NCAA Threatens California Schools

aujeff11

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the stupidest thing? Really? First of all, this point has nothing to do with the discussion. I just obliged to answer. 

And I answered back with saying it was stupid. Preferential treatment caused tensions in the locker room whether you think those players should just get over it or not.  Look man I appreciate you for not hiding behind a stupid ignore feature when your other buddies do, it looks well on you. But when I think you say something stupid I usually say it, and when you have to say FU, go for it.  That’s how we are cool like that. 

Now, what I said was preferential treatment happens in all walks of life.

Directly to my point of showing how Urban Meyer’s preferential treatment to the “stars” causing tensions in the locker room though. It was a ghost argument that I’m not going to pretend to deny because I agree that is true.  . 

Was it appropriate for Michael Dyer to get kicked out at Auburn only to get another scholarship at Arkansas State? No. That scholarship could've gone to a kid who is doing all the right things and never been in trouble a day in their life. But he is a star; therefore, he is going to be preferable. Is it fair that Nick Marshall stole from a teammate, but against another chance to go and perform at a power five school and make it to the NFL?

Apples to oranges comparison to how preferential treatment is different I believe. There is preferential treatment in many areas of life like you said. Now if Nick stole from his teammates and the coaches decided he was too important to punish, much less kick off, that’s more Urban’s style and more comparable. 

So I have to do conditioning drills and go through all the motions, but a guy doesn't have to show up to practice just because he’s a star?  You don't have to do the condition. But do realize, every action has a reaction

I’ve never quit anything in my life except for dipping (then picked it back up five years later.) There would be tension in the locker room though for me though. Meyer imploded his locker room from within. Stars were enabled and some of those same stars didn’t get along in the NFL. Percy Harvin broke a NFL teammate’s nose and had an attitude. We all know the story of Hernandez. My point is I know you know when something isn’t right and when you should speak up. I’ve heard of stories that Jerry Rice was so well conditioned and always in the gym that he never had to do conditioning drills in the NFL. That’s a respect earned. The prima Donna status anointed by Urban wasn’t. 

For instance, I am a CVICU nurse. I have a master's degree. I am working on my doctorate. I still shouldn't get preferential treatment over the next nurse who just graduated from nursing school.

Yes you should. lol. Respect earned.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

And I answered back with saying it was stupid. Preferential treatment caused tensions in the locker room whether you think those players should just get over it or not.  Look man I appreciate you for not hiding behind a stupid ignore feature when your other buddies do, it looks well on you. But when I think you say something stupid I usually say it, and when you have to say FU, go for it.  That’s how we are cool like that. 

Directly to my point of showing how Urban Meyer’s preferential treatment to the “stars” causing tensions in the locker room though. It was a ghost argument that I’m not going to pretend to deny because I agree that is true.  . 

Apples to oranges comparison to how preferential treatment is different  believe. There is preferential treatment in many areas of life like you said. Now if Nick stole from his teammates and the coaches decided he was too important to punish, much less kick off, that’s more Urban’s style and more comparable. 

I’ve never quit anything in my life except for dipping (then picked it back up five years later.) There would be tension in the locker room though. Meyer imploded his locker room from within. Stars were enabled and some of those same stars didn’t get along in the NFL. Percy Harvin broke a NFL teammate’s nose and had an attitude. We all know the story of Hernandez. My point is I know you know when something isn’t right and when you should speak up. I’ve heard of stories that Jerry Rice was so well conditioned and always in the gym that he never had to do conditioning drills in the NFL. That’s a respect earned. The prima Donna status anointed by Urban wasn’t. 

Yes you should. lol 

I am not denying it caused tension. I am not denying it is unfair. I am simply saying you are going to have a hard life, if you can't adjust and deal with it. Now, you are mentioning star players and the consequences that ultimately happened to them. Again, a whole different discussion.  At the end of the day, despite the tension, those dudes went to the NFL LOL. What did you do in the meantime? UM winning a national championship at tOSU. What are you doing in the mean time? You can't sit there and worry about the next man. The only thing you really can do is control you. So maybe you speak up? Maybe, you decide to transfer? I don't know but whatever decision you make, I hope you don't think you are going to escape preferable treatment. I don't see how that is stupid to say.  It might not be UM. It might be the guy signing your paychecks at your 9-5. It might be your academic advisor. It might be the police. You said Pearcy Harvin broke a teammates nose right? Did you know he got into several fights prior to that including before the Super Bowl?! Yet he played in that game right?  It is well documented that he had a temper throughout his career, yet he played 9 seasons for four different football teams. How is that possible?

