Watching games without cable

BJCrawford

19 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

So I just signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV.  Obviously, I'm not watching live college football at the moment, but so far I am really liking what I am seeing.  It is easy to use and streams flawlessly so far on my two Smart TV's.  I have not tried it on the TV on the deck yet, which is a ways away from our wireless router, so I may need a booster to get a good stream out there.

I'm a couple of days in to the trial and kind of kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I felt the same way, I put off cutting the cord and kept putting it off, finally made the switch and wondered why I waited so long.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, fishepa said:

Cut the cord months ago and use Hulu Live TV.  Love it, wish I had done it sooner.  

The only thing that put me off of Hulu was the talk about the delays vs cable as some said it was 1 and sometimes 2 minutes behind where as the people talking about YouTube tv only talked about it being 20-30 seconds behind cable. Still a delay nonetheless.

I cut the cord about 10 years ago. I've used sling the last 4 or 5 years; it was $5 more a month to get all the ESPN channels when I signed up.  I suspend service from middle of January through August to keep my original rate locked in.  I get my local channels for free through Xfinity...I guess since I'm already paying $90/mo just for internet they're willing to at least giving me one perk.

17 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The only thing that put me off of Hulu was the talk about the delays vs cable as some said it was 1 and sometimes 2 minutes behind where as the people talking about YouTube tv only talked about it being 20-30 seconds behind cable. Still a delay nonetheless.

There is definitely a delay.  Not that big of a deal to me though, I can work with it.

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

There is definitely a delay.  Not that big of a deal to me though, I can work with it.

Delay meaning a consistent amount of time behind the live broadcast and not buffering/lag issues, right? Except when the internet speeds are bad?

Also, for the Youtube TV folks: are there any sports you don't get? Does it give you literally everything? I need my soccer as much as I need my football. And much of my soccer isn't carried nationally or on any major networks. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Delay meaning a consistent amount of time behind the live broadcast and not buffering/lag issues, right? Except when the internet speeds are bad?

Also, for the Youtube TV folks: are there any sports you don't get? Does it give you literally everything? I need my soccer as much as I need my football. And much of my soccer isn't carried nationally or on any major networks. 

Yes, I don't get any buffering.  My connection is Charter cable 200 down/8 up or something like that.  I think the Hulu broadcast is at least 30 seconds delayed from when I had cable.  

On 7/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Be aware....there is some kind of problem with the NFL streams on reddit. I never found out what exactly the issue is because the thread seems to have been deleted. From what I could gather.....the NFL streams will be moved to Discord????

Maybe the NFL came after the redditors....not sure. But game streaming may not be available on reddit now. 

I have sling....who just increased my bill....again. It started out as a $20 package which I then upgraded for 5 bucks to include a sports package that allowed me to watch Auburn sports. Last year they again increased their price. Now they have gone up another $10 and I do have streaming problems with live games. So I'll be paying $120 total for both high speed internet from Cox and sling. Not sure it's worth that. I'm investigating other options right now. 

Have you made changes to Sling to warrant your bill increasing? Every time you add a tier or basically make any type of change to the programming Sling will bring you up to date on the current rate.  I have all the base channels (orange and blue) the kids, and the sports package for $50 and they have not increased for me despite the increases.  Changing the package basically cancels your current subscription and starts over with current rates.  So I realized I am content with what I have and no need to add anything else, or take away for that matter since I would end up paying more.  I have been fine with Sling on the Roku.  It works for me.  Their phone app got screwed up though with an update about a year ago.  Unless you are using wifi, the app crashes shortly after starting a channel to watch.  Very very frustrating when you would like to watch on the go. 

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The YouTube TV package depends on your area, but mine gets NBC Sports and FS1 and FS2. That covers Premier League and Champions League, which is enough for me. 

1 hour ago, hqsi99 said:

The YouTube TV package depends on your area, but mine gets NBC Sports and FS1 and FS2. That covers Premier League and Champions League, which is enough for me. 

Also to suppliment @McLoofus ESPN+ has a lot of soccer & is still only $4.99 a month.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also to suppliment @McLoofus ESPN+ has a lot of soccer & is still only $4.99 a month.

I might have to bite the bullet on that. 2 Atlanta United games in the last month or two. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I might have to bite the bullet on that. 2 Atlanta United games in the last month or two. 

& you can cancel any months if there are times you aren't watching much soccer.

