Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Angelo Blackson earns NFL Player of the Week recognition

Houston Texans defensive end Angelo Blackson has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for Week 15 of the NFL’s 2019 season.

In Houston's 24-21 victory over Tennessee on Sunday, Blackson blocked a 45-yard field-goal attempt by Ryan Succop to end the Titans' first possession of the game. It was the first blocked field-goal attempt by the Texans since the second week of the 2015 season.

The former Auburn standout is in his fifth NFL season and his first as a full-time starter. He entered the league as a fourth-round draft choice of the Titans and has been with the Texans since 2017. Houston signed Blackson to a three-year, $12 million contract in March to keep him from entering free agency.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Auburn Kev said:

Why? Even the Lions can't be dumb enough to play Kerryon In two meaningless games?

Is it a bonus thing about games played in?

23 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Is it a bonus thing about games played in?

Possible. Did not consider that. 

Quote from al.com article:

“It’d mean a lot to me personally, which is why I want to play so bad,” Johnson said about the prospect of playing again in 2019. “Just ending on a good note instead of ending on another bad note like last year. Hopefully, we put together two wins here. To other people, it may not mean much, but to us, a win’s a win.”

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/12/detroit-lions-bring-back-kerryon-johnson-for-sundays-game.html

Edited by Auburn Kev
  • Like 1

Auburn NFL roundup: Kerryon Johnson ‘good’ after comeback from knee injury

Detroit running back Kerryon Johnson returned to action on Sunday for the first time since sustaining a knee injury on Oct. 20 by running for 42 yards on 10 carries in the Lions’ 27-17 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

“Came out good,” Johnson said after the game. “No worse than when I went in. Can’t be mad about that. Like I said, I was happy to be able to get the chance and more happy to come out the same way I went in.”

The three-time Madison Academy All-State selection had a "procedure" after suffering a knee injury against the Minnesota Vikings on Oct. 20 and went on injured reserve.

Johnson returned to practice in the first week of December, and when he became eligible to come off injured reserve this week, the Lions activated him, even though with a 3-10-1 record Detroit didn’t have a playoff position on the line in the final two weeks of the season.

“I was making correct reads for the most part and just felt really good,” Johnson said.

After Johnson went down in October, the Lions signed former Northridge High School and Alabama standout Bo Scarbrough for their practice squad, then elevated him to the starting lineup on Nov. 17. Scarbrough started four games before a rib injury sidelined him last week.

Scarbrough returned to the field on Sunday, too, gaining 34 yards on eight carries as he split time with Johnson.

Johnson was among the nine former Auburn players who got on the field on the 16th Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

In the other Sunday games:

Atlanta Falcons 24, Jacksonville Jaguars 12

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps for three punts, three extra-point kicks and two field-goal attempts.

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell was designated as inactive.

Baltimore Ravens 31, Cleveland Browns 15

· Ravens linebacker Josh Bynes made one tackle as Baltimore secured a first-round bye and homefield advantage for the AFC playoffs.

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns.

Indianapolis Colts 38, Carolina Panthers 6

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts.

Miami Dolphins 38, Cincinnati Bengals 35 (OT)

· Dolphins fullback Chandler Cox was designated as inactive. Cox missed last week's game and was listed as questionable on the Miami injury report for Sunday's game because of a shoulder ailment.

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson made two tackles and registered five quarterback hits in the loss, which locked up the No. 1 selection in the 2020 NFL Draft for Cincinnati. Lawson's five QB hits are tied for the third-most in an NFL game this season.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught four passes for 37 yards, including an 8-yarder with 6:11 left in the fourth quarter for his first touchdown of the 2019 season. Uzomah's TD provided the first points in Cincinnati's rally from a 35-12 deficit -- a comeback that included 16 points in the final 29 seconds of the fourth period.

New York Jets 16, Pittsburgh Steelers 10

· Jets safety Blake Countess was designated as inactive.

New Orleans Saints 38, Tennessee Titans 28

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates was designated as inactive. A shoulder injury sidelined Bates for a third straight game.

New York Giants 41, Washington Redskins 35 (OT)

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) was designated as inactive.

· Darius Slayton started at wide receiver for the Giants. Slayton did not record any stats before leaving the game because of a knee injury.

Oakland Raiders 24, Los Angeles Chargers 17

· Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson made all his attempts, connecting on three extra-points and one field goal. Carlson hit a 48-yard field goal with 8:28 left in the game to extend Oakland's lead to 24-14.

The 16th week of the season started with three games on Saturday. The Houston Texans defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23-20, the New England Patriots defeated the Buffalo Bills 24-17 and the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Los Angeles Rams 34-31. Nine former Auburn players were involved in Saturday’s games, including Texans defensive end Angelo Blackson, who blocked a field-goal attempt for the second straight game.

