Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Panthers fans taking every chance they can get to disparage Cam. A guy that's done so much for them and now that he's been hurt and struggling because of it they forget all that. Kyle Allen is playing really good. I would like to see how he plays next game. But this doesn't mean that Cam is out of a job. Get him back to 100% and we will see how he plays.

• Like 2

Have to wonder if we’ve seen the last of Cam in the NFL. Allen got it done today. Dude took a lot of hits behind some sketchy OL. I was hoping he might develop into a better passer but his footwork never improved enough to become an elite passer.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, AUBwins said:

I hope he makes them all,  including a game winner on Sunday in Minnesota. 

He missed his only attempt (48 yarder). 

• Angry 1

I have ended my three year boycott of the NFL.  I will watch some games if Auburn guys are playing. 

It doesn't get much publicity but Braden Smith had a great game for the Colts.  Way to go Braden!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

I have ended my three year boycott of the NFL.  I will watch some games if Auburn guys are playing. 

It doesn't get much publicity but Braden Smith had a great game for the Colts.  Way to go Braden!!

definitely had a great game. He owned #98 for the Falcons. 

Love seeing Jermaine Whitehead out there starting and making plays even though he didn't mention Auburn as his school when he did his intro.😕

• Sad 1

JS had a rough intro to the game.....and shows why coaches are sometime reluctant to send in a sub QB ...even when a game looks like it is under control.   A completion, a sack and a pick 6 and his day was done.   Too bad 'cause the #2 QB does not get many chances in the NFL. 

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

That Indy OL overall is starting to get a lot of love. A bammer buddy of mine who I talk NFL with a lot yesterday is thinking Indy makes it to the AFC title game, and it will be mostly because of that group. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

goes to show us how bad their running game has been through the years since Sims. When Stafford got there, they always wanted to sling it, and just abandoned the run. With this new coach, he has made it a priority to run the ball more. 

Heading into the season, questions surrounding Cam Newton centered around offseason shoulder surgery and whether or not he'd be able to throw the football at a prolific level again. Well, the Panthers quarterback hasn't been able to get in a rhythm with his new throwing motion as the injury bug has taken another bite out of the former NFL MVP. 

In Carolina's third preseason contest earlier this summer, Newton was taken down by Patriots defensive tackle Adam Butler and injured his foot. He limped off the field and never returned. While he status was in question leading up to the opener, Newton was able to play, but he did re-aggravate the injury in Week 2 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Up to that point, Newton's injury was characterized as a mild foot sprain. Now that more specifics are coming in, it looks like it could be worst than that. 

Joe Person of The Athletic was first to report on Tuesday that Newton is dealing with a Lisfranc injury and is out indefinitely. 

This comes after the Panthers quickly ruled out Newton for their Week 4 contest against the Texans in a statement on Monday, while also announcing that Kyle Allen will once again start under center. 

"What Cam needs right now is time and rest for his foot. We want him at 100 percent when he's ready, so there's no exact timetable for his return," head coach Ron Rivera said in the statement. "At this point, we're going to go forward with Kyle (Allen) as our starter." 

A Lisfranc injury is a pretty serious situation for Newton as it could not only result in his season being in jeopardy, but his running ability could be hindered dramatically for the rest of his career if it's severe enough. Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network did report that the plan currently is for Newton to keep rehabbing in hopes of returning and avoiding surgery.  

Through those two games with Carolina this season, Newton completed just 56.2% of his passes for 572 yards, no touchdowns and one interception. The Panthers offense, meanwhile, is left in good hands with starter Kyle Allen, who threw for four touchdowns and 261 yards on a 73.1 completion percentage in their Week 3 win over the Cardinals

Lisfranc Injuries

What Is the Lisfranc Joint?  Diagram of the Lisfranc joint

The Lisfranc joint is the point at which the metatarsal bones (long bones that lead up to the toes) and the tarsal bones (bones in the arch) connect. The Lisfranc ligament is a tough band of tissue that joins two of these bones. This is important for maintaining proper alignment and strength of the joint.

How Do Lisfranc Injuries Occur?

Injuries to the Lisfranc joint most commonly occur in automobile accident victims, military personnel, runners, horseback riders, football players and participants of other contact sports, or something as simple as missing a step on a staircase. Lisfranc injuries occur as a result of direct or indirect forces to the foot. A direct force often involves something heavy falling on the foot. Indirect force commonly involves twisting the foot.

Types of Lisfranc Injuries

There are three types of Lisfranc injuries, which sometimes occur together:

• Sprains. The Lisfranc ligament and other ligaments on the bottom of the midfoot are stronger than those on the top of the midfoot. Therefore, when they are weakened through a sprain (a stretching of the ligament), patients experience instability of the joint in the middle of the foot.
  • Fractures. A break in a bone in the Lisfranc joint can be either an avulsion fracture (a small piece of bone is pulled off) or a break through the bone or bones of the midfoot.
  • Dislocations. The bones of the Lisfranc joint may be forced from their normal positions.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a Lisfranc injury may include:

• Swelling of the foot
  • Pain throughout the midfoot when standing or when pressure is applied
  • Inability to bear weight (in severe injuries)
  • Bruising or blistering on the arch are important signs of a Lisfranc injury. Bruising may also occur on the top of the foot.
  • Abnormal widening of the foot.

