ESPN'S SEC West Preview

Auctoritas

17 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Reading articles like this always make me feel somewhat sympathetic for Gus. He's gotta put it all together and win the games that we should win. It should be illegal to have this brutal of a schedule.

I just wish they'd switch up the home and home with UGA/Bama. It's basically come down to Auburn having to take every other year off because its seemingly impossible to go win at UGA and Bama within a 2 week time frame. Our only chance to make a run is when we play them both at Auburn, like we did in 2017 and now in 2019.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I just wish they'd switch up the home and home with UGA/Bama. It's basically come down to Auburn having to take every other year off because its seemingly impossible to go win at UGA and Bama within a 2 week time frame. Our only chance to make a run is when we play them both at Auburn, like we did in 2017 and now in 2019.

That problem has been addressed and the remedy is that in 2020 the UGA will be moved to earlier in the year to alleviate playing both within a 2 week period. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No offense, but I don't think you read my post very closely at all. And I don't think anything you're saying really contradicts my point. 

But you haven’t made a point? Lol.

You have said he has better chance of making the NFL because Drew Lock. Well Drew Lock is a stud lol. If Drew Lock was playing at Mississippi State he would’ve made the NFL. Same thing with JS. 

Then you want to compare JS 2018 to KB 2018 stars when KB played four games? Why not compare the 2017 stats  when they both played a full year? 

You mention Nick Marshall in Canada, which I don’t know why? NM chose not to pursue an NFL job at QB. That was his own doing.

And then you mention KB taking Clemson to the Playoffs.Well, why? A true freshman took them to the playoffs, was a big factor in them winning it all and was the game’s MVP.  

This pretty much sums it up:

Nothing will change in this regard in 2019. Auburn is scheduled to play two projected top-20 teams (per S&P+), both away from home, among its first four games, then play five top-10 teams from there. For good measure, the Tigers also somehow go over a month without a home game in the middle of the season. 

Please stop scheduling out of conference top 10 teams and please actively campaign to move to the SEC East where we belong.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

But you haven’t made a point? Lol.

I've explicitly stated my point multiple times.

You have said he has better chance of making the NFL because Drew Lock. Well Drew Lock is a stud lol. If Drew Lock was playing at Mississippi State he would’ve made the NFL. Same thing with JS. 

I didn't say because Drew Lock. I said because the Missouri offense knows how to feature a good QB better than Gus's does. Again, I stated this very explicitly. And yeah, Drew Lock would've made the NFL playing at Mississippi State, but he would've gotten drafted much lower and likely would have cost himself millions of dollars that he'll never recoup. Just like Stidham did by choosing Auburn.

Then you won’t to compare JS 2018 to KB 2018 stars when KB played four games? Why not compare the 2017 stats  when they both played a full year? 

I was comparing KB's one year as a starter to Stidham's 2nd year as a starter. Again, I explicitly stated Stidham's 2nd year, and I really didn't think I needed to state that I was referring to KB's one year as a starter. I stated Stidham's 2nd year because I have to imagine that KB took into account what Gus's offense had done most recently. 

You mention Nick Marshall in Canada, which I don’t know why? NM chose to not pursue an NFL job at QB. That was his own doing.

So you think Marshall had people tell him he could be an NFL QB? And he chose otherwise all by himself? Surely you're joking. Regardless, the point stands. 1 of Gus's 2 truly successful QBs not only didn't go to the NFL, but changed positions. Do you think Kelly Bryant cares whether or not that was Nick Marshall's idea? (Which it might have been... after he'd been told by every single industry type he talked to that he wasn't going to get drafted as a QB.)

And then you mention KB taking Clemson to the PlayoffsWell, why? A true freshman took them to the playoffs, was a big factor in them winning it all and was the game’s MVP.  

Oh gawd. Trevor Lawrence is the best freshman prospect in a decade. There are NFL teams already strategizing how to get the 1st pick in the 2021 draft. Regardless, yes, I mentioned that. Like, literally added it as an aside in the middle of a sentence. Sorry that I suggested that a guy who wins 12 games might look at the guy who won 8 games and wonder if he wants the same coach that guy had. By the way, I'm again comparing Bryant's full year at QB to what most recently happened at Auburn. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Mizzoo's guy just went high 2nd round in the draft

That was the whole basis of your argument. Well that guy who went in the 2nd round was Drew Lock. A stud QB. If he would've played in a run oriented offense, he still probably could make it in the 2nd round because he is that good.  Now you said Mizzou has a QB friendly offense, but doesn't Clemson have a QB friendly offense WITH INSANE TALENT. Why didn't he put up gaudy numbers there in 2017?

And he had more yards and a better completion percentage- while taking Clemson to another ACC championship and playoff appearance- than Stidham had in his 2nd season at Auburn. 

