AU Sports Having To Cut Budgets 10%

Auburn Kev

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Not saying I disagree with you because I am all for transparency but this didn't need to come out immediately after our baseball and basketball teams had historically successful seasons. Kind of reeks of a slash and burn CEO trying to cut down on extraneous costs and pissing everyone off instead. 

Everyone? 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Not saying I disagree with you because I am all for transparency but this didn't need to come out immediately after our baseball and basketball teams had historically successful seasons. Kind of reeks of a slash and burn CEO trying to cut down on extraneous costs and pissing everyone off instead. 

:bow:  I love you (no homo)

As I said earlier, it is in poor taste to slap Basketball/Baseball/Golf/Equestrian across the face with budget cuts when they are freaking rocking it.  

I appreciate the transparency, but let's not act like there will be no repercussions from this information being released to the public is laughable.  We all understand winning cures everything, but several programs are winning and I don't think they should be penalized because the main revenue sport is consistently mediocre while the staff pulls a top 5 salary year after year after year.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Everyone? 

You know what I mean, CEOs who come in and overhaul a successful company's culture and wind up killing employee morale. The point I'm trying to make is the optics look like we're punishing two of our best coaches after overwhelmingly successful seasons. Allen Greene seems like a smart guy who can work a room and I'm sure he talked about this with our coaches before it came out in the press but it's still a bad look. 

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

You know what I mean, CEOs who come in and overhaul a successful company's culture and wind up killing employee morale. The point I'm trying to make is the optics look like we're punishing two of our best coaches after overwhelmingly successful seasons. Allen Greene seems like a smart guy who can work a room and I'm sure he talked about this with our coaches before it came out in the press but it's still a bad look. 

I don’t know what you mean.  If you are going to make a vague statement then you need to explain yourself . IMO, I imagine Bruce Pearl supports Allen Green off the strength that Green gave him the support when he needed it the most. And I bet you Bruce Pearl out of anybody in this forum understands not to move off of instant gratification . This about the future. 

I don’t have a problem with it all! Greene seems to be a pragmatic leader and is getting prepared for the future. I’ll guarantee you that with all the new money coming in from SEC network, people were getting spend happy over the years, and it’s time to get the budgets back in order. I say good for AD Greene! College sports are big business and it’s easy to get into financial straits if a few bad years happened, so it’s better to be ahead of the curve.

You can’t win for losing. Now if he never said this and next year Gus gets fired, the same handful of people so upset would be bitching about why we don’t have a 90 million dollar HC on board. 

12 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I understand. But on the timing, you have to remember soon after Auburn was eliminated, that whole next week had some serious changes and actions.

Leath resigns, there is an article about issues with the necessary funding for the baseball facility addition along w/ Arkansas reporting they are making plans to add a new baseball facility in the neighborhood of 27 million, and then Greene has to explain why he is asking for a 10% cut in athletic programs.

Kinda of hard to sit on all of that, and say nothing...

Plus, I don't feel, at least on the surface, that Greene is taking an ax to our athletic budget, and he explained that.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t know what you mean.  If you are going to make a vague statement then you need to explain yourself . IMO, I imagine Bruce Pearl supports Allen Green off the strength that Green gave him the support when he needed it the most. And I bet you Bruce Pearl out of anybody in this forum understands not to move off of instant gratification . This about the future. 

Never saw Horrible Bosses huh? 

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Never saw Horrible Bosses huh? 

Are you referencing a comedy for your valid opinion? 

I’ve seen John Q and I can tell you from experience , donating a heart doesn’t work that way. 

Get better.

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I understand. But on the timing, you have to remember soon after Auburn was eliminated, that whole next week had some serious changes and actions.

Leath resigns, there is an article about issues with the necessary funding for the baseball facility addition along w/ Arkansas reporting they are making plans to add a new baseball facility in the neighborhood of 27 million, and then Greene has to explain why he is asking for a 10% cut in athletic programs.

Kinda of hard to sit on all of that, and say nothing...

Plus, I don't feel, at least on the surface, that Greene is taking an ax to our athletic budget, and he explained that.

The issue I have is Arkansas can throw $27MM on a new baseball facility in the wake of a HUGE football facility upgrade they just recently completed.  And AU can't fund our own baseball facility OR a FOF that some folks claim is already 75% pledged?

I don't feel Greene is taking an axe to the AD, but the optics of this latest news with the slow as molasses way AU plans to get approval for facility upgrades is frustrating.  

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

The issue I have is Arkansas can throw $27MM on a new baseball facility in the wake of a HUGE football facility upgrade they just recently completed.  And AU can't fund our own baseball facility OR a FOF that some folks claim is already 75% pledged?

I don't feel Greene is taking an axe to the AD, but the optics of this latest news with the slow as molasses way AU plans to get approval for facility upgrades is frustrating.  

Arkansas didn’t just throw anything just like that.They didn’t have a surplus of 27 million dollars buried on the hill. The biggest reason that got approved is because they resolved a bond issue which was very important for the funding of all three of their projects. There was a lot of freaking litigation that went into it and rightfully so because the people did not want university fund or school fees to go into it. They also got the necessary support of funding allocated in one place.   

