thousands while the rest of team just get a scholarship. I don’t think Florida teammates liked the preferential treatment from Urban to his personal favorites “the ballers,” and they weren’t even paid.  How are players going to react when a hot shot like Zion walks into college already with a likeness and a celebrity attached? 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Pro sports are a little different animal. Unions, max contracts, agents set the culture of playing for the bottom line. It’s never been about the bottom line in college. 

Not to mention even the NFL rookies are making something. Don’t think it’s fair if we have one guy in college making hundreds of thousands while the rest of team just gets a scholarship. I don’t think Florida teammates liked the preferential treatment from Urban to his personal favorites “the ballers,” and they weren’t even paid.  How are players going to react when a hot shot like Zion walks into college already with a likeness and a celebrity attached? 

Well, I am not advocating one guy gets all the money, while the others get nothing. Everybody should get something, but the idea these players will be upset because the main guy gets more? You will always have a few who might gripe, but I don't think the overall majority of teammates are going to flip their crap if Cam Newton in 2010 made more than the rest of them. 

They probably will react the same way. I don't remember Zion's Duke teammates being upset about his celebrity status one bit and he was the talk of the town. You almost forgot they had RJ Barrett and Cam until he got hurt.

And if you are upset about preferential treatment and personal favorites, you are going to have a hard life as an adult. That is going to happen anywhere and everywhere. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, I am not advocating one guy gets all the money, while the others get nothing. Everybody should get something, but the idea these players will be upset because the main guy gets more? You will always have a few who might gripe, but I don't think the overall majority of teammates are going to flip their crap if Cam Newton in 2010 made more than the rest of them. 

Cam is actually who I was thinking of. His star power would easily rise way more than the others. It was always Cam that dominated the conversation. I doubt players care about that. If people are flaunting their wealth or their status that’s when things change. Obviously cam wouldn’t be that 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

They probably will react the same way. I don't remember Zion's Duke teammates being upset about his celebrity status one bit and he was the talk of the town. You almost forgot they had RJ Barrett and Cam until he got hurt.

I used a simile “hot shot like Zion.”  It wasn’t a direct comparison because crap, Cam and RJ Barrett were also highly rated recruits that knew they were going to be NBA bound as well. I’m talking like Colin Sexton and Alabama.  

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

And if you are upset about preferential treatment and personal favorites, you are going to have a hard life as an adult.

That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. So I have to do conditioning drills and go through all the motions, but a guy doesn't have to show up to practice just because he’s a star? No sir. 

How many players throw a tantrum when at team mate or player on another team gets a big contract.?  ...most of them like to see someone get a big contract because it raises the bar for everyone....like coaches but they also want to get similar pay.   Just saying....I been in business and management for a long time and the majority don't like to see stars betting special benefits or special treatment.    Interesting commentary elsewhere about Jimbo and how he gave special treatment to Jameis and what it did to the team.   Probably the only thing worse than having one star on the team is having two who are vying for attention ...and the ball.

As for California.?   ....it will do whatever it does …..and a hundred lawyers will become new millionaires over all the law suits. .

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I used a simile “hot shot like Zion.”  It wasn’t a direct comparison because crap, Cam and RJ Barrett were also highly rated recruits that knew they were going to be NBA bound as well. I’m talking like Colin Sexton and Alabama.  

Colin Sexton was the young bull. A youtube sensation. People tuned in to Bama games to watch him. Do you think people cared about Bama because of Avery Johnson or John Petty? I seriously doubt his teammates would be upset about his shine unless you are just a hater. Dude is legit and he proved it.

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Cam is actually who I was thinking of. His star power would easily rise way more than the others. It was always Cam that dominated the conversation. I doubt players care about that. If people are flaunting their wealth or their status that’s when things change. Obviously cam wouldn’t be that 

That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. So I have to do conditioning drills and go through all the motions, but a guy doesn't have to show up to practice just because he’s a star? No sir. 

That is the stupidest thing? Really? First of all, this point has nothing to do with the discussion. I just obliged to answer. Preferential treatment and considering someone's value are two different discussions. For instance, I am a CVICU nurse. I have a master's degree. I am working on my doctorate. I still shouldn't get preferential treatment over the next nurse who just graduated from nursing school.  We both should be treated with respect as professionals. We both need to follow the same guidelines. However, I have a masters degree. I have more experience working with cardiac machines. Therefore, I have more value on the unit purely off what production I can give. So we aren't going to get the same wages — two different conversations. And guess what? Unfortunately, my manager might provide me preferential treatment too.

Now, what I said was preferential treatment happens in all walks of life. From grade school to family dynamics, to sports, to the job environment. Is it fair? No. But you can't let something like that dictate you. PERIOD. You can only control what you can control. Was it appropriate for Michael Dyer to get kicked out at Auburn only to get another scholarship at Arkansas State? No. That scholarship could've gone to a kid who is doing all the right things and never been in trouble a day in their life. But he is a star; therefore, he is going to be preferable. Is it fair that Nick Marshall stole from a teammate, but against another chance to go and perform at a power five school and make it to the NFL? The ordinary person does not get second chances very often. How about when he had possession for weed? He got suspended for a half. Most ordinary people could get fired for that. That is going to happen regardless.

So I have to do conditioning drills and go through all the motions, but a guy doesn't have to show up to practice just because he’s a star?  You don't have to do the condition. But do realize, every action has a reaction. You can quit the team. Life will go on, but that won't stop the star player from getting preferential treatment. They will probably find someone else to replace you. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How many players throw a tantrum when at team mate or player on another team gets a big contract.?  ...most of them like to see someone get a big contract because it raises the bar for everyone....like coaches but they also want to get similar pay.   Just saying....I been in business and management for a long time and the majority don't like to see stars betting special benefits or special treatment.    Interesting commentary elsewhere about Jimbo and how he gave special treatment to Jameis and what it did to the team.   Probably the only thing worse than having one star on the team is having two who are vying for attention ...and the ball.

As for California.?   ....it will do whatever it does …..and a hundred lawyers will become new millionaires over all the law suits. .

I don't know. Show me

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I fail to see where any of these guys threw a tantrum because someone else got paid. From what I am reading, these guys are saying I feel I am worth this and here is why. Or Am I reading this wrong?

Matter of fact, we can take a poll right now. These student athletes, correct? Are these athletes held to the same standards as students in their same class who are non-athletes? I can tell you right now that was not the case when I attended school. Athletes had exception when to turn in assignments, show up to class late, etc. Should I just drop the class, then?

Archived