Softball Facilities Thread

Timetable for baseball, softball facilities uncertain

The plans are still in place to build player development facilities for baseball and softball. The question is when construction will start. It apparently won’t be all that soon. That’s difficult for coaches who have used those plans in recruiting. I am convinced that, whether it’s on athletics director Allen Greene (I don’t believe it is) or the Board of Trustees or whomever, the promise made to Butch Thompson to start building the baseball development facility after the season should not have been delayed when 80 percent of the money has already been raised. The same is true for softball.

Coaches not happy with cuts

Though it’s about reallocating resources, some Auburn coaches in sports other than football and basketball have been asked to make significant cuts, and a lot of them are not happy about it at all.

The above from a portion of an article by Phillip Marshall/Auburn Undercover :Phillip's unhinged thoughts: Bonds, a very good year and more

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more i read about all the different media reports from all those Auburn high level people being blamed for lack of financing facility upgrades, etc, and who is responsible for not having a plan in place, it reminds me of the game Pin the Tail on the Donkey, and trying to find the A$$ is so difficult!

This from P. Marshall just adds to confusion. I simply wish the AD AND the BOTs would give us there plan for the near future and the years to come of what athletic facilities WILL be upgraded, replaced, HOW they will go about funding these needs, AND HOW they can put together a working group that annually reevaluates and defines the funding goals for future facility needs in ALL programs. PRO-ACTION not REACTION please!!

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The more i read about all the different media reports from all those Auburn high level people being blamed for lack of financing facility upgrades, etc, and who is responsible for not having a plan in place, it reminds me of the game Pin the Tail on the Donkey, and trying to find the A$$ is so difficult!

This from P. Marshall just adds to confusion. I simply wish the AD AND the BOTs would give us there plan for the near future and the years to come of what athletic facilities WILL be upgraded, replaced, HOW they will go about funding these needs, AND HOW they can put together a working group that annually reevaluates and defines the funding goals for future facility needs in ALL programs. PRO-ACTION not REACTION please!!

“One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.” 
 Edward Abbey, The Monkey Wrench Gang

On 6/30/2019 at 2:27 PM, steeleagle said:

The problem as I see it, If JGT's reporting is correct, is there are too many factions within the BOT/PTB (Supposedly at least 3) & they are often times pulling in different directions. All that to say if true then JABA.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

The problem as I see it, If JGT's reporting is correct, is there are too many factions within the BOT/PTB (Supposedly at least 3) & they are often times pulling in different directions. All that to say if true then JABA.

If that is the case, then shame on Auburn. I like to take the Pearl approach, in that lets quit using the JABA line, when things go wrong. Pearl debunked it recently, and it seems we have done that in our sports programs for now with the great success in so many of our programs.

I hope now that Greene and whoever the new President will be, that we can do the same with the BOT and PTB and get rid of JABA at that level too. I am assuming that the 3 are Harbert, Raines, and not sure who the 3rd is...

p.s. Even though there were a lot of complaints in the past, we seemed to be more inline when we had one large voice calling the shots (BL)...

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I am assuming that the 3 are Harbert, Raines, and not sure who the 3rd is

The third is supposedly a faction that don’t want to be in a faction. LOL

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

If that is the case, then shame on Auburn. I like to take the Pearl approach, in that lets quit using the JABA line, when things go wrong. Pearl debunked it recently, and it seems we have done that in our sports programs for now with the great success in so many of our programs.

I hope now that Greene and whoever the new President will be, that we can do the same with the BOT and PTB and get rid of JABA at that level too. I am assuming that the 3 are Harbert, Raines, and not sure who the 3rd is...

p.s. Even though there were a lot of complaints in the past, we seemed to be more inline when we had one large voice calling the shots (BL)...

Wonder why anyone thinks it is reasonable that a bunch of type A personalities, like those usually found on the Board of any major organization are gonna see eye to eye on anything.   Just sit on a Church Council or Town Council or Library Board and see.      I am confident that all have AU's best interest at heart …...except that each may have their own view of what "best interest really means.   Plus, if everyone thinks alike, why bother to get a bunch of people with different personal backgrounds,  educational specialties and life experiences to provide the "diversity" that is craved so greatly these day?    

JABA is an insult and I'm ashamed of AU people who use for what they consider bad decisions or slow action as if they have some superior understanding of the situation.    AU's BOT members give up a lot of time (and probably a lot of money) trying to do what is good for AU.    I don't always agree....but I respect that whatever they have decided was probably done with the best intent for Auburn University.....if not always for someone's favorite sport. 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:03 PM, AU64 said:

Wonder why anyone thinks it is reasonable that a bunch of type A personalities, like those usually found on the Board of any major organization are gonna see eye to eye on anything.   Just sit on a Church Council or Town Council or Library Board and see.      I am confident that all have AU's best interest at heart …...except that each may have their own view of what "best interest really means.   Plus, if everyone thinks alike, why bother to get a bunch of people with different personal backgrounds,  educational specialties and life experiences to provide the "diversity" that is craved so greatly these day?    

JABA is an insult and I'm ashamed of AU people who use for what they consider bad decisions or slow action as if they have some superior understanding of the situation.    AU's BOT members give up a lot of time (and probably a lot of money) trying to do what is good for AU.    I don't always agree....but I respect that whatever they have decided was probably done with the best intent for Auburn University.....if not always for someone's favorite sport. 

You make some good points but what I mean by JABA in this case is more times than not the BOT for as long as I can remember they have stood in the way of some real progress with athletics, particularly on the facilities side of things. In this case they either need to come together & work with AD Greene to get facilities projects done for all sports or get out of Greene's way & let the man do the damn job he was hired to do.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

....... In this case they either need to come together & work with AD Greene to get facilities projects done for all sports or get out of Greene's way & let the man do the damn job he was hired to do.

