Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

On 9/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, LKEEL75 said:

I have to think that Paul Finebaum was right when he said it last week that Cam's career is over.  Well really just hate to hear he is right about anything

He doesn't know what he's talking about

Cam tells all. Everything happens for a reason. He will be back to being Cam after he heals up and I can't wait to see him shut everyone up.

Mostly Cam's persona has outshined his performances over the years.   Great individual games and plays that made him worth the price of a ticket.....but usually not surrounded by a good team...….still,  I think he's done as a premier member of the QB club.   :dunno:

49ers’ Dee Ford dealing with injuries: ‘I’ve been through worse’

San Francisco defensive end Dee Ford said he isn’t going to let knee tendinitis and irritation of the quadriceps muscle spoil his first season with the 49ers.

“I had to deal with it last year, too,” Ford said this week. “I didn’t expect it to come back this soon, but it’s nothing I can’t take. I’ve been through worse.”

Such as last season, when the former Auburn standout dealt with those two ailments plus a torn groin, yet still started every game for the Kansas City Chiefs, recorded a career-high 13 sacks and earned a Pro Bowl invitation.

“You’d be surprised what we play through,” Ford said. “We play through a lot of stuff.”

The 49ers obtained Ford in March, sending a second-round selection in the 2020 NFL Draft to Kansas City after the Chiefs had placed their franchise tag on the pass-rusher to keep him off the free-agent market.

San Francisco signed Ford to a five-year, $85.5 million contract and addressed his left-knee condition by having Ford get platelet-rich plasma injections while missing about four weeks of the training camp/preseason period.

Ford played 40 of San Francisco's 69 defensive snaps and registered a strip-sack in a season-opening 31-17 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 8. But his knee problem intensified in the 49ers' second game, and he didn't play in the second half of San Francisco's 41-17 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 15.

Ford missed practice the next week, except for Friday's walkthrough, and played 16 of San Francisco's 53 defensive snaps in a 24-20 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday. He still registered a third-down sack that pushed Pittsburgh out of field-goal range with 58 seconds left in the first half.

With San Francisco and the New York Jets becoming the first teams in the NFL to reach their 2019 bye weeks on Sunday, Ford has some extra recovery time -- even a day more than normal because the 49ers don't return to the field until the Week 5 Monday night game, in which they face the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 7.

As he did with last year's injuries, Ford expects a season of managing his health week-to-week in 2019.

“Kansas City has a great training staff, so we did -- just like now -- we had to do everything we had to do to get to Sunday,” Ford said. “It just is what it is, man.”

After the season, the former St. Clair County High School star will turn to a long-term solution.

“We’ll go further once we get done at the end of the year,” Ford said. “We’ll see what we have to do. We have to do something, of course, but this is nothing that’s going to hinder this year. Like I said, I’ve been through worse, so we’ll put a bag on it.”

Ford traces his current knee problem to a 2013 injury, when he tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee about two weeks before his senior season at Auburn kicked off.

Ford missed the first two games, but he returned to register 10.5 sacks as the Tigers won the SEC championship and reached the BCS national-championship game.

Back surgery for a herniated disk in 2011 caused Ford to take a medical redshirt after his first two seasons at Auburn. He required back surgery again that cost him 10 games during the 2017 NFL season.

What was Kerryon doing? Gotta protect the ball near the goal line. Appeared he was trying to stretch the ball across. 

Ruled a fumble, returned by KC for a TD

Edited by Auburn Kev

Jonathan Jones starting static in the Pats v Mafia game. 

Cleveland Browns defensive back Jermaine Whitehead got his first NFL interception on Sunday. So did Devaroe Lawrence -- thanks to Whitehead.

The interceptions helped the Browns beat the Baltimore Ravens 40-25 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore in an AFC North rivalry game.

Whitehead picked off Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson on a long throw into the end zone with 5:52 left to play to keep Cleveland ahead 33-18.

On Baltimore's next possession, Lawrence intercepted a pass at the Baltimore 39-yard line with 5:21 to play to set up the Browns' final touchdown.

On a blitz, Whitehead hit Jackson's throwing arm, causing the football to flutter into the air. When it came down, Lawrence juggled the wayward pass for a second before the 295-pound defensive tackle pulled in the interception in his fifth NFL game.

Whitehead recorded a career-high eight tackles on Sunday, and he had a hand in a third turnover, too.

Whitehead caused Ravens running back Mark Ingram to fumble on a run up the middle, and the Browns recovered the loose football at their 26-yard line with 6:11 left in the third quarter to protect a 17-10 lead.

“It was great to be able to create turnovers because I challenged myself this week,” Whitehead said. “Felt like I left some plays out there last week (in a 20-13 loss to the Los Angeles Rams). Left some plays out there today that I’ve got to correct, but challenged myself to be a football player and not worry about what y’all got to say and continue to do my job.”

