Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Auburn NFL roundup: Duke Williams scores winning touchdown in debut

Posted Oct 06, 2019

Duke Williams played in his first NFL game on Sunday. Started it, too. And, in a way, finished it.

Signed off Buffalo’s practice squad on Saturday, Williams scored the game-deciding touchdown in the Bills’ 14-7 victory over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

The wide receiver caught four passes for 29 yards in the game, including a 7-yard reception for a touchdown that broke a 7-7 tie with 9:46 left to play.

“This is an amazing feeling,” Williams told reporters in the Bills’ locker room after the game.

After being dismissed from the Auburn football team in 2015, Williams failed to make the Los Angeles Rams in 2016 and played the previous two seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League.

After earning All-CFL recognition and leading the league in receiving yards in 2018, Williams got another NFL opportunity with Buffalo.

“It was a long, rough journey,” Williams said. “You know I had my ups and downs. I was discouraged, and I had my thoughts about it’s over. But God wasn’t done with that. He’s working through me and whatever I can to show whoever’s watching me that anything’s possible as long as they believe in their dream and believe in God himself.”

Williams said hearing the Bills fans chant "Duke" during the game made him feel as though he still was playing college football.

“It just brought me back to Auburn,” Williams said. “… That just turned me up even more and made me turn it up a notch.”

Williams was among the 17 former Auburn players who got on the field on the fifth Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

One other former Auburn player was at the Titans-Bills game:

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates played but did not record any stats.

In the other Sunday games:

Carolina Panthers 34, Jacksonville Jaguars 27

· Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was designated as inactive. Newton missed his third straight game because of a foot injury.

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell was designated as inactive.

Arizona Cardinals 26, Cincinnati Bengals 23

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson made two tackles. Lawson had missed the previous two games because of a hamstring injury.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught two passes for 16 yards.

Houston Texans 53, Atlanta Falcons 32

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. Blackson did not record any stats.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps on five punts, three extra-point kicks and one field-goal attempt.

New Orleans Saints 31, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. Barber ran for 32 yards and a touchdown on eight carries and caught one pass for minus-1 yard. Barber scored on a 2-yard run with 5:03 left in the third quarter.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made five tackles before he was disqualified in the second quarter for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean was designated as inactive. He missed his third straight game with an ankle injury.

Minnesota Vikings 28, New York Giants 10

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) was designated as inactive.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught four passes for 62 yards and a touchdown. Slayton scored his first NFL touchdown when he caught a 35-yard pass with 12:08 left in the first half.

Oakland Raiders 24, Chicago Bears 21

· Raiders place-kicker Daniel Carlson made all his kicks, connecting for a 41-yard field goal in the second quarter and three extra points.

Philadelphia Eagles 31, New York Jets 6

· Eagles safety Rudy Ford (New Hope) played but did not record any stats.

Baltimore Ravens 26, Pittsburgh Steelers 23 (OT)

· Josh Bynes started at weakside inside linebacker for the Ravens after signing with the team on Wednesday. In his first game for Baltimore since Dec. 29, 2013, Bynes made five tackles and intercepted a pass. Bynes' third career interception put the Ravens on the Pittsburgh 15-yard line in the first quarter, and Baltimore converted the turnover into a touchdown.

New England Patriots 33, Washington Redskins 7

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart was designated as inactive.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones made three tackles and caused a fumble.

· Redskins outside linebacker Cassanova McKinzy played but did not record any stats. McKinzy returned to the field after missing the previous two games because of a hip injury.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw one incomplete pass in his second NFL appearance. Stidham took over for starter Tom Brady with 6:11 left in the game and handled the final two series for New England.

Green Bay Packers 34, Dallas Cowboys 24

· Montravius Adams made one tackle. Adams returned to the field after missing the previous two games because of a shoulder injury.

Indianapolis Colts 19, Kansas City Chiefs 13

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts. Indianapolis ran for 180 yards, and Kansas City did not record a sack.

The fifth week of the season started with the Seattle Seahawks' 30-29 victory over the Los Angeles on Thursday night.night.

The fifth week of the NFL's 2019 season concludes on Monday when the Cleveland Browns visit the San Francisco 49ers at 7:15 p.m. CDT. ESPN will televise the game.

Cody Parkey getting another NFL opportunity, reports say

Posted Oct 07, 9:29 PM

The Double Doink won’t be Cody Parkey’s final kick in the NFL. The Tennessee Titans plan to sign the former Auburn place-kicker on Tuesday, NFL Network and the Tennessean reported on Monday night.