The 16th week of the NFL's 2019 season concludes on Monday when the Green Bay Packers visit the Minnesota Vikings at 7:15 p.m. CDT. ESPN will televise the game.

Oakland Raiders to let Daniel Carlson ‘kick himself out of it’

Daniel Carlson knows firsthand what happens to NFL kickers who miss.

In his second NFL game, Carlson failed to connect on three field-goal attempts for the Minnesota Vikings. Two came in overtime, including on the final snap, in a 29-29 tie with the Green Bay Packers on Sept. 16, 2018.

The Vikings cut Carlson the next day, even though they’d traded up in the NFL Draft to select him in the fifth round earlier in the year.

Over his past seven games with the Oakland Raiders, Carlson has missed seven kicks. But Raiders coach Jon Gruden said the team had no plans to move on from the former Auburn standout.

“We’re going to see this kid kick himself out of it,” Gruden said. “This is a great kid. He’s got a great amount of talent. I saw him hit 15 in a row last year, and I got a lot of faith in this guy. I really do. He’s going to kick himself out of it, or I’ll be very disappointed. I’ve got a lot of faith in this kid.”

After the Vikings let him go, Carlson caught on with Oakland in the eighth week of the 2018 season. In his first 17 games with the Raiders spanning the 2018 and 2019 seasons, Carlson made 22-of-24 field-goal attempts and 37-of-37 extra-point kicks.

But in the seven games since the start of November, Carlson has made 9-of-14 field-goal attempts and 12-of-14 extra-point kicks.

Last week, Carlson had made field goals of 33, 34 and 27 yards against the Jacksonville Jaguars, when he was wide left on a 50-yard attempt.

But Jaguars cornerback Parry Nickerson ran into Carlson on the kick, giving him another chance from 45 yards out. But Carlson missed wide left again.

“I had a great warm-up today,” Carlson said after the game. "I was hitting the ball well. I just didn’t take advantage of it at the end. I didn’t hit it perfectly. Like I said, I have to look at it to see anything technically. It’s completely my fault. I take full responsibility for it.”

Jacksonville got the football at its 35-yard line with 1:44 left in the game after the miss, and the Jaguars scored a touchdown with 31 seconds to play to post a 20-16 victory in the Raiders' final game in Oakland before the team moves to Las Vegas for the 2020 NFL season.

"They came a little hot on that (first attempt), " Carlson said, "but I missed it. I take full responsibility for that. I’ll get a chance to watch film here soon and see exactly what happened, but it obviously sucks letting the team down like that. I feel for these fans. This was their last chance to be here. I’m hurting for the team and those fans who have been so great here in Oakland.”

Gruden was apologetic, too, after the loss, but he didn't point to Carlson as the reason for the defeat.

“That’s not the reason why we lost today,” Gruden said. “I take responsibility for it. We had opportunities to make plays in all three phases of the game, and we didn’t take them.”

On the snap before Carlson's fourth-quarter misses, wide receiver Tyrell Williams couldn't hang on to a pass on third-and-11, keeping the Raiders from picking up a first down that would have allowed Oakland to kneel out the clock on a 16-13 victory.

The loss was the fourth in a row for the Raiders as they slid out of playoff contention.

Oakland has two games left in its 2019 season. The Raiders visit the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday and the Denver Broncos on Dec. 29.

While at Auburn, Carlson set an SEC career record with 92 field goals, and he made all 198 of his extra-point attempts. With his 20-yard touchdown run on a field-goal fake in the 2016 season added to his total, Carlson scored a conference-record 480 points.

Auburn NFL roundup: Duke Williams records 100-yard game for Bills

The Buffalo Bills have been locked into the No. 5 spot in the AFC playoff field since last week, so for their regular-season finale against the New York Jets on Sunday, they kept some of their key players out of harm's way.

For players such as Duke Williams, that strategy provided the opportunity to get back into the game, and the former Auburn wide receiver responded with six receptions for 108 yards in the Bills' 13-6 loss to the Jets.

Williams entered Sunday with six receptions for 58 yards in his three NFL games.

Williams had been inactive on game day since Oct. 27. But after eight weeks on the bench, he caught four passes for 90 yards in the fourth quarter against New York, including a 41-yarder.

“I’ve been sitting out for a long, long time,” Williams said. “It’s only so long you can keep a dog on a leash. Once they let me off -- and they told me they were going to let me off this week -- all I could think about was go get it.”

The Bills designated seven starters as their game-day inactives, and several other key players, such as quarterback Josh Allen, played only one series in the game as though it were a preseason contest.

Buffalo opens the playoffs on the road against the Houston Texans at 3:35 p.m. CST Saturday.

"Today was my playoff game," Williams said. "I tried to show these coaches that I'm available for them if they need me come playoff time."

Williams was among the 19 former Auburn players who got on the field on the final Sunday of the NFL’s 100th season.

One other former Auburn player was at the Jets-Bills game:

· Jets safety Blake Countess was designated as inactive.

In the other Sunday games:

Cincinnati Bengals 33, Cleveland Browns 23

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson made four tackles, recorded two sacks and registered four quarterback hits. Lawson had a sack on a third-and-7 snap at the Cincinnati 14 that caused Cleveland to settle for a field goal in the second quarter. His second sack came on a first-and-goal snap at the Cincinnati 5 in the fourth quarter, but Cleveland recovered to score a touchdown on fourth down.

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught five passes for 25 yards, including a 15-yard reception for Cincinnati's first touchdown with 9:53 left in the first quarter. Uzomah did not have a touchdown catch in the Bengals' first 14 games of the season, but he finished the campaign with one in each of the last two games.

Miami Dolphins 27, New England Patriots 24

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart was designated as inactive.

· Dolphins fullback Chandler Cox played but did not record any stats.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones made four tackles as he returned after missing last week's game because of a groin injury.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham did not play.

Green Bay Packers 23, Detroit Lions 20

· Packers defensive lineman Montravius Adams played but did not record any stats.

· Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) started at running back for the Lions. Johnson ran for 53 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries. Johnson scored on a 1-yard run with 3:13 left in the first half for his first touchdown since Oct. 14. Johnson played for the second straight Sunday after missing eight games because of a knee injury.

Atlanta Falcons 28, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 22 (OT)

· Buccaneers running back Peyton Barber gained 10 yards on six carries and caught two passes for 25 yards.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made six tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, and broke up a pass.

· Jamel Dean started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Dean made four tackles.

· Buccaneers cornerback John Franklin III made his NFL debut. After working last week as the stand-in for Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson on Tampa Bay’s scout team, Franklin got on the field against Atlanta in the wildcat formation and had an 11-yard run. The game book listed Franklin’s position as wide receiver.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps for four field-goal attempts, two punts and one extra-point kick.

Philadelphia Eagles 34, New York Giants 17

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) was designated as inactive.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught four passes for 50 yards, including a 33-yarder.

Tennessee Titans 35, Houston Texans 14

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. Blackson made one tackle.

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates returned after missing the previous three games because of a shoulder injury. Bates made a tackle on special teams.

Baltimore Ravens 28, Pittsburgh Steelers 10

· Josh Bynes started at middle linebacker for the Ravens. Bynes made one tackle.

Jacksonville Jaguars 38, Indianapolis Colts 20

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell was designated as inactive.

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts.

Denver Broncos 16, Oakland Raiders 15

· Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson went 3-of-4 on field-goal attempts. Carlton was wide left from 39 yards on his first attempt in the first quarter, then connected from 23, 33 and 28 yards. The final two kicks came in the fourth quarter. But when Oakland scored a touchdown with seven seconds to play, the Raiders tried a 2-point conversion rather than have Carlson send the game into overtime with a PAT. Oakland's pass was incomplete.

San Francisco 49ers 26, Seattle Seahawks 21

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) was designated as inactive. Ford missed the final three games of the regular season because of a hamstring injury.

27 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I don't get it with Williams. He looked good in preseason, and had good stats I think coming out of the Canadian league. But he basically is inactive all during the season until the last game and gets over 100 yards mostly from a backup QB.

He has the build to help a QB with those 50/50 balls. 

I wonder what this team doesn't see in him. It's not like they have All Pros at WR positions.

I know he suffered an injury set back when he started playing mid season.  I think he had a poor output game around the same time and never saw the field after.  Only familiar with this since I rostered him a short while in fantasy. 

11 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Good for him for making the smart decision to enter the draft. I hope he can keep it up and make that 2nd contract a fat one. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 7:13 AM, McLoofus said:

Good for him for making the smart decision to enter the draft. I hope he can keep it up and make that 2nd contract a fat one. 

I don't think there's another player that makes me feel more vindicated.....him, Thorpe, and Lamar Jackson in a roundabout way

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think there's another player that makes me feel more vindicated.....him, Thorpe, and Lamar Jackson in a roundabout way

I almost want to add Barber to the list but that was more just my general desire for folks to leave players the hell alone lol. I don't think I predicted him having a real NFL career.

• Like 1

Well my man Lamar had to bow out and I'm sad.....but no matter how you chop it up there will never be anything more effective than a dominant o line and running back to win a game. I look forward to hopefully watch a Rodgers mahomes match up but with the way the 49ers and titans play you can't count anybody out.