Open Club  ·  21 members

AUF DIY

Family room update

AU64

Bought myself a nice 55 inch TV for my birthday to replace my 30 inch set but had to change the small room to suit it.  Took out an old corner cabinet that was bought when a 26 inch TV weighed about 100 pounds and was as deep as it was wide.   The set is about 48 inches wide with QLED picture.  Built the cabinet as a kit down stairs and moved pieces upstairs and assembled it in the room which only took a couple days to get it all square and level.  Then just slid it into place. ... finished it yesterday....set up the TV and here it is. 

Next step is to build a duplex home office computer set-up for wife and me....same sunporch style as this unit.  Getting under way with it now. The chair and big computer work station  in the right side of the picture will be gone soon...I hope.     Will also replace floors and repaint everything when I get the big furniture out and my built-in pieces ready.   Paint and floor samples on the floor to see how they look to wifey.   Right side has pullout shelves for "stuff" and left side has a standard 3 drawer file tucked inside.     That corner previously had a big painted corner cupboard plus a 24 inch by 6 foot book case.  This makes it look less cluttered.  Gonna go for a light green/mushroom or something we have elsewhere that looks nice.  House is like one big room so everything has to be compatible with our "universal" trim color.    Trim is eider white or something like that.     

Been a while since I did anything big like this....having a great time.....😁

image.png

image.png

On 7/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, AU64 said:

Bought myself a nice 55 inch TV for my birthday to replace my 30 inch set but had to change the small room to suit it.  Took out an old corner cabinet that was bought when a 26 inch TV weighed about 100 pounds and was as deep as it was wide.   The set is about 48 inches wide with QLED picture.  Built the cabinet as a kit down stairs and moved pieces upstairs and assembled it in the room which only took a couple days to get it all square and level.  Then just slid it into place. ... finished it yesterday....set up the TV and here it is. 

Next step is to build a duplex home office computer set-up for wife and me....same sunporch style as this unit.  Getting under way with it now. The chair and big computer work station  in the right side of the picture will be gone soon...I hope.     Will also replace floors and repaint everything when I get the big furniture out and my built-in pieces ready.   Paint and floor samples on the floor to see how they look to wifey.   Right side has pullout shelves for "stuff" and left side has a standard 3 drawer file tucked inside.     That corner previously had a big painted corner cupboard plus a 24 inch by 6 foot book case.  This makes it look less cluttered.  Gonna go for a light green/mushroom or something we have elsewhere that looks nice.  House is like one big room so everything has to be compatible with our "universal" trim color.    Trim is eider white or something like that.     

Been a while since I did anything big like this....having a great time.....😁

image.png

Looks great and love the functional design. Are those sliding shelves on the right??

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Are those sliding shelves on the right??

Yep, got in the habit of doing that on some of my cabinets.   I'm building a computer work center and will do the same thing for my PC and Printer to give easy access to the ports on the rear of the devices.   Just pull out the "shelf" when needed to reach one of the rear ports.   Also make it possible to hide the UPS out of sight but still have the ability to pull it our for easy access.  

These euro slides for shelves are pretty easy to install and greatly increases the flexibility of the storage area without giving up space.....improves utilization since you can easily get to stuff at the back of a deep shelf. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep, got in the habit of doing that on some of my cabinets.   I'm building a computer work center and will do the same thing for my PC and Printer to give easy access to the ports on the rear of the devices.   Just pull out the "shelf" when needed to reach one of the rear ports.   Also make it possible to hide the UPS out of sight but still have the ability to pull it our for easy access.  

These euro slides for shelves are pretty easy to install and greatly increases the flexibility of the storage area without giving up space.....improves utilization since you can easily get to stuff at the back of a deep shelf. 

That's good to hear. Totally agreed on the usefulness. The house we bought has them in the kitchen and they're a game changer in those below-counter pots'n'pans cabinets. 

You guys would have laughed your butts off today.....working on phase II of my project and building a printer cabinet with storage, etc. and it took me 20 minutes and four cuts to complete a small piece of trim to my satisfaction.  Cut and fit....and fit and cut.....that old adage of measure twice and cut once was not nearly enough as I tried to get this thing right. 

Sometimes you just have to keep at it until you are satisfied....but came out well and I just kept the spoiled pieces and will use the wood somewhere else.   As long as a project is underway, I never thrown and scrap wood away. ...never know when it will be just what you need. 

Archived