Golfers

35 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Sometimes when playing with my dad I wasnt above lifting my skirt and hitting from the ladys tee box...........and in early 2000 would also use Lady Precept balls. 😂

I had a buddy that hit those lady’s balls and swore they were longer than anything else he tried. They were selling like crazy and the precept engineers said they had no data to back the claims up so they started marking them as “ Laddie”. I always use something I can get some bite on. Pro v1 is what I prefer but I get the ones stamped ‘practice ‘. They are about 25$ vs 45$ a dozen and Titleist swears there’s nothing functionally wrong with them. Several years ago when my wedges were new I would hit NXT too. They will stop pretty good too and cost much less. 

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's the trick to Perry's.  Go on a Friday for lunch, but make reservations.  They do a pork chop special on Friday's.  $15 for one of those bad boys plus mashed potatoes and apple sauce.  You literally don't need a knife to cut that thing.

Yep your description of the menu isn't much help as it just leads me back to the visual you provided and I filed away😂

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I had a buddy that hit those lady’s balls and swore they were longer than anything else he tried. They were selling like crazy and the precept engineers said they had no data to back the claims up so they started marking them as “ Laddie”. I always use something I can get some bite on. Pro v1 is what I prefer but I get the ones stamped ‘practice ‘. They are about 25$ vs 45$ a dozen and Titleist swears there’s nothing functionally wrong with them. Several years ago when my wedges were new I would hit NXT too. They will stop pretty good too and cost much less. 

Yes the NXT were my favorite when playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

I've been hitting Top Flite Gamer balls for the last two years.  3 piece construction.  Good feel around the green and can move them pretty well if needed.  For $15 a box, they're really nice balls to hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've been hitting Top Flite Gamer balls for the last two years.  3 piece construction.  Good feel around the green and can move them pretty well if needed.  For $15 a box, they're really nice balls to hit.

Way back years ago before I could tell the difference in the short game TopFlite is all I bought. Distance was my only concern. If I tried them again I would probably find them playable as much as equipment has progressed. 

I get amused at some guys I see ( actually some friends/golf buddies) that will spend 45$ a dozen for pro v 1. And can’t break 90. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alexava said:

This is true my pro shop couldn't keep them in stock. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alexava said:

I get amused at some guys I see ( actually some friends/golf buddies) that will spend 45$ a dozen for pro v 1. And can’t break 90. 

Most golfers are gullible for anything they think will help. As someone said "There's a sucker born every minute" just insert golfer after sucker. Someone who can't break 90 really shouldn't use pro v 1's it really will not help their game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Most golfers are gullible for anything they thing will help. As someone said "There's a sucker born every minute" just insert golfer after sucker. Someone who can't break 90 really shouldn't use pro v 1's it really will not help their game.

I read an article in either golf magazine or digest that said if you can’t back up a ball from 30 yards save your money and buy NXTs. I “can” do that but never try it because I don’t carry a 60* and it’s too risky. But I can tell the difference in the two balls. If the ‘practice ‘ or ‘x outs’ we not just about the same price I would play NXTs. 

I made fun of one guy who hacked out 90-100s with pro v 1s and drank Busch Light. Lol. 

Edited by alexava
  • Haha 2

I pulled the bucket of shag balls out of the garage a couple weeks back. I’m reminded that before I went to Titleist I used Maxfli Revolutions there were dozens in my shag bucket. Ole Freddy sold me on those. They wasn’t cheap either. 

I've been hitting Chrome Soft X. Definitely check up on those low trajectory shots around the green or inside 100. Not sure they are any better than a ProV1 though. I also was given a dozen OnCore ELIXR to try. Good ball. I think they sell for around $35 a dozen. 

Update: my round with the club pro did not go well for me. He shot one under 71 from tips and they had the tees back a bit. I'd guess close to 7000. I will not mention my score. It's golf. ;D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I've been hitting Chrome Soft X. Definitely check up on those low trajectory shots around the green or inside 100. Not sure they are any better than a ProV1 though. I also was given a dozen OnCore ELIXR to try. Good ball. I think they sell for around $35 a dozen. 

