What is the most pivotal game this season?

Auburnfan91

Most Pivitol game?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Most Pivitol Game This Season

• Oregon
    • @ Texas A&M
    • Miss St.
    • @ Florida
    • @ Arkansas
    • @ LSU
    • UGA
    • Bama

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are all pro Auburn fans. Being a diverse community it just means we just see things 50 million different ways.

Never said here once I want Gus to lose a game. I want him to win them all.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's cliche but the next one.

I respect Oregon but as weak as their D is & as strong as our DL is we should beat them by at least a score of 38-20. Gus really could use a statement noncon win.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Never said here once I want Gus to lose a game. I want him to win them all.

I know & I wasn't taking a shot at you or anyone. You know I share most of the frustrations you express.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I respect Oregon but as weak as their D is & as strong as our DL is we should beat them by at least a score of 38-20. Gus really could use a statement noncon win.

This is exactly right. The most pivotal game will be the ducks. Then A&M is just as pivotal.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That’s how I feel . We lose to Oregon and that will tell me about where the line play is this year . 

I'm gonna say there are two...

First is the August 31st opener against Oregon because it sets both the tone for the season and will have an outsized effect on national perceptions. Win that game and our Tigers are assumed to really be in the hunt. Lose that game and our Tigers will be battling the resulting perception all season long.

Second pivotal game is the September 21st SEC opener on the road against Texas A&M.   It matters in terms of the SEC West, in terms of perception of Gus Malzahn, and in terms of our Tiger's chances nationally.

I really can't separate these games in terms of which is more pivotal in terms of our Tigers having a shot at the whole ball of wax come season's end.  And just for the record, I expect our Tigers to win 'em both.

War Eagle!

The Oregon game is critical in the sense that it will allow us to see how Gus has prepared the offense with a Redshirt Freshman/Freshman QB leading the team.  Will Gus have confidence in his new QB or come up with a game plan like Clemson 2016?  Winning this game is not critical as it is not a SEC game and it is early in the season.

The T A&M game will be the one that tells us how the season will go.  Gus vs Jimbo part 3.  They are 1 and 1.  Will Gus actually show some aggressiveness and put the pedal down and keep it there, or allow Jumbo to dictate how the game goes in the second half?  If Gus has truly had a change of attitude, this game will tell us a lot.  We will see what he does.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

:rollin:

. Nice non answer. 

Anybody can attack the part as though it’s the whole. And doing so in a subjective thread where opinions are encouraged just makes you look pitiful.

One of these days you should throw the white flag. It’s not working out for you. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

. Nice non answer. 

Anybody can attack the part as though it’s the whole. And doing so in a subjective thread where opinions are encouraged just makes you look pitiful.

One of these days you should throw the white flag. It’s not working out for you. 

I did answer the OP. You should learn to read thru the whole thread. geoffrey.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are all pro Auburn fans. Being a diverse community it just means we just see things 50 million different ways.

Amen E !!!

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I did answer the OP. You should learn to read thru the whole thread. geoffrey.

I never said anything about the OP. You quoted my post, mocked that I listed 4 critical games and failed to point out that I thought there was a certain number that needed to be won which I deemed more critical than individual wins. Again, attack the meat of the argument, not a portion of it. 

If you want the preferred answer: “all of them” then there is your thread. 

Oregon and A&M.  With our schedule we really need to be undefeated before we meet the meat of our schedule for most teams playing Oregon and A&M would be considered  the meat of the schedule but with bama , Georgia, LSU and Florida on our schedule we don't have a schedule we are running into a meat grinder.

I feel like we will be 9-3 with some close losses. I think A&M, LSU and Alabama will be our losses. I think we have some great timed bye weeks which will help us with UGA this year for sure. 

That being said, I would be okay if we we 10-2 and our only losses were to Florida and Alabama. Of course the loss to Alabama being 10-1 that would hurt bad :(

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

Oregon and A&M.  With our schedule we really need to be undefeated before we meet the meat of our schedule for most teams playing Oregon and A&M would be considered  the meat of the schedule but with bama , Georgia, LSU and Florida on our schedule we don't have a schedule we are running into a meat grinder.

No reason Oregon, Florida and the Aggies shouldn’t be wins. It is funny Florida is getting hyped like crazy because last year when I was huge on Dan Mullen, a good bit of the community on here ridiculed me for it. Maybe it was due to hard feelings from his past, but now all of a sudden the consensus on here is UF is a big problem. Could it be because they have a quality coach who can tap into their talents? 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

No reason Oregon, Florida and the Aggies shouldn’t be wins. It is funny Florida is getting hyped like crazy because last year when I was huge on Dan Mullen, a good bit of the community on here ridiculed me for it. Maybe it was due to hard feelings from his past, but now all of a sudden the consensus on here is UF is a big problem. Could it be because they have a quality coach who can tap into their talents? 