Lawrence brought down Ravens Ingram for a 3-yard loss on a fourth-quarter run for his only tackle in the game.

The football that Lawrence intercepted is going to his daughter, Maleya Alexis, who was born on Tuesday.

Whitehead started as a fifth defensive back and Lawrence came off the bench in Sunday's game.

Whitehead and Lawrence were among the 14 former Auburn players who got on the field on the fourth Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

One other former Auburn player was at the Browns-Ravens game:

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns.

In the other Sunday games:

Tennessee Titans 24, Atlanta Falcons 10

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates played but did not record any stats. Bates missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday because of an ankle injury.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps on three punts, two field-goal attempts and an extra point kick.

New England Patriots 16, Buffalo Bills 10

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart was designated as inactive.

· Jonathan Jones started at defensive back for the Patriots. Jones made five tackles. On the second snap of the fourth quarter, Jones made helmet-to-helmet contact with Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen on a tackle. Jones received an unnecessary-roughness penalty on the play (which was offset by offensive holding against the Bills) while Allen left the game and did not return.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham did not play.

Kansas City Chiefs 34  Detroit Lions 30

· Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) started at running back for the Lions. Johnson ran for 125 yards on 26 carries and caught two passes for 32 yards. Johnson’s first 100-yard game of 2019 was the third of his career. Johnson played a central part in an odd play with the score tied 13-13 in the third quarter. Johnson plowed into the line on a first-and-goal snap at the Kansas City 1-yard line, but he was stopped short. Chiefs cornerback Baushad Breeland then ran up to the pile of players at the goal line, pulled out the football and ran it 100 yards down the field for a Kansas City touchdown. The officials ruled that Johnson had fumbled, and the touchdown stood. “I mean, I lost it,” Johnson said. “I just thought I was down. He said I wasn’t. It is what it is.”

Carolina Panthers 16, Houston Texans 10

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. Blackson made two tackles.

· Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was designated as inactive. Newton missed his second straight game because of a foot injury.

Oakland Raiders 31, Indianapolis Colts 24

· Raiders place-kicker Daniel Carlson connected from 26 yards out on his only field-goal attempt and made all four of his extra-point kicks.

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts.

Los Angeles Chargers 30, Miami Dolphins 10

· Dolphins fullback Chandler Cox played but did not record any stats.

New York Giants 24, Washington Redskins 3

· Redskins outside linebacker Cassanova McKinzy (Woodlawn) was designated as inactive. McKinzy missed last week's game with a hip injury.

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) was designated as inactive.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught two passes for 13 yards.

Seattle Seahawks 27, Arizona Cardinals 10

· Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe was designated as inactive. Thorpe missed his third straight game because of a hamstring injury.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 55, Los Angeles Rams 40

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. Barber ran for 19 yards and a touchdown on nine carries. He scored the game's first touchdown on a 3-yard run with 10:53 left in the first quarter.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made seven tackles, including two behind the line of scrimmage, for the Tampa Bay defense, and he added another tackle on special teams.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean was designated as inactive. Dean missed his second straight game after not practicing last week because of an ankle injury.

Jacksonville Jaguars 26, Denver Broncos 24

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell was designated as inactive.

The fourth week of the season started with the Philadelphia Eagles' 34-27 victory over the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night.

The fourth week of the NFL's 2019 season concludes on Monday when the Cincinnati Bengals visit the Pittsburgh Steelers at 7:15 p.m. CDT. ESPN will televise the game.

Linebacker Josh Bynes returns to NFL

Updated 10:38 AM; Today 10:30 AM

Josh Bynes is back where he started in the NFL. The Baltimore Ravens announced on Wednesday that they had signed the former Auburn standout.

Bynes played with the Ravens in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons and became an NFL champion when Baltimore beat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 in Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3, 2013. Bynes rejoins six teammates from the championship squad with the 2019 Ravens.

“Everybody probably knows Josh,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said in announcing the signing at his Wednesday press conference. “Was here in the past and has been around since then and played very good football throughout his career. He gives us an inside backer who knows how to fit schemes. Very physical player, a tackle-to-tackle player. Also will help us on special teams. A leader, so we’re very excited about that.”

Despite starting 11 games at middle linebacker for the Arizona Cardinals last season, Bynes didn’t get an offseason NFL opportunity after being released in March. The Ravens had an opening on their roster after waiving outside linebacker Tim Williams, a former Alabama standout, on Tuesday.

On Sunday, the Ravens gave up 535 yards -- the fourth-most in team history -- in a 40-25 loss to the Cleveland Browns.

Baltimore signed another inside linebacker, L.J. Fort, on Monday after putting rookie inside linebacker Ataro Olako on injured reserve.

The Ravens lost four-time Pro Bowl inside linebacker C.J. Mosley to the New York Jets in free agency in the offseason. In his fourth NFL season, Patrick Onwuasor has assumed Mosley’s role, and Baltimore’s other inside linebackers, Kenny Young and Chris Board, are second-year players.