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Have you made changes to Sling to warrant your bill increasing? Every time you add a tier or basically make any type of change to the programming Sling will bring you up to date on the current rate.  I have all the base channels (orange and blue) the kids, and the sports package for $50 and they have not increased for me despite the increases.  Changing the package basically cancels your current subscription and starts over with current rates.  So I realized I am content with what I have and no need to add anything else, or take away for that matter since I would end up paying more.  I have been fine with Sling on the Roku.  It works for me.  Their phone app got screwed up though with an update about a year ago.  Unless you are using wifi, the app crashes shortly after starting a channel to watch.  Very very frustrating when you would like to watch on the go. 

No changes....and I realize all that. I got the sling sports package originally so that I would have the SEC Network and all the ESPN channels and it was $25. sling has increased the same package twice and it is now 40 bucks. They sent me an email  both times letting me know that my cost has gone up for the same package The first increase was $5 and this last one is for $ 10.00. I have now had sling for a little over 3 years. Buffering is becoming a much bigger problem than it was in the beginning. My sling is on a Roku.

Not sure I'm staying with sling.....

I am a cord cutter as well. Another vote for YouTubeTV. With the ESPN's and the local channels you can see every AU game for 50 bucks a month. The stream is consistent and very rarely freezes. I wouldn't go back to cable...haven't missed it one bit and I am enjoying the extra green in my wallet! 🤗

11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

No changes....and I realize all that. I got the sling sports package originally so that I would have the SEC Network and all the ESPN channels and it was $25. sling has increased the same package twice and it is now 40 bucks. They sent me an email  both times letting me know that my cost has gone up for the same package The first increase was $5 and this last one is for $ 10.00. I have now had sling for a little over 3 years. Buffering is becoming a much bigger problem than it was in the beginning. My sling is on a Roku.

Not sure I'm staying with sling.....

Interesting.  If mine actually increases I probably won't either.  They do have a tempting promotion now to basically get everything, all tiers for $60. Just don't want to move from $50 lol. 

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Interesting.  If mine actually increases I probably won't either.  They do have a tempting promotion now to basically get everything, all tiers for $60. Just don't want to move from $50 lol. 

They would have to find a solution for buffering before I'd go that high. I have high speed internet so not sure why it has become such an issue. 

10 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

They would have to find a solution for buffering before I'd go that high. I have high speed internet so not sure why it has become such an issue. 

I've heard great things about YouTube TV, fwiw. Probably what I will switch to once my current contract is up.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, Barnacle said:

I've heard great things about YouTube TV, fwiw. Probably what I will switch to once my current contract is up.

Yeah I'm investigating it. I think it may be the best option if I leave sling.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, keesler said:

I'm still too chick $h!t to cut the cable.  Spectrum just jacked up my monthly bill an additional $17/mo for no reason.

I'm forking out $207/mo for internet, basic cable, house phone.  While I also pay for Netflix/Amazon prime which we watch both of those more than the regular cable channels.   :banghead:

One of these days I'll grow a pair and tell Spectrum to shove it.....I've been saying this for years.

Do it!

we had the same set up as you plus more cost due to dvr’s.  We saved nearly $150 a month.  Dropped our house phone also.  Started w sling O&B then switched to Hulu w live tv - we didn’t have great luck w hd antennas.

There will be a little bit of a learning curve.  There will be a few things that you’ll realize don’t work the same as cable.  But it’s all worth it.  Also you can switch services every month till you find what you like best.

Does YouTube TV have the SEC alternate channels? Seems like our BB games are always starting out on an alt channel.

3 hours ago, AUBourne said:

Does YouTube TV have the SEC alternate channels? Seems like our BB games are always starting out on an alt channel.

I’m not sure on that part yet, but if not, you can always use your YouTube tv login on the espn app, and should be able to get it 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m not sure on that part yet, but if not, you can always use your YouTube tv login on the espn app, and should be able to get it 

Bingo! You TV is like any other tv provider. I am always logged in to my sports apps with provider in case of such occurances.

6 hours ago, AUBourne said:

No it doesn’t.

14 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Also you can switch services every month till you find what you like best.

This is what’s most enjoyable to me. The flexibility. After the NBA season ended, I stopped using YouTube TV because there is nothing I care to watch right now anyway. August 20th I’ll pick it back up. 

In the meantime, Netflix and Amazon prime will have to do. 

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No it doesn’t.

Don’t need it though. People can use their YouTube TV login credentials on the watch ESPN app to watch games that aren’t on a major ESPN network at the time.

Archived