ESPN'S SEC West Preview

Auctoritas

8 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If you want to fix scheduling they need to adopt this format. It preserves every major rivalry and the eight game schedule. Instead we're stuck with this imbalanced boondoggle because Alabama loves whipping Tennessee every year and the masochists at UT enjoy it. Our conference schedule is going to be absurd until Saban dies on the sideline (unlikely) or the NCAA decides to pay a visit to Athens (and then Georgia Southern goes on probation). We need to stop scheduling really really good teams OOC.. Stop playing Clemson, start playing Boston College. Don't play Washington and Oregon, play Arizona and Colorado. We're not going to be penalized for it because of how difficult the league is every year. Our upcoming series with Cal, Baylor, and UCLA are excellent decisions. 

I love this scheduling idea and doing away with divisions.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I like everything about that setup. I would say it could be an issue when we have to play Alabama in back to back weeks for the title when we are their only loss, but once Saban leaves we will go back to beating them more often than not anyways. 

There's no reason that the UA game should or needs to be the last game of the season.  Have it rotate along with the rest of the schedule.

Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

Hey, I didn't say full on sympathetic. The collapse of 2014 and whatever 2015 and 2018 were still burn me to my core. 

No reason to leave out 2016 in this list.  Gus should've been fired after that season.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Defense did everything they possibly could to help the offense . I am down for getting on the defense for Mississippi state game, but if you are really trying to blame the defense for Tennessee and LSU ...

Not trying to jump in really, just wanted to add that the officiating was not ideal for LSU.  Not making excuses.  I just remember prominent posters posting after the game (I think JMR was one?) that is what cost us.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Not trying to jump in really, just wanted to add that the officiating was not ideal for LSU.  Not making excuses.  I just remember prominent posters posting after the game (I think JMR was one?) that is what cost us.  

The officials had nothing to do with Gus' offensive (pun intended) play calling so I'm gonna have to disagree.

15 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If you want to fix scheduling they need to adopt this format. It preserves every major rivalry and the eight game schedule. Instead we're stuck with this imbalanced boondoggle because Alabama loves whipping Tennessee every year and the masochists at UT enjoy it. Our conference schedule is going to be absurd until Saban dies on the sideline (unlikely) or the NCAA decides to pay a visit to Athens (and then Georgia Southern goes on probation). We need to stop scheduling really really good teams OOC.. Stop playing Clemson, start playing Boston College. Don't play Washington and Oregon, play Arizona and Colorado. We're not going to be penalized for it because of how difficult the league is every year. Our upcoming series with Cal, Baylor, and UCLA are excellent decisions. 

I agree to an extent.  Remember when you schedule teams, it is so far in advance you don’t know how good they will be.  Clemson was not near this good when they were scheduled for the home/away.  But even if we did know, I want the hard schedule personally.  That leaves no doubt when we are in the discussion and allows for more leniency if we lose.  I also think it leaves little room for the players to become complacent with smaller games and the risk of upsets.  

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The officials had nothing to do with Gus' offensive (pun intended) play calling so I'm gonna have to disagree.

Below is a quote taken from JMR who gives really good breakdowns if you have never seen his articles posted here.  Not to mention great podcasts before and after every game.  Here was his reasoning:

On 9/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, JMR said:
Things I Think I Saw:
  • I am not one to believe “the officials are out to get us.” But LSU, which has had problems with their offensive line this season, obviously made a conscious decision to hold until the officials called it. They never did call it, and the holding was rampant on both pass and run plays from beginning to end. I’ll admit, the no-call on Greedy Williams holding Darius Slayton with both hands in clear view of a huge play, followed by the tacky PI call on Jamel Dean, did make me consider jumping over to the conspiracy side of things.

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is another thing that drives me up the wall. The inconsistency of PI every freaking Saturday. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not SEC West but I had nowhere else to put this. So what better place than here?! lol

What does who you like in high school have to do with the school you like to tranfer. And who is Maria Martin? A model?

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not SEC West but I had nowhere else to put this. So what better place than here?! lol

Missouri is a better lane for him to look like a NFL prospect at his current position, granted. but he was definitely going to look better on this level on this team

40 minutes ago, creed said:

What does who you like in high school have to do with the school you like to tranfer. And who is Maria Martin? A model?

Because he took a couple of visits here when he was looking to transfer from clemson and it came down to us and Mizzou. They are just trying to illustrate how close it was between us and Mizzou regarding his decision probaly if I had to guess.  She is a Reporter for WSFA 12 news. Her twitter header pic is one of her and BRUUUUUUUUUUUUCE in a sit down interview.

37 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Missouri is a better lane for him to look like a NFL prospect at his current position, granted. but he was definitely going to look better on this level on this team

He might get better QB coaching. Well he will but I don’t think it make his performance any better playing with that squad. 

Bryant was told he would be the starter at Mizzou.  Auburn told him he could compete to be the starter.  Jalen Hurts hasn't even been named the started at OU.  He's having to compete for it.

44 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Bryant was told he would be the starter at Mizzou.  Auburn told him he could compete to be the starter.  Jalen Hurts hasn't even been named the started at OU.  He's having to compete for it.

So basically a lack of confidence in himself if this was indeed the case. I guess he figured if a freshman beat him out at one school it might happen again. 

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No reason to leave out 2016 in this list.  Gus should've been fired after that season.

In my opinion, that season was a 2015 cleanup job. Still no QB even though 6 of them took a snap against Clemson....

Still doesn't mean you are wrong about 2016 though, I'm just trying to back of my fire the coach ledge and be more optimistic about things. Ask me how that's going at the end of September....

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

So basically a lack of confidence in himself if this was indeed the case. I guess he figured if a freshman beat him out at one school it might happen again. 

