What is the most pivotal game this season?

Auburnfan91

Most Pivitol game?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Most Pivitol Game This Season

• Oregon
    • @ Texas A&M
    • Miss St.
    • @ Florida
    • @ Arkansas
    • @ LSU
    • UGA
    • Bama

22 hours ago, Crouching Tiger said:

My own opinion is that we need to win the first four games. After that, I will have an opinion of what the next "pivotal game" will be.

That's been my stance the last 2-3 years.  "Wake me after the LSU game".

Auburn needs to look like a top tier SEC team even against Tulane & Kent.  The offense performs like they did against Southern Miss last year and Mercer 2 years ago and the season will probably not be pretty.  Yes, I still have confidence in the D.  I believe they'll come to play ball; at least until the wagon wheels fall off the other side of the ball (which, of course, I hope WON'T happen).

I suppose my stance is still, "wake me after the LSU game"...

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn needs to look like a top tier SEC team even against Tulane & Kent.  The offense performs like they did against Southern Miss last year and Mercer 2 years ago and the season will probably not be pretty.

This is an important point and it also goes back to the falling dominoes of a football season. We should have had our defensive reserves on against those teams early in the 3rd quarter. Instead, they had to grind it out and were already feeling the effects of the season after a month. Midseason results weren't necessarily predictable, but they were understandable. And, of course, the offense was still trying to figure out what it actually wanted to be. Year six of Gus's tenure and he's still completely lost going into October. Unreal. 

Sorry. This. What you said. 100%. 

The key word here is pivotal! If we lose against O we still have a few games to make adjustments, especially because we are starting the season with two freshman qbs. When we get to the AnM game we should have some things ironed out from the early loss, and then if we lose to AnM at this point it will be a “pivotal moment “ for the remainder of the season in a negative sense! If we win at this point (AnM), and are undefeated, it will be a pivotal moment in our momentum for the remainder of the season! I don’t think the first game will be pivotal either way though, win or lose, especially if you add the qualifier of “most” pivotal game.

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

The key word here is pivotal! If we lose against O we still have a few games to make adjustments, especially because we are starting the season with two freshman qbs. When we get to the AnM game we should have some things ironed out from the early loss, and then if we lose to AnM at this point it will be a “pivotal moment “ for the remainder of the season in a negative sense! If we win at this point (AnM), and are undefeated, it will be a pivotal moment in our momentum for the remainder of the season! I don’t think the first game will be pivotal either way though, win or lose, especially if you add the qualifier of “most” pivotal game.

Fine. You guys win. 

I'm still gonna freak out and make emotional predictions for the rest of the season and even the future of the program based on the Oregon game, though. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fine. You guys win. 

I'm still gonna freak out and make emotional predictions for the rest of the season and even the future of the program based on the Oregon game, though. 

Come on in Loof the water is fine and relaxing over here! 😝 

People saying the Oregon game isn’t as pivotal but watch the reaction if we lose that game lol

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

People saying the Oregon game isn’t as pivotal but watch the reaction if we lose that game lol

I think it is absolutely pivotal, just not the most pivotal.

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree about the fans reaction, but I’m not sure it’s “most” pivotal for the team or the season!

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'm surprised that anything that ever happened in a Houston v San Antonio matchup would resonate with you, but I have to admit that whoever that Houston point guard has some decent moves. Looks like a poor man's Jared Harper?

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm surprised that anything that ever happened in a Houston v San Antonio matchup would resonate with you, but I have to admit that whoever that Houston point guard has some decent moves. Looks like a poor man's Jared Harper?

Robinson just got abused that series.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Pivots are limitless TBQH

Image result for double pivot gif

I bet the brotha didn't know MJ was teaching him how to dance.

I pick A&M. Losing the conference game against the team most likely to push us to 4th in the West would be  no bueno.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:36 PM, Tiger said:

Also, he's calling the O again.

but but but he looked amazing in the Purdue game. You mean we shouldnt expect to score 60 every game? 

/sarcasm

On 7/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Barnacle said:

There's no "I" in team!"

There was a kid on my Rec league team growing up in Oneonta. When he was told "there is no I in team" his response was. Always "no, there isn't. But there sure is a M&E in there."  Havent thought about that in years

45 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There was a kid on my Rec league team growing up in Oneonta. When he was told "there is no I in team" his response was. Always "no, there isn't. But there sure is a M&E in there."  Havent thought about that in years

Lol I've heard someone say there may not be an I in team but there is in "win".. Clever response for trying to be a Richard though I gotta admit 

On 7/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, DAG said:

I like your responses!

I should say that I agree in this case that the conference game is more critical than any non-conference match just for the fact it effects us going to the championship. I think my standpoint is this...how logical does it look for us to get to the SEC championship game if we can't beat Oregon? Nevertheless, personally besides 3 games on our schedule, I think it is imperative we win the others. It’s honestly hard to choose between Oregon and Texas A&M because they are both NEEDED victories. 

It doesn't look logical. But it is sports. How logical would it of been to state the St Louis Blues were gonna win the Stanley Cup in January?

I know it doesn't work as well in college football, but in most sports if you take care of your group/division/conference you are gonna get your shot.

Course I grew up playing in a heavy tournament based sport where wins/losses had to be forgotten about within hours cause if you were not playing on Sunday none of it mattered.

31 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

It doesn't look logical. But it is sports. How logical would it of been to state the St Louis Blues were gonna win the Stanley Cup in January?

I know it doesn't work as well in college football, but in most sports if you take care of your group/division/conference you are gonna get your shot.

Course I grew up playing in a heavy tournament based sport where wins/losses had to be forgotten about within hours cause if you were not playing on Sunday none of it mattered.