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

You make some good points but what I mean by JABA in this case is more times than not the BOT for as long as I can remember they have stood in the way of some real progress with athletics, particularly on the facilities side of things. In this case they either need to come together & work with AD Greene to get facilities projects dohne for all sports or get out of Greene's way & let the man do the damn job he was hired to do.

Sorry but AG has to work within the system.....he's not the only person in upper management of the university ...and if sports is the main priority at Auburn University when it comes to financial needs,.....things are really rock bottom. 

Back to facilities.... I would say Jane B is top 10% in the country but probably 12/13 in the SEC. Would Plainsman Park be 13/14 over Mizzou or dead last? 

Softball needs an indoor hitting facility, and those temporary bleachers that are out right now need to be replaced with a permanent concrete upper deck level.

I thought we put the indoor hitting facility in back in the winter.  I remember seeing photos on Twitter.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

48 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I thought we put the indoor hitting facility in back in the winter.  I remember seeing photos on Twitter.  Am I remembering incorrectly?

If they did, it's not truly indoor. I work back there for games.

21 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

No, we just redid the netting to create a little more flexibility. It is still outdoors with the roof. It is fine when it is not too cold or too hot or too wet :)

• 2 weeks later...

From a portion of a receent Phillip Marshall article in AuburnUndercover….A number of these statements apply to softball.

Questions for Auburn administration

Some questions Auburn’s administration should ask:

--Why can Vanderbilt spend $12 million and Arkansas $27 million on baseball development facilities and Auburn has a $5 million facility on hold?

--Why can Mississippi State and South Carolina have national championship contenders in women’s basketball and Auburn can’t get seriously into the conversation?

--Why would Auburn, which took in almost $150 million last year, need to cut 10 percent from the budgets of most sports?

--Is it really worth the ill will it causes to put the football game day experience – tailgating, etc. – for sale to the highest bidder?

--Why is Auburn not proactive in building facilities instead of reactive, which leaves it far, far behind others on its level in some important areas?

--How long will it be before successful coaches, tired of being asked to do more with less, start looking around at places where they wouldn’t be asked to do that?

Does anyone know why they removed the temporary seats at the Softball field?  I thought they had sold all or most of those seats.  So, there will be fewer seat for sale next year?   It seem strange to me, to remove temps seats before building permanent seating, because they were being sold.  My guess there will be lots of disappointed softball fans next season.

3 hours ago, tallgraycat said:

Does anyone know why they removed the temporary seats at the Softball field?  I thought they had sold all or most of those seats.  So, there will be fewer seat for sale next year?   It seem strange to me, to remove temps seats before building permanent seating, because they were being sold.  My guess there will be lots of disappointed softball fans next season.

Don't hold me to this but I believe they were being rented/leased.  Could be it was a savings to remove while not in use and reinstalled prior to next season.  Likely not needed  required for fall ball.  If I find the article regarding this I will link/post it.  I believe it was part of the budget cuts announced by the AD at the end of June.

35 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Don't hold me to this but I believe they were being rented/leased.  Could be it was a savings to remove while not in use and reinstalled prior to next season.  Likely not needed  required for fall ball.  If I find the article regarding this I will link/post it.  I believe it was part of the budget cuts announced by the AD at the end of June.

Thanks, I droved by and saw them being removed temporary seats and laying sod.  It just seemed strange to me, but saving rent makes sense to economic guy, but why not do in past year?  

19 hours ago, tallgraycat said:

Thanks, I droved by and saw them being removed temporary seats and laying sod.  It just seemed strange to me, but saving rent makes sense to economic guy, but why not do in past year?  

Budget cuts can be one of two things we are short money so have to cut something even if it is important or we realize we have not spent money efficiently and we can get rid of waste without affecting program. The rent sounds like the second category and probably should have done it before. 

That said it is time for Auburn to step up to the plate and make the facility changes needed by all of our sports to allow us to compete on an even keel with other SEC programs.

Suspect this is why the bleachers have been removed:  http://www.auburn.edu/administration/facilities/webapps/projects/profile.php?proj=17-197 

Project Overview:
This project will construct a one-story, approximately 10,000 square foot facility along the first base line to include an indoor infield, player restrooms, and retractable nets for batting tunnels when the infield is not in use.

I can't visualize how the temporary bleachers would have  interfered  with the project described above since it is in the area of the visitor pitching cages at the end of the stadium down 3rd base side.  

Portion of Phillip Marshall article June 29, 2019:

and from a June 26 article: 

Baseball isn’t the only program with urgent needs. Jane B. Moore Field is even further behind the competition than Plainsman Park. The plan is to start construction on a player development facility for softball in the fall. But the plan was also to start construction on the baseball facility as soon as the season was over. Facilities for soccer and track are well behind, too.

It costs money to compete at the highest level. It just does. No one is going to spend the least and win the most. Outside of football and basketball, what does the Auburn administration really want and what is it willing to do to get there? Maybe that’s the biggest question of all.

(edit) Found the following I was looking for from Phillip Marshall article June 25: 

--Dean said the temporary stands had to be removed at Jane B. Moore Field while the contract is being renegotiated but are expected to be back up next season.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates, videos or photos of the progress relative to the construction of the softball indoor facility? Are there any renderings of the completed facility?

Thanks in advance is anyone has information to share.

This recent post from the AU softball site at least gives some update on the upper-deck seating which had been removed.  Don't know if bleachers or actual seats.  Maybe seating = seats??

"We look forward to a challenging 2020 schedule, which will feature half of the 2019 Women's College World Series field," Dean said. "We are excited to host several home tournaments for our fans with new upper-deck seating."

Archived