Okay but what about NM having weed? That is illegal LOL. How is he still suiting up for the next football game, let alone playing? Should JJ have said I should play the whole game otherwise it is unfair?  How about Duke Williams? This dude was suspended for the Outback bowl. He also was "missing" from the first six days of fall camp due to what Gus deemed as a discipline issue. Why is this dude still on the squad? Why does it drag out to the point of a bar fight, where other people had to endure physical confrontation? How many opportunities does one person need? 

And I am not dissing these guys. I am rooting for them. I am just simply making the case preferably treatment happens everywhere. It can either cause and implosion or you can figure a way to continue to progress. 

Also, great debate @aujeff11.  No ignore features right here. I think we will have to agree to disagree. Can't wait to hear your response. 

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now, you are mentioning star players and the consequences that ultimately happened to them. Again, a whole different discussion.  At the end of the 

We are way off base now but let me throw out there that they got drafted on talent. 

-Riley Cooper swung at the Florida WR coach and no punishment....ended up saying racist things in the NFL.

- Brandon Spikes- failed drug tests including his first one.

-Percy Harvin- his NFL teammates were reportedly so fed up with his attitude they called a “code red.” I assume that means they took him out to get pina coladas...

-Hernandez- broke a security guards eardrum in a Gainesville bar. No punishment . In the NFL, he killed someone. 

I am simply saying you are going to have a hard life, if you can't adjust and deal with it

Not if you handle it yourself and not just accept whenever you are treated unequally. Stars get preferential treatment. It’s natural. But to that degree???

Okay but what about him having weed? That is illegal LOL. How is he still suiting up for the next football game, let alone playing? 

I have no problem believing Gus would allow others the same opportunity to atone for having barely an ounce of weed in their car. If a player is busted in January, does he have to atone in September? What about July? There were probably other things Marshall had to go through to atone for what he did. Including missing SEC media days as the captain. 

hould JJ have said I should play the whole game otherwise it is unfair?  How about Duke Williams? This dude was suspended for the Outback bowl. He also was "missing" from the first six days of fall camp due to what Gus deemed as a discipline issue. Why is this dude still on the squad? 

Well it got to be a point where Duke used up the good graces of his coaches through the second chances.  Duke was a star but doubt you could prove he received more preferential treatment than most other players. He was still disciplined and eventually kicked off. Given that he was troubled in Louisiana and only went to Auburn to try and stay out of trouble may have rendered him the opportunity to receive little more leeway. 

And I am not dissing these guys. I am rooting for them. I am just simply making the case preferably treatment happens everywhere. It can either cause and implosion or you can figure a way to continue to progress. 

We can acknowledge it happens everywhere in various degrees. From Urban Meyer to Gus Malzahn’s punishment for possession of weed to getting snubbed for a job in favor for the spoils system despite having superior qualifications and so on. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, great debate @aujeff11.  No ignore features right here. I think we will have to agree to disagree. Can't wait to hear your response. 

I don’t type near as fast as you...especially on my phone. Like lil Wayne said “sorry for the wait.”

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I don’t type near as fast as you...especially on my phone. Like lil Wayne said “sorry for the wait.”

It is all good. Great debate bud.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So far, I've yet to see a compelling argument against it

Then you have been simply choosing to ignore the many undesirable consequences that have been mentioned. I started to list several more such consequences, but since you're refusing to see those already mentioned, listing a dozen more would be a waste of keystrokes.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then you have been simply choosing to ignore the many undesirable consequences that have been mentioned. I started to list several more such consequences, but since you're refusing to see those already mentioned, listing a dozen more would be a waste of keystrokes.

I didn't say I've yet to see an argument. I said I've yet to see a compelling one. Nevermind that these "undesirable consequences" may or may not even be real.

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

9 hours ago, DAG said:

It is all good. Great debate bud.

Now that is how to have the right kind of discussion on here.  Kudos to you both.

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 11:59 AM, abw0004 said:

.  And I do not see universities being willing to pay all athletes the same.  Do you see volleyball players being paid the same as football players?  They work just as hard. 

There's an apocryphal story about Bear Bryant in the 1970s, when a UAT professor was on the field prior to a football game and was complaining to the Bear about the disparity between the UAT athletic department's budget and his liberal-arts department.

Bryant grunted, swept his hand across the packed grandstands, and said, "You see all them folks?  They ain't here to watch the math team."

Archived