Watching games without cable

BJCrawford

I’m sorry if I should put this somewhere else, so move it if you must. I need help and some here seem to know about this. I use my cable tv to watch sports only and it’s ridiculously expensive since I don’t use even other basic channels. Some of you have indicated you stream the games. I am a novice at this and was hoping some of you could give me Feedback on the services that provide the best rates and include access to all sports stations. Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple that I am aware of that are more affordable than cable: PSVue, Sling, YoutubeTV, and HuluTV. With some of these apps, there is no limit to how many devices can access the same material at one time. To make the most affordable decision, trustworthy friends going in on it with you and everyone chipping in would be the best option. However, I am sure if you browse hard enough on the web, you could find someone streaming the game for free. These sites are usually not secure and leave you susceptible to viruses. 

I cut the cord about a month ago and got YouTube tv,  the biggest thing for me was being able to get the local stations (so I could see the local games), and that seemed to be a major plus for it when I was doing my research. YouTube TV is $50 a month, has all the main espn channels, including espnU and espn news, sec network, the Fox sports channels, nbc sports network, CBS sports network, and some others. Considering I only watch tv for sports, it’s all I need and around $40 cheaper than I was paying with charter.

I cut the cord a few years ago, but went back to cable after one season.  Streaming is about a minute behind the live action, and I would also we be on this website or twitter or get a text ruining the experience.  Plus ESPN freezes a lot while streaming.

2 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I cut the cord a few years ago, but went back to cable after one season.  Streaming is about a minute behind the live action, and I would also we be on this website or twitter or get a text ruining the experience.  Plus ESPN freezes a lot while streaming.

The delay does seem better than it used to be though. Only around 20-30 seconds now it seems. I’ve been lucky enough not to have had a single freeze when I’ve been watching since the switch, knock on wood lol. I also think that streaming has gotten to be such a big deal now that it is has to be reliable.  The individual apps themselves like espn, back when I would try to stream them off my Xbox, freeze galore, but YouTube tv has been solid for me so far.

I switched to AT&T u verse 1 GB internet service and use Directv Now streaming service in April 2018. I stream via an Amazon Firetv. I have not noticed any delay. DTN has different packages and has SEC network and all the ESPN channels plus local channels. Overall I have been pleased especially saving $50 a month for TV & internet.

Thanks all. I figure I will give it a go and if it does not work well I can switch back. I wish cable offered a sports only package!

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Thanks all. I figure I will give it a go and if it does not work well I can switch back. I wish cable offered a sports only package!

It wouldn't make much of a difference in price.  ESPN accounts for the largest chunk of any cable bill.

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I cut the cord about a month ago and got YouTube tv,  the biggest thing for me was being able to get the local stations (so I could see the local games), and that seemed to be a major plus for it when I was doing my research. YouTube TV is $50 a month, has all the main espn channels, including espnU and espn news, sec network, the Fox sports channels, nbc sports network, CBS sports network, and some others. Considering I only watch tv for sports, it’s all I need and around $40 cheaper than I was paying with charter.

This, Have used it for a year now and no complaints and fairly easy to navigate around. My father in law won’t try it because it’s a stranger to his comfort zone, but for real guys, it’s really easy to use. 

Same. Have to have Fox and CBS for NFL football Sundays.

14 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The delay does seem better than it used to be though. Only around 20-30 seconds now it seems. I’ve been lucky enough not to have had a single freeze when I’ve been watching since the switch, knock on wood lol.

Can’t remember which NBA game it was but you were way past me, so it can be tricky every now and then on gameday threads. Not sure if you were streaming then or not. I have Spectrum internet though and the internet isn’t that great. 

Be aware....there is some kind of problem with the NFL streams on reddit. I never found out what exactly the issue is because the thread seems to have been deleted. From what I could gather.....the NFL streams will be moved to Discord????

Maybe the NFL came after the redditors....not sure. But game streaming may not be available on reddit now. 

I have sling....who just increased my bill....again. It started out as a $20 package which I then upgraded for 5 bucks to include a sports package that allowed me to watch Auburn sports. Last year they again increased their price. Now they have gone up another $10 and I do have streaming problems with live games. So I'll be paying $120 total for both high speed internet from Cox and sling. Not sure it's worth that. I'm investigating other options right now. 

I switched from DirectTV to Hulu Live a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy. Advantage is lower price.  Biggest disadvantage as I see it is lack of functionality, like switching from one channel to another.  Takes longer. 