I worry about Florida because we play them after at A&m and then Miss State. Florida plays Tennessee and then Towson before us. 

A&M is going to be an early road game. I will be less worried if our QB situation is stable. But if we have a struggling gatewood and we are looking at yanking and bringing Nix in, it could fall apart quick if Nix doesn’t work out either. The first 4 weeks will tell us a lot and then from there it’s about injuries and building depth!

8 hours ago, kevon67 said:

😂.........sadly I understand him perfectly.........Bayou Speak😂

Way back when I worked on relief for Hurricane Katrina we hired a sure 'nuff Cajun to help out.  I really liked the guy but in just about every conversation I felt like I needed a translator.  He'd speak and I'd be all like "What did he say?" LOL's!

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mullen is a quirky guy, but what he did at MSU is impressive, and the biggest indicator of his coaching competence is how strong their roster was last year without him. His record with player development is as solid as anyone. UF will be a huge challenge for us, especially in the Swamp. 

Texas A&M.

They are outpacing us in facilities, coaching and now recruiting.

How long before we're considered 4th best program in the West?

Starting conference play 0-1 is bad enough for this season, but might signal them slotting in above us in the West for the foreseeable future.

We need that one for this year and beyond.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

True, but "we" are pretty far down the list of reasons Gus needs to do a good job in that game. And I do mean do a good job. Win? Well, we'll just have to see what kind of mistakes we make and how good Oregon ends up being. 

[snip]

Those Clemson losses, though... Our players were up to the task but our coach was not.

Ya know, those Clemson teams turned out to be pretty good and the losses were all close.  I will give you the "let's play musical chairs with QB's because our starter may be our starter but then again maybe not" game.  Still scratch my head over that one. But other than that, given what Dabo turns out to have had in terms of teams, I can't say I see those L's (other than the one with the QB musical chairs) as a black mark on Gus.  Our Tigers were pretty even. We just lost is all.

Gotta go Oregon.  If the offense comes out humming you have 2-3 weeks till TaMu to further gel on offense.  TaMu meanwhile has to play Clemson week 2 at Clemson so hopefully they get taken down a notch by then. 

If Auburn comes out and the offense looks like a turd then Miss State becomes the pivotal game because it may mean the difference between Auburn going bowling or not.

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Ya know, those Clemson teams turned out to be pretty good and the losses were all close.  I will give you the "let's play musical chairs with QB's because our starter may be our starter but then again maybe not" game.  Still scratch my head over that one. But other than that, given what Dabo turns out to have had in terms of teams, I can't say I see those L's (other than the one with the QB musical chairs) as a black mark on Gus.  Our Tigers were pretty even. We just lost is all.

The musical chairs CoxCat offense in 2016 significantly outperformed the offense in the 2017 game. Both were horrid. Fun fact: Add our total yardage from both games together and we still don't have as many yards of offense as Clemson in 2016 alone. In fact, both years together don't even total 380 yards of total offense. 

Clemson was obviously very good both years and there was no shame in losing to them. But losing to them in the manner(s) that we did was beyond unacceptable. 

Can't be said enough. It's not the W-L totals. It's how we've been losing these games. The Clemson embarrassments. The blown leads against LSU. The Tennessee loss. Any of the MSU losses, but especially the one where we only scored 9 points and possessed the ball for less than 15 minutes. UCF. Less than 10 points scored against uga like 3 or 4 times. Gus regularly shows up unprepared and lost. That's not a function of our competition. 

The+Professional+Gary+Oldman+everyone.gi

I think it's important we be at least competitive in every game this season. We can't afford to give away winnable games against inferior teams like we have nearly every season under Gus. If we have another Tennessee this year it's probably curtains for this staff. 

2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If we have another Tennessee this year it's probably curtains for this staff. 

Ugh. I hate seeing it phrased this way. Not that you shouldn't phrase it this way, because it's of course the most accurate way of saying it. I just hate to think of losing this staff, especially on defense. 

10 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

The+Professional+Gary+Oldman+everyone.gi

I think it's important we be at least competitive in every game this season. We can't afford to give away winnable games against inferior teams like we have nearly every season under Gus. If we have another Tennessee this year it's probably curtains for this staff. 

Should have been competitive in every game last year.

Archived