Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

13 hours ago, Paladin said:

The RB injuries in the NFL this season have been ridiculous. 

Hope PB can get healthy. He and the Raiders both have an opportunity for some success this season, even though the AFC West is suddenly looking pretty brutal. 

Kicker Cody Parkey aware of opportunity he has with New Orleans Saints

Oct 07, 2021 at 04:29 PM

John DeShazier

Senior Writer

Cody Parkey wasn't wishing ill on Aldrick Rosas, or any other NFL kicker. It's a small fraternity and if all kickers aren't friends, it likely is only because they haven't met.

But Rosas' misfortune (missing three of four field goals in the New Orleans Saints' first four games this season) turned into Parkey's good fortune on Tuesday, when he was signed to kick for the Saints after Rosas was released.

Parkey's first game action with the Saints (2-2) will be Sunday, against the Washington Football Team (2-2) at FedExField in Landover, Md.

"When you're on the outside looking in, you kind of look at who did good, who did bad and unfortunately, I've been in that situation," Parkey said Thursday. "When you're on the outside looking in, someone has to do bad or get injured for an opening to happen. Obviously, you never want that to happen to anybody because I've been in those shoes before. But a door opened for me, and here I am."

Parkey had been home in Jupiter, Fla., rehabbing from a quadriceps strain that he said led to his release from Cleveland in training camp. He was placed on injured reserve Aug. 23, and released the next day. But upon his return to full health, the 29-year-old again was ready to kick in the NFL when the opportunity arose.

"The last couple of weeks I've been feeling good, and got the opportunity here," he said. "I was just itching to get back on the field, (and) happy to be here."

Parkey, who previously has kicked for the Eagles, Browns (twice), Dolphins, Bears and Titans in his seven seasons, has made 121 of 143 field goals (84.6 percent), with a long of 54 yards (twice, most recently in 2017).

For the Saints, he understands that he's holding down the position until Wil Lutz returns. Lutz had core muscle surgery in August and currently is on injured reserve.

"It's the National Football League," Parkey said. "It's a week-to-week job. You make your kicks, you've got a job – that's kind of how it works. I've kind of been unlucky with an injury here or there or something along those lines. I'm just happy to fill in while Wil is recovering and I'm going to do the best I can to help this team win.

"I know this is Wil's job. I'm just here to do a great job until he's healthy, whenever that may be. I'm just going to go week by week and try to help this team win."

While with the Dolphins, Parkey was coached by current Saints special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi. That season, 2017, Parkey made 21 of 23 field-goal attempts (91.3 percent), the highest percentage he's had in any season where he has attempted at least 20 field goals.

"I think he just treats us really well," Parkey said of Rizzi. "He makes things fun and energetic. The mood is pretty light and when it needs to be serious, it's serious. But he's just someone that I look back on the coordinators that I've played for, he's definitely one of my favorites to play for."

Coach Sean Payton said Parkey's workout and kicking history led to the decision to sign the free agent.

"He's been steady," Payton said. "His numbers have been good. Just go back through it relative to his consistency and his accuracy. Overall, it's kind of a result-oriented business where you're wanting to get to a certain percentage of made tries within a distance that you feel like you're comfortable with relative to leg strength. He's a veteran player, he's a guy with, I think, poise. I think he's mentally tough and we're looking forward to having him."

• Like 1

Eagles keeping plans for Jack Driscoll ‘close to the vest’

Updated: 10:54 a.m. | Published: 10:54 a.m.

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Which position will Jack Driscoll play for the Philadelphia Eagles against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday?

His coach isn’t saying, and maybe it wouldn’t make any difference anyway, considering what happened in the Eagles’ previous game.

After last season’s injury nightmare for the Philadelphia offensive line, the 2021 season hasn’t started out much better. The Eagles were going to play the Kansas City Chiefs in Game 4 on Sunday without three of their Game 1 offensive-line starters. After missing the first three games on injured reserve because of a pectoral strain, Driscoll spent his first week of practice prepping to play right guard for missing starter Brandon Brooks against the Chiefs.