The Titans released kicker Cairo Santos on Monday after he missed all four of his field-goal attempts in Tennessee’s 14-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

Santos was an injury replacement for Ryan Succop. Succop had offseason knee surgery and was placed on injured reserve four days before the Titans' season-opening game. Succop will be eligible to return to Tennessee's active roster in the second half of the season if he is healthy.

The Chicago Bears released Parkey after he failed to connect on a 43-yard field-goal attempt with 10 seconds left in a Jan. 6 NFC playoff game against Philadelphia, allowing the Eagles to escape with a 16-15 victory. The miss was later ruled a block because a Philadelphia defensive lineman Treyvon Hester got his fingers on the football as it crossed the line of scrimmage.

The football hit the left upright, fell to the crossbar and bounced back into the end zone, enshrining the kick in Chicago sports infamy as the Double Doink.

The Bears released Parkey even though they still owed the kicker $3.5 million of the $9 million guaranteed in the four-year, $15 million contract that he signed in free agency.

Parkey made 23-of-30 field-goal attempts and 42-of-45 extra-point kicks during the regular season for Chicago, and he had made three field-goal attempts against Philadelphia before the infamous kick.

In 65 NFL regular-season games, Parkey has made 99-of-118 field-goal attempts (83.9 percent) and 149-of-156 extra-point kicks (95.5 percent). Despite having the 20th-best field-goal conversion rate in NFL history, the Titans will be Parkey's fifth team in six seasons.

Parkey started his NFL career with the Eagles in 2014, when he set the league record for points scored by a rookie with 150 and went to the Pro Bowl.

Parkey tore groin muscles in the third game of 2015 and missed the rest of the season. When he came back the next year, he wound up with the Cleveland Browns, then spent the 2017 season with the Miami Dolphins, claimed off waivers when he lost a preseason battle with rookie Zane Gonzalez in Cleveland. Parkey connected on 21-of-23 field-goal attempts for the Dolphins, earning the free-agent contract with the Bears.

Parkey did not get an offseason, training-camp or preseason opportunity in 2019, although the Titans were one of at least three teams that had Parkey come in for workouts.

• Like 1

Panthers are now 4-0 since Cam played his last game.....wondering if he will see the field again this season?    I'm thinking probably not unless Allen is hurt.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Panthers are now 4-0 since Cam played his last game.....wondering if he will see the field again this season?    I'm thinking probably not unless Allen is hurt.

...Or Allen is having a poor game, and we have a chance to win it....or Allen does have a poor game...then Cam could be back in the next game.

Allen seems to fit Norv Turner's offense more, but I don't think Allen can be the guy that leads them to a playoff, must less, success in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Saints are 4-0 without brees. You think Brees does not see the field the rest of the season? Come on. Both are the franchise QBs and will be back when the other is healthy. Crab legs threw 5 picks today. That is the main reason the Panthers won. Also run CMC may very well be the best non QB in all of football. He has put this team on his back.

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Saints are 4-0 without brees. You think Brees does not see the field the rest of the season? Come on. Both are the franchise QBs and will be back when the other is healthy. Crab legs threw 5 picks today. That is the main reason the Panthers won. Also run CMC may very well be the best non QB in all of football. He has put this team on his back.

I'm a Cam fan but JMO you can't compare them....Cam's been on a gradual slide the last few years......probably due to injuries and a bad OL....but I don't think he has earned the automatic right to get the job back if he is declared to be healthy.       

Comparing Cam to Brees?   not a valid comparison to indicate they are equivalent at this point. . 

Auburn NFL roundup: Dee Ford helps 49ers go to 5-0

Updated Oct 14, 2019; Posted Oct 13, 2019

With a 5-0 record, San Francisco is the only undefeated NFC team this season, and the 49ers got there by stifling the Los Angeles Rams 20-7 on Sunday.

San Francisco already has one more victory than it had for the whole 2018 season, when the Rams finished nine games ahead of the 49ers in the NFC West standings and represented the conference in the Super Bowl.

Los Angeles had gained 995 yards over its previous two games but had lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks. With all-star running back Todd Gurley out of their lineup, the Rams suffered their third straight loss without any sign of that offense against San Francisco.

Los Angeles' offense totaled 157 and didn't convert any of their nine third-down snaps. Rams quarterback Jared Goff, who'd passed for 517 yards two weeks ago, completed 13-of-24 passes for 78 yards against San Francisco.