We use an antenna for the local stations, and bum off a family member to get access to the ESPN app. Then I stream to a TV with Chromecast. Sling TV is very affordable, $25-30 a month for the sports package, which seems like all you're wanting. Comes with NFL redzone too. I will be using that during football season. 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

We use an antenna for the local stations, and bum off a family member to get access to the ESPN app. Then I stream to a TV with Chromecast. Sling TV is very affordable, $25-30 a month for the sports package, which seems like all you're wanting. Comes with NFL redzone too. I will be using that during football season. 

What kind of antenna? How far away are you from broadcast towers too? 

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

@Maverick.AU Where do you live? Last time I checked Youtube TV wasn't available in Auburn.

• ellitor changed the title to Watching games without cable

I've had good luck with slingTv the past 2 football seasons.  I get the package that has ESPN and then pay the extra $5-10/month for the additional sports package that includes the SEC Network.  Total is about $30/month.  I've had no streaming/buffering issues. Like others have mentioned it is about a min behind so the bummer is I can't sync it with the radio broadcast like I used to do with cable.  I Really regret now listening to Rod the past 2 seasons.  

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The delay does seem better than it used to be though. Only around 20-30 seconds now it seems. I’ve been lucky enough not to have had a single freeze when I’ve been watching since the switch, knock on wood lol. I also think that streaming has gotten to be such a big deal now that it is has to be reliable.  The individual apps themselves like espn, back when I would try to stream them off my Xbox, freeze galore, but YouTube tv has been solid for me so far.

I'm about to do a free trial of YouTubeTV to see how it works.  The final straw for me was UVerse fighting with Nextstar, which meant I lost both CBS and NBC.  If I like the trial run, then I will be cutting cable for good.

Glad to hear it is working well for you.

10 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

I've had good luck with slingTv the past 2 football seasons.  I get the package that has ESPN and then pay the extra $5-10/month for the additional sports package that includes the SEC Network.  Total is about $30/month.  I've had no streaming/buffering issues. Like others have mentioned it is about a min behind so the bummer is I can't sync it with the radio broadcast like I used to do with cable.  I Really regret now listening to Rod the past 2 seasons.  

When you get the package that includes espn, do you have access to all of espn game plan games as well?

Go to Kim Komando’s website for help in choosing best streaming plans and best antenna for free tv. Great site for all digital advice, and she’s not bad looking either.

I'm still too chick $h!t to cut the cable.  Spectrum just jacked up my monthly bill an additional $17/mo for no reason.

I'm forking out $207/mo for internet, basic cable, house phone.  While I also pay for Netflix/Amazon prime which we watch both of those more than the regular cable channels.   :banghead:

One of these days I'll grow a pair and tell Spectrum to shove it.....I've been saying this for years.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Maverick.AU Where do you live? Last time I checked Youtube TV wasn't available in Auburn.

I live closer to Birmingham, so I get the Birmingham market. Here’s what I got when I looked for auburn

2C7A11B1-5768-45E2-B168-AC2AEE7D4040.jpeg

52 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

I'm about to do a free trial of YouTubeTV to see how it works.  The final straw for me was UVerse fighting with Nextstar, which meant I lost both CBS and NBC.  If I like the trial run, then I will be cutting cable for good.

Glad to hear it is working well for you.

That was just my experience, I’m sure others have had different experiences than me forsure. For me though, as someone that only uses tv for sports, it works perfectly for me. I tried it during the nba playoffs and was very happy with it. Considering I was already having to stream on the spectrum app on another tv Bc I didn’t have another  cable connect in that area of the house, it was a no brainer. Especially since the spectrum app was terrible, imo.

The Cable Guy is very hurt at the things that are being said in this thread. CUTTING THE CORD?! He wants to know why you do not need him anymore?!?! lol.

trtr.jpg

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm still too chick $h!t to cut the cable.  Spectrum just jacked up my monthly bill an additional $17/mo for no reason.

I'm forking out $207/mo for internet, basic cable, house phone.  While I also pay for Netflix/Amazon prime which we watch both of those more than the regular cable channels.   :banghead:

One of these days I'll grow a pair and tell Spectrum to shove it.....I've been saying this for years.

When you do, the biggest thing is having the luck of getting the right person. I got somebody that was very understanding and while she did try to offer me other things like house phone, streaming package etc, she wasn’t pushy about it. When I looked at the spectrum streaming package they were offering it was very lacking in sports, especially compared to YouTube tv. I just got tired of my bill going up every few months and decided I had had enough lol. I’m not missing it, I’m telling you that.

20 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I live closer to Birmingham, so I get the Birmingham market

The last time I checked was before last football season. Glad to see they picked it up a lot.

Archived