Instead, right tackle Lane Johnson missed the game due to personal reasons, and Eagles offensive-line coach Jeff Stoutland shifted Driscoll from one vacancy to another, moving the former Auburn standout into the position where he started four times as a rookie last season.

“It was about an hour and a half before the game, and Stout told me the news and whatnot,” Driscoll said during an appearance on the “Eagles Insider” podcast. “It was kind of like, ‘Screw it. I don’t have time to be nervous. I don’t have time to overthink it. I’m just going to go out there and execute my technique.’ I’ve repped a lot of right tackle. Throughout college, I played right tackle, so it wasn’t like they were saying, ‘Hey, you’re playing center’ or something I haven’t played in a long time.

“I was confident. I had played a lot next to (guard) Nate Herbig. We played a lot game and a lot of practice reps next to each other, so that made it nice. I just went out there with the same mentality that I had while I was at guard: I’m just not going to let the team down. I’m going to go out there and play as hard as I can, and whatever happens happens. But I don’t want people to turn on the tape and say, ‘Oh, he wasn’t playing hard.’ That’s one thing I always try to pride myself on is playing hard and playing to the whistle, playing for the city of Philadelphia.”

Johnson is a three-time Pro Bowl selection, and Driscoll didn’t want to play at anything but that level of performance.

“I always just try to keep level-headed,” Driscoll said. “That’s kind of something I’ve always done no matter what sport from a young age. No matter what situation I’m in, try to make the most from it and learn from it because, as you’ve seen, you can be thrown into any situation, and I don’t want to feel like I’m letting the team down when I’m in there. I don’t want the level of play to drop just because I’m in there, so it’s up to me to rise to the occasion.”

Johnson also will miss Sunday’s game against the Panthers. But that doesn’t automatically put Driscoll back at right tackle. Jordan Mailata, the Eagles’ starter at left tackle in the first two games, will return after missing two games with a knee injury, giving Philadelphia the option of using him or his replacement for the past two games, Andre Dillard, at right tackle.

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni isn’t saying how Philadelphia will configure its offensive line on Sunday.

“I think that’s a competitive advantage for us not say where we’re going to play guys, especially with Jordan back in the mix,” Sirianni said. “There’s more elements into it this week with some guys back, particularly Jordan, obviously, so it’s a competitive advantage that we’ll keep close to the vest for right now.”

Driscoll told reporters he was preparing to play right guard and right tackle.

“I’ll just be ready for either one,” Driscoll said, “and go out there and do what I can.”

Driscoll played some at guard as a freshman at Massachusetts in 2016, but he’d been a tackle since, starting every game in his two seasons at Auburn on the right side. But he worked last season to learn the guard role in the Eagles’ offense.

“At guard, things just happen quicker,” Driscoll said. “It’s right there. It’s on you right away. I always think I can take some things from tackle to guard that help me and vice versa when I go to tackle. I always feel like being able to play both, it kind of gives you a better understanding of the whole line’s blocking schemes and it helps you hone in on your technique to be able to play anywhere.”

And Driscoll is happy to play anywhere after sitting out for three weeks.

“When you’re injured, and you see all your guys out there and you’re rooting for them, it’s hard not being out there,” Driscoll said. “At practice, just standing there watching, it really gives you a sense of appreciation for how much you love the game and how lucky I am to do what I do for a living and to be able to play for a great organization like the Philadelphia Eagles and represent them on the field.

“From each injury, I try to learn and grow a little bit and understand the game doesn’t last forever for anyone, and it’s like you can’t take it for granted. You can’t take a play for granted because you never really do ever know when it’s going to be your last play.”

The Eagles and Panthers are scheduled to kick off at noon CDT Sunday at Bank of America in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Good grief, couldn't even make it through pregame warmups before getting hurt. 

Saints putting Cody Parkey on injured reserve

Josh Alper

30 mins ago

The Saints switched kickers last week by dumping Aldrick Rosas and brining in Cody Parkey, but Parkey’s time in the lineup is up.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Saints are putting Parkey on injured reserve.

Parkey injured his groin in pregame warmups before the Saints beat Washington 33-22 on Sunday. He made three of the five extra points that he attempted in the victory.