The 49ers sacked Goff four times, with defensive end Dee Ford credited with 1.5.

A prep star at St. Clair County and a college standout at Auburn, Ford has been dealing with a quadriceps injury and knee tendinitis this season that had him listed as a limited participant for all of San Francisco’s practices last week. The ailments are bad enough that Ford expects to deal with them all season before seeking an offseason answer.

But the injuries haven't kept Ford from getting to the quarterback.

Ford had a strip sack in the fourth quarter against the Rams, and after Los Angeles recovered the fumble, he shared a sack with defensive lineman Arik Armstead two snaps later.

Ford also made four tackles in the game. Dee Ford and Nick Bosa are a pretty bodacious combo.

Ford was among the 16 former Auburn players who got on the field on the sixth Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

Carolina Panthers 37, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 26

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. Barber ran for a team-leading 28 yards on eight carries.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made two tackles and broke up a pass.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean returned to the field after missing the previous three games with an ankle injury. He did not record any stats

· Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was designated at inactive. Newton has missed four straight games because of a foot injury.

Washington Redskins 17, Miami Dolphins 16

· Dolphins fullback Chandler Cox was designated at inactive.

Minnesota Vikings 38, Philadelphia Eagles 20

Houston Texans 31, Kansas City Chiefs 24

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. He did not record any stats.

New Orleans Saints 13, Jacksonville Jaguars 6

Seattle Seahawks 32, Cleveland Browns 28

· Browns defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence made one tackle and recovered a fumble at the Seattle 45-yard line with 1:01 left in the third quarter.

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns.

· Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe played but did not record any stats.

· Jermaine Whitehead started at defensive back for the Browns. With nine tackles, Whitehead reached a career high for the third straight game. On Sept. 29 against the Baltimore Ravens, Whitehead had a career-best eight tackles. Against the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night, he had eight tackles again.

Baltimore Ravens 23, Cincinnati Bengals 17

· Josh Bynes started at weakside inside linebacker for the Ravens. Bynes made three tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, and he tipped a pass that was intercepted by teammate Marlon Humphrey.

· Carl Lawson started at left defensive end for the Bengals. Lawson made three tackles, including his first sack of the season. Lawson led the NFL's rookies with 8.5 sacks during the 2017 season, but his sack of Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson was his first since Sept. 30, 2018. Lawson missed the final nine games of the 2018 season because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament. After returning from the knee injury, Lawson missed two games in September with a hamstring injury.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught two passes for 26 yards, including a 22-yarder.

Arizona Cardinals 34, Atlanta Falcons 33

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps for four punts, four extra points and two field goals. Matt Bryant missed a point-after attempt with 1:53 left to play that would have tied the game.

Denver Broncos 16, Tennessee Titans 0

· Titans place-kicker Cody Parkey did not attempt a scoring kick in his first game of the 2019 season. Parkey signed with Tennessee on Tuesday.

The sixth week of the season started with the New England Patriots' 35-14 victory over the New York Giants on Thursday night.

The sixth week of the NFL’s 2019 season concludes on Monday when the Detroit Lions visit the Green Bay Packers at 7:15 p.m. CDT. ESPN will televise the game.

Kerryon Johnson hopes to make things hot for Packers in NFL’s Monday night game

Today 11:56 AM

Detroit running back Kerryon Johnson will play at Lambeau Field for the first time on Monday night when the Lions visit the Green Bay Packers for an NFC North rivalry game.

“Historically, it’s always been cold,” Johnson said about the stadium during a locker-room press conference, "so I look forward to that continuing this week -- being very cold.

"But it's a cool place. I've never played there, but it's got a lot of history. Everybody knows about the Lambeau Leap. A lot of greats have played there, a lot of Hall of Famers, so just to be able to be in that same stadium. But yeah, that cold is what I'm trying to get -- I don't do all that."

A prep star at Madison Academy and a college standout at Auburn, Johnson was asked if he’d watched any of the NFL Films’ videos from Lambeau that show the players’ breath condensing in the cold.

“Naw, I don’t want to,” Johnson said. “You can keep all that right to yourself. I don’t need to know any of that information. None of that.”

The forecast calls for a temperature of 42 degrees in Green Bay when the Lions and Packers kick off at 7:15 p.m. CDT Monday. ESPN will televise the game.