Diagnosis

Lisfranc injuries are sometimes mistaken for ankle sprains, making the diagnostic process very important. To arrive at a diagnosis, the foot and ankle surgeon will ask questions about how the injury occurred and will examine the foot to determine the severity of the injury. X-rays and other imaging studies may be necessary to fully evaluate the extent of the injury. The surgeon may also perform an additional examination while the patient is under anesthesia to further evaluate a fracture or weakening of the joint and surrounding bones.

Nonsurgical Treatment

Anyone who has symptoms of a Lisfranc injury should see a foot and ankle surgeon right away. If unable to do so immediately, it is important to stay off the injured foot, keep it elevated (at or slightly above hip level) and apply a bag of ice wrapped in a thin towel to the area every 20 minutes of each waking hour. These steps will help keep the swelling and pain under control.

Treatment by the foot and ankle surgeon may include one or more of the following, depending on the type and severity of the Lisfranc injury:

• Immobilization. Sometimes the foot is placed in a cast to keep it immobile, and crutches are used to avoid putting weight on the injured foot.
  • Oral medications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, help reduce pain and inflammation.
  • Ice and elevation. Swelling is reduced by icing the affected area and keeping the foot elevated, as described above.
  • Physical therapy. After the swelling and pain have subsided, physical therapy may be prescribed.

When Is Surgery Needed?

Certain types of Lisfranc injuries require surgery. The foot and ankle surgeon will determine the type of procedure that is best suited to the individual patient. Some injuries of this type may require emergency surgery.

Complications of Lisfranc Injuries

Complications can and often arise following Lisfranc injuries. A possible early complication following the injury is compartment syndrome, in which pressure builds up within the tissues of the foot, requiring immediate surgery to prevent tissue damage. A buildup of pressure could damage the nerves, blood vessels and muscles in the foot. Arthritis and problems with foot alignment are very likely to develop. In most cases, arthritis develops several months after a Lisfranc injury, requiring additional treatment.

• Sad 1

On 9/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, Auburn Kev said:

I hate to think that Paul Finebaum was right when he said it last week that Cam's career is over.  Well really just hate to hear he is right about anything

Edited by LKEEL75

If he can't run, his value changes dramatically.  If only he had the weapons (and protection) around him when healthy.  This is where the personality and poor outside perception in press conferences will hurt him.  Could hamper him getting on with another team.  I don't see Cam willing to be a backup anywhere, just don't think he would still enjoy the game that way.  Either QB1 or bust. 

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

If he can't run, his value changes dramatically.  If only he had the weapons (and protection) around him when healthy.  This is where the personality and poor outside perception in press conferences will hurt him.  Could hamper him getting on with another team.  I don't see Cam willing to be a backup anywhere, just don't think he would still enjoy the game that way.  Either QB1 or bust. 

I don't think his personality will be a problem. People in the industry know that he's an amazing teammate and leader, and he's never even sniffed trouble away from the field. He even tolerated racist ass Jerry Richardson telling him he can't have tattoos. If he can play, he'll play.

But I agree that if he can't run, then he's going to have a tough time getting a starting gig. And I agree that it's criminal how Carolina has abused him and shortened his career. Even if he comes back from this somehow, they've already shaved 5 years off his career at least. I get that Rivera's a defensive coach but they got the #1 pick in the draft and then invested everything they had in... the other side of the ball. Unreal. I will pull for Cam as long as he's there but I will never pull for the Panthers once's he's gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, steeleagle said:

goes to show us how bad their running game has been through the years since Sims. When Stafford got there, they always wanted to sling it, and just abandoned the run. With this new coach, he has made it a priority to run the ball more. 

The surprise is the GOAT Barry Sanders is in that time span but didn't do it.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The surprise is the GOAT Barry Sanders is in that time span but didn't do it.

That entire franchise should be put in jail because Barry and Megatron both could have played for good teams. 

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, WFE12 said:

Love seeing Jermaine Whitehead out there starting and making plays even though he didn't mention Auburn as his school when he did his intro.😕

That is unfortunate.  He had so much potential but could not stay out of trouble here.  If I recall correctly, he got into a bunch of fights which is what ultimately got him suspended.  

Yikes Patriots signed Cody Kessler....looks like Billy Belly really hated the Pick 6. I hope Jarrett can hang on to the backup spot. This will certainly be a wakeup call for him

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yikes Patriots signed Cody Kessler....looks like Billy Belly really hated the Pick 6. I hope Jarrett can hang on to the backup spot. This will certainly be a wakeup call for him

Actually the reason they brought in Kessler, is that Brady is banged up, and it looks like it is getting harder to recover from his bruises due to age, so they needed another QB to practice with since NE only had 2 on roster and zero on practice squad. It was also reported that it was hard for Stidham to run the first team offense and scout team. 

I don't believe it has anything to do w/ Stidham's mistake. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That is unfortunate.

I doubt it's a big deal. He probably just mentioned his high school as a good number of them do on intros.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I doubt it's a big deal. He probably just mentioned his high school as a good number of them do on intros.

I think he mentioned his home town, Greenwood, MS. Same thing. 

If Auburn wants to be mentioned in those intros, Auburn needs to get more guys starting on NFL rosters.