I dunno if it's a lack of confidence or just good math. Also, it might just be one factor of many. Mizzoo's guy just went high 2nd round in the draft. They'll face easier defenses in the East. Their offense is far more QB-friendly in general. Lock threw for far more yards and touchdowns in each of his last 3 seasons than Stidham did in his "big" 2017 season. 

If Bryant wants to be an NFL QB, I can't think of any compelling reason on paper why he would have been better off coming to Auburn. 

PS- We might not get Nix and we might not keep Joey if we're out promising the starting job to transfers. Gus might've winked when he told Bryant he'd have to compete for the job. Who knows. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno if it's a lack of confidence or just good math. Also, it might just be one factor of many. Mizzoo's guy just went high 2nd round in the draft. They'll face easier defenses in the East. Their offense is far more QB-friendly in general. Lock threw for far more yards and touchdowns in each of his last 3 seasons than Stidham did in his "big" 2017 season. 

If Bryant wants to be an NFL QB, I can't think of any compelling reason on paper why he would have been better off coming to Auburn. 

PS- We might not get Nix and we might not keep Joey if we're out promising the starting job to transfers. Gus might've winked when he told Bryant he'd have to compete for the job. Who knows. 

Drew Lock was a stud high school prospect out of Missouri. Missouri was lucky he was home grown. Drew Lock was going to get a look at the NFL regardless because he was that good , IMO. I would be shocked if Kelly Bryant can pass like Lock. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Drew Lock was a stud high school prospect out of Missouri. Missouri was lucky he was home grown. Drew Lock was going to get a look at the NFL regardless because he was that good , IMO. I would be shocked if Kelly Bryant can pass like Lock. 

Jarrett Stidham was a significantly higher rated prospect out of high school. He likely would have been much more successful in Missouri's offense than he was here. 

Bryant might be a different QB than both of those guys but if he's trying to prove that he can be an NFL passer, he made the right choice. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Jarrett Stidham was a significantly higher rated prospect out of high school. He likely would have been much more successful in Missouri's offense than he was here. 

Bryant might be a different QB than both of those guys but if he's trying to prove that he can be an NFL passer, he made the right choice. 

Jarrett Stidham skillset is not comparable in Auburn’s offense to that of a Kelly Bryant. Yes , Jarrett Stidham would’ve put up more Gaudy numbers Mizzou offense caters to that gun slinging mentality. That is not Auburn’s offense. So it is either going to do one of two things: it’s going to make him into a better passer or it is going to severely expose him. I am just interested to see how he will do , especially since he had okayish stats at Clemson with skill players galore. I hope he makes it and proves everyone wrong but I am not holding my breathe that he will put up Drew Lock #s

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jarrett Stidham skillset is not comparable in Auburn’s offense to that of a Kelly Bryant. Yes , Jarrett Stidham would’ve put up more Gaudy numbers Mizzou offense caters to that gun slinging mentality. That is not Auburn’s offense. So it is either going to do one of two things: it’s going to make him into a better passer or it is going to severely expose him. I am just interested to see how he will do , especially since he had okayish stats at Clemson with skill players galore. I hope he makes it and proves everyone wrong but I am not holding my breathe that he will put up Drew Lock #s

No, he won't put up Drew Lock #s. But there's every reason to believe that he would put up better numbers there than he would here. And he had more yards and a better completion percentage- while taking Clemson to another ACC championship and playoff appearance- than Stidham had in his 2nd season at Auburn. 

Also, Bryant might not be Stidham or Lock, which I already acknowledged, but he's also not Nick Marshall or Cam Newton. And Gus hasn't used any quarterback particularly effectively for a full season besides those two guys. Gus didn't even let one of the best passers in CFB the last two years throw to an entire section of the field. 

Anyway, you said, "That is not Auburn's offense." That is my point exactly. Gus isn't a QB-friendly coach. (Cam Newton would've impregnated literally any offense in CFB with a million little touchdown babies. Mike Shula made him an NFL MVP. Nick Marshall plays cornerback. In Canada.)

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, he won't put up Drew Lock #s. But there's every reason to believe that he would put up better numbers there than he would here. And he had more yards and a better completion percentage- while taking Clemson to another ACC championship and playoff appearance- than Stidham had in his 2nd season at Auburn. 

Also, Bryant might not be Stidham or Lock, which I already acknowledged, but he's also not Nick Marshall or Cam Newton. And Gus hasn't used any quarterback particularly effectively for a full season besides those two guys. Gus didn't even let one of the best passers in CFB the last two years throw to an entire section of the field. 

Anyway, you said, "That is not Auburn's offense." That is my point exactly. Gus isn't a QB-friendly coach. (Cam Newton would've impregnated literally any offense in CFB with a million little touchdown babies. Mike Shula made him an NFL MVP. Nick Marshall plays cornerback. In Canada.)

Nick Marshall is a defensive back man lol. He is lucky he got a chance to play QB in college, lol. Not only that, NM CHOSE to move to DB before the Draft. He didn’t even have confidence in himself to do it at the next level. Wait , he had better yards and completion rate then Stidham? Not in 2017 when they both played a full year. Jarrett Stidham had more yards, a better TD-Interception ratio and better completion rate. 

A true freshman just took Clemson to a NC and won the dang thing. I definitely wouldn’t hold on to that . 

Just now, DAG said:

Nick Marshall is a defensive back man lol. He is lucky he got a chance to play QB in college, lol. Not only that, NM CHOSE to move to DB before the Draft. He didn’t even have confidence in himself to do it at the next level. He plays at freaking Clemson. Wait , he had better yards and completion rate then Stidham? Not in 2017 when they both played a full year. Jarrett Stidham had more yards, a better TD-Interception ratio and better completion rate. 

No offense, but I don't think you read my post very closely at all. And I don't think anything you're saying really contradicts my point. 

Archived