Although he grew up in Alabama, now play indoors in Detroit and really doesn't like cold weather, Johnson said he won't be as affected by the temperature as he enjoys making it seem.

“Football’s football,” Johnson said. “Once you get going, they’re not going to care if I’m cold or not. Once you get warmed up, in the NFL you have a lot more resources than you do in college and definitely more than in high school, obviously, with all these heated jackets and benches and all that stuff. You’ll find a way to stay warm, so I’m not really concerned.”

Based on his use this season, Johnson figures to work up a sweat against the Packers.

Before a knee injury ended his rookie season after 10 games in 2018, Johnson's heaviest workload with the Lions was 19 carries that produced 158 yards in a 32-21 victory over the Miami Dolphins on Oct. 21.

Johnson hit 20 carries in an NFL game for the first time on Sept. 22 and increased that to 26 carries in the following game before the Lions took off for their bye week.

“He’s the kind of guy that wants to do that,” Lions running backs coach Kyle Caskey said. “It hasn’t been an issue with him feeling overwhelmed or anything like that. He actually has been asking to get as involved as possible in every area.”

Detroit increased Johnson's load even though he wasn't as productive early in 2019 as he was last season. In 2018, Johnson's average of 5.4 yards per carry ranked third in the NFL among qualifying ball-carriers. Through three games this season, Johnson averaged 2.6 yards per carry, but the previous outing against the Kansas City Chiefs was closer to last year's performance, with an average of 4.8 yards per carry in a 125-yard outing.

“I can go to really the last game that he played, I mean the last couple games that he’s played, he’s really been beginning to trust the schemes that are going on in front of him,” said Lions offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who’s in his first season with Detroit. “I think he’s beginning to trust himself in kind of what we’re asking him to do. …

"I think I mentioned it -- I think it was last week -- that he’s doing a great job of putting his foot in the ground. He’s getting north and south, he’s being a physical runner, he’s picking up his feet, he’s running through arm tackles where maybe the first couple weeks that was a little bit different. Really been impressed with him the last couple weeks in kind of taking what we’re asking him to do, and hope we continue to grow from there.”

Johnson welcomed his third 100-yard rushing game in the NFL, but he also wants to return to the efficiency that he showed last season.

“I think it’s 50-50 with that,” Johnson said about weighing total yards against yards per carry. “I think going over 100 -- you want to be efficient -- but going over 100 is a milestone in this league. You do that, your team is more than likely going to win, in my opinion. But, hey, if you don’t get to 100, on eight carries, though, you get 70, have a good yards per carry, that’s pretty good as well. I think it’s 50-50 with that.”

As with a 100-yard game, Johnson said a 1,000-yard season is a "baseline" stat for running backs. The Lions haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher since Reggie Bush in 2013.

“It’d be huge for myself, because I thought I could have got there last year,” Johnson said. “Couple different things go well, obviously, if the injury doesn’t happen, probably could have got there last year, so for me, that was a goal of mine in college, and I continue to keep that as a goal. It’s hard to do in this league -- 1,000 yards. It is very hard to do, so it’s always kind of been a little dream, a little, small goal of mine to be able to do that.”

The Packers are yielding an average of 138.2 rushing yards per game this season, which ranks 28th among the NFL's 32 teams. Last season, Green Bay ranked 22nd in rushing defense, but Johnson said the Packers had a better defense in 2019 with the additions in free agency of outside linebackers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith, a former Greenville High School standout.

“They have really upped their defense from where they were last year, in my opinion,” Johnson said. “The guys on the edge, they cause havoc, and (inside linebacker Blake) Martinez, it seems he’s never out of place. It seems like every time you look up, he’s either at the ball or he’s around it. So when you’ve got two guys like that on the edge and somebody like that that can make the tackle, you’ve got to come with your 'A' game.”

The Packers lead the NFC North with a 4-1 record. The Lions are 2-1-1 after the Kansas City Chiefs scored a touchdown with 20 seconds left to pull out a 34-30 victory in Detroit's previous game on Sept. 29.

“This year, we understand that we have a very good team,” Johnson said, “so we’re coming out, we’re attacking, we’re coming out with full confidence, we’re coming out trying to win every game and we’re trying to win big, so that’s just the type of mentality we’re playing with this year. It’s just a whole new team, a whole new year.”

The NFC North is the NFL's only division in which every team has a winning record. The Minnesota Vikings are 4-2, and the Chicago Bears are 3-2.

