What is the most pivotal game this season?

Auburnfan91

Most Pivitol game?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Most Pivitol Game This Season

• Oregon
    • @ Texas A&M
    • Miss St.
    • @ Florida
    • @ Arkansas
    • @ LSU
    • UGA
    • Bama

winning does wonders for us all, be it big, small, fat, and sometimes tall!  But lose a game and folks go insane time after time. This is the rub guys and gals.  Doc's take on the season. All games are important. We have the potential to beat any team on our schedule, but could lose on any given Saturday in the SEC. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Now that's brilliance right there my friends

Some need the simplicity

For me, it’s Oregon. Gus is “back” to running the O. New coordinator. New starting QB’s. That’s a lot of new pieces to be breaking in on a national stage against a top 10 opponent.

21 hours ago, kevon67 said:

😂.........sadly I understand him perfectly.........Bayou Speak😂

download.jpeg

12 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Thanks for helping during Katrina👍❤...........Been around that accent and variations of my whole life...........if you stay in Louisiana long enough......especially Houma and Grand Isle you'll have that accent......like it or not🤣.............Coach O unloaded shrimp boats growing up.......so did I for a few summers no work permit needed........so I'll always have a soft spot for him👍

Love this, Kevon67!  We had an awesome spring break trip to "Cajun Country" last March...some of the best people on the planet. Fab AirBnb, grandson renovated (at age 19!) family cottage...Lafayette area (Carencro). Loved the Tabasco tour...loved boudin...loved everything about it and want to return. 

Pivotal game? Fantastic thread and great insights. For me, #1. As hot seat as things have (deservedly) been, something's going to have to look a LOT different from the get-go. Right or wrong, the court of public opinion is holding a shorter leash this season. Waiting until game 4 to get to firing on all cylinders is a legacy Auburn can't afford to continue. Hopeful, but guarded. Always.

6 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Love this, Kevon67!  We had an awesome spring break trip to "Cajun Country" last March...some of the best people on the planet. Fab AirBnb, grandson renovated (at age 19!) family cottage...Lafayette area (Carencro). Loved the Tabasco tour...loved boudin...loved everything about it and want to return. 

Pivotal game? Fantastic thread and great insights. For me, #1. As hot seat as things have (deservedly) been, something's going to have to look a LOT different from the get-go. Right or wrong, the court of public opinion is holding a shorter leash this season. Waiting until game 4 to get to firing on all cylinders is a legacy Auburn can't afford to continue. Hopeful, but guarded. Always.

Totally agree👍............One of the reasons I think Oregon is pretty big.........while you can recover from opening loss(provided Auburn wins out) I am afraid with an opening loss its quite possible the wheels could fall off fast.........If Auburn can get the home team advantage mojo back it would be huge.

I really want CGM to be successful.....and thought he would be around for 10 years having much success........hate seeing Head Coaching changes every 4 years as it seems to set the program back. I also think CGM is a good man that runs a clean program.......like you hopeful but guarded as well.

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

The whole thing was hard to watch sitting there among those clanging cowbells. Couldn't shut them up because we couldn't score. Then to make it worse for me, I know I'm in the minority here, I had to sit through the Don't Stop Believing 4th Qtr intro. Hate that song. My wife knows I love her but if sitting there with her and her cowbell doesn't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt I just don't know what will. I work with State fans and they don't need much encouragement to think they are something else. 🙄

It has indeed been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Congrats on finding The One!

image.png

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It has indeed been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Congrats on finding The One!

image.png

2010 was a very good year. I met my wife. Auburn won the NC and Green Bay won the SB after that season. All of that and she puts up with me. She's a keeper for sure.

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yet we have wiggled out of a similar hole and into second of the CFP rankings as late as conference championship weekend. It took three losses to knock us out of the CFP that year. Being non conference and the game being so early helps assuming it is a hypothetically close loss. 

If you think that a 3 loss team will be in the playoff discussion year after year then I can't help you. That year was a unicorn. It's still a L is the win and loss column in a year Gus can't afford a bunch of L's. It's a VERY winnable game for AU. AU matches up perfectly against the ducks. AU has the better athletes across the board. Looks like the locker room isn't divided like last year. New year and some players stepping up and leading.

17 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'll take Miss St. as most pivotal to AU having a decent season and therefore Gus surviving another season. We can lose Oregon and people will complain but it is not a critical game in anyway unless AU is in natty convo at end of season. And if we are in natty convo then the year went well and no one we care much about a loss to Oregon months ago. 

Next is A&M, first SEC game of the year.....we are playing away even if we have won the last couple played there. A loss and the fan base gets extremely restless. But we have state at home the next week so we can bounce back. 

Now if we lose to State at home thats when the noise will be too loud to ignore. Gus has not lost a team yet at AU but a loss here and gets really hard to see how the team makes a bowl game and therefore keep the coach employed. When you start talking about coaches getting fired then you start worrying about the team mental state. Would they coaches and seniors be able to stop the bleeding or would momentum be too far against them at that point? 

If AU drops both the Oregon game and the A&M game then Gus won't make it to October IMO. You talk about being on the hot seat and under the gun. Will be like nothing we have ever seen before.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If AU drops both the Oregon game and the A&M game then Gus won't make it to October IMO. You talk about being on the hot seat and under the gun. Will be like nothing we have ever seen before.

It'll be like every other coach we've had to fire before...but hopefully handled with more dignity than Terry B. 