Update: my round with the club pro did not go well for me. He shot one under 71 from tips and they had the tees back a bit. I'd guess close to 7000. I will not mention my score. It's golf. ;D

That is golf! I shoot good scores and bad scores (for me). If I steadily improve I would play for a living. That ain’t happening..

on subject of playing with pros, ten years ago when I was in a private club I was off on a weekday and looking for someone to play. Our assistant pro told me him, the head pro and two hooters tour players where playing in an hour. I could join them and we’d play WOLF. That was an effing mistake. I had the worst luck ever known to have happened at this club. I shot a 73 with 5 birdies and lost 108$. None of the other four scores beat me. I don’t remember the exact stakes but they played you count two scores on each hole instead of one. I had the tee on 17 down a reasonable amount maybe 30-40 bucks. It’s a 179 yard p3. I poured a 7 iron to about 2 1/2 feet and wolfed.. three of those bastards also birdied and the other made a sandy par. ( sandies, greenies all kinds of side activity within the basic wolf game. So I get the tee on 18 as a result of being down $. I already decided I ain’t going wolf. I wanted the 6’5” hooters guy who hits a mile farther than me. I was even in distance to two of them and our head pro was shorter than us. So this par 5 is reachable for me but it takes a really good bomb. I didn’t nutt it well enough to have an iron in and don’t realistically have a chance of an eagle put. The big guy is up next and popped his driver up falling 20 yards shorter than me. So I picked the assistant pro. That big guy hit a 5 wood 245 yards to about two feet. Everyone else birdied. Didn’t matter. I lost 60 or 70 bucks in two holes which I birdied both of them.  I played well enough ( and had a deep enough pocket,apparently) to get invited to some similar games. Not wolf though. Usually skins with two or three foursomes. Over the next few weeks I won about half of it back. I really enjoyed playing in this bunch because it was the only time I played from the tips at the club. My regular bunch played a couple tees up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alexava said:

That is golf! I shoot good scores and bad scores (for me). If I steadily improve I would play for a living. That ain’t happening..

on subject of playing with pros, ten years ago when I was in a private club I was off on a weekday and looking for someone to play. Our assistant pro told me him, the head pro and two hooters tour players where playing in an hour. I could join them and we’d play WOLF. That was an effing mistake. I had the worst luck ever known to have happened at this club. I shot a 73 with 5 birdies and lost 108$. None of the other four scores beat me. I don’t remember the exact stakes but they played you count two scores on each hole instead of one. I had the tee on 17 down a reasonable amount maybe 30-40 bucks. It’s a 179 yard p3. I poured a 7 iron to about 2 1/2 feet and wolfed.. three of those bastards also birdied and the other made a sandy par. ( sandies, greenies all kinds of side activity within the basic wolf game. So I get the tee on 18 as a result of being down $. I already decided I ain’t going wolf. I wanted the 6’5” hooters guy who hits a mile farther than me. I was even in distance to two of them and our head pro was shorter than us. So this par 5 is reachable for me but it takes a really good bomb. I didn’t nutt it well enough to have an iron in and don’t realistically have a chance of an eagle put. The big guy is up next and popped his driver up falling 20 yards shorter than me. So I picked the assistant pro. That big guy hit a 5 wood 245 yards to about two feet. Everyone else birdied. Didn’t matter. I lost 60 or 70 bucks in two holes which I birdied both of them.  I played well enough ( and had a deep enough pocket,apparently) to get invited to some similar games. Not wolf though. Usually skins with two or three foursomes. Over the next few weeks I won about half of it back. I really enjoyed playing in this bunch because it was the only time I played from the tips at the club. My regular bunch played a couple tees up. 

My regular group is 8-11 handicaps and we play straight up $25 a side. Never lose more than $50, but can win $150 on a good day. Shoot in the 70's and you typically win. Winner usually pays on 19th. Win/win IMO and lots of fun.

On another topic, I just put Golf Pride Align grips on my Apex irons. Love them. Anyone tried them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

My regular group is 8-11 handicaps and we play straight up $25 a side. Never lose more than $50, but can win $150 on a good day. Shoot in the 70's and you typically win. Winner usually pays on 19th. Win/win IMO and lots of fun.

On another topic, I just put Golf Pride Align grips on my Apex irons. Love them. Anyone tried them?

I have some really tacky Lampkin grips I put on several years ago. Played so little they’re still like new. Got a couple that are different. Regripping clubs ain’t cheap. Even doing it yourself. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, alexava said:

Way back years ago before I could tell the difference in the short game TopFlite is all I bought. Distance was my only concern. If I tried them again I would probably find them playable as much as equipment has progressed. 

Same here......had good friend that would pout if he didnt have a Calloway blue dot.......not sure of actual name but were available in blue or red.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Great story Alex..... Wolf can eat you alive. I hated it and only played it maybe 10 times in almost 55 years of playing golf. 

I was -3 yrs old when you started playing.😉

New updates, a few days ago we played nine again at the same course. Shot an interesting 38. Not hitting good off the tee. Only hit three greens in regulation and made one birdie, three bogeys.. 

