Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Patriots seem to be betting on Stids this year. They just drafted a kicker in 5th with Fromm available. They have passed up several signal callers that were available.  I bet Cam goes to Patriots shortly after draft. Just please not

Eagles got Driscoll and Tega. War Eagle boys. 
at least we know if Jalen looks good it was because of us 😁

If not, it’s because he was a turd ... haha. I actually like Jalen and wish him well. Much respect for that dude. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Patriots seem to be betting on Stids this year. They just drafted a kicker in 5th with Fromm available. They have passed up several signal callers that were available.  I bet Cam goes to Patriots shortly after draft. Just please not

I want Cam to finally go to a team with actual weapon's. Patriots skill position players absolutely suck at WR and TE besides Edelman. 

I wish cowboys would of not re signed Dak to that ridiculous contract. I would of loooooved to have Cam in Dallas with those weapons.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I want Cam to finally go to a team with actual weapon's. Patriots skill position players absolutely suck at WR and TE besides Edelman. 

I wish cowboys would of not re signed Dak to that ridiculous contract. I would of loooooved to have Cam in Dallas with those weapons.

Same here. I just think that’s where he goes. My gosh Cam in Dallas would have been magic for sure with a great OL. Especially with the Boys also getting Lamb?!  Dang man, never thought of that combo. Now I have to change my shorts. lol

• Haha 1

JD13 should have been drafted. Maybe he will find himself in a good situation as UDFA. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, AUBwins said:

Same here. I just think that’s where he goes. My gosh Cam in Dallas would have been magic for sure with a great OL. Especially with the Boys also getting Lamb?!  Dang man, never thought of that combo. Now I have to change my shorts. lol

Most of the projections I’ve read have Cam either going to the Pats or the Jags.  As much as I hate Bellichek, I’d much rather see him in New England.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:03 PM, AUBwins said:

I bet Cam goes to Patriots shortly after draft. Just please not

On 4/25/2020 at 5:38 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I want Cam to the Patriots for several reasons. One is my brother-in-law, who is a die-hard Patriots fan. But who is also a massive Brady fanboy and Cam hater. 

The downside is that Patriots fans will HATE the next QB unless he goes straight to the SB.

Agreed about the weapons, but I can't imagine it staying that way for long. And it's a much less physical division, and CBB usually does a good job of protecting his QB if nothing else. Fantastic defense, good play calling... I think there's potential there.

But maybe I want my brother in law, who I love dearly, to be angry. Maybe even turn on CBB, Kraft and the FO. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I want Cam to the Patriots for several reasons. One is my brother-in-law, who is a die-hard Patriots fan. But who is also a massive Brady fanboy and Cam hater. 

The downside is that Patriots fans will HATE the next QB unless he goes straight to the SB.

Agreed about the weapons, but I can't imagine it staying that way for long. And it's a much less physical division, and CBB usually does a good job of protecting his QB if nothing else. Fantastic defense, good play calling... I think there's potential there.

But maybe I want my brother in law, who I love dearly, to be angry. Maybe even turn on CBB, Kraft and the FO. 

OF COURSE, i don't like the Pats for obvious reasons. 

But I really don't want Cam there, having to compete with another Auburn player at QB. 

But I agree the fans will not be very patient w any QB that struggles after TB has left. I hate it may fall on JS or even CN.

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

OF COURSE, i don't like the Pats for obvious reasons. 

But I really don't want Cam there, having to compete with another Auburn player at QB. 

But I agree the fans will not be very patient w any QB that struggles after TB has left. I hate it may fall on JS or even CN.

Yeah, there's that, him possibly taking Stidham's job. But at least Stid would be losing his job to Auburn's GOAT. 

I dunno. Always hard to tell with CBB but it feels like he's not sold on Stidham. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Long read but a good one. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pro Bowler’s injury turns spotlight on Eagles rookie Jack Driscoll

Today 1:19 PM

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

The possibilities for Philadelphia Eagles rookie Jack Driscoll might have expanded in a big way on Monday.

On Monday night, Philadelphia Eagles right guard Brandon Brooks announced he had torn his left Achilles tendon, an injury that likely will cause him to miss the 2020 NFL season.

At that time, ESPN’s projected depth chart for the Eagles showed Driscoll as Brooks’ backup at right guard. On Tuesday morning, the depth chart had Driscoll in Philadelphia’s starting lineup.

The Eagles don’t have an official depth chart yet. They haven’t even been on the field together as a team. The coronavirus pandemic caused the NFL to limit its teams to conducting their offseason programs online.

Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson was online on Tuesday morning for a virtual press conference, during which he addressed the Eagles’ plans after a player on a three-season Pro Bowl streak had been lifted from their lineup by a workout injury.

“As far as the plan moving forward, at this point we’re still looking at a lot of options, obviously,” Pederson said, “starting with our own roster and the guys that we have competing for those backup spots and possibly those starting spots. We obviously haven’t made any decisions. We’re going to take a look at a lot of different scenarios, different possibilities, and we’ve got some time before training camp to try to sort these things out, so at this time we’re just feeling for Brandon and want to make sure everything goes smoothly with him and getting him back on track for the future.”