It will be Parkey’s second injured reserve stint of the year. He was briefly on the Browns’ list during training camp before being released.

The Saints won’t need to fill the spot this week because they have a bye. The hope in New Orleans is that Wil Lutz will be ready to come off injured reserve for Week Seven.

Edited by Paladin

1 minute ago, Paladin said:

Good grief, couldn't even make it through pregame warmups.

Saints putting Cody Parkey on injured reserve

Josh Alper

30 mins ago

The Saints switched kickers last week by dumping Aldrick Rosas and brining in Cody Parkey, but Parkey’s time in the lineup is up.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Saints are putting Parkey on injured reserve.

Parkey injured his groin in pregame warmups before the Saints beat Washington 33-22 on Sunday. He made three of the five extra points that he attempted in the victory.

It will be Parkey’s second injured reserve stint of the year. He was briefly on the Browns’ list during training camp before being released.

The Saints won’t need to fill the spot this week because they have a bye. The hope in New Orleans is that Wil Lutz will be ready to come off injured reserve for Week Seven.

It's got to be over for Parkey. Pretty good career, but those injuries really interrupted a longer career.

• Like 1

Auburn in the NFL: Week 5 rundown

Story LinksCornerback Jamel Dean hauled in his fourth career interception Sunday to highlight a week where it was the former Auburn players on defense who shined the brightest. 

That and more in this week's Auburn in the NFL rundown. 

BEST OF WEEK 5

Montravius Adams, DT, New Orleans Saints

Adams, who signed with the Saints last month, enjoyed his best game of the season in a 33-22 win over the Washington Football Team. The fourth-year defensive lineman finished with three tackles, a tackle for loss and a pass deflection. It was his first game with three or more tackles since last October when he was still playing for the Green Bay Packers. 

Derrick Brown, DT, Carolina Panthers

It was one of the better performances this season for Brown who recorded three tackles and got after the quarterback better than he had in recent weeks. Brown forced a pass deflection that nearly turned into a scoop-and-score but was ruled an incomplete pass. The former top 10 pick finished with a PFF grade of 74.9, second-highest among Panthers defenders in Sunday's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. 

Jamel Dean, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After missing the previous game due to injury, Dean returned to the starting lineup and collected his first interception of the season in a 45-17 win over the Miami Dolphins. It was one of two passes defended on the day for Dean who also had five tackles and played all 54 snaps on defense. The third-year cornerback now has four career interceptions and 27 passes defended in 31 games played since entering the NFL in 2019. 

Jamien Sherwood, LB, New York Jets

Sherwood continues to make an immediate impact for the Jets and turned in the most productive game of his young career in Sunday's loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The rookie linebacker played his most snaps of the season on defense with 34 and registered six tackles, five on defense. Sherwood finished with a PFF grade of 77.0, by far his best of the season.

• Like 1

Bucs coaches confident in rookie linebacker K.J. Britt

Updated: 5:00 a.m. | Published: 5:00 a.m.

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Rookie linebacker K.J. Britt hasn’t played a defensive snap for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But that could change on Thursday night, and if it does, the Bucs coaches say the former Auburn standout is ready for NFL action.

Inside linebacker Lavonte David sustained an ankle injury in Tampa Bay’s 45-17 victory over the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, and the 10-year veteran hasn’t practiced this week as the Buccaneers prepare to play the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday night.

If David can’t play against the Eagles, nine-year veteran Kevin Minter would be expected to line up with Devin White as the Buccaneers’ inside linebackers.

Minter and Britt are the second-team inside linebackers on Tampa Bay’s depth chart. The Bucs also have rookie Grant Stuard available.

“I think he’s more than ready,” Tampa Bay coach Bruce Arians said when asked about the prospect of Britt playing on defense this week. “By this time now, those guys have had a ton of snaps. I think he and Grant both, they’ll be more than ready to play if they have to.”

Before Sunday’s victory over Miami, Minter, Britt and Stuard had played one defensive snap combined this season. All three contributed on special teams, with Britt on the field for 90 special-teams plays in Tampa Bay’s five games.