This is just a disingenuous argument. You clearly chose to state this purposely. Why not compare like opponents in 2018. Why not compare like opponents in 2017? No, instead you compare Stidham's 2018 season to KB's 2017 season.  Listen don't get mad at me for saying a true freshman did it. I didn't bring that to the table. YOU are the one who put this on the pedestal. But did you mention what KB did against Bama? True freshman or not, that is pretty dang good what Trevor did on the national stage. All KB proved is you don't have to be a stud to get a team LIKE CLEMSON to the dang playoffs. But you definitely better have your big boy pants on to get the job done one you are there.

Nick Marshall plays cornerback. In Canada.)

Who cares? Why even bring this up. It not Gus job to make you into an NFL QB. His Job is to win games and put you in a position to get a look. I don't know who NM was listening to, but why are you indirectly trying to get on Gus for HIS decision. Now, if you want to get on Gus for not getting the best out of his people, that is one thing and I will critique him for that, but quite frankly JS was drafted a fourth round QB, because he played like one. Gus could've did a better job at play calling,. but miss wide open passes. Not doing a very good job handling pressure, questions about his leadership ability (At least my own). That is on him. Daniel Jones never had one season like JS 2017 season and got drafted in the first round.

Wow. Okay.

I'll say it one more time and I'm done. On paper, Kelly Bryant had more reasons to choose Missouri over Auburn than just a lack of confidence in his own ability to beat out Joey and Bo. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Wow. Okay.

I'll say it one more time and I'm done. On paper, Kelly Bryant had more reasons to choose Missouri over Auburn than just a lack of confidence in his own ability to beat out Joey and Bo. 

That is much better than any of the other stuff you are saying which holds no water lol. You bringing up NM, You bringing up Cam Newton winning the NFL MVP . You doing the most. 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

This pretty much sums it up:

Nothing will change in this regard in 2019. Auburn is scheduled to play two projected top-20 teams (per S&P+), both away from home, among its first four games, then play five top-10 teams from there. For good measure, the Tigers also somehow go over a month without a home game in the middle of the season. 

Please stop scheduling out of conference top 10 teams and please actively campaign to move to the SEC East where we belong.

Preseason rankings really don't matter, it's how they end up at the end of the season that let's you know how tough of schedule you played.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Preseason rankings really don't matter, it's how they end up at the end of the season that let's you know how tough of schedule you played.

yep!

13 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

he should have seen a doctor about that...

Missouri had the 3rd best Scoring Offense in conference last season while AU had the 9th.  Mizzou was 3rd in 3rd down conversions while AU was 9th.  They also had the 3rd fewest sacks allowed while AU had the 7th.  Sounds like AU needs a Doctor of Offense imo.  Maybe our 20-somthing non-OC will fix these issues.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Defense did everything they possibly could to help the offense . I am down for getting on the defense for Mississippi state game, but if you are really trying to blame the defense for Tennessee and LSU ...

Not trying to blame the defense alone for the losses, but TN threw for 328 yards and converted 10 of 19 on third downs and gave up 30 pts. I know we threw a couple of picks and they could have put TN in great field position but not sure. I just see it as a joint effort in the loss.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Jarrett Stidham skillset is not comparable in Auburn’s offense to that of a Kelly Bryant. Yes , Jarrett Stidham would’ve put up more Gaudy numbers Mizzou offense caters to that gun slinging mentality. That is not Auburn’s offense. So it is either going to do one of two things: it’s going to make him into a better passer or it is going to severely expose him. I am just interested to see how he will do

I know it's a foreign concept around here, but some coaches actually adjust what they do, to maximize the skill set of the QB they have.  Stidham would have been drafted higher if he had left after 2017.  Easy choice for Bryant.  He won't put up Lock numbers but he will improve his skills (and draft position) instead of regressing (and hurting his draft stock).

30 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Not trying to blame the defense alone for the losses, but TN threw for 328 yards and converted 10 of 19 on third downs and gave up 30 pts. I know we threw a couple of picks and they could have put TN in great field position but not sure. I just see it as a joint effort in the loss.

Turnovers killed us. 3 turnovers with one being directly converted into a TD and another that Tennessee converted into a TD drive. Then we had a turnover on downs. While the defense got burned through the air on a few plays, they were a steel wall in the run game.

LSU game I don’t put on anyone. I’m still bitter that they didn’t call DPI son our last possession when we took a deep shot to Slayton. And then they called two DPI on our defense on LSUs last drive. Gut wrenching way to lose IMO. That loss carried over and altered how the rest of the season would go. We win that game, we likely are a 9 win team or better.

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I know it's a foreign concept around here, but some coaches actually adjust what they do to, to maximize the skill set of the QB they have.  Stidham would have been drafted higher if he had left after 2017.  Easy choice for Bryant.  He won't put up Lock numbers but he will improve his skills (and draft position) instead of regressing (and hurting his draft stock).