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Really? Watching our defense keep them out of the end zone for almost the entire game was worse than watching our offense refuse to score? Maybe it was different in the stadium than on TV.

Keep hearing about the Miss St game over and over. Folks don't realize what the locker room was like. It was a mess. Was a mess for most of the season after LSU. No leadership from anyone, including the coaches. No one on offense knew who was doing what. Fly by the seat of their pants. The D players could see this.  Left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Told it was part of the reason that a lot of the players came back. To right that wrong. 

For anyone here to say that the D was the main reason for AU's record last year is just plain stupid. As dumb as can be. Sure the D didn't play as well as they should or could have but the O damn sure didn't help them much at all.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Keep hearing about the Miss St game over and over. Folks don't realize what the locker room was like. It was a mess. Was a mess for most of the season after LSU. No leadership from anyone, including the coaches. No one on offense knew who was doing what. Fly by the seat of their pants. The D players could see this.  Left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Told it was part of the reason that a lot of the players came back. To right that wrong. 

For anyone here to say that the D was the main reason for AU's record last year is just plain stupid. As dumb as can be. Sure the D didn't play as well as they should or could have but the O damn sure didn't help them much at all.

We had 2 offensive starters transfer mid season...I'd say it was a mess.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

For anyone here to say that the D was the main reason for AU's record last year is just plain stupid.

I think most of us believe it was a team loss and that the defense has room to improve. Only a very small minority actually has this agenda.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think most of us believe it was a team loss and that the defense has room to improve. Only a very small minority actually has this agenda.

I'd say 2 and they fit the standards set by WDE

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We won’t fire a coach if we are sitting a 2-2. Yeah the seat will be hot but he’ll have a chance to recover. Now 2-3 with a home loss to state. All bets are off

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If you think that a 3 loss team will be in the playoff discussion year after year then I can't help you.

I definitely said it was the third loss that knocked us out. Your reading comprehension skills need finetuning.

Look at our schedule, if we happened to only lose to Oregon and to LSU( similar to 2017,) we’d definitely be in the CFP. It would include wins v A&M, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. 

The Oregon game may do confidence damage (that can still be built back up), but there is plenty of season left to recover. It would be a non conference loss, an early loss, and hopefully a competitive loss against a top 25 team. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Folks don't realize what the locker room was like. It was a mess. Was a mess for most of the season after LSU. No leadership from anyone, including the coaches. No one on offense knew who was doing what. Fly by the seat of their pants.

I can believe this, totally.  The 2nd half of the LSU game was the same as the previous year’s LSU game.  The Southern Miss game looked out of sorts and the Arkansas game was full of offensive mistakes highlighted by several delay of game penalties.  Stidham looked very frustrated during that game and MSU took advantage of our ineptness. 

I don’t know what happened when Iggy intercepted Mond’s pass in the A&M game, but somebody got inspired on offense. After the Ole Miss game they went back into confusion mode.

Hoping for better results this year.  Gus does better when he has complete faith in his starting QB.

29 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If AU drops both the Oregon game and the A&M game then Gus won't make it to October IMO

Auburn has never fired a coach mid-season unless I’m wrong (which I think I’m not.)

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just remember folks saying that all Gus needed was a average defense. He has had a very above average defense since he hired Steele. Would be nice if the offense was as consistent as the D has been since Steele was hired. But it has not. So now people are on the D because of the Miss State game.  A game the O only scored 9 damn points? Just mind boggling.

Lets not forget the D bailed out AU in the Washington game. Then the next week the O couldn't do the same. All of this take take take took but no give it's toll on the D last year. Like it or not but that was the deal. AU didn't have a leader step up and get the sides back together. Looks like they have a couple this year. One will be the starting QB. HUGE deal. Have not had that since Marshall.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn has never fired a coach mid-season unless I’m wrong (which I think I’m not.)

There is a first time for everything.  One consideration is the early signing period in recruiting.  If Auburn has a coach in mind that is rumored, that could be a catalyst. 

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was a mess for most of the season after LSU. No leadership from anyone, including the coaches. No one on offense knew who was doing what. Fly by the seat of their pants. The D players could see this. 

Crazy to see how little the offense was actually doing even when we were scoring points and winning. They didn't even average 300 total yards against Arkansas and Southern Miss. Partially because the defense kept giving them a short field. 

Arkansas

Southern Miss

So yeah, when the offense performed like this in the first half against MSU- compounded by the fact that MSU was falsely awarded a touchdown after a heroic goal line stand that an already-tired defense only had to make because Ryan Davis fumbled a punt that they had forced after a 4+ minute MSU possession that only netted 28 yards- I imagine the defense had probably gotten tired of putting up with that crap. And anybody who says they don't understand that has either never played sports or is just talking nonsense to serve an agenda. 

Edit: @I_M4_AU beat me to the Arky/So Miss part

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I definitely said it was the third loss that knocked us out. Your reading comprehension skills need finetuning.

Look at our schedule, if we happened to only lose to Oregon and to LSU( similar to 2017,) we’d definitely be in the CFP. It would include wins v A&M, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. 

The Oregon game may do confidence damage (that can still be built back up), but there is plenty of season left to recover. It would be a non conference loss, an early loss, and hopefully a competitive loss against a top 25 team. 

No my reading skills are just fine. Did I miss AU's appearance in the playoff's in 2017?  That 3rd loss knocked us out.  You still have that little SECCG to play. Why the Oregon game is so critical.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Terry Bowden was told mid-season that he was not going to be back. Pretty much fired mid-season.

Archived