Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Sorry, if you look at my image, no way can I wear ANY Patriots shirt, but I will pull for Stidham as an Auburn alum.

If he ends up being the heir to Brady, I will surely be ticked for a long time (not bc of Stidham) but bc of Gus not using him they way he is skilled in his QB strengths. If it wasn't for his hot games against Bama and GA in his first year, we would have had to avg years under Gus and his future NFL QB Stidham. 

People want to talk about ducking and running, but don't want to mention his stellar play against GA and Bama in 17'. He was phenomenal in those games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Sorry, if you look at my image, no way can I wear ANY Patriots shirt, but I will pull for Stidham as an Auburn alum.

After the SB that shall not be discussed, I have trouble wearing any Patriots gear outside the house anymore. But I used to comfortably support my home town NFC team and my wife's childhood AFC team. And one time we were returning from Boston to ATL and I was wearing a Patriots shirt. We came up the big escalator to baggage claim at Hartsfield-Jackson and there was the crowd of people that's always there welcoming arrivals. I hear some guy yell "Patriots suck!" and see a dude standing there wearing a Steelers shirt. And then I realized he was yelling at me, and I asked my wife, "So is this what it's always like?" She just smiled. 

If he ends up being the heir to Brady, I will surely be ticked for a long time (not bc of Stidham) but bc of Gus not using him they way he is skilled in his QB strengths. If it wasn't for his hot games against Bama and GA in his first year, we would have had to avg years under Gus and his future NFL QB Stidham. 

Yup. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

After the SB that shall not be discussed, I have trouble wearing any Patriots gear outside the house anymore. But I used to comfortably support my home town NFC team and my wife's childhood AFC team. And one time we were returning from Boston to ATL and I was wearing a Patriots shirt. We came up the big escalator to baggage claim at Hartsfield-Jackson and there was the crowd of people that's always there welcoming arrivals. I hear some guy yell "Patriots suck!" and see a dude standing there wearing a Steelers shirt. And then I realized he was yelling at me, and I asked my wife, "So is this what it's always like?" She just smiled. 

Yup. 

I will admit that the Patriots have our number over the last 10 years where it counts...getting to the SB and winning it. 

But growing up in PA, I appreciate the fact that the Steelers have been always successful for the last 20 years, not even counting the 4 SBs they won in the 70s. It drives my wife crazy when we travel outside of the US. I always wear my Steelers hat or my AU hat, but in the last few years, I have gotten a 'GO Steelers' from an italian worker in Venice, Italy and an airport worker at Budapest, Hungary(he even had the Steelers app on his iphone). She just shakes her head...love it!!

Sorry for digressing...so I hope Stidham eventually becomes the 2nd Auburn QB that becomes a starter NFL QB after Cam. I just scratch my head what i wished had happened with Newton at Auburn, that Stidham never got us to...even a chance at the NC....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I will admit that the Patriots have our number over the last 10 years where it counts...getting to the SB and winning it. 

But growing up in PA, I appreciate the fact that the Steelers have been always successful for the last 20 years, not even counting the 4 SBs they won in the 70s. It drives my wife crazy when we travel outside of the US. I always wear my Steelers hat or my AU hat, but in the last few years, I have gotten a 'GO Steelers' from an italian worker in Venice, Italy and an airport worker at Budapest, Hungary(he even had the Steelers app on his iphone). She just shakes her head...love it!!

Sorry for digressing...so I hope Stidham eventually becomes the 2nd Auburn QB that becomes a starter NFL QB after Cam. I just scratch my head what i wished had happened with Newton at Auburn, that Stidham never got us to...even a chance at the NC....

What I love about the Steelers is how long the coaches stay there. Undeniable culture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Sorry, if you look at my image, no way can I wear ANY Patriots shirt  

I like 3 teams in the nfl. The Cowboys, Raiders, and the Patriots. I like the Patriots mainly because they share an area with the Celtics and Sox, and also because of the greatest QB in NFL history, Brady. 

Much of Stidham’s lack of more success at AUburn was absolutely the refusal to use his talents and tailor the offense to it’s strengths. The power read-option should’ve been put to bed after Marshall graduated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I like 3 teams in the nfl. The Cowboys, Raiders, and the Patriots.

1 out of 3 ain't bad. 2 of them suck. :tease:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

I don't feel like he got a lot of oppotunities early in his career, but he was abysmal this preseason when he had the chance to shine. 

21 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don't feel like he got a lot of oppotunities early in his career, but he was abysmal this preseason when he had the chance to shine. 

I honestly think he did well to play in the NFL as long as he did. He and Barber were good, solid backs but neither screamed NFL to me watching them play.

Edited by CR
  • Like 1

NFL teams placed nine former Auburn players on waivers on Saturday as they reduced their preseason rosters to reach the regular-season limit, including former Canadian Football League all-star Duke Williams.

