Trump has a “go back to Africa” moment

AUDub

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No, I’m not. 

When you insist I’m somehow breaking a rule when I told you that I know you are young but still understand the history of certain statements and that I know you aren’t naive, yes you are being sensitive. 

This subject is closed and we aren’t hiring for hall monitors. 

I never said racism was limited to the definition I gave. Wrong, the statements  fit into your definition of racism. Unfortunately, you’re not the arbiter of its scope. Why this triggers you is beyond me.

You are playing semantics games again, bogging down discussion in one of your meaningless vortexes instead of the actual subject at hand. It’s annoying.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When you insist I’m somehow breaking a rule when I told you that I know you are young but still understand the history of certain statements and that I know you aren’t naive, yes you are being sensitive. 

This subject is closed and we aren’t hiring for hall monitors. 

I’m sorry you feel that way. I won’t engage you further.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You're overthinking it.  What politicians do or call something when they are playing political strategy and what something is are often two different things.

It good to see how politician use less hyperbole than the media and never Trumpers.  They usually go for the emotional responses, got it.

That’s the problem. Anyone who disagrees with you is “simply making a fool” of themselves. This forum isn’t for you. 

That's not true.  There are plenty of people on this forum who disagree with me without making fools of themselves.  I can appreciate a contrary opinion if it's well thought out.

Arguing that what Trump said isn't actually racist isn't necessarily "foolish" per se',  but it is a pendantic, semantical argument that completely ignores the actual history and nature of racist thinking. 

Telling a person of color they should return to their country of origin is a classic racist trope.  (Us older folk with more personal experience than you have vividly remember it. And I know how much you esteem "personal experience" - right? ;))

Anyway, you seem quite ignorant of that history and perhaps the nature of racist thinking in general.  That's not your fault - it presumably reflects the non-racist environment you grew up in.  In some ways, your ignorance reflects an innocence about racism that is a good thing. 

It's doubling down on that ignorance that makes you appear foolish.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Come on, man.  Blowing things he says out of proportion is *sport* for the Media and leftist. If you look at what he says isn’t it more xenophobic than racist?  Or do these terms mesh together when it suits the cause?

Yes.  Actually, they often do.  In fact, they have more in common than in distinction.  

Racism is a type of xenophobia. 

Your inability to engage with a potential differing point of view is remarkable. 

1) It is absurd that you conclude I agree with Trump, or insinuate as much, in this instance on the basis of not endorsing your opinion on the matter. My goodness Homer. Do better. 

2) That someone doesn’t attribute racism in this matter does not demonstrate they agree with him......

1) I didn't conclude anything.  I said if you do, just say so.  That may imply you sound as if you agree with him, but that's not my fault.

2) Fair point, but you are clearly trying to excuse him by making absurd arguments that what he said isn't racist.  It is.

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

Of course past presidents who support a legal path to citizenship  are not racists.

But while support of such doesn't mean one isn't a racist, blatant racist comments and past behavior do.  

Racism is as racism does.  Trump is most certainly racist. 

You are in denial if you believe otherwise.

So are you for legal entry or not? The people you are defending are not. You know this. Your liberal interpretation/talking points notwithstanding.  

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

So are you for legal entry or not? The people you are defending are not. You know this. Your liberal interpretation/talking points notwithstanding.  

That’s such crap. Just because you don’t want illegals and asylum seekers locked up in camps, doesn’t mean you’re not “for legal entry” .

15 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

:bs:

Have you ever heard of the term Manichean?  If not, look it up.  You are a perfect example of someone with Manichean thinking.

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's not true.  There are plenty of people on this forum who disagree with me without making fools of themselves.  I can appreciate a contrary opinion if it's well thought out.

Arguing that what Trump said isn't actually racist isn't necessarily "foolish" per se',  but it is a pendantic, semantical argument that completely ignores the actual history and nature of racist thinking. 

Telling a person of color they should return to their country of origin is a classic racist trope.  (Us older folk with more personal experience than you have vividly remember it. And I know how much you esteem "personal experience" - right? ;))

Anyway, you seem quite ignorant of that history and perhaps the nature of racist thinking in general.  That's not your fault - it presumably reflects the non-racist environment you grew up in.  In some ways, your ignorance reflects an innocence about racism that is a good thing. 

It's doubling down on that ignorance that makes you appear foolish.

*Translation: if you disagree with me you’re foolish and ignorant. I will not accept any viewpoint other than mine!!*

You’re lucky I completely ignored the gross misrepresentation you made about me.

How pathetic.

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

*Translation: if you disagree with me you’re foolish and ignorant. I will not accept any viewpoint other than mine!!*

You’re lucky I completely ignored the gross misrepresentation you made about me.

How pathetic.

That isn't what he said at all.

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

1) I didn't conclude anything.  I said if you do, just say so.  That may imply you sound as if you agree with him, but that's not my fault.