Tired of Parkey getting the shaft!

lol war Eagle to these guys. 

Some are saying Cam might have a qb controversy 

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Tired of Parkey getting the shaft!

lol war Eagle to these guys. 

Some are saying Cam might have a qb controversy 

Maybe, but I think a lot of the Panther's improvement is McCaffrey. Allen has done well but also it's exactly lighting up the world. They have a lot of money invested in Cam and if he can be effective, they will play him. That said, weird things happen in the NFL all the time and the only thing that matters is the money, so who knows what's next for Cam.

5 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Johnson just cannot stay healthy.

That was always the fear. I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut their losses and let him go. 

On 10/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, WFE12 said:

I'm going to have to be a Bills fan. Impressed with their knowledge &/or research to get that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

2nd year in the league and on IR now both years. Not good for a RB, if you want to keep playing in the NFL....

Hope KJ can overcome his injury problems...

The NFL's two remaining undefeated teams, the New England Patriots and the San Francisco 49ers, both pitched shutouts this week thanks in part to a pair of former Auburn players. That and more in this week's Auburn in the NFL recap.  

BEST OF WEEK 7

Josh Bynes, LB, Baltimore Ravens
Bynes' return to the Ravens has provided the defense with stability in the middle. Through three games with the team, Bynes is rated as the 12th-most efficient linebacker, according to Pro Football Focus. On Sunday, the ninth-year player led the team with eight tackles and one tackle for loss in a 30-16 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. 

Daniel Carlson, K, Oakland Raiders
Carlson was perfect once again this week, going 3 for 3 on PATs and connecting on his lone field goal attempt from 45 yards out as the Raiders lost to the Green Bay Packers, 42-24. Carlson is now 5 of 6 on field goals and a perfect 16 of 16 on PATs for the season. Since joining the Raiders last season, he has made over 90 percent (21 of 23) of his field goal attempts. 

Dee Ford, LB, San Francisco 49ers
Ford did his part in the 49ers' shutout victory Sunday with two tackles and a sack as the team beat the Washington Redskins, 9-0, to stay unbeaten.  Ford, who has established himself as one of the league's premier edge rushers, now has at least one sack in four of the five games he's participated in and 4.5 sacks on the season. Pro Football Focus rates the former first-round pick as the No. 3 edge rusher in the NFL.

Jonathan Jones, CB, New England Patriots
Jones continues to be one of the primary reasons the Patriots lead the league in most defensive categories and are only allowing 148 passing yards per game. Playing on Monday Night Football this week, Jones had five tackles in the team's 33-0 victory over the New York Jets. He is currently rated as the No. 2 cornerback both overall and in pass coverage, according to Pro Football Focus.  

Braden Smith, OL, Indianapolis Colts 
Smith has been an important piece in the Colts' success this season. The offensive tackle is graded as the 12th-most efficient tackle, according to Pro Football Focus. On Sunday, behind Smith and the offensive line, quarterback Jacoby Brissett passed for 326 yards and four touchdowns as the Colts took down their division rival the Houston Texans, 30-23.

OTHER TIGERS IN THE NFL 
Montravius Adams, DT, Green Bay Packers
Peyton Barber, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Daren Bates, LB Tennessee Titans 
Angelo Blackson, DL, Houston Texans 
Chandler Cox, FB, Miami Dolphins
Carlton Davis, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jamel Dean, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rudy Ford, DB, Philadelphia Eagles
Josh Harris, LS, Atlanta Falcons
Kerryon Johnson, RB, Detroit Lions
Devaroe Lawrence, DL, Cleveland Browns
Carl Lawson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals
Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers
Cody Parkey, K, Tennessee Titans
Greg Robinson, OL, Cleveland Browns 
Dontavius Russell, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars
Chad Slade, OL, New York Giants
Darius Slayton, WR, New York Giants
Jarrett Stidham, QB, New England Patriots
Neiko Thorpe, CB, Seattle Seahawks
C.J. Uzomah, TE, Cincinnati Bengals 
Jermaine Whitehead, S, Cleveland Browns
Duke Williams, WR, Buffalo Bills

DNP (Reserve/Injured or Practice Squad)
Shon Coleman, OL San Francisco 49ers
Jeff Holland, LB, Los Angeles Chargers
Brandon King, LB, New England Patriots
Ricardo Louis, WR, Miami Dolphins
Cassanova McKinzy, LB, Washington Redskins

Auburn NFL roundup: Darius Slayton matches Odell Beckham Jr. feat

Posted Oct 27, 2019

New York Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught two passes on Sunday against the Detroit Lions -- and both passes produced touchdowns.

