Golfers

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took a while but been busy keeping up with all the Gus rumors.

Really can't add anything to the video he does an good job imo keeping it simple. Early release can be awfully hard to correct if anyone has been playing for a long time with the same bad habits. It feels more natural to them to early release since they have swung that way for so long. The correct way will not feel natural to them at first.

One simple tip I would do is take a 6 or 7 iron and just with half swings feel like your flicking off a wet piece of grass off your club face. 

Everyone is different even pros have different release points but one thing all pros do is have the hands/handle of the club ahead of the ball and then release. 

• Like 1

I have many problems. I’m shocked I’m able to score how do when I constantly eliminate the right side of the fairways and greens. But I never took lessons. I read magazines but never had many swing suggestions stick. 
   First problem is I grip the s*** out of the club. So much tension in my hands and forearms I am not letting the swing happen. I am trying to steer the club to the ball. 
     Second and worse yet, I took a tip many years ago to “ stabilize “ your base for consistency. Either misunderstood the tip or it was the worst tip ever. I have little to no hip movement going back and going down I don’t open them until contact. I have to release early. 
     But maybe worse than anything I never understood how or exactly when to get my weight on the left side. I’ve watched several videos recently. This guy explained it well at feeling the downforce on your left foot. Another guy said this about crushing a can under your left foot to start down. Another video explained that as the back swing rotation takes a the club around past 90degrees from the ground and towards the target to use that momentum to start to get on that left foot. 
     There were times decades ago that I had all these things going in the right direction. I felt it. Then would try different things to add distance.Stupid.... It was in my head that you had to get “snap” in the wrists.

Bt anyway I have a lot to work on and people now think I’m insane to totally change my swing. I have just gotten tired of aiming way right to keep it in play. The one lesson I did take was from Billy Eastep. He told me then. “ Aiming right makes you hit it farther left “.  Or tricking myself to keep the club from closing down.  I don’t have any goals but my game can only improve very little otherwise. I turned 48 today. I’m shooting for the Champions tour. Lol

thanks for the tips and watching. 

• 2 months later...

I've played Bay Hill maybe 30 times and this tee shot on 6th holes ovder that much water is unreal. Same hole John Daly tried to do it for like 8 times and never made it.

The way I had to play it was play safe to right of fairway on my tee shot no frickin way I was even come close to trying to cut over the water

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been MIA from here for a while. Have been playing golf though. Just had a pro fit me for new clubs. That was interesting. He basically told me that my putter was the only club in my bag that didn’t need to be sold on eBay. I played with him at the CC he’s head pro at. I played pretty well that day. 79 with 5 or 6 3putts. Got one free tip from him then ( posture). Then shot -2 70 next week at a different course. But I have been killing my driver, long straight, even fade it a little when I need it. It’s a TaylorMade R11 2011 model. Irons are mizuno MP30 bought new in 2003. 
     My irons are basically blades. Very unforgiving especially 7 and longer. Found out two pals work for steel company and get 40% off TaylorMade equipment. So I made appointment with the pro to advise. He helped me decide which irons to get. Either stiff shafts or regular tipped an inch. 2degree flat lie. My heel was digging and shafts too much flex for my swing speed. The crazy part is I was curious about my swing speed with driver. He said yep get it out. Not really feeling like I was getting around good ( stiff in the back) I m swinging 109mph. 3800+ rpm spin. He said if I get the spin cut in half I will get 50 more yards. ( I’m thinking 50 might be a little exaggeration) so what to I do try to contact it on upswing? He said hell no you need an f——— shaft. You got no business swinging an R60 shaft. So I asked if he could get me a shaft. He laughed ,yea I can but YOU GET A 40% DISCOUNT ON TAYLORMADE. Get you a new driver. Made me feel like a cheap sob. 
      Ordering clubs! Won’t be available until September 1. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Been MIA from here for a while. Have been playing golf though. Just had a pro fit me for new clubs. That was interesting. He basically told me that my putter was the only club in my bag that didn’t need to be sold on eBay. I played with him at the CC he’s head pro at. I played pretty well that day. 79 with 5 or 6 3putts. Got one free tip from him then ( posture). Then shot -2 70 next week at a different course. But I have been killing my driver, long straight, even fade it a little when I need it. It’s a TaylorMade R11 2011 model. Irons are mizuno MP30 bought new in 2003. 
     My irons are basically blades. Very unforgiving especially 7 and longer. Found out two pals work for steel company and get 40% off TaylorMade equipment. So I made appointment with the pro to advise. He helped me decide which irons to get. Either stiff shafts or regular tipped an inch. 2degree flat lie. My heel was digging and shafts too much flex for my swing speed. The crazy part is I was curious about my swing speed with driver. He said yep get it out. Not really feeling like I was getting around good ( stiff in the back) I m swinging 109mph. 3800+ rpm spin. He said if I get the spin cut in half I will get 50 more yards. ( I’m thinking 50 might be a little exaggeration) so what to I do try to contact it on upswing? He said hell no you need an f——— shaft. You got no business swinging an R60 shaft. So I asked if he could get me a shaft. He laughed ,yea I can but YOU GET A 40% DISCOUNT ON TAYLORMADE. Get you a new driver. Made me feel like a cheap sob. 
      Ordering clubs! Won’t be available until September 1. 