NFL teams parted ways with more than 1,100 players on Friday and Saturday as they cut their rosters from 90 to 53.

The Auburn alumni waived on Saturday included:

· Linebacker Deshaun Davis by the Cincinnati Bengals. The former Vigor High School standout joined the Bengals in the sixth round of the NFL Draft on April 27.

· Wide receiver Ryan Davis by the New England Patriots. Davis was trying to stick with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent.

· Cornerback John Franklin III by the Chicago Bears. Franklin, who spent a season of his college career as a quarterback at Auburn, was at his second training camp with Chicago. He was a member of the Bears' practice squad for part of the 2018 season.

· Defensive end Jeff Holland by the Buffalo Bills. After playing three games for the Denver Broncos as an undrafted rookie last season, Holland was waived three times in August. The first two times, he was claimed before hitting the open market, going from the Broncos to the Arizona Cardinals to the Bills.

· Safety Tray Matthews by the Green Bay Packers. Matthews spent the final four weeks of the 2018 season on the Packers' practice squad. Last year, he went to training camp with the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted rookie and spent two weeks on the Indianapolis Colts' practice squad before joining Green Bay.

· Defensive back Jonathon Mincy by the Bears. A former Canadian Football League standout, Mincy was in his second training camp with Chicago. He spent most of the 2018 season on the Bears' practice squad.

· Defensive tackle Andrew Williams by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Williams was trying to make the Jaguars as an undrafted rookie.

· Linebacker Darrell Williams by the Redskins. Williams originally signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted rookie, but he was released in May. He didn't join the Washington roster until Aug. 11.

· Wide receiver Duke Williams waived by the Bills. In his second season with the Edmonton Eskimos, Williams led the CFL in receiving yards in 2018, earning all-league recognition and a second opportunity in an NFL training camp. The Los Angeles Rams released Williams at the end of their 2016 training camp. During the 2019 preseason, Williams caught nine passes for 71 yards in three games and had a touchdown reception in each of the final two games.

The Saturday personnel moves followed those on Friday that included the release of former Auburn running back Cameron Artis-Payne after four seasons with the Carolina Panthers. Another pair of Auburn alumni, cornerback Josh Holsey and defensive tackle Gabe Wright, were waived by the Oakland Raiders on Friday.

The players who lost their roster spots over the past two days aren't necessarily finished with the NFL. The players on waivers can be claimed by any team before 11 a.m. CDT Sunday, and Artis-Payne is a free agent able to sign with any team.

On Sunday afternoon, NFL teams can begin signing players for their practice squads. Each team is allowed to have 10 players who can practice but not play in games.

https://es.pn/2Lj48c4

Jarrett Stidham has best preseason for rookie QB under Bill Belichick

Jarrett Stidham turned in a promising preseason with four touchdown passes. Photo by Kathryn Riley/Getty Images

• reiss_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

ADVERTISEMENT

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Why did the Browns cut Greg Robinson?

Posted Sep 01, 2019

The Sunday afternoon transaction report from the NFL contained a stunning item: The Cleveland Browns terminated Greg Robinson.

Why would the Browns release their starting left offensive tackle one week before the kickoff of their 2019 season?

To re-sign him so he’ll be in the lineup against the Tennessee Titans on Sept. 8, cleveland.com reported.

Huh?

It goes something like this: Like all NFL teams, Cleveland had to reduce its 90-player preseason roster to the regular-season limit of 53 by 3 p.m. CDT Saturday.

Between the end of the final preseason game on Thursday night and the roster deadline, the Browns waived 30 players, released four, put four on reserve lists and traded away one while adding two in trades for a net loss of the necessary 37 players.

But on Sunday morning, the Browns were awarded via waiver claims three of the hundreds of players that had been let go around the league on Saturday. That meant Cleveland was required to get three players off its roster by 3 p.m. Sunday.

The Browns did so by waiving two players and terminating Robinson.ke Willi

So Cleveland axed a starting tackle for a player claimed off the waiver wire?

Yes, but that’s not all there is to it.

Here’s a possible explanation: Drew Forbes, an offensive tackle who was the Browns’ sixth-round draft pick this year, suffered a knee injury in Cleveland’s preseason finale. The injury is not expected to keep him out for the entire season, though.

NFL teams can bring back two players from injured reserve halfway or later in the season, but those players must be on the 53-player active roster for the opening of Week 1 before going on IR. Cleveland wants to put Forbes on injured reserve so he won’t fill a roster spot while he can’t play, but it wants to be able to bring him back when he can play.

NFL Network reported the Browns will put Forbes on injured reserve when the Week 1 deadline passes and re-sign the cooperative Robinson to fill the vacant roster spot -- and hole in the offensive line.

Until that happens, though, the former Auburn standout is a free agent who can be signed by any team.

• Like 3
  • Love 1