Slayton caught a 22-yard pass with 12:27 left in the second quarter and a 28-yard pass with 4:39 left in the first half as the Giants rallied from a two-touchdown deficit.

The Lions went on defeat New York 31-26 to give the Giants their fourth loss in a row.

A fifth-round draft choice from Auburn in April, Slayton had scored one touchdown in his first five games with New York. He became the first Giants rookie to catch two TD passes in one game since Odell Beckham Jr. accomplished the feat against the St. Louis Rams on Dec. 21, 2014.

“As a receiver, you want to keep making plays,” Slayton said. “Quarterbacks build confidence. … The more times he sees (me make plays), that’s why I try to fight for every ball. Even if I don’t come down with it, hey, receivers appreciate good balls and quarterbacks appreciate physical receivers. It goes hand in hand.”

Daniel Jones, the sixth player picked in the 2019 NFL Draft, threw the touchdown passes to Slayton.

“He’s a really good player,” Jones said. “I think he’s come up for us and made a lot of big-time plays. I think we all have a lot of trust in him. Obviously, he’s super-talented and his speed and just athleticism, but he’s shown to make those contested catches, the tough catches with people on him. So he’s done a great job for us.”

Slayton also returned kickoffs for the second time for the Giants. He averaged 20.4 yards on five returns, with a long of 30 yards.

Slayton was among the 20 former Auburn players who got on the field on the eighth Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

One other former Auburn player was at the Giants-Lions game:

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) was designated as inactive.

Seattle Seahawks 27, Atlanta Falcons 20

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps for four field-goal attempts and one punt.

· Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe made two tackles on defense and one on special teams.

Indianapolis Colts 15, Denver Broncos 13

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts.

Tennessee Titans 27, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. Barber ran for 20 yards on 10 carries. Tennessee stacked up Barber for a 1-yard loss on a fourth-and-1 carry at the Titans 32-yard line with 1:53 left in the game.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made two tackles and broke up three passes.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean played but did not record any stats.

· Titans place-kicker Cody Parkey made all his kicks -- two field-goal attempts and three PATs. Parkey connected on a 51-yard field goal with 1:09 left in the second quarter and hit a 42-yarder with 37 seconds left in the third quarter.

Los Angeles Rams 24, Cincinnati Bengals 10

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson was designated as inactive. Lawson missed a second straight game with a knee injury.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught a 4-yard pass.

Philadelphia Eagles 31, Buffalo Bills 13

· Bills wide receiver Duke Williams was designated as inactive. Williams was a limited participant in practice last week because of a shoulder injury.

Jacksonville Jaguars 29, New York Jets 15

· Jets safety Blake Countess played but did not record any stats.

San Francisco 49ers 51, Carolina Panthers 13

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) played but did not record any stats.

· Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was designated as inactive. Newton has missed the past five games because of a foot injury.

Houston Texans 27, Oakland Raiders 24

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. Blackson registered a tackle for loss.

· Raiders place-kicker Daniel Carlson made all four of his kicks -- one field-goal attempt and three PATs. Carlson connected on a 44-yard field goal to give Oakland a 24-20 lead with 10:48 left in the game.

New England Patriots 27, Cleveland Browns 13

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart was designated as inactive.

· Jonathan Jones started at defensive back for the Patriots. Jones made seven tackles and forced a fumble. In the first quarter, Cleveland running back Nick Chubb broke away, but Jones ran him down and knocked the football away from him. Chubb got a 44-yard run, but New England got the football at its 4-yard line after safety Devin McCourty recovered the loose football.

· Browns defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence made one tackle.

· Browns offensive tackle Greg Robinson played but did not record any stats. Robinson had started every game this season at left offensive tackle for Cleveland, but he was replaced by Justin McCray on Sunday.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham did not play.

· Jermaine Whitehead started at defensive back for the Browns. Whitehead made five tackles.

Green Bay Packers 31, Kansas City Chiefs 24

· Packers defensive tackle Montravius Adams broke up a pass.

The eighth week of the season started with the Minnesota Vikings' 19-9 victory over the Washington Redskins on Thursday night.

The eighth week of the NFL's 2019 season concludes on Monday when the Pittsburgh Steelers visit the Miami Dolphins at 7:15 p.m. CDT. ESPN will televise the game.