2020 Softball Recruiting Thread

9 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Pannell committed to Coach Dean in early 2018.

Her comment was definitely a straight answer as to why she was looking elsewhere after committing to Auburn.

And i read an article early this year where she was asked a question: If you could have any teammate (no age restrictions), who would it be? KK Crocker (Auburn) was her answer.

And after Crocker decided to leave Auburn, I wonder if Pannell may have had second thoughts on if the Auburn softball program was having problems w/ players leaving, especially one she admired.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm concerned about the statement of having concerns around the program since the stuff from Myers time should not connect anything with Dean.

Therefore, are the concerns with Dean, which she committed too? 

Let's not read too much into this.  I think KK left because she thought that we were strong at middle infield and she wanted more playing time.  I loved that she was a great competitor who didn't want to ride the bench.  KK probably made a good choice leaving.  I think we've got some good new mid infielders on the team now so I'm not worried about next year.  War Eagle.  

11 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

Let's not read too much into this.  I think KK left because she thought that we were strong at middle infield and she wanted more playing time.  I loved that she was a great competitor who didn't want to ride the bench.  KK probably made a good choice leaving.  I think we've got some good new mid infielders on the team now so I'm not worried about next year.  War Eagle.  

I wasn't insinuating anything about why KK left. Unless KK said why she was leaving, I don't like to speculate.

My comment was about Pannell making a comment of how much she liked KK at Auburn, and since KK decided to leave, Pannell may have started to have doubts about her commitment. Remember this girl committed when I think she was like 13 or 14, so who knows what a young teenagers mind is thinking.

Well, Coach Dean has lost a top recruit that has now committed uat. Bad enough that Barnhart didn’t stick with her long time commitment to AU, uat has join all the other top programs and dismantling our long time and top recruits. This will not breed a successful program  

• 2 weeks later...

We have six commitments for 2020 - all of whom are in ExtraInning’s top 100 players. The guy who does these rankings used to FloSoftballs. 

Sydney Cox, MIF, Carolina Cardinals - ranked #93 - Don’t know much about her.

Kelsey Schmidt, OF, Beverly Bandits - ranked #77 - committed to Dean at JMU and switched her commitment when he came to Auburn.

Denver Bryant, SS/OF, TN Mojo - ranked #22 - played baseball majority of life, including on USA Junior Women’s Baseball Team.

Paige Geraghty, OF, Beverly Bandits - ranked #21 - Flipped from LA Lafayette and former Auburn hitting coach Gerry Glasco.

Shelby Lowe, P, Birmingham Thunderbolts - ranked #11 - Lefty that led her team to a PGF 16U championship in 2018 - one of the top 5 pitchers in the class.

Maddie Penta, P, PA Chaos - ranked #3 - also one of the top 5 pitchers in the class. 

While I do not necessarily agree with all their rankings, this is still the best pitching class in the country. Both Lowe and Penta are game changing, strikeout pitchers. I think Dean will be able to recreate the success he had at JMU with these two and KK Dismukes over the next few years.

The position players are solid pickups for Dean. They seem to be very athletic and fast. Both Bryant and Geraghty have come on strong over the past year. 

If you mix in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes, we should start seeing similar success that we did Myers, just might be led by pitching rather than hitting.

Jad0003 thanks for the update.  I did not have Sydney Cox or Paige Geraghty on my list.  Presuming this class holds up and the quality of our most recent class I believe we should have some very good players going forward. Agree that we could have a strong pitching rotation with the talent in this class especially if Dismukes  is as good as advertised.  

I don’t know much about Cox either. ExtraInnings said she plays shortstop and hits for a high average (.655, 5 HR, only struck out three times all season). This was school ball in North Carolina, so I am unsure of the competition level. 

Geraghty and Schmidt are both very fast outfielders that play for the same 18U Beverly Bandits team. Geraghty can bunt, slap, and hit for power, while Schmidt is more of a power hitter.

Bryant seems to be an incredible athlete that makes outstanding plays in the field and hits for a lot of power.

Both Bryant and Geraghty both jumped significantly in the rankings since last year, so I guess they had very good years at the 16U level. 

