What Are You Reading?

Got bored with my current video games. Way too hot to go fishing. So I’m in a reading phase that I go through a couple times a year. I stick to mostly fiction(horror, mystery, thriller, and light sci-fi/fantasy).

I just finished Ready Player One-Ernest Cline. Great book, much, much different than the film. 

I just picked up The Cabin at the End of the World-Paul Tremblay. Off to a good start. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36381091-the-cabin-at-the-end-of-the-world

Anyone else reading anything worthwhile currently?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got bored with my current video games. Way too hot to go fishing. So I’m in a reading phase that I go through a couple times a year. I stick to mostly fiction(horror, mystery, thriller, and light sci-fi/fantasy).

I just finished Ready Player One-Ernest Cline. Great book, much, much different than the film. 

I just picked up The Cabin at the End of the World-Paul Tremblay. Off to a good start. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36381091-the-cabin-at-the-end-of-the-world

Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski........same here with current game..........Just need to stay focused........stopped yesterday to watch Chernobyl Diaries

The Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Mystery/Thriller genre. All of them could be stand alone novels but it pays to read them in order because of the introduction and development of the recurring characters. Cabinet of Curiosities is by far my favorite. A new novel usually comes out late Fall or early Winter. It is my favorite and most anticipated Christmas gift each year. 

Not currently reading anything. This heat kicks my rear end and as a result, I'm too tired at night to focus. However, my most recent finishes are Dispatches From Pluto by Richard Grant and The World’s Largest Man: A Memoir by Harrison Scott Key. Both were really good reads.

Keep a book going all the time. Sometimes two.

"The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared". Hilarious and understand a movie made.

Jonas Jonasson

"Good Omens" -- terrific book, trying to keep ahead of my watching of the series. Which means, trying not to binge watch, mixing in other stuff.

I have a couple of books going:

Caliban’s War from the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey

The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan 

and the Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris

I rotate through them depending on how heavy of a read I feel like after work and time with a six month old.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

"Good Omens" -- terrific book, trying to keep ahead of my watching of the series. Which means, trying not to binge watch, mixing in other stuff.

I’ve read it 4 times and really enjoy it every time. Definitely my favorite Neil Gaiman book. 

Alright, admittedly I’m not a big reader. However, I do enjoy it. So with that in mind, I’m feeling a surge coming on. I asked my wife(a middle school ELA teacher) to give me a list of her top 10 books for me to read. Tonight I started reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time in 25 years. Her list includes:

A Gathering of Old Men
To Kill a Mockingbird
Catcher in the Rye
Gone with the Wind
Pride and Prejudice 
Hound of the Baskervilles
The Giver
Harry Potter #1
The Hobbit
A Christmas Carol

Short stories...
The Tale Tell Heart...Poe
A Rose for Emily...Faulkner

Play:
Our Town

Some of these I have read, others I haven’t. I have my work cut out for me, but I asked for it.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:43 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

1. Great thread.

2. Also just got done with Ready Player One and really, really loved it. A very rare combination of good, compelling storytelling and lack of cynicism I thought. Exactly the kind of pure fun that I needed. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but I thought it really did capture the epic, fun adventure of 80s movies like Goonies, Raiders and Back to the Future. Honestly wish there were a dozen more like it. Because I've now finally moved on to book 2 of Game of Thrones and it's not nearly as "fun". 

3. Speaking of that, I'm on Audible. Highly recommend, especially if you're in the car a lot. I have an hour long commute and between books on Audible and podcasts, I often enjoy said commute a lot. 

4. Jade City by Fonda Lee. I believe it's the first in an anthology and I will be following up. Very interesting fantasy? crime noir? story. I'm really into world building lately and Lee does something very cool and unique.

5. All the Light We Cannot See, don't remember the author, starts off slow and then builds fast. Maybe my favorite book of the last 5 years. A war book, but much more than that.