White and David played every defensive snap of 2021 together until David got hurt on Sunday. That got Minter on the field for the final 26 snaps.

On Tuesday, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles echoed Arians’ Monday assessment of Britt, a fifth-round draft choice who starred at Oxford High School.

“Britt’s tough,” Bowles said. “He’s a very hard-nosed player. He will run up and hit you. He studies better than a normal rookie studies. He understands the game. He takes a lot of mental reps, and he’s prepared to play.”

David’s ankle injury made him one of five defensive players on the Buccaneers’ injury report this week, and Tampa Bay already is missing cornerbacks Carlton Davis and Sean Murphy-Bunting, who are on injured reserve.

A former Auburn standout, Davis went down with a quadriceps injury in the Bucs’ 19-17 victory over the New England Patriots on Oct. 3.

Another Tampa Bay cornerback from Auburn, Jamel Dean, missed that game because of a knee injury. But he contributed an interception in his return to the field on Sunday.

With Davis and Murphy-Bunting on IR and safety Antoine Winfield Jr. sidelined by a concussion, Bowles was especially glad to have Dean back.

“First, he’s a healthy body,” Bowles said, “so we’re good having healthy bodies back there. But he brings stability because he’s been in the system two years, and he understands it and he can explain it to some of the guys, and he gives you a little comfort level from not having to teach something new to another guy in trying to keep the secondary partially intact.”

Bowles expects Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts to challenge whoever plays in the Tampa Bay defense on Thursday.

“It’s tough because he keeps you honest -- anybody that can throw like a pro quarterback and run like a running back,” Bowles said. “He has elusiveness as well. He’s very bright, and he’s very tough to bring down, so if you try to attack him too much, he’s going to hurt you down the field and if you don’t attack him enough, he’s going to hurt you with his legs, so he keeps you very honest.”

The Buccaneers and Eagles are scheduled to kick off at 7:20 p.m. CDT Thursday at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. FOX, NFL Network and Amazon will televise the game.

Auburn NFL roundup: Bengals’ C.J. Uzomah celebrates the day with 2 touchdowns

Updated: Oct. 25, 2021, 12:15 a.m. | Published: Oct. 25, 2021, 12:15 a.m.

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

In the first 72 games of C.J. Uzomah’s NFL career, the Cincinnati Bengals tight end caught 132 passes for 1,302 yards and 11 touchdowns.

In his past three games, Uzomah has caught 13 passes for 217 yards and five touchdowns, which includes Sunday’s performance. In the Bengals’ 41-17 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, Uzomah caught three passes for 91 yards and two touchdowns.

Uzomah scored Cincinnati’s first touchdown on a 55-yard reception with 6:29 left in the first half as the Bengals took a 10-3 lead.

The reception was the longest play of Uzomah’s NFL career, eclipsing a 54-yard reception against the New York Jets in the first game of the 2016 season.

Uzomah caught a 32-yard touchdown pass as Cincinnati went in front for good with a 20-17 lead with 13:20 left in the third quarter.

The 32-yard touchdown reception was the second-longest scoring play of Uzomah’s career, behind the 55-yarder earlier in the game. Before Sunday, the longest of Uzomah’s touchdown receptions had been a 31-yarder against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 30.

“The first play was designed for C.J.,” Cincinnati coach Zac Taylor said of the 55-yard touchdown pass. “We just had a ton of confidence in him. C.J. started off last year with a bang in his first two games before he got hurt, and it was hard to see in training camp how he was responding to that physically. But he’s found his spot. (Quarterback) Joe (Burrow) has a lot of confidence in him, and he always makes plays when his number is called. He broke a bunch of tackles on both of his touchdowns, so it was good to see C.J. do that.

“And it was National Tight Ends Day today, so that kind plays into it as well.”

An Achilles-tendon injury limited Uzomah to two games in the 2020 season, but he got his legs back under him in time for the NFL’s National Tight Ends Day promotion on Sunday, with its motto of “Block Release Catch Spike.”

“It’s the best National Tight Ends Day I’ve had,” Uzomah said. “It was a lot of fun out there.”