Like I said In my earlier post. Lowe and Penta are two of the top pitchers in the class. They are the aces for their club and high school teams, so they pitch a lot of innings. Lowe might get some support on the Thunderbolts this year with Alabama commit, Jaala Torrence, moving up. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Dean rest their arms next fall like he has done with KK this fall.

Jad003, good updates and I had those commits listed as well and they will help our program. However, we can't lose the kind of high quality commits in the '21 and '22 classes the caliber of Barnhart (to Alabama over Auburn) and Pannell who are both in the top five players within their respective classes. Don't need rankings if you've had the pleasure of seeing these two play the game to see how special they are. It is what it is. Pannell committed to Dean, not Myers and now has removed her commitment. Those are just hard to overcome. 

Appreciate your input and thanks for the information on the '20 recruits. 

I can’t argue with not losing top recruits - especially two of the caliber of Barnhart and Pannell. 

We still have a number of really good recruits in the 2021 and 2022 class at the moment. These classes were majorly affect by the recruiting rules though and some turnover, even if they committed to Dean, might be expected.

I’m hopeful Penta and Lowe can have an immediate impact to prove to recruits that Dean can win. This could go a long way in getting someone like Pannell back on the commit list. 

FloSoftball doing their rankings now. Flo does a true top 100 whereas ExtraInnings Softball shows ties and has more like 125 - 130 players in their top 100.

Sydney Cox at #100 (#93 for EIS)

Kelsey Schmidt at #96 (#77)

Paige Geraghty at #63 (#21)

Denver Bryant at #20 (#22)

Shelby Lowe at #8 (#11)

Maddie Penta at #2 (#3)

Another 2020 player who has visited Auburn recently is 3B Zoe Laneaux from Georgia Impact - Lewis. She is ranked #48 for EIS and #23 for Flo. She has also visited South Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi State (where she was once committed).

You can probably find some truth somewhere between the two rankings. I think ExtraInnings put a little more emphasis on recent success in either 18U or 16U whereas Flo put more emphasis on ceiling and competition level (18U vs 16U). This would explain why Lowe was the 3rd best pitcher in Flo but 7th in EIS, and Geraghty was #21 in EIS but #63 for Flo.

Either way I think 3-5 players will have a big impact in either their freshman or sophomore year and beyond. 

Posted by Jad003

"Another 2020 player who has visited Auburn recently is 3B Zoe Laneaux from Georgia Impact - Lewis. She is ranked #48 for EIS and #23 for Flo. She has also visited South Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi State (where she was once committed)"

Saw on her Instagram page she is a SC commit.

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Posted by Jad003

"Another 2020 player who has visited Auburn recently is 3B Zoe Laneaux from Georgia Impact - Lewis. She is ranked #48 for EIS and #23 for Flo. She has also visited South Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi State (where she was once committed)"

I guess she committed in the past few days then.

Flosoftball just did an article on 2021 Auburn commit, Jessie Blaine.

9 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I guess she committed in the past few days then.

Flosoftball just did an article on 2021 Auburn commit, Jessie Blaine.

I have read a couple of other articles about her with a lot of that same info.  She really sounds interesting and hope she ends up in Auburn orange and blue.  

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Posted by Jad003

mmm. So let's see...she was a Miss St commit, then a SC commit, and now she is visiting AU? 

Does she really know where she wants to play? 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

mmm. So let's see...she was a Miss St commit, then a SC commit, and now she is visiting AU? 

Does she really know where she wants to play? 

She was a Mississippi State commit but with new recruiting rules backed off her pledge as we have noticed from a number of recruits.

She visited a few schools recently over the past few months, one of them being Auburn. Within the past day or two (after my initial post on her) she has committed to South Carolina. 

I wouldn't worry about a lot of movement through the '22 class. the 20's-22's were the ones caught in the middle of the rules changes. There have been a bunch who have changed around the country. One of AU's former committs just committed to UM which is the third school she has pledged to. I think there are more open spots for the 21's at big schools than I expected there to be at this point. Big time coaches are watching 21's at showcases this fall when it seemed like their classes would fill quickly. 

Archived