6. The Broken Earth series by NK Jemisin. More fantasy/world-building.

7. The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin. It's what the show with Zach from Saved by the Bell is based off of. Haven't seen the show. Probably won't. Incredible books.

8. @AURex, thanks for the Good Omens rec. Watched the show and read American Gods not that long ago. I'm on board with Gaiman. I'm also passively into mythology. (Was actively into it as a kid.)

9. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien might be my favorite book ever. It's about the Vietnam War, but also about memory and how different reality is for every person because reality is just whatever we individually remember it to be.

10. High Fidelity in case you only saw the movie. And anything Nick Hornby has written.  

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Orlando Sun Sentinel at the moment

Amazing almost thing of the past.........When USA Today was relatively new it was a must read.......especially for the Top 25 HS football.

I listen to audio books while cycling. I usually do Grisham or James Patterson. Just finished Rooster Bar. Probably the least favorite Grisham I’ve read. Been trying to finish Truman Capote, In Cold Blood for three or four years. I get side tracked and start over and repeat it all again. I guess I need to get the audio version. 

11 hours ago, alexava said:

I listen to audio books while cycling. I usually do Grisham or James Patterson. Just finished Rooster Bar. Probably the least favorite Grisham I’ve read. Been trying to finish Truman Capote, In Cold Blood for three or four years. I get side tracked and start over and repeat it all again. I guess I need to get the audio version. 

I *loved* In Cold Blood.

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

It was a good book and a very good movie

I have got to make myself finish it. I don’t know how I keep getting stuck. My body and sleep pattern and how I deal with my job has been wearing me down lately. When i get relaxed enough to read, I doze off. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

I have got to make myself finish it. I don’t know how I keep getting stuck. My body and sleep pattern and how I deal with my job has been wearing me down lately. When i get relaxed enough to read, I doze off. 

I really don't read books anymore I'll be asleep in 10 minutes usually. Still trying to finish the book on Steven Jobs for over a year

On 7/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, McLoofus said:

1. Great thread.

2. Also just got done with Ready Player One and really, really loved it. A very rare combination of good, compelling storytelling and lack of cynicism I thought. Exactly the kind of pure fun that I needed. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but I thought it really did capture the epic, fun adventure of 80s movies like Goonies, Raiders and Back to the Future. Honestly wish there were a dozen more like it. Because I've now finally moved on to book 2 of Game of Thrones and it's not nearly as "fun". 

3. Speaking of that, I'm on Audible. Highly recommend, especially if you're in the car a lot. I have an hour long commute and between books on Audible and podcasts, I often enjoy said commute a lot. 

4. Jade City by Fonda Lee. I believe it's the first in an anthology and I will be following up. Very interesting fantasy? crime noir? story. I'm really into world building lately and Lee does something very cool and unique.

5. All the Light We Cannot See, don't remember the author, starts off slow and then builds fast. Maybe my favorite book of the last 5 years. A war book, but much more than that.

6. The Broken Earth series by NK Jemisin. More fantasy/world-building.

7. The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin. It's what the show with Zach from Saved by the Bell is based off of. Haven't seen the show. Probably won't. Incredible books.

8. @AURex, thanks for the Good Omens rec. Watched the show and read American Gods not that long ago. I'm on board with Gaiman. I'm also passively into mythology. (Was actively into it as a kid.)

9. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien might be my favorite book ever. It's about the Vietnam War, but also about memory and how different reality is for every person because reality is just whatever we individually remember it to be.

10. High Fidelity in case you only saw the movie. And anything Nick Hornby has written.  

Audible is great. Makes the time and miles fly by. I might have to take your recommendation on High Fidelity. Loved the movie. 

On 7/24/2019 at 8:03 PM, alexava said:

I really should try that as well.......I do the same thing when reading..........My wife can disappear in a book.

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I really should try that as well.......I do the same thing when reading..........My wife can disappear in a book.

My wife can read two frickin books a day me it can take years

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

My wife can read two frickin books a day me it can take years

I read like Joey Tribiani. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived