AU Sports Having To Cut Budgets 10%

Auburn Kev

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Here is a idea about this, maybe Greene with the green light from the BOT decided to take control of his athletic department. And this is the first step to doing this? Maybe?

What is your thought on this @WarDamnEagleWDE? Marcello is saying there are some in the PTB & BOT that didn't & still don't want Greene here. You buying that at all?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What is your thought on this @WarDamnEagleWDE? Marcello is saying there are some in the PTB & BOT that didn't & still don't want Greene here. You buying that at all?

There will always be some that never want Greene here and it has nothing to do with his abilities,  just one thing only.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

There will always be some that never want Greene here and it has nothing to do with his abilities,  just one thing only.

I'm guessing you are referring to race. Marcello said it is due to inexperience.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm guessing you are referring to race. Marcello said it is due to inexperience.

Could be a combination of factors that make some view him as an "outsider". Race is quite likely one of those factors for some. I mean, if we're talking about a room full of folks born before the 80s, at least one of them is going to have some bass ackwards notions about things. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

But they were fine with JJ, makes no sense

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would rate Dr. Greene’s resume, experience, and credentials solidly ahead of our previous AD. But thats just me.  I’m thankful I don't work for an organization as dysfunctional as AU. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

If you are talking about when JJ was promoted from the TUF office to AD who knows if they were or how much of the same people were in power at the 2 hires?

49 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Here is a idea about this, maybe Greene with the green light from the BOT decided to take control of his athletic department. And this is the first step to doing this? Maybe?

I don’t think it’s a good first step. He’s already been culling the excess off. This is across the board and quite significant. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you are talking about when JJ was promoted from the TUF office to AD who knows if they were or how much of the same people were in power at the 2 hires?

True the point I was trying to make on your post without saying it is if big b said it any other way he would lose his sources.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Marcello said it is due to inexperience.

Sounds like a weak excuse, and sour grapes. Perhaps Green isn't the yes man that JJ was and its making some a little fussy at the top. Besides, Green has been stuck in a power struggle and contract mess since he arrived.

52 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The site of the Gus Malzahn fan club?

No: WDEwhisperings

8 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Sounds like a weak excuse, and sour grapes. Perhaps Green isn't the yes man that JJ was and its making some a little fussy at the top. Besides, Green has been stuck in a power struggle and contract mess since he arrived.

A non-yes man making Auburn PTB fussy? Say it ain't so!

Image result for tommy tuberville gif

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

At least this isn't Josh Moon reporting on it...

That was the guy!

16 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I thought the state did not allocate as much money in next years budget or the state did not give us as much in increased budget as we hoped. Something like that. 

Why would allocations from the State have anything to do with athletics?  Increases/cuts in funding from the State should only impact academics.

17 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Can anyone confirm this is happening?

How much are we talking when it's 10% across the board for all sports?   What's the ballpark #?

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A non-yes man making Auburn PTB fussy? Say it ain't so!

Image result for tommy tuberville gif

Saw on TV he's leading in the republican primary polling...lol. (Delete if too political; I just thought it was funny)

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Guessing the difference is that Greene pushes back. 

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Saw on TV he's leading in the republican primary polling...lol. (Delete if too political; I just thought it was funny)

#clickclack

32 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Guessing the difference is that Greene pushes back. 

Why does is always have to be push & shove in the AU Administration?

Cutting 10% across the board for every sport is a concern after Greene already trimmed the fat on his own departmental staff not too long ago.

Now we have no sitting President, I'd like to see Greene speak publicly about this if it's true.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Why does is always have to be push & shove in the AU Administration?

Cutting 10% across the board for every sport is a concern after Greene already trimmed the fat on his own departmental staff not too long ago.

Now we have no sitting President, I'd like to see Greene speak publicly about this if it's true.

I would like to hear Greene too. Now my math may be off but from an article I read Auburn had a surplus of over 7,000,000 on total revenue of something like 147,000,000. So we're looking at expenses of 140,000,000 and if they spent close to budget then 10% of that would be in the neighborhood of 14,000,000. That's a significant cut. Again, I'm just deducing from an article. 

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I would like to hear Greene too. Now my math may be off but from an article I read Auburn had a surplus of over 7,000,000 on total revenue of something like 147,000,000. So we're looking at expenses of 140,000,000 and if they spent close to budget then 10% of that would be in the neighborhood of 14,000,000. That's a significant cut. Again, I'm just deducing from an article. 

10% is a radical cut in most budgets, and this one is no different. With the economic boom, it is surprising. 

Greene, when first few months on the job, was already eliminating many positions and realigning staff, so I thought that was a great start. Since, I assume he approves the programs budget, I wondered why a cut had to be made now and not in last years budget. I don't know if the AD is on a calendar or fiscal budget. If it is fiscal yr (Oct-Sep) then this may be his first true budget year he had to deal with. 

I agree with those who say it here too, that Greene needs to speak to this as to his vision and plan and reasoning for this big of a cut. Does he have a goal for next year as to how much the AD can save that is different than the last year? I know we had a surplus at least the last 2 years, so I want to know what is Greene's reasoning and fiscal goals are.....

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

10% is a radical cut in most budgets, and this one is no different. With the economic boom, it is surprising. 

Greene, when first few months on the job, was already eliminating many positions and realigning staff, so I thought that was a great start. Since, I assume he approves the programs budget, I wondered why a cut had to be made now and not in last years budget. I don't know if the AD is on a calendar or fiscal budget. If it is fiscal yr (Oct-Sep) then this may be his first true budget year he had to deal with. 

I agree with those who say it here too, that Greene needs to speak to this as to his vision and plan and reasoning for this big of a cut. Does he have a goal for next year as to how much the AD can save that is different than the last year? I know we had a surplus at least the last 2 years, so I want to know what is Greene's reasoning and fiscal goals are.....