Burrow said he was well aware of the significance of the day.

“Yeah, that’s all I heard about,” Burrow said. “It’s National Tight Ends Day.”

On his 55-yard touchdown reception, Uzomah was covered by Marlon Humphrey, Baltimore’s Pro Bowl cornerback. Uzomah was asked after the game if he expected to get matched against a player as accomplished as Humphrey.

“Hell no, are you kidding me?” Uzomah said. “I looked up, and I was like, ‘OK.’ I wasn’t prepared for it, but it’s National Tight Ends Day. You’ve got to make something happen. You can’t let anybody else have all the fun. Even though I caught the touchdown, (tight end) Drew (Sample) had to block Calais Campbell one-on-one and did a hell of a job. If he didn’t block him the way he did, Joe would not have been able to get the ball off. That touchdown is for Drew for sure. That block really helped me to get open.”

The victory allowed Cincinnati to pull even with Baltimore at the top of the AFC North standings with 5-2 records. While Sunday’s game was the Ravens’ first against a division opponent in 2021, the Bengals are now 2-0 within the division this season.

Cincinnati hasn’t had a winning record since 2015 and already has more victories this season than it had in any of the previous three. But Uzomah isn’t looking back at the Bengals’ days as the division’s doormat.

“I don’t consider it the end of anything, because I have a very short-term memory,” Uzomah said. “This year is unique for me. It’s the start of something which we have been working on since OTAs. It’s something coach Taylor has been trying to implement since he’s gotten here. Now we’re just out there making plays and having fun.

“On the sideline, I was a little emotional as to how connected we were. You see everyone juiced for every single play out there. That’s what it’s all about. It’s the start of something new, something good.”

Uzomah was among the 16 former Auburn players who got on the field on the seventh Sunday of the NFL’s 102nd season. 

One other former Auburn player was involved in the Cincinnati-Baltimore game:

· Josh Bynes started at middle linebacker for the Ravens. Bynes made six tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage.

In the other Sunday games:

Atlanta Falcons 30, Miami Dolphins 28

· Falcons linebacker Daren Bates made one tackle on special teams in his debut game in his ninth NFL season. Bates was elevated from Atlanta’s practice squad after signing with the team last week.

· Dolphins defensive back Javaris Davis is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Falcons defensive lineman Marlon Davidson (Greenville) made two tackles.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps for three punts, three field goals and three extra points.

· Dolphins cornerback Noah Igbinoghene (Hewitt-Trussville) was designated as a game-day inactive.

New York Giants 25, Carolina Panthers 3

· Derrick Brown started at defensive tackle for the Panthers. Brown made six tackles, recorded a sack and registered two tackles for loss. Brown’s sack was his second of the season and first since the season-opener, and his tackle total was the best of his career.

· Panthers guard Mike Horton is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Darius Slayton started at wide receiver for the Giants. Slayton caught five passes for 63 yards. He had missed the previous three games because of a hamstring injury.

Tennessee Titans 27, Kansas City Chiefs 3

· Prince Tega Wanogho (Edgewood Academy) was designated as a game-day inactive.

New England Patriots 54, New York Jets 13

· Patriots defensive tackle Byron Cowart is on the physically unable to perform list and not eligible to play.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones is on injured reserve. New England placed Jones on the injury list on Saturday with a shoulder ailment. He will have to miss at least the next two games, too.

· Patriots linebacker Brandon King (Thompson) made two tackles on special teams.

· Jets defensive end Carl Lawson is on injured reserve.

· Jamien Sherwood started at linebacker for the Jets. Sherwood made two tackles.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham is on the physically unable to perform list and not eligible to play.

Las Vegas Raiders 33, Philadelphia Eagles 22

· Peyton Barber was designated as a game-day inactive. A toe injury kept Barber sidelined for a third straight game.

· Daniel Carlson made field goals of 28 and 39 yards and connected on 3-of-4 extra points. His miss hit the left upright. Carlson’s first field goal came with two seconds left in the second quarter as Las Vegas took a 17-7 halftime lead.

· Jack Driscoll started at right guard for the Eagles.

