Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Then offsetting penalties?

Illegal formation is a dead ball foul. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

What the hell Dee Ford 

We all were thinking it. That is something Auburn would do in the clutch to screw up a game. SMH.

• Like 1

I haven't read thru all 80 pages in this thread so if it has been pointed out already forgive me. Ex Auburn player Dee Ford may very well have cost KC the game. He was offsides on Brady's 3rd interception late in the game. I hate that for him.

By Aaron Lesher  

Jarrett Stidham, QB
School: Auburn | Conference: SEC
College Experience: RS Junior | Age: 22
Height / Weight: 6-3 / 215lbs
Projected Draft Status: 3rd-4th round
NFL Comparison: Derek Carr

Player Overview

Jarrett Stidham has had a roller coaster collegiate career, to say the least. He was the number one dual-threat quarterback coming out of high school in Texas. Stidham committed to Baylor where he played under then-rockstar head coach Art Briles. As a true freshman, he played in 10 games, throwing for 12 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and 1,265 yards with a 69% completion percentage and 11.6 Y/A. In short, he looked liked an upcoming star.

After the Baylor scandal that pretty much nuked their football program, Stidham transferred to JUCO for a year. He then transferred to Auburn to restart his college career. In 2017, he was named second team All-SEC and SEC Newcomer of the Year. Stidham was a projected first-round pick by some, but he decided to return to Auburn for his redshirt junior season. 2018 was a hugely disappointing season for Auburn as a team. Stidham’s stats declined, but didn’t crater. Auburn lacked 1) talented weapons on offense and 2) offensive adaptability; many blamed head coach Gus Malzahn for their woes. 

Stidham is a talented player with an impressive pedigree, but has failed to capture the attention of the draft community largely due to issues out of his control

Strengths

• Throws a catchable ball with nice touch and anticipation; plenty of zip, but doesn’t possess a cannon
  • Good accuracy to place the ball where he wants on a receiver or lead him between zones; above-average deep ball accuracy
  • Plus athleticism as a quarterback; multi-sport athlete (basketball, track); can do damage with his legs
  • Quality size and build, although not prototypical
  • Recognized as a leader by coaches, teammates, named team captain and made decision to play in final bowl game
  • Weaknesses

• Often panics when initial look isn’t there; can lead to negative plays or careless turnovers
  • Happy feet in the pocket causes poor accuracy and delivery mechanics — needs to slow his footwork down and maintain a stable platform
  • A lot of the negative traits scouts attribute to Stidham can be explained, in part, by the predictability of Auburn’s offense. Head coach Gus Malzahn is a huge fan of receiver screens and shot plays, which meant when the initial look was covered, the quarterback often had nowhere to go with the ball. This lead to Stidham either taking a negative play or forcing throws, shoddy pocket presence and a sped-up internal clock.

There were bright spots, though, and Stidham showed he could continually move the ball despite the offense’s limitations. In his final college game, Stidham & Co. throttled Purdue 63-14 in the Music City Bowl, and he threw for 373 yards and five touchdowns. 

For all the flak that Gruden gets, I think he is a better passing game coordinator than Malzahn and has answers built into his offense. He can also work with Stidham’s athletic ability to move him outside the pocket. He’s exhibited good leadership qualities in two years at Auburn to lead a group of men. At worst I see Stidham sticking around as a backup, and his ceiling is a mid-level starter in the NFL.
Edited by GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, please don't send that poor child to DC. Dan Snyder is the wooooooooooorst., 

For specifically himself as a QB Worse than Gus though? lol.  I would take my chances with Jay Gruden. Kirk Cousins def looked a lot better with him than on the Vikings. Even though he had more weapons on the vikings. 

• Like 1

For all the flak that Gruden gets, I think he is a better passing game coordinator than Malzahn and has answers built into his offense

Understatement of the century? 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

For specifically himself as a QB Worse than Gus though? lol.  I would take my chances with Jay Gruden. Kirk Cousins def looked a lot better with him than on the Vikings. Even though he had more weapons on the vikings. 

Excellent point. Gruden knows what he's doing. I just hate Snyder and think that he's made the Redskins a garbage organization. But you're right, Gruden and the offense aren't a bad spot to be in from strictly a football perspective. 

• Haha 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

Excellent point. Gruden knows what he's doing. I just hate Snyder and think that he's made the Redskins a garbage organization. But you're right, Gruden and the offense aren't a bad spot to be in from strictly a football perspective. 

O absolutely. Snyder is a garbage owner for sure. No argument from me. But for a QB specifically there is a lot places worse that Stiddy could end up. 

• Like 1

No mental error by Ford, Chiefs go to the Super Bowl and the DC probably doesn’t get fired. 

Translation: Ford kilt Bob Sutton.

Read the analysis of JS above.....the :"strengths" …..that's not the guy I saw this year.....maybe there are two of them out there?   

Hope he does well but JMO, the "weaknesses" outweigh the strengths …..especially the happy feet....but the summary of hanging around as a back-up could be accurate and even back-ups make serious money. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

No mental error by Ford, Chiefs go to the Super Bowl and the DC probably doesn’t get fired. 

Translation: Ford kilt Bob Sutton.

Nah...he was gone....Chiefs were last in the league in defense.....Sutton only had a job until KC's season was over.  

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

even back-ups make serious money

I would give anything to be an NFL backup QB for 10 years. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would give anything to be an NFL backup QB for 10 years. 

Even 5 years...CAP is about vested for the NFL now and how many downs has he played?   But drawing the salary and earning that future nest egg....👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Even 5 years...CAP is about vested for the NFL now and how many downs has he played?   But drawing the salary and earning that future nest egg....👍

He'll be able to send his kids to college AND remember their names/walk a daughter down the aisle when he's 60. 

• Haha 1

Edited by GwillMac6

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Now I am getting ticked off.  Not at my boy, just the waste of a year we had with him.  Throwing guys open, hitting tight windows, etc. I guess all those things we were saying about the struggles were more the coaching choices than the player.  We suspected that to some degree but probably not respecting Stidham ability enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jarrett Stidham as "Practice Player of the Week". 

And every single Auburn fan shrugs and says, "Well, yeah."

I think a lot of NFL execs are probaly even more perplexed and frustrated at how Gus could make Stiddy a guy with all the tools regress so badly in just 1 offseason. They already hated his offense when it comes to how the players in it are prepared for the NFL now this week is telling them the tape of stidham from 2018 is a lie and he is still the same guy who analysts and scouts projected as a potential first round pick going in to this season. #gusgonnagus

• Like 2