2019 Auburn Summer Baseball Assignments

I posted this on another board, but I enjoy the baseball discussion here. So, I thought it might be appreciated here as well. 

Been working on compiling this list for a few weeks now. I've found most of the guys' summer league teams. But with the CWS run, not sure how many of them will actually make it to their teams. I've heard some of the pitchers aren't going to report so they can rest their arms for the fall. That includes Burns, Greenhill, Horn, Fitts, and maybe 1-2 others. It's also possible that some of these guys go to a different summer league than their original so they can play. I haven't found much on the older players so they may not be playing this summer.

Here's what I have so far:

Freshmen
Devin Warner: Charlottesville TomSox, Valley League
Kason Howell: Charlottesville TomSox, Valley League
Richard Fitts: Charlottesville TomSox, Valley League
Ed Johnson: Danville Dans, Prospect League
Dawson Sweatt: Danville Dans, Prospect League
Will Morrison: Danville Dans, Prospect League
Ryan Bliss: Brewster Whitecaps, Cape Cod League
Garrett Wade: Brewster Whitecaps, Cape Cod League
Brody Moore: Elmira Pioneers, Perfect Game League
Brooks Fuller: Santa Barbara Foresters, Cal Summer League

Sophomores
Judd Ward: Strasburg Express, Valley League
Edouard Julien: Hyannis Harbor Hawks, Cape Cod League
Ryan Hoerter: Kenosha Kingfish, Northwoods League
Cody Greenhill: Brewster Whitecaps, Cape Cod League
Peyton Glavine: Falmouth Commodores, Cape Cod League
Steven Williams: Falmouth Commodores, Cape Cod League
Jack Owen: Chatham Anglers, Cape Cod League

Chase Hall: Strasburg Express, Valley League

Here's a link to the Pointstreak site where you can follow games and stats of each league. 

http://pointstreak.com/baseball/

Was Jack Owen the starter with the "fatigued" shoulder at the end of the season.  Wasn't he the one who only threw 1-2 innings against UNC before Fitts came in and cleaned up?

What is a fatigued shoulder?  And how is playing summer ball going to help?

43 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Was Jack Owen the starter with the "fatigued" shoulder at the end of the season.  Wasn't he the one who only threw 1-2 innings against UNC before Fitts came in and cleaned up?

What is a fatigued shoulder?  And how is playing summer ball going to help?

That was Tanner Burns, and I wonder if he'll rest it this summer....

Jack Owen had a bout of tendonitis in his forearm but seems to be just fine now. He pitched as a starter in Omaha.

Thanks Broom....hoping most of our pitchers take the summer off....too many arm problems of one sort or another....need some rest IMO....though hoping Fuller maybe gets some work and can improve his control issues 

Following up on our summer ball assignments. Jack Owen has been activated by the Chatham Anglers. Ryan Bliss has been activated by the Brewster Whitecaps. Only a handful of other guys that are still on the roster have registered any playing time. Looks like several guys that were originally on teams might not actually go to those teams and may take the summer off. Several pitchers definitely are, but there are also some position players that were on rosters that no longer show on those rosters.

Ed Johnson, Danville Dans: 0-1

Chase Hall, Strasburg Express: 1-3, 1 RBI

Brooks Fuller, Santa Barbara Foresters: 3 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 K, 3 BB

Julien is playing for Canada in the Pan Am games. My guess is that’s all the summer ball he plays this summer and might explain why he hasn’t reported to his Cape Cod assignment. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hey @boomstick. Are you DufnerFanBoy on the bunker?

One in the same. Not really a fan of that username, as it came from a lost bet, and it’s a ridiculous pain to get it changed. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

One in the same. Not really a fan of that username, as it came from a lost bet, and it’s a ridiculous pain to get it changed. 

I’ll make sure to look at more than just your avi pic in the future. LOL

Checking on the guys who are playing. Julien is off to a great start this summer. He did make it to the Cape to play for Hyannis. He’s hitting .389 (7-18) and has a hit in all five games he’s played. He has 4 doubles, one in each of his first four games. 

Ryan Bliss is also playing well at the plate. He has an 8-game hit streak and has hit safely in all but his first game for Brewster. 

Brody Moore is off to a fast start in his league. He was named the Player of the night three nights ago after a 4-4 night that included a HR and a double. He’s playing everyday SS for Elmira. 

Carson Skipper got his first start (second appearance) tonight. He went 4.0 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 7 K, 1 BB. Also of note, Peyton Glavine has joined the same roster with Skipper and Devin Warner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Hoerter returned from injury this weekend and threw 7 innings of 1-hit baseball in a shutout win for Kenosha. Good to see from him after a so-so start to the summer. 

Brooks Fuller started for Santa Barbara again yesterday and earned the win, going 5 innings and allowing 3 earned runs with 5 Ks and 1 walk on 5 hits. 

Ryan Bliss was released this morning from Brewster. He had not played in 8 days. He might’ve picked up a small injury that kept him out. 

Carson Skipper struggled in a start last night, allowing 5 ER on 6 hits with 5 Ks and 2 BBs. He’s had a pretty solid summer with a 14/5 K/BB ratio, which I think is an important number for him. His previous 6 innings he only allowed 2 runs and 4 hits with 9 Ks and 3 walks. Looking for him to bounce back in his next start. 

Devin Warner was released by Charlottesville. He finished his stint with them hitting .258/.378/.323. Never could quite get on track in the 9 games he played with them. 