Well first of all that is not even a fair comparison, as professional sports and particularly college football is not even close to being the same for the postseason. For example, in the NFL, you legitimately could be .500 and make the playoffs, if things go your way. If you get on a hot streak, you can be lucky enough to advance far in the postseason. You will never see a .500 team or a team one game over .500 in the college football playoffs. Furthermore, just because you win your conference, does not mean you are going to get in the playoffs. Look at tOSU and a couple of the Pac 12 teams of the past. Now, we are lucky enough to be in the SEC and get the benefit of a doubt, but there has not been a 2 LOSS team in the playoffs. So, if we lost to Oregon, we would necessarily have to go undefeated in conference play. Could it happen? Yes, but it would be very slim pickings. Alabama has won 5 National Championships, and they have only been undefeated in conference play one time in that run. We don't have Alabama talent, so we don't need to be losing games that we SHOULD be capable of winning. 

Heck, College football is so unique, you don't even have to win your division and still make the championship somehow. In professional sports, the team who wins the division is going to the playoffs, regardless. I can't think of a time where the team who finished behind the team who ultimately won the division, leapfrogged over them.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well first of all that is not even a fair comparison, as professional sports and particularly college football is not even close to being the same for the postseason. For example, in the NFL, you legitimately could be .500 and make the playoffs, if things go your way. If you get on a hot streak, you can be lucky enough to advance far in the postseason. You will never see a .500 team or a team one game over .500 in the college football playoffs. Furthermore, just because you win your conference, does not mean you are going to get in the playoffs. Look at tOSU and a couple of the Pac 12 teams of the past. Now, we are lucky enough to be in the SEC and get the benefit of a doubt, but there has not been a 2 LOSS team in the playoffs. So, if we lost to Oregon, we would necessarily have to go undefeated in conference play. Could it happen? Yes, but it would be very slim pickings. Alabama has won 5 National Championships, and they have only been undefeated one time in that run. We don't have Alabama talent, so we don't need to be losing games that we SHOULD be capable of winning. 

Agreed, why I said it doesn't work as well in college football. Unless I misunderstood, you were asking how is it logical to think Auburn could win the SEC after losing to Oregon or even further. Mean there was a point that Auburn baseball was done based on logic, or our basketball team was done based on logic.

The problem with college football is that the conference is your group play/playoffs tied into one.

Yes, never lose games you should win! I am on board with that. You have to have group play/playoff mentality from day one.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Heck, College football is so unique, you don't even have to win your division and still make the championship somehow. In professional sports, the team who wins the division is going to the playoffs, regardless. I can't think of a time where the team who finished behind the team who ultimately won the division, leapfrogged over them.

And I hate that crap. I think you should have to win your conference to be in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Agreed, why I said it doesn't work as well in college football. Unless I misunderstood, you were asking how is it logical to think Auburn could win the SEC after losing to Oregon or even further. Mean there was a point that Auburn baseball was done based on logic, or our basketball team was done based on logic.

The problem with college football is that the conference is your group play/playoffs tied into one.

Yes, never lose games you should win! I am on board with that. You have to have group play/playoff mentality from day one.

Again, You can legitimately make the NCAA tournament if you get hot in your conference tournament. There are unranked teams making the NCAA tournament. That is not happening in college football. You have very small margin of error to make the college football playoffs. And unless, you are Bama or tOSU, someone with a proven track record, you rarely get that second chance once you make that small margin of error. So, yes, if we lose to Oregon, we could still make the playoffs, but it is a very small chance of that happening, based on what we have in store for us. If it does happen, this is great. But don't act like if we lose to Oregon, you are going to be saying "Don't worry guys we can still make the playoffs." 

To be honest with you, you probably have a better argument of us beating Oregon and losing 1 conference game and still making the playoffs. That actually more logical than anything else. Most pundits don't expect teams to go unscathed in the SEC. 

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

To be honest with you, you probably have a better argument of us beating Oregon and losing 1 conference game and still making the playoffs. That actually more logical than anything else. Most pundits don't expect teams to go unscathed in the SEC. 

I know that's a true statement but it must also be music to Gus's ears. The years we have Georgia and Alabama at home should be the years we can contend.  Instead 4 losses could be a good season. 

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

And I hate that crap. I think you should have to win your conference to be in the playoffs.

Or in certain cases at least be the runner up in the championship game but not the division. Still frustrates me because we were set up perfectly for a championship run. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:38 AM, KolchakAU85 said:

I think the most pivotal game of the year is LSU, because:

1. We haven't beaten them in Baton Rouge since Abraham Lincoln was president.

2. We had them beat the last 2 years, and Gus let them off the hook.

Most years i would totally agree. But this season its all but November by the time we play LSU.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:57 AM, AUsince72 said:

That's been my stance the last 2-3 years.  "Wake me after the LSU game".

Auburn needs to look like a top tier SEC team even against Tulane & Kent.  The offense performs like they did against Southern Miss last year and Mercer 2 years ago and the season will probably not be pretty.  Yes, I still have confidence in the D.  I believe they'll come to play ball; at least until the wagon wheels fall off the other side of the ball (which, of course, I hope WON'T happen).

I suppose my stance is still, "wake me after the LSU game"...

The 2017 Mercer game and the 2018 Southern Miss game had very little in common besides the final score. 2017 Mercer we had over 500 yards and gave up less than 250. 2018 vs Southern Miss we had less than 350 yards and gave up 260. Other than score there is very little comparison. We moved the ball with ease vs Mercer. Like up and down the field with ease. We just had 5 turnovers. Last season vs Southern Miss we could barely move the ball at all.

And like i said to Kolchak, this season its all but November by the time LSU rolls around. If you wanna be woke after LSU, you will miss all but the last month of the season. 

Archived