You keep referencing Arkansas but you realize a lot of their foundation for covering their expenses comes from bond practice, right? So those bonds eventually have to be covered, while interest is being paid for the loan. Who do you think they expect to buy those bonds? Not to mention, Jeff Long was great with fundraising and getting their Alumni Donation group on board. Arkansas actually has some reputable donors including the Waltons (AKA Wal-mart family).

On 6/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, WalkingCarpet said:

I saw that too. Are we in some kind of financial trouble that nobody knows about or is this more of Leath's doing? Allen Greene was brought in partly because of his fundraising prowess so I can't imagine it's coming from him. 

Getting Gus's buyout ready in case it's needed.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Are you referencing a comedy for your valid opinion? 

I’ve seen John Q and I can tell you from experience , donating a heart doesn’t work that way. 

Get better.

Jeez tough crowd today. Next you're going to tell me that a failed hockey player didn't make the PGA tour after revolutionizing the golf swing. :realmad:

23 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Jeez tough crowd today. Next you're going to tell me that a failed hockey player didn't make the PGA tour after revolutionizing the golf swing. :realmad:

I’m sorry bro. I have been on edge today. I apologize 

6 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

tenor.gif

38 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

tenor.gif

I'm embarrassed. I had no idea you were recording me. At least it was one of my better outings. :)

df.gif

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Arkansas didn’t just throw anything just like that.They didn’t have a surplus of 27 million dollars buried on the hill. The biggest reason that got approved is because they resolved a bond issue which was very important for the funding of all three of their projects. There was a lot of freaking litigation that went into it and rightfully so because the people did not want university fund or school fees to go into it. They also got the necessary support of funding allocated in one place.   

You keep referencing Arkansas but you realize a lot of their foundation for covering their expenses comes from bond practice, right? So those bonds eventually have to be covered, while interest is being paid for the loan. Who do you think they expect to buy those bonds? Not to mention, Jeff Long was great with fundraising and getting their Alumni Donation group on board. Arkansas actually has some reputable donors including the Waltons (AKA Wal-mart family).

Jerry Jones has deep pockets, He gave over 10 million a few years ago

On 6/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

I thought the state did not allocate as much money in next years budget or the state did not give us as much in increased budget as we hoped. Something like that. 

Just a reminder - athletics doesn't get it's funding from the state.

Sounds like we got some people up in here who go out to dinner every night, and have financed their $80,000 GMC Denali for 10 years at 8.50%, just to fit in. 

I like the suggested cuts by Greene, especially the travel cuts-- fiscal responsibility is important. If its an especially long trip, then maybe make an exception. But I seriously doubt a recruit is going to make his decision based on what restaurant he will be eating at on a road trip. Same with a bus ride -- they're all going to be on their I-Phones the whole time anyhow, plane or bus.

More important is to get the football-only facility and upgrade our existing facilities! That's where players and coaches will spend the majority of their time, not at Outback in Gainesville, FL. 

Nevertheless, its good to see Greene sticking his neck out there and making decisions. Its the best way to judge his performance and get a read on him, good or bad.

6 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Sounds like we got some people up in here who go out to dinner every night, and have financed their $80,000 GMC Denali for 10 years at 8.50%, just to fit in. 

I like the suggested cuts by Greene, especially the travel cuts-- fiscal responsibility is important. If its an especially long trip, then maybe make an exception. But I seriously doubt a recruit is going to make his decision based on what restaurant he will be eating at on a road trip. Same with a bus ride -- they're all going to be on their I-Phones the whole time anyhow, plane or bus.

More important is to get the football-only facility and upgrade our existing facilities! That's where players and coaches will spend the majority of their time, not at Outback in Gainesville, FL. 

Nevertheless, its good to see Greene sticking his neck out there and making decisions. Its the best way to judge his performance and get a read on him, good or bad.

All true, but it will be easy for competing recruiters to spin it a different way and that will be one more thing that our staffs- not just football- have working against them. 

Maybe it won't matter, but it's not an invalid concern at this point. Also not great that it was "announced" second hand by a beat writer. We're not exactly controlling the message. Again.

Without regard to PR and strictly speaking about how this actually affects our AD and its programs, I think this could very possibly be the right move. Time will tell. 

20 hours ago, keesler said:

The whole plan shows excellent fiscal responsibility, I can't argue with that.  

Maybe the examples used in Tate's article were his own comparisons and not Greene's?  It all just feels kinda discounted though, pinching pennies. 

AU teams taking the bus instead of a jet  ~ staying at the Courtyard by Marriott instead of the down town high-rise Marriott ~ a $50 meal instead of a $100 meal?

We watch others living large and they're building, upgrading, expanding turning out palatial facilities, their grade A, living first class and showing folks this is how the SEC does it!  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt

I posted this elsewhere but not all of you will see it in the baseball forum. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe it won't matter, but it's not an invalid concern at this point. Also not great that it was "announced" second hand by a beat writer. We're not exactly controlling the message. Again.

It did come out kind of backwards, but I though Greene's follow up comments cleared it up nicely. He's looking for ways to cut costs. Not because we're in fiscal trouble, but being responsible. It sounds like Greene is really focused on the big picture, which is upgrading our facilities. Time will tell.

Archived