I will make sure to email him and let him know to prepare a presentation to AUfamily faithful explaining his actions lol.

ADOB: An imperfect 10

Jay G. Tate • AuburnSports

Former athletic director Jay Jacobs left Auburn 18 months ago providing assurances that all was well with the school's athletic department.

"We've been very fortunate, particularly the last three years, we've put record numbers in surplus," Jacobs said in a piece posted to the university's website. "We have to continue to do that because the cost of college athletics continues to inflate."

That inflation is now swallowing that surplus. And now it's time for a reckoning.

Current athletic director Allen Greene, hired in January 2018, recently took the unusual step of cutting all program budgets by 10 percent. This is believed to be the first time Auburn has taken such a drastic step as a department — and it's sure to elicit concern throughout the Auburn sphere.

How can a program like Auburn's, which generates revenues of nearly $150 million, suddenly find itself in need of belt-tightening?

The answer is tricky.

"We are reallocating our budgets and making priority investments to build on our future," Greene said in a statement to AuburnSports.com. "By becoming more efficient, it will allow for us to commit to the things that are most impactful to our department: the student-athlete experience, elite-level coaching staffs and current and future facility upgrades."

Let's start here: Revenues are flat across the league these days. The Southeastern Conference enjoyed an unrivaled surge in earnings while the SEC Network, launched in August 2014, grew like a weed. Carriage rates were (and are) sky high, but SEC fans have an insatiable appetite when it comes to coverage of their favorite teams.

The network now is close to reaching maximum market penetration, which has affected athletic departments insofar as revenues are leveling off. The era of spectacular growth is nearing its end.

Auburn didn't prioritize capital spending during the halcyon days. Jacobs serially flirted with the idea of revamping the north end zone of Jordan-Hare Stadium, but never settled on an actionable plan. He spoke of the need for a new, football-only facility, but never settled on an actionable plan. So he committed instead to a stop-gap solution — a $28-million renovation to the locker room and recruiting areas. It was completed last summer and has become the football program's exclusive spot to host recruits.

Still, football needs more. The Board of Trustees recently asked to fast-track the football-only building, but the athletic department has struggled to make any firm commitments.

It simply doesn't have enough money to fund a $70-million project — even one that deserves to be fast-tracked.

WINNING PAYS (AND INFLATES) THE BILLS

Auburn has been quite successful on the field during the past six months. Men's basketball made the Final Four, baseball made the College World Series, equestrian won a national title, women's golf advanced to match play at nationals, men's golf qualified for nationals, gymnastics qualified for its first-ever Sweet Sixteen.

Winning is the goal. It's a good thing by almost any measure.

Winning also can be costly. The NCAA reimbursed Auburn for travel to the Final Four, but that trip still went over budget by $500,000. The trip to Omaha was costly. All travel is costly.

Those coaches are making more money as well. Greene recently rewarded Bruce Pearl with a richer contract. Baseball coach Butch Thompson received a raise and an extension last summer. Auburn doesn't cut corners when it comes to paying its coaches; almost all are above the league average.

The costs, which includes winning costs, are mounting.

That's where Greene began sensing the need to reshuffle the department's financial priorities — retaining successful coaches, upgrading facilities and giving athletes what they need to thrive both as competitors and students.

He doesn't see his 10-percent edict as a budget cut per se. This is more of a philosophical pivot, one that asks coaches to think more deeply about where their money goes. Do they need to be lodged at a high-rise hotel downtown or will a three-night stay at a suburban Courtyard have the same effect on the team's ability to win games?

Do they need to eat at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse or would Outback be good enough?

Do they need the university jet to fly to Knoxville or will a six-hour bus ride suffice?

These are the kinds of questions Greene wants his coaches to ponder moving forward. If they need to spend a little extra to impress an important group of recruits during an official visit, well, the money is there. That extra expenditure may need to be offset by a more spendthrift decision down the road. That's the new paradigm.

Greene believes this scale-back will free up money to help fund projects like the football-only facility, like the Plainsman Park upgrades that recently were put on hold, like a centralized sports-medicine hub. They all demand attention.

Still, Greene is quick to quell speculation that Auburn's finances are flagging. He says this effort really is about re-allocation.

"We are very fortunate that Auburn Athletics is on solid footing," he said Thursday. "As we position ourselves for the future, being more intentional about how we leverage our resources will be critical."

THE MALZAHN FACTOR

Some observers will wonder if this new paradigm is rooted in Gus Malzahn's troubles. After all, fundraising for the football-only facility has been stymied by skepticism — potential donors withholding money either out of frustration with Malzahn or a belief that their donation will be used to fund a Malzahn buyout should one be triggered rather than the new building.

For his part, Greene says this has nothing to do with football in any direct sense.

With that said, Malzahn's predicament nonetheless matters. If the Tigers fail in 2019 and the school chooses to fire Malzahn, it will owe him approximately $25 million. Half of that will be due within 30 days of termination.

If Greene's budgets are shaken by travel overruns, surplus tickets from the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game last year and Jay Jacobs' $2.5-million buyout, Malzahn's severance package would be a cataclysmic development.

That's all speculation, of course. The Tigers could run the table this season, which would alleviate some problems. At a minimum, donors would be less fraught with concern over Malzahn's spotty record since the 2017 Iron Bowl. Revenues surely would trend upward.

Greene would love to see that happen. All of it.

Still, he must prepare for everything.

That's his predicament. Always the same predicament.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Why would allocations from the State have anything to do with athletics?  Increases/cuts in funding from the State should only impact academics.

Ok, so then where does the budget for all AU athletics come from. 

Archived