I don’t disagree with most of your post but the 2018 NFL QB draft class was loaded. Stidham is likely still the 7th QB taken if he dips after 2017.

I do have my questions about Bryant at Missouri though. He was particularly an accomplished passer when he left Clemson and I think that’ll impact his effectiveness at Missouri. Currently I don’t think Bryant is projected to be drafted so not sure how to gauge his draft stock that way. He shares similar flaws as Stidham did from a pocket standpoint with out the Arm Talent. That can all change though.

For the record if we compare 2017 Bryant and 2018 Stidham, while Bryant maintained a better completion %, Stidham averaged more passing yards per game, more Y/A, more TD/game while throwing less INT/game. 

The drop off in explosive play generation is what killed his overall numbers. You can attribute that to a drop off in the run game and inconsistency with OL play and execution in the passing game!  

32 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I know it's a foreign concept around here, but some coaches actually adjust what they do, to maximize the skill set of the QB they have.  Stidham would have been drafted higher if he had left after 2017.  Easy choice for Bryant.  He won't put up Lock numbers but he will improve his skills (and draft position) instead of regressing (and hurting his draft stock).

So let’s compare numbers then? No more just talking . Gus has Stidham and Kelly Bryant was with Dabo. Who got the most out of their player in 2017. No BSing. No emotions. Straight facts. 

21 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

For the record if we compare 2017 Bryant and 2018 Stidham, while Bryant maintained a better completion %, Stidham averaged more passing yards per game, more Y/A, more TD/game while throwing less INT/game. 

The drop off in explosive play generation is what killed his overall numbers. You can attribute that to a drop off in the run game and inconsistency with OL play and execution in the passing game!  

But JS regressed. Think about that. They don’t want to compare JS best season to KB best season. They want to compare KB best season to JS worst statistical one. Think about that for a second . They said Gus doesn’t maximize his talent level , yet KB, who had all world talent around him , who went to playoffs, still thew more interceptions with less attempt.   Still couldn’t get as many yards as JS or throw as many TDS per game. Matter of fact , I dare anyone to find me a game where KB  threw 3 TDs agaisnt a FBS opponent? 

I see where people are coming from with the scheduling but that’s done years in advance. We play UCLA in the future for multiple games and they’re mediocre right now. There really isn’t any point to scheduling those kind of games since playing in the SEC is good enough to get you in the playoffs but Auburn has never shied away from scheduling those kind of games. They scheduled prime USC, and Clemson

18 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Not all of this is a response to your post, but I'll use it as a jumping off point. The intent was never to make an apples to apples comparison of these two guys or those two seasons, despite all the misunderstanding and resultant silliness in this thread. Only to point out that Bryant threw the ball some when he was at Clemson and he's probably trying to go to the program that he thinks gives him the best chance of successfully throwing the ball some more. It's not about Stidham, or Bryant replicating Lock's success, or Bryant even being successful at all at Missouri. Only that he chose the school that sent their stud QB ninety picks higher in the NFL draft than the other school sent their stud QB. There are lots of other variables at play but there's only so much mitigating one can do before acknowledging that Bryant has a very good case for having made the correct business decision. That's all. Again, I know you're not invested in all of that other stuff.

One thing you mentioned in another post is Bryant and Stidham having similar flaws in the pocket. Stidham's flaws got worse in his second year here. We can speculate all day whose fault it was, but coaching did not result in Stidham becoming a better QB while he was here. So if Bryant's flaws were similar to Stidham's, then maybe they won't get better at Mizzoo, but I'd forgive him for thinking that they definitely won't get better at Auburn.

Dude , threw out all of these accomplishments and stats , now it isn’t about them. Smh .

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Turnovers killed us. 3 turnovers with one being directly converted into a TD and another that Tennessee converted into a TD drive. Then we had a turnover on downs. While the defense got burned through the air on a few plays, they were a steel wall in the run game.

LSU game I don’t put on anyone. I’m still bitter that they didn’t call DPI son our last possession when we took a deep shot to Slayton. And then they called two DPI on our defense on LSUs last drive. Gut wrenching way to lose IMO. That loss carried over and altered how the rest of the season would go. We win that game, we likely are a 9 win team or better.

The defense checked out for 6 quarters starting at halftime of the MSU game. They'd had enough. 

And I totally agree that LSU game fed into that. So did the ugly win against Southern Miss. You gotta take care of business early in the season. 

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Missouri had the 3rd best Scoring Offense in conference last season while AU had the 9th.  Mizzou was 3rd in 3rd down conversions while AU was 9th.  They also had the 3rd fewest sacks allowed while AU had the 7th.  Sounds like AU needs a Doctor of Offense imo.  Maybe our 20-somthing non-OC will fix these issues.

How did Missouri's strength of schedule compare with ours?

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

How did Missouri's strength of schedule compare with ours?

I don't have that data handy, but again these stats were for conference games only.

Archived