· Eagles punter Arryn Siposs averaged 47.7 yards on three punts, with a net of 42.7 yards. Siposs had a 46-yard punt that resulted in a fair catch at the Las Vegas 28-yard line, a 45-yarder that resulted in a fair catch at the Las Vegas 4 and a 52-yarder that was returned 15 yards to the 50-yard line.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 38, Chicago Bears 3

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive tackle for the Bears. Blackson made two tackles.

· Buccaneers inside linebacker K.J. Britt (Oxford) made two tackles.

· Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis is on injured reserve.

· Jamel Dean started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Dean made seven tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, before leaving the game with a shoulder injury.

Indianapolis Colts 30, San Francisco 49ers 18

· Forty-Niners offensive tackle Shon Coleman is on injured reserve.

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) made one tackle.

· Colts offensive tackle Braden Smith was designated as a game-day inactive. Foot and thumb injuries caused Smith to miss his sixth straight game.

Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Derrick Brown

Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Derrick Brown (95) tackles New York Giants running back Devontae Booker during an NFL game on Sunday, Oct. 24, 2021, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Patriots CB Jonathan Jones reportedly out for season, will undergo shoulder surgery

By Nicole Yang Globe Staff,Updated October 25, 2021, 11:59 a.m.

The Patriots have lost cornerback Jonathan Jones for the season, according to NFL Network.

Jones was placed on injured reserve Saturday, which meant he would be sidelined at least three games. But he is now scheduled to undergo shoulder surgery Monday, ending his year.

In six games this season, Jones played an important role on both defense and special teams, recording 20 tackles and an interception. He is under contract through the 2022 season.

Without Jones (and Stephon Gilmore), the Patriots will continue to be tested in the defensive backfield.

J.C. Jackson and Jalen Mills will lead the cornerbacks, with Myles Bryant, Joejuan Williams, and rookie Shaun Wade all in the mix. D’Angelo Ross is also an option off the practice squad.

• Sad 2

C.J. Uzomah had a good reason for not getting tackled on his two touchdown catches

Mike Florio

1 day ago

Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah celebrated National Tight End Day with a couple of long catches and runs for touchdowns. On both plays, he got away from the last Baltimore defender who had a shot to bring him down.

For one, it was a quick shove that sprang Uzomah. For the other, it was a nifty stop-and-start move. He had a very good reason for both evasive maneuvers.

Uzomah told PFT by phone after the game that the Cincinnati offense has a rule. If you’re tackled by the last man, you must perform 15 pushups in front of the entire offense. Uzomah had no interest in doing that.

“Hey look, I do pushups on my own time,” Uzomah said. “I’m not trying to do them in front of the team.”

The two touchdowns give Uzomah a career high of five, with 10 games still to play. He’ll likely have a few more this season, at a minimum. The 5-2 Bengals likely will have a ew more wins, too, at a minimum.

• Haha 1

Jaguars expanding Rudy Ford’s role in secondary

Updated: Nov. 06, 2021, 11:12 a.m. | Published: Nov. 06, 2021, 11:12 a.m.

When Urban Meyer and the Jacksonville staff were combing through the players poised to become NFL free agents this offseason, the Jaguars first-year coach saw a player who puzzled him.

In his first four NFL seasons, safety Rudy Ford had developed into one of the league’s top special-teams players, but he hadn’t received much of an opportunity do more than that.

“When we were doing the free agency back in February,” Meyer said on Wednesday, “I remember I watched him probably 100 times, and I said, ‘My gosh, this guy’s got elite speed. He’s tough as nails.’ We kept doing research: Why hasn’t he played on defense? And then, he’s proven that he can.”

A sixth-round draft choice from Auburn in 2017, Ford split his first four NFL seasons between the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles. Before this season, he had been on the field for 806 special-teams plays and 125 defensive snaps in 41 regular-season games.

Jacksonville signed Ford in March to a two-year, $4.2 million contract.

Ford has taken 116 defensive snaps for the Jaguars in seven games this season, with 25 in a 23-20 victory over the Miami Dolphins and 36 in a 31-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in Jacksonville’s past two games.