2) Fair point, but you are clearly trying to excuse him by making absurd arguments that what he said isn't racist.  It is.

My god you’re horrible at arguing. Trying backing one thing up with an articulable standard. 

Quote my statement and justify the connotations you attach it. 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

That’s why it’s called a “translation.” 

Translation implies accuracy, which is the opposite of "what he actually said" in this case.

I think what you meant was "fanciful interpretation."

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Translation implies accuracy, which is the opposite of "what he actually said" in this case.

Ok “judge” Titan. I stand by my statement. Punish me.

Not a fanciful interpretation at all. Any conclusion other than "what Trump was was blatant racism," is foolish and ignorant... apparently.

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Ok “judge” Titan. I stand by my statement. Punish me.

Your self-imposed persecution complex is punishment enough.

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

How pathetic.

:dunno:

Do you always respond without even reading the post you are responding to?

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think what you meant was "fanciful interpretation."

Nah, it was more like a juvenile misrepresentation.

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Not a fanciful interpretation at all. Any conclusion other than "what Trump was was blatant racism," is foolish and ignorant... apparently.

Don't make generalizations.  My post was specifically about you.

Some people who don't recognize Trump's words as racist don't recognize the inherent racism in themselves.  They are also racists but don't think they are.

I gave you the benefit of doubt.  Due to your youth, I concluded you were simply ignorant of how "go back to the Africa (or whatever country) you came from" has been a common trope used historically by racists.  You're just too young to have the  personal experience ;) that would help you know any better. 

The foolish part comes from the denial of, and doubling down on, that ignorance, which is again, something that comes with youth. 

The good news is I don't think you are a racist or even bad person.  Arrogant maybe, but not bad.  (Arrogance is also very common in someone of your age.)

Don't worry, you'll probably improve with time.  Most of us do.

57 minutes ago, homersapien said:

:dunno:

Do you always respond without even reading the post you are responding to?

Not always. Sometimes. 

40 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Don't make generalizations.  My post was specifically about you.

Some people who don't recognize Trump's words as racist don't recognize the inherent racism in themselves.  They are also racists but don't think they are.

I gave you the benefit of doubt.  Due to your youth, I concluded you were simply ignorant of how "go back to the Africa (or whatever country) you came from" has been a common trope used historically by racists.  You're just too young to have the  personal experience ;) that would help you know any better. 

The foolish part comes from the denial of, and doubling down on, that ignorance, which is again, something that comes with youth. 

The good news is I don't think you are a racist or even bad person.  Arrogant maybe, but not bad.  (Arrogance is also very common in someone of your age.)

Don't worry, you'll probably improve with time.  Most of us do.

Youth has nothing to do with one's ability to maintain an articulable standard describing the basis for variations on viewpoints which constitute a matter of public discussion. Personal experience, as well as one's proximity to a time in history, actually helps to delineate opinions that do not mutually correspond. Nonetheless, you thrust your argument on personal experience. I don't have a problem with that, but if the goal is to argue for the reasonableness of your viewpoint, or alternatively the unsoundness of another viewpoint, you probably would want to rely on a notion that weighs in favor of objectivity. I can assure you that touting about personal experience does not accomplish that; it merely explains the basis of your view, it doesn't rebut differing views or warrant them "foolish" and/or "ignorant." 

You claim that the "foolish part comes from the denial of, and doubling down on, that ignorance, which is again, something that comes with youth." The inherent problem with this statement is, yet again, the subjective view it expounds; namely that I am purportedly just being ignorant. That you do not agree with my view, and your perception that somehow my view is necessarily devalued because of my age and my separation from historical precepts, does not demonstrably indicate I am somehow thereby ignorant. 

You have no reason to think I am racist or even a bad person. You also do not have any reason to think I am arrogant on the basis of our disagreement. That someone disagrees with you on a topic, and that that person is younger than you does not connote arrogance. 

I too hope I will improve with time. And yes, "most" people do; however, as you can personally testify to, not all people do. 😎

23 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That’s such crap. Just because you don’t want illegals and asylum seekers locked up in camps, doesn’t mean you’re not “for legal entry” .

Pay attention before posting. :blink:

On 7/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Woah!!.. I just got the mother of all facepalms!  LMAO!!... Thats awesome Titan! 

And ignorant but who is paying attention? 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

:bs:

Have you ever heard of the term Manichean?  If not, look it up.  You are a perfect example of someone with Manichean thinking.

Horse hockey.

Have you looked up idiot. If not, look it up. You are a perfect example of someone who is an idiot.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, SaturdayGT said:

I just dont fear for people of different races under this president. Im sorry, I just have not made the connection.... I know how trump is with his foes, and im just not convinced the color of their skin makes a difference when he goes on the attack. 

You've been paying attention grasshopper. :clap:

Archived