Bynes led Auburn's 2010 undefeated BCS national-championship team in tackles. But NFL teams passed on him in the 2011 draft, and he wound up in training camp with the Ravens. Baltimore cut Bynes twice that year, but he spent most of the campaign on the Ravens' practice squad and made it into one game after a call-up to the active roster.

In training camp for the 2012 season, Bynes suffered cracked vertebrae. The Ravens released him, but they brought him back when he had recovered. Bynes played in 10 games that season, starting the final three regular-season contests with Baltimore star Ray Lewis sidelined by an injury.

When Lewis returned for the playoffs, Bynes still played in all four postseason games, including the Super Bowl victory, in which he made the contest's final tackle.

When Lewis retired after the 2012 season, the Ravens, instead of going back to Bynes, signed Daryl Smith from the Jacksonville Jaguars to take his place in the starting lineup.

In 2014, the Ravens' vacant inside-linebacker spot beside Smith went to Mosley, Baltimore's first-round draft choice from Alabama. Baltimore waived Bynes on Sept. 2, 2014, but it re-signed him for the practice squad two days later.

Bynes joined the Detroit Lions when he was signed off the Ravens' practice squad on Sept. 23, 2014.

In the 2015 season, Bynes stepped in to start 11 games for the Lions after weakside linebacker DeAndre Levy went down with an injury. Bynes responded by finishing second on the team with 82 tackles.

In 2016, Bynes was put on injured reserve on Sept. 4 because of a knee problem sustained during the preseason. Six days later, the Lions released Bynes with an injury settlement.

Bynes rejoined Detroit after the Lions traded linebacker Kyle Van Noy to the New England Patriots on Oct. 25, 2016. Bynes started eight of the nine games he played in, but Detroit did not re-sign him for the 2017 season.

It wasn't until Aug. 5, 2017, with one preseason game already in the books, that the Cardinals picked up Bynes. He played mainly on special teams while making one start in his first season in Arizona.

Bynes signed a three-year, $5.575 million contract with the Cardinals on March 14, 2018, and new coach Steve Wilks installed him as Arizona’s starting middle linebacker.

Bynes made 75 tackles, including two sacks, in 11 games in 2018, when he scored his first NFL touchdown on a 23-yard fumble return in 28-18 victory over the 49ers on Oct. 7. He missed the final five games of the season because of a thumb injury.

Wilks was fired after one season, and with the Cardinals planning changes in their defensive scheme for 2019, Arizona released Bynes on March 5.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Two players with Alabama football roots re-entered the NFL on Tuesday by joining AFC West practices squads. Former Auburn defensive end Jeff Holland signed with the Los Angeles Chargers, and former Pelham High School defensive lineman Braxton Hoyett signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Each NFL team can have a 10-player practice squad. The members practice with the team, but they cannot play in games.

The Chargers are Holland's fourth NFL team of 2019.

Holland spent most of the 2018 season on the Denver Broncos' practice squad, but he played in the final three games of the campaign. Holland made six tackles while getting on the field for 43 defensive snaps and nine special-teams plays.

Denver waived Holland on Aug. 12 after two preseason games in 2019. Claimed by the Arizona Cardinals off the waiver wire, Holland played in two more preseason games before being waived on Aug. 25.

Claimed again off waivers, Holland got to the Buffalo Bills in time to play in their preseason finale before being released on Aug. 31 as the preseason roster of 90 players was reduced to the regular-season limit of 53.

An outside linebacker in the Broncos' 3-4 defensive scheme, Holland is listed on the roster as a defensive end for Los Angeles, which plays a 4-3 alignment.

After spending his first two seasons at Auburn behind current Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson, Holland became a starter for the Tigers in 2017. He made 45 tackles, with 13 for a loss, and registered 10 sacks, but he went undrafted in 2018.

Hoyett entered the NFL from Mississippi State as an undrafted rookie in May. He signed with the Tennessee Titans and spent the offseason, training camp and preseason with the team before being released in the final roster reduction.

Edited by Auburn Kev

Dang, 2 former AU wide receivers scoring touchdowns on the same day. 

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Dang, 2 former AU wide receivers scoring touchdowns on the same day. 

I flipped when I saw that. Saw the Slayton one live and then saw Duke on the scroll. 

Can't believe dumb ol' Slayton bypassed the opportunity for one more year of our elite WR skills training. :glare:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Ashame he was in a bad place while at Auburn.  Wish we could have seen him focused that last year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Ashame he was in a bad place while at Auburn.  Wish we could have seen him focused that last year. 

2014 Duke might have saved JJ's career. Unfortunately, JJ got 2015 Duke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

2014 Duke might have saved JJ's career. Unfortunately, JJ got 2015 Duke. 

Good point