“Rudy Ford’s been one of our most productive players,” Meyer said. “He’s fast as fast, and he’s aggressive. He’s one of the best special-teams players I’ve ever seen. We need his speed, and Tre (Herndon)’s still battling a little bit with that knee, so he’s earned that, and he’ll play more.”

Earlier in the season, Ford’s defensive work came as an extra safety in dime packages. But in the past two games, he has spelled Herndon as the Jaguars’ slot corner.

The Jaguars play Buffalo on Sunday, and Jacksonville’s slot corner will have to contend with Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley, who caught 10 passes for 110 yards in a 26-11 victory over Miami in last week’s game.

“Rudy’s an explosive guy, and he just continues to get better,” Jaguars defensive coordinator Joe Cullen said. “He did a great job on special teams, and then we created some packages for him. He did a great job. And now we’re expanding that role because he is fast, he is explosive, and we’re excited about moving forward with Rudy getting more reps.”

Ford established a career high with five tackles against Seattle in Jacksonville’s previous game, when he played 63 percent of the Jaguars’ defensive snaps. Ford had played more defensive snaps than he did against the Seahawks in only two previous games – his two NFL starts, with 52 for the Cardinals on Oct. 18, 2018, and 41 for the Eagles on Jan. 3, 2021.

Ford jumped in at slot corner even though he hadn’t played that spot since his time at Auburn.

“My mindset is just to go and help, you know,” Ford told Sports Illustrated this week. “I’m saying just to help our team. My mindset is keep going out, play at a high level and to go in anywhere the team asks and make sure I’m there to help our team, you know, to keep building this team and to keep helping us continue to try to elevate each and every week. That’s kind of my mindset is how can I become better, how can we become better as an organization.”

Ford grew up in the Big Cove community and was an All-State running back at New Hope High School in 2012, when he scored 27 touchdowns for the Indians.

Ford made the transition from running back to defensive back in his first season at Auburn. Although he still ran for 79 yards and one touchdown on eight carries during his time with the Tigers, Ford became a three-year starter in Auburn’s secondary.

The Jaguars and Bills are scheduled to square off at noon CST Sunday at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida.

• Like 1

Auburn NFL roundup: Rudy Ford keys Jaguars’ upset of Bills

Updated: Nov. 07, 2021, 10:01 p.m. | Published: Nov. 07, 2021, 10:01 p.m.

Entering Sunday’s game at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida, the Buffalo Bills ranked as the NFL’s highest scoring team with an average of 32.7 points per game in the 2021 season. That had helped Buffalo build a 5-2 record.

The Bills’ opponents, the Jacksonville Jaguars, had allowed at least 20 points in every game on their way to a 1-6 record this season.

But Buffalo pulled off an improbable 9-6 upset on Sunday in the first start of the season for Jacksonville defensive back Rudy Ford.

“I just take everything one day at a time,” Ford said. “I love my teammates. I love coach (Urban) Meyer, this organization just believing in me and giving me the opportunity to go and to help this team. …

“We just all went out there and believed in each other and played great complementary football across the board.”

One of the NFL’s top special-teams players, Ford’s role with the Jacksonville defense has been growing. The former New Hope High School and Auburn standout played a season-high 25 defensive snaps two games ago, then had 36 defensive snaps in the Jaguars’ previous game.

On Sunday, Ford made the third start of his NFL career, worked mainly as a slot corner instead of his traditional safety position and came away with the best game of his five pro seasons.

Ford made a career-high seven tackles – six on defense and one on special teams – intercepted one pass and broke up two more passes. Before Sunday’s game, Ford did not have an interception or pass breakup in 48 NFL regular-season games.

“When you watch him play, he’s one of our better players,” Meyer said, “and I know he hasn’t gotten many opportunities in the NFL, but he’s a hell of a player.”

With Buffalo at the Jacksonville 25-yard line on its first possession of the second half, Ford picked off a third-and-3 throw by quarterback Josh Allen to slot receiver Cole Beasley and returned it 8 yards to the Jaguars 27 to maintain a 6-6 tie.