Was not planning to play this weekend. Too much s*** to do. On July 4th I bought two pallets of sidewalk/ patio pavers. Exactly 1404 4”x8” brick types. 4 for a dollar! Regular about .60$.. anyway I gotta get this done. But a buddy calls yesterday and said he got us on at Canebrake! This is the private club I was a member for a couple years 10-12 years ago. It’s awesome. So I said hell yes before I even checked with the wife. His 21 year old son took a lesson from the head pro and he supposedly had us in for 2:00. I was skeptical and ready to pay 70-80 bucks. I also know the head pro as we coached our son’s baseball team together 4years ago.  It didn’t look good when we walked in and the guy in the shop was asking for our members ids. Then Mickey the head pro comes in and tells him we’re good. No sign in no money just go play! I even talked with Mickey a few minutes and caught up on our sons last three years and got a lesson set up with him for Alex. I didn’t play very well. Shot 81. Birdied 1st and 18th. Nothing much in between to get excited about. Two double bogeys and a triple bogey. Until the last hole the driver was very lackluster. The course is hilly. The greens are Bermuda and slick as hell with a lot of deceptive putts. 

Alex was very disappointed he couldn’t go. He did understand he ain’t ready for that and I was the fourth in this group. So when I got home I told him we’d go to the driving range. I got to the range and holy hell! I was killing  the driver! How the hell does that happen? Now trying to find a way to play tomorrow!  

Edited by alexava
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, alexava said:

New updates, a few days ago we played nine again at the same course. Shot an interesting 38. Not hitting good off the tee. Only hit three greens in regulation and made one birdie, three bogeys.. 

Was not planning to play this weekend. Too much s*** to do. On July 4th I bought two pallets of sidewalk/ patio pavers. Exactly 1404 4”x8” brick types. 4 for a dollar! Regular about .60$.. anyway I gotta get this done. But a buddy calls yesterday and said he got us on at Canebrake! This is the private club I was a member for a couple years 10-12 years ago. It’s awesome. So I said hell yes before I even checked with the wife. His 21 year old son took a lesson from the head pro and he supposedly had us in for 2:00. I was skeptical and ready to pay 70-80 bucks. I also know the head pro as we coached our son’s baseball team together 4years ago.  It didn’t look good when we walked in and the guy in the shop was asking for our members ids. Then Mickey the head pro comes in and tells him we’re good. No sign in no money just go play! I even talked with Mickey a few minutes and caught up on our sons last three years and got a lesson set up with him for Alex. I didn’t play very well. Shot 81. Birdied 1st and 18th. Nothing much in between to get excited about. Two double bogeys and a triple bogey. Until the last hole the driver was very lackluster. The course is hilly. The greens are Bermuda and slick as hell with a lot of deceptive putts. 

Alex was very disappointed he couldn’t go. He did understand he ain’t ready for that and I was the fourth in this group. So when I got home I told him we’d go to the driving range. I got to the range and holy hell! I was killing  the driver! How the hell does that happen? Now trying to find a way to play tomorrow!  

Its always good to birdie 18 if I was having a bad round I tried like hell to finish 18th hole well

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Thanks for sharing..........Jimmy Green's dad RIP was that type of pro.

• Like 3

Jimmy's dad taught me to start off with my irons first when on the driving range.........this thread brings back good memories.

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Jimmy's dad taught me to start off with my irons first when on the driving range.........this thread brings back good memories.

I’m in the minority. The driver loosens me up better than anything. 

Someone mentioned golf ball selection....been playing the "laddie" balls a while …when one of the companies abandoned the senior label and lady label....looking for something that worked with my 80mph swing...or maybe slightly less...seems my swing speed and age are just about ready to intersect. 

Mostly in recent years I play the standard Bridgestone E6 and get pretty good distance for my age, etc.....about 200 off the tee which is usually better than my other 75+ year old golfers.    We play dollar Nassau three days a week with greenies, sandies, birdies, and you never heard such griping when someone loses over $4 for a round....but we love it....about a dozen of us...between 10 and 18 handicap.... I'm doubting anyone is ahead on winnings for the YTD....money just floats around the group.   

What a great game.....:party:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’ve never had my swing speed checked. In Orlando the PGA superstore said they only checked ball speed. Of course they checked rpms or spin rate on the wedges I was testing. I wish I had bought it that day. Of course I’m trying to shop around for a sweetheart deal. The new ones cost what they cost everywhere. Last year model is cheaper and varies in price but I’m set on darker colored wedge and those are all gone. I went to Edwin Watts Friday and learned that the manufacturer sets the price on clubs. He said he can’t even give you a free hat if you buy a new 500$ driver. He said Ping is very strict about it. They were very helpful with me and I would have bought the 150$ wedge but they didn’t have exactly what I wanted. For that price I will get exactly what I want. 

Anyway we played nine holes a couple hours ago. I shot even 36. Two birds two bogeys. Just kind of uneventful. Didn’t make a putt over 5 feet. 

• Like 1