Glad you went this route. About damn time!!  We all know you're a cheap sob.....:poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ordered TaylorMade P790 5-AW and a SIM 2 Max 4 iron Rflex shafts hard stepped an inch. Rifle stiff in 4 iron. All 2 degrees flat. Tested SIM2 and SIM2MAX drivers today. Hazrdus stiff shaft, high kick point. The club fitter assured me I was hitting them longer than my R11 even though it didn’t feel like it. I was actually fading it a little. Crazy for me. My R11 with Rflex is almost impossible to fade. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, alexava said:

Been MIA from here for a while. Have been playing golf though.

Wondering about you so good to hear your ok. Still time to fish I trust? Reading “laughter” in an old Readers Digest just yesterday.

“Two golfers getting ready to tee off. Both looking out over the adjacent course lake at two guys in a boat. One golfer to the other….” Look at those to idiots fishing in the rain.”

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Wondering about you so good to hear your ok. Still time to fish I trust? Reading “laughter” in an old Readers Digest just yesterday.

“Two golfers getting ready to tee off. Both looking out over the adjacent course lake at two guys in a boat. One golfer to the other….” Look at those to idiots fishing in the rain.”

I don’t like to fish or golf in the rain. And I hate fishing in extreme heat even more. It drains me on the golf courses too. But I can manage it better with shade occasionally wind from cart movements and you don’t have sun reflecting off the water hitting you 2x. But it’s been so hot recently I can’t drink beer on the course. I can’ barely drink beer or many other thing the past few months due to my smell and taste being affected by Covid. It’s day to day. I’ve wasted so many beers trying to see if I can drink it. Over half the time I’m just pouring them out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t like to fish or golf in the rain. And I hate fishing in extreme heat even more. It drains me on the golf courses too. But I can manage it better with shade occasionally wind from cart movements and you don’t have sun reflecting off the water hitting you 2x. But it’s been so hot recently I can’t drink beer on the course. I can’ barely drink beer or many other thing the past few months due to my smell and taste being affected by Covid. It’s day to day. I’ve wasted so many beers trying to see if I can drink it. Over half the time I’m just pouring them out. 

Understand the heat thing. Did a little fishing this morning but cloud cover and ocean breeze made it pretty comfortable. Yesterday was brutal.

Hate to hear about the taste. Awful  to pour out good beer. After I had COVID I did go for a couple months without a beer. Just did not care for or maybe have a taste for. These days I am almost back in game day shape and having my weekly required number of units. Love to go for a golf cart ride and have a beer most afternoons. Hopefully you will bounce back.

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I’ve wasted so many beers trying to see if I can drink it. Over half the time I’m just pouring them out. 

OMG I feel so bad for you..........................

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

OMG I feel so bad for you..........................

I’ll live.  Stopped and got a 6pack of Red Stripe today and drank two while grilling chicken. First time I’ve had that since Jamaica 18 years ago. Been buying mostly Rolling Rock, Arnold Palmer beer. Always liked it and it’s cheap. So when I can’t drink it it’s not an expensive loss. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, alexava said:

I’ll live.  Stopped and got a 6pack of Red Stripe today and drank two while grilling chicken. First time I’ve had that since Jamaica 18 years ago. Been buying mostly Rolling Rock, Arnold Palmer beer. Always liked it and it’s cheap. So when I can’t drink it it’s not an expensive loss. 

Spent a weekend at the Georgian Terrace several years ago. The beer offerings at the lobby bar were limited. Red Stripe was available. I chose It and haven’t wanted one since.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Spent a weekend at the Georgian Terrace several years ago. The beer offerings at the lobby bar were limited. Red Stripe was available. I chose It and haven’t wanted one since.

In Jamaica you insult them if you ask for anything else. Plus the resorts don’t have anything else. Same with Rum. Appleton Rum is made in Jamaica. If you ask for Bacardi...you get an unfriendly stare. 
    But yes there’s a reason I haven’t had it in 18 years. 

I shot 76 today. 41-35. Point Mallard. Got off t a terrible start. 30 minute rain delay on number 7. Settled down and had a good back nine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I shot 76 today. 41-35. Point Mallard. Got off t a terrible start. 30 minute rain delay on number 7. Settled down and had a good back nine. 

That's what's so great about golf you can turn it around from front nine to back nine or just on the next hole

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 4 iron came in. Lol. Played 27 and only pulled it 3 times. Gonna take some swings to get a feel for it off the ground. But once off the tee was ripped, long straight. Swinging pretty well. Can’t wait to get the set of P790s in. And decide on a driver shaft. There’s a ton of shafts to pick from. Drivers are on back order too so I’m not getting in a huge rush. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t think I have ever watched the opening ceremony for a Ryder Cup before. I just happened to notice these pro golfers don’t have ugly wives. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t think I have ever watched the opening ceremony for a Ryder Cup before. I just happened to notice these pro golfers don’t have ugly wives. 

Reallyyyyyyyy you think so. I had many a date on the golf course 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...