“I felt comfortable today,” Ford said. “Coach had a great game plan. Just thankful for my God-given ability and coaches and players just believing. Just a great team win today. …

“I’m just thankful for the opportunity, and, you know, when your number’s called, be ready to answer.”

Ford was among the 13 former Auburn players who got on the field on the ninth Sunday of the NFL’s 102nd season.

One other former Auburn player was involved in the Buffalo-Jacksonville game:

· Jaguars safety Daniel Thomas (Lee-Montgomery) played but did not record any stats.

In the other Sunday games:

Baltimore Ravens 34, Minnesota Vikings 31 (OT)

· Josh Bynes started at middle linebacker for the Ravens. Bynes led Baltimore with 11 tackles, recorded a tackle for loss and broke up a pass. The TFL came on a first-and-10 snap at the Baltimore 16-yard line after an interception by Minnesota, and the Vikings had to settle for a field goal on the series for a 17-3 lead with 1:25 left in the first half.

New England Patriots 24, Carolina Panthers 6

· Derrick Brown started at defensive tackle for the Panthers. Brown made three tackles and knocked down a pass.

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart is on the physically-unable-to-perform list and not eligible to play.

· Panthers guard Mike Horton is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones is on injured reserve.

· Patriots linebacker Brandon King (Thompson) made a special-teams tackle.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham is on the physically-unable-to-perform list and not eligible to play.

Cleveland Browns 41, Cincinnati Bengals 16

· Anthony Schwartz started for the Browns. Schwartz caught a 15-yard pass.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. Uzomah caught four passes for 24 yards.

Denver Broncos 30, Dallas Cowboys 16

· Broncos wide receiver Seth Williams (Paul Bryant) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Miami Dolphins 17, Houston Texans 9

· Dolphins defensive back Javaris Davis is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Dolphins cornerback Noah Igbinoghene (Hewitt-Trussville) dressed for the game but did not play.

Atlanta Falcons 27, New Orleans Saints 25

· Saints defensive tackle Montravius Adams was designated as a game-day inactive.

· Falcons linebacker Daren Bates made a tackle on special teams.

· Marlon Davidson (Greenville) started at defensive end for the Falcons. In his first NFL start, Davidson made two tackles.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps on five punts, three extra points and two field goals.

New York Giants 23, Las Vegas Raiders 16

· Raiders running back Peyton Barber was designated as a game-day inactive.

· Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson made three field goals and one extra point. Carlson connected on field goals of 25, 32 and 25 yards, but he was wide left on a 25-yard attempt with 9:28 left in the game. The miss left New York with a 20-16 lead. Before Sunday’s miss, Carlson had made all 32 of his field-goal attempts of fewer than 30 yards during his NFL career.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton did not have any receptions. He was targeted once in the game.

Los Angeles Chargers 27, Philadelphia Eagles 24

· Jack Driscoll started at right guard for the Eagles.

· Eagles punter Arryn Siposs averaged 43.3 yards, with a 40.0-yard net, on three punts. Siposs had a 44-yard punt downed at the Los Angeles 1-yard line, a 44-yarder returned 10 yards to the Philadelphia 38 and a 42-yarder downed at the Los Angeles 34.

Kansas City Chiefs 13, Green Bay Packers 7

· Chiefs offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho (Edgewood Academy) was designated as a game-day inactive.

Arizona Cardinals 31, San Francisco 49ers 17

· Forty-Niners offensive tackle Shon Coleman is on injured reserve.

· Forty-Niner defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) is on injured reserve.

Week 9 kicked off with the Indianapolis Colts beating the New York Jets 45-30 on Thursday night. Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley (Theodore) made 10 tackles and defensive tackle Quinnen Williams (Wenonah) had eight.

Week 9 concludes with the Chicago Bears-Pittsburgh Steelers game at 7:15 p.m. CDT Monday at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. ESPN will televise the game.

I wonder if it just until Darnold comes back from his injury.

OFC, Darnold has played really bad lately, and with the Panthers sorry record for now, having Cam takes a little pressure off of Ruhle, bc Cam fans will just be happy to see him in a Panther jersey again.