There are a few guys still playing but nothing spectacular happening at the moment. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see all of them called home in the next week or two. It’s been a long year for all of them, and a break before school starts back probably wouldn’t hurt any of them.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, boomstick said:

Ryan Hoerter returned from injury this weekend and threw 7 innings of 1-hit baseball in a shutout win for Kenosha. Good to see from him after a so-so start to the summer. 

Other notes on him from Mark Murphy...

-was his Summer debut
-struck out 8 in that game
-Will be a sophomore in terms of eligibility.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, ellitor said:

Other notes on him from Mark Murphy...

-was his Summer debut
-struck out 8 in that game
-Will be a sophomore in terms of eligibility.

He pitched a couple innings for another team in Kenosha, the Kenosha Kingfish in the Northwoods League, back in June. He's now pitching for the Kenosha Kings in the Wisconsin State League (or something like that). 

• 2 weeks later...

A final wrap on the guys playing summer ball.

Jack Owen finished strongly in his last two outings with Chatham in the Cape Cod League. He threw 5.0 innings of relief in his last outing to earn the win, allowing 1 earned run on 4 hits. He finished his summer with a 14/2 K-to-BB ratio and had a .174 BAA in his last two appearances.

Ryan Bliss played 10 total games for Brewster in the Cape Cod League. He finished with a .286 BA (12-42), 8 runs, 2 RBI, 2 doubles, a triple, a HR, 5 stolen bases, and 8 Ks to 2 BB. His final slash was .286/.333/.452. He also had a 9-game hit streak when he finished playing. He played 2B all summer.

Brody Moore played in 26 games for the Elmira Pioneers in the Perfect Game Summer League. His final stat line was: .301 BA (31-103), 18 runs, 15 RBI, 4 doubles, 5 stolen bases, and 12/11 K-to-BB. He had 9 multi-hit games and a slash of .303/.386/.343 in their regular season. He played SS almost exclusively for Elmira.

Brooks Fuller had a very strong summer with Santa Barbara Foresters in the California Collegiate League, helping them win the CCL Championship and the California State Championship. The Foresters will play in the National Baseball Congress World Series starting today. In 5 appearances, Brooks has a 3-0 record with a 2.05 ERA in 22 innings pitched. He's allowed 5 earned runs on 16 hits, struck out 19, walked 7, has a WHIP of 1.045, and a .198 BAA. Brooks might have had the best summer of any Auburn baseball player, and it should be no surprise if he's a serious factor in the pitching rotation on next year's squad.

A trio of players were on the Charlottesville TomSox roster in the Valley League. Carson Skipper made 3 appearances (2 starts) and finished with a 1-2 record and 7.87 ERA in 8 innings. He allowed 10 hits and 5 walks while striking out 14. Skipper had a strong start to his summer with his first two outings but allowed 5 earned runs on 6 hits in 2 innings in his final start of the summer.

Peyton Glavine finished his summer with a 2-0 record in 9.0 innings pitched in three relief appearances. He had a 1.00 ERA, allowing just 1 run and 4 hits while collecting 13 Ks to just 3 walks. He was used for multiple innings in each appearance, the longest going 4.0 innings, and all were in close games. Great to see him get some innings and be successful.

Devin Warner played in 9 games for Charlottesville. His final stats: .258 (8-31), 7 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2 doubles, 13 K, and 4 walks. He spent most of his time playing RF.

Ed Johnson and Will Morrison played for the Danville Dans in the Prospect League. Johnson played in 27 games, mostly at SS. He hit .226 (19-84) with 22 runs scored, 6 RBI, 4 doubles, 3 triples, 7 stolen bases, and 19/15 K-to-BB. His final slash was .226/.356/.345. 

Will Morrison made 3 appearances, all in relief. He was 1-0 with a 3.00 ERA in 9.00 innings pitched. He allowed 3 earned runs, 7 hits, and 0 walks while striking out 7. His WHIP was 0.78 and his BAA was .206.

Jackson Henderson played for the Xenia Scouts in the Great Lakes League. Henderson's final stats were: .242 BA (15-62), 11 runs, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 8 stolen bases, 13/8 K-to-BB. His slash was .242/.385/.323.

Chase Hall is playing for the Strasburg Express in the Valley League. He's played in 16 games, all at C. He's hitting .192 (10-52) on the summer with 6 runs, 10 RBI, a double, and 2 HR. He walked 6 times and struck out 12. Strasburg is still playing in their league's playoffs.

Ryan Hoerter has played for two different teams in Kenosha, WI, his hometown. His stats are somewhat difficult to come by with his second team, the Kenosha Kings in the Wisconsin State League. From what I can gather, between the two leagues, he's 3-2 in 19 innings pitched, allowing 8 earned runs, 16 hits, and 6 walks while striking out 19. 

Incoming early enrollee freshman Johnny Ceccoli played for the Alexandria Aces in the Cal Ripken League. He finished the summer hitting .154 (8-52) with 6 runs, 5 RBI, 2 doubles, and 2 HRs. He had 21 strikeouts and 14 walks. His slash in the regular season was .143/.354/.333. Not great production, but it should help him this coming season. Steven Williams did something similar in the summer between HS and Auburn. Williams hit .213 in that same league in 2017 before coming to Auburn and having a fantastic freshman year. Not sure if Ceccoli will have the opportunity as a freshman that Williams did, but I like him wanting to play his summer ball at this level and test himself. Think it says a lot about him, and I won't be surprised to see him have an impact next spring.

All in all, a solid summer with some great experience for guys who didn't play much this year. The late run to the CWS probably kept several other guys from playing in summer leagues, but I'm not complaining. They will have a few weeks "off" before fall ball starts. Looking forward to that.

Archived