Softball Facilities Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:02 AM, slot canyon said:

image.pngaccording to some ticket info I received these are the new seats in sections 101, 102,  and 103 which had previously been bleachers.  Good upgrade for fans.

Good news.  I just ordered a 6 game ticket package and I'm in Section 101.  Yoohoo!!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have knowledge of where we might find renderings or actual visual plans for what our finished product might be relative to the indoor facility being built at Jan B. Moore? When you look at the money that has been spent at LSU on their entire softball complex which included an indoor facility down the first baseline when built. Now, they have opened a new, second indoor performance center for the softball complex in right center field. Just wondering what AU will have. I'm hopeful its not just a bandaid being put on a lack of facility problem we have for softball compared to most of the other SEC programs we must compete against. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Great...but where's my seat-side margarita machine??  😊

If you take a close look at the photo there are construction workers doing some of the finishing touches.  I believe the margarita machines will be the last items installed right after the heating/cooling/vibrating chair units. 

• 3 weeks later...

Read an article the other day that surprised me. Clemson started playing Softball just this year. Surprised that a school like Clemson never had a softball team. Also, they spent 14 million on the stadium and it looks amazing. 

Not to be the downer of the group but this is what baseball was approved for and what they are getting.

image.png

This is what softball was approved for yet what they got was permanent temporary seating.

image.png

We are going to have a new building and new seats, host the SEC tournament in a few years and will still be in the bottom 3rd of facilities in the SEC.  Win, lose or draw softball should have gotten something close to this rendering.  

Spoiler

UL Lafayette has a beautiful stadium. Passed by it today. The softball and baseball stadiums just look majestic up close. This article was written a year ago and the softball stadium is considered the 2nd best stadium in the country. 
https://louisiana.edu/news-events/news/20190206/ul-lafayette-lamson-park-no-2-list-nation-top-softball-fields

If a mid major athletic budget can produce these type of facilities, then why can’t we?

To be fair, the baseball and softball programs At ULL have had more success than us consistently over the past decade. More percentage of money is used for them, but all the facilities are top notch. 

A few pics below. The first is the softball and the other two are baseball. DA39DC0F-A19F-419E-9728-FD754A6EFCC4.jpeg

DFB144D7-7515-41EF-9426-A957C8B5A2DD.jpeg

7B2F3C41-FB01-42C3-A740-C6B2288256FF.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:43 AM, steeleagle said:

Is there an actual design layout of it, to get a better idea of how it will look inside/outside when completed?

Don't have a layout but did see a recent Zoom Call with Coach Dean in which the facilities were discussed.  He stated 6 or 7 drop down cages, each TV/internet hook up so players can get instant feed back.  Cages can go up to provide infield with base lines, bases and dirt pitching area.  Apparently if pitch on turf pitchers have better control and velocity and takes some time to adjust when go on dirt field.  Also a small team area with video to watch game video and a storage area.  Interestingly, moving the home dugout to first base side so can transition from dugout to bull pen to indoor facility.   Will mention that he was not bashful about his excitement over the pitching staff next season.  Also mentioned KK Dismukes had surgery prior to last years arrival and had not pitched in quite a while.  I thought she was held back because of some sort of "over use injury" but was not aware of the surgery.  Maybe I missed something.  

On 6/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, slot canyon said:

Don't have a layout but did see a recent Zoom Call with Coach Dean in which the facilities were discussed.  He stated 6 or 7 drop down cages, each TV/internet hook up so players can get instant feed back.  Cages can go up to provide infield with base lines, bases and dirt pitching area.  Apparently if pitch on turf pitchers have better control and velocity and takes some time to adjust when go on dirt field.  Also a small team area with video to watch game video and a storage area.  Interestingly, moving the home dugout to first base side so can transition from dugout to bull pen to indoor facility.   Will mention that he was not bashful about his excitement over the pitching staff next season.  Also mentioned KK Dismukes had surgery prior to last years arrival and had not pitched in quite a while.  I thought she was held back because of some sort of "over use injury" but was not aware of the surgery.  Maybe I missed something.  

Can you share any more information about what Coach Dean said on the call?

On 6/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, slot canyon said:

Will mention that he was not bashful about his excitement over the pitching staff next season.  Also mentioned KK Dismukes had surgery prior to last years arrival and had not pitched in quite a while.  I thought she was held back because of some sort of "over use injury" but was not aware of the surgery.  Maybe I missed something.

I'm excited about the pitching we will have next year too.  Along with the returning seniors, it should be a much better season.  Slot I think we all "missed" something with Dismukes' injury.  Darn HIPAA rules.😉

21 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Can you share any more information about what Coach Dean said on the call?

Per a request, I reviewed the 30 min Zoom call and give my interpretation of what was said. 

What has CMD been doing.  A lot of Zoom calls and regional motor cycle riding.

Regarding seniors returning.  After they got word that seniors would be allowed to play another season, they realized it may cause some roster issues.  A 29 player roster can cause some “headaches” However, they could not call themselves “family” if they did not welcome back any seniors who wished to play another season. 

Maturity of the returning seniors should have a positive impact.  ‘We always tell players to practice, compete and play as though it could be your last game.”  The seniors experienced this and for over a month did not know if they had played their last game.  Seniors had all gone out and gotten trainers to in effect turn a negative into a positive.  

Recruiting has been mainly phone calls and Zoom calls to include the player and their family. 

Felt the 2020 team would have a slow start but be playing their best ball toward the end.

When they went to California he felt the team made strides on becoming closer and they realized they could  become more versatile than they originally thought.  Implied that some players who maybe did not shine in practice stepped up in the game situation.  Specifically mentioned that was when S. Yarbrough really began to hit her groove after a shaky fall.  70% of the games they won, they came from behind.  Some discussion about Rivera have early season problems at the plate and sitting her out for a game and then she came back strong.  Related that again to maturity saying a younger player may have folded after having to sit down.  Commented on hitting by McCondichie and Dowell.  Dowell had struggled prior season but now seeing ball well.  Also mentioned her great coordination and good hands.  Commented about the bloop hit Garcia had against Georgia State and alertly took second base on the play.  He referred to her hit as a “duck fart”.  Next batter up was Rivera who hit HR. 

Pitching:   Felt the work ethic displayed by Ashley and Lexie “rubbed off” on the rest of the staff,  Had basically been almost a year since KK Dismukes had thrown against a batter.  From what they saw, she had her velocity back and her movement but not her control.  We may have 4 or 5 kids who could be anybody’s number 1 or number 2 in the country.  “You’ve got your top righty and top lefty in the country coming in next year.  Both will get the opportunity to play for USA softball.  You have a righty (Yarbrough) and a lefty (Shelby Lowe) who have a lot of movement while Lexie and Penta can throw 70+ from the left and right sides.  Then KK and Yarbrough through a lot of movement.  Feels there is some power arriving as regards to hitting.

Kaylee Horton transfer:  She was the kind of player that played big in big situations. “She reached out to me a said she wanted to come to Auburn which was important to me and in a matter of one day she became an Auburn Tiger.”

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Per a request, I reviewed the 30 min Zoom call and give my interpretation of what was said. 

What has CMD been doing.  A lot of Zoom calls and regional motor cycle riding.

Regarding seniors returning.  After they got word that seniors would be allowed to play another season, they realized it may cause some roster issues.  A 29 player roster can cause some “headaches” However, they could not call themselves “family” if they did not welcome back any seniors who wished to play another season. 

Maturity of the returning seniors should have a positive impact.  ‘We always tell players to practice, compete and play as though it could be your last game.”  The seniors experienced this and for over a month did not know if they had played their last game.  Seniors had all gone out and gotten trainers to in effect turn a negative into a positive.  

Recruiting has been mainly phone calls and Zoom calls to include the player and their family. 

Felt the 2020 team would have a slow start but be playing their best ball toward the end.

When they went to California he felt the team made strides on becoming closer and they realized they could  become more versatile than they originally thought.  Implied that some players who maybe did not shine in practice stepped up in the game situation.  Specifically mentioned that was when S. Yarbrough really began to hit her groove after a shaky fall.  70% of the games they won, they came from behind.  Some discussion about Rivera have early season problems at the plate and sitting her out for a game and then she came back strong.  Related that again to maturity saying a younger player may have folded after having to sit down.  Commented on hitting by McCondichie and Dowell.  Dowell had struggled prior season but now seeing ball well.  Also mentioned her great coordination and good hands.  Commented about the bloop hit Garcia had against Georgia State and alertly took second base on the play.  He referred to her hit as a “duck fart”.  Next batter up was Rivera who hit HR. 

Pitching:   Felt the work ethic displayed by Ashley and Lexie “rubbed off” on the rest of the staff,  Had basically been almost a year since KK Dismukes had thrown against a batter.  From what they saw, she had her velocity back and her movement but not her control.  We may have 4 or 5 kids who could be anybody’s number 1 or number 2 in the country.  “You’ve got your top righty and top lefty in the country coming in next year.  Both will get the opportunity to play for USA softball.  You have a righty (Yarbrough) and a lefty (Shelby Lowe) who have a lot of movement while Lexie and Penta can throw 70+ from the left and right sides.  Then KK and Yarbrough through a lot of movement.  Feels there is some power arriving as regards to hitting.

Kaylee Horton transfer:  She was the kind of player that played big in big situations. “She reached out to me a said she wanted to come to Auburn which was important to me and in a matter of one day she became an Auburn Tiger.”

Very small section on how recruitings been. Hopefully he’s getting to know very well and building relationships with recruits and there family’s with all the free time rn. 
I’m sure Dean’s doing a good job bc he snagged Penta and Lowe. Very excited for our future, just wish he elaborated more on recruiting.

Archived