Driscoll joined Philadelphia in the fourth round of the NFL Draft on April 25 after two seasons as Auburn’s right offensive tackle. He’s listed as a tackle on the Eagles’ roster, but draft listings showed Driscoll as a guard, and he started his college career playing left guard for Massachusetts.

After he was drafted, Driscoll said he had been preparing to play more than offensive tackle in the NFL. Driscoll said J.B. Grimes, Auburn’s offensive-line coach during his two seasons with the Tigers, and Kendall Simmons, an eight-year NFL guard and current Auburn analyst, gave him the idea of getting ready to do more as a pro.

“They both just said to me, ‘Look you might be able to play tackle in the NFL and you probably can, but at the same time a lot of teams will see you as an interior guy – center and guard,’” Driscoll said. “The more you can do, the more valuable you are to a team. If you can only play one position, you’re not really that valuable.”

Pederson said the Eagles don’t know how prepared Driscoll and the team’s other rookies might be to play because the coaching staff has worked with them only in online meetings.

“It’s the hardest thing that we’re dealing with with your younger players is not having the grass time in the offseason with Phase 2 and Phase 3,” Pederson said. “… Once we get them on the grass, things move a little bit faster than virtual meetings, so it’s how fast they can process the information that we’ve been giving them this spring. But having a good feel for the knowledge of where they are is good, and yet once we get them on the grass, we’ll know more.”

Among the possibilities to replace Brooks in the Eagles’ lineup is Matt Pryor.

A sixth-round draft pick in 2018 after playing guard and tackle at TCU, Pryor did not play during his rookie season. In 2019, he played 79 offensive snaps in 12 regular-season games for Philadelphia. He took 35 of those snaps in the Eagles’ regular-season finale, when Brooks suffered a dislocated shoulder.

The next week, Pryor made his first NFL start in Brooks’ place at right guard and played every offensive snap in Philadelphia’s 17-9 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

“I think 32 teams are probably sitting here today going, ‘Wow, I wish we had OTAs. I wish we had a chance to evaluate some of our draft picks, the young players on our team, even the free agents new to the team,’” Pederson said. “I don’t want to call it a setback, but at the same time we do have some young players that played for us last year that are going to have to take a big step forward. Pryor played last year at the end of the season. (Guard Nate) Herbig got in there at the end of the year.

“These guys have to understand there’s a little bit of a sense of urgency once we get into training camp. Things are going to move fast, and we have to, as coaches, need to evaluate these players. I have to put them in positions to be successful, to show what they can do, and that’s everything that we’re in the process of doing right now leading up to camp.”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Hastings is now back with the Pats.

I am glad I don’t keep up with how this all works. Glad Will still has a chance. 

Carlton Davis already a ‘top 10’ NFL cornerback, Bucs coach says

Updated 11:35 AM; Today 11:35 AM

During a press conference on Tuesday, Tampa Bay coach Bruce Arians was asked if Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis was ready to step into the top tier of NFL cornerbacks in his third season.

Arians said the former Auburn standout already had – on Dec. 21, 2019.

“I think Carlton made that move,” Arians said. “What he did to DeAndre Hopkins was outstanding. He basically just shut him out of the game, and that’s not an easy job. He did a really good job on Julio (Jones). He realized Julio’s a little stronger.

“But the penalties have gone. He’s one of the top 10 guys, in my opinion, right now.”

In Tampa Bay’s next-to-last game of the 2019 season, Davis held Hopkins to five receptions for 23 yards in a 23-20 loss to the Houston Texans. The wide receiver had his least productive game in his third straight All-Pro season. In his other 2019 games, Hopkins averaged seven receptions for 82 yards. Hopkins hadn’t had fewer receiving yards in a game since Oct. 15, 2017, when he had two receptions for 19 yards against the Cleveland Browns (but one of those catches went for a touchdown).

The next week, Davis had to finish the season against Jones, completing his sixth straight Pro Bowl season with the Atlanta Falcons. The former Alabama standout caught seven of the 13 passes thrown to him for 78 yards in the Falcons’ 28-22 victory.

Davis had a defensive pass interference penalty against Atlanta. In the first half of the 2019 season, opponents accepted nine penalties committed by Davis, including four for defensive pass interference that cost the Buccaneers 70 yards. In Tampa Bay’s 27-23 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Oct. 27, Davis got flagged for pass interference on back-to-back snaps in the third quarter, with the penalties negating his interceptions on both plays. In the final eight games of 2019, Davis committed only two accepted penalties, with a holding penalty joining the final-game pass interference.

In 2019, Davis made his first NFL interception and had 19 passes defended, one short of league leader Stephon Gilmore, the New England Patriots cornerback who was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Another former Auburn standout who plays cornerback for Tampa Bay, rookie Jamel Dean made two interceptions and had 17 pass defended, which ranked fourth in the NFL last season.

Davis and Dean became the first pair of Tampa Bay teammates to have at least 15 pass breakups in the same season since Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly in 2005.

Of the 43 former Auburn players on NFL rosters, nine are defensive backs. In addition to Davis and Dean, the ex-Tiger DBs include Javaris Davis and Noah Igbinoghene with the Miami Dolphins, Jeremiah Dinson with the Detroit Lions, Rudy Ford with the Philadelphia Eagles, Jonathan Jones with the New England Patriots, Daniel Thomas with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Neiko Thorpe with the Seattle Seahawks.

Six of those nine players have two or fewer seasons of NFL experience.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 1

Noah Igbinoghene prepping for starting role with Miami Dolphins

Updated 8:09 AM; Today 8:09 AM

With one cornerback already owning a $75.25 million contract, the Miami Dolphins signed another in free agency to an $82.5 million deal in March.

But when the Dolphins kick off their 2020 schedule, rookie Noah Igbinoghene could be one of their starting cornerbacks, even though he’ll be beginning only his third season at the position and likely will be the NFL’s only 20-year-old.

Miami used the 30th choice in the NFL Draft on April 23 on Igbinoghene despite having Xavier Howard and Byron Jones at cornerback. He seemed headed for duty as a slot corner in his rookie season.

But Howard played in only five games in 2019 because of a knee injury, and he’s been on the reserve/COVID-19 list since Aug. 11. With Howard recovering from two ailments, Dolphins coach Brian Flores said Miami needed to prepare for its season-opening game on Sept. 13 against the New England Patriots as though Howard would not be ready to play.

When Flores listed the players in line to fill Howard’s spot, Igbinoghene’s name was the first he mentioned.

After coming to Auburn from Hewitt-Trussville High School as a wide receiver, Igbinoghene made the switch to the secondary during spring practice in 2018 after one season as a pass-catcher. Despite his inexperience at cornerback, Igbinoghene thinks covering fellow 2020 first-round draft picks Henry Ruggs III and Jerry Jeudy of Alabama and Justin Jefferson of LSU in the SEC helped hasten his development, with his work at training camp continuing the process.

“I really feel like that’s how I learned -- going against receivers like that,” Igbinoghene said. “Getting a feel of receivers like that -- (Miami’s) Preston (Williams) and DeVante (Parker) and Jakeem (Grant) and all of those guys, they’re highly touted receivers as well -- and so me being used to going against receivers every single week in the SEC and stuff like that I really feel like it gave me an advantage coming into the NFL a little bit.

“It’s still an adjustment. It’s still something I’m still working on because it’s the game, the speed of the game is different. Just offenses are smarter and stuff like that, and so it’s just something I’ve got to get used to, and I’m doing that every single day.”

Igbinoghene will have to get ready for the season-opener without the benefit of any preseason experience. The NFL canceled its entire preseason schedule because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m sure I would have been good with having a preseason,” Igbinoghene said. “I feel like any rookie in the past, that’s some of the games where they make most of their mistakes at, and now it’s just practice for me.

“And that’s just how it is. It’s the reality, and I have to adjust. I have to be able just to make it and just – what’s the word – just be able to get better every single day. That’s really what it is. Preseason, no preseason, no matter what, I have to do my job out there on the field. I make mistakes on the field every single day, so I’m just getting better in that and putting those mistakes out.”

Miami’s Eric Rowe, a former cornerback who now plays safety, said Igbinoghene is showing during practice that he’ll be able to handle the assignment if he needs to start for Howard.

“He has a lot of potential,” Rowe said. “He’s explosive, strong, quick and, obviously, he works hard as hell. He doesn’t care that he’s first round or whatever round he went -- I can tell. You can see in his eye that he wants to be great from the start, so what I’ve seen from him in camp -- he still makes rookie mistakes like everybody does -- but I can tell from his learning progression, he’s going to be a good guy in the league.”

With Howard missing most of the season after earning Pro Bowl recognition and leading the NFL with seven interceptions in 2018, the Dolphins gave up more passing yards and more touchdown passes than any other team in the NFL in 2019. That prompted the Dolphins to sign Jones, who also earned a Pro Bowl invitation in 2018 in his first season at cornerback after three years as a safety for the Dallas Cowboys, and use a first-round pick on Igbinoghene.

“I feel like I’ve been doing pretty good,” Igbinoghene said of his training-camp work. “Of course, I would like to do better. Of course, I don’t want them to catch any balls on me at all. That’s just the type of dude I am. But it’s going to happen. I’m a few practices in in the league and so it’s going to happen. I’m just getting used to it, but eventually we’ll get there. We’ll get to a point where I’m shutting them down a little bit. We’ll get to that eventually.”

The only reason I have a moderate interest in the NFL is to watch former AU players play.

This year I hope that the NFL will take a stand that the other pro sports have refused to take. No kneeling or disrespecting our county. I want to watch our former players play in the pro ranks, but will refuse to watch if players kneel. I know there will be some that agree with me and some that don't.

I long for the days when you turned on your t.v. to watch a sporting event strictly for the sporting aspect of it without all the politics involved.

• Like 2