Sign in to follow this  
ShocksMyBrain

What Are You Reading?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wrapping up Tim O’Brien’s In the Lake of the Woods. 

Great read so far with about 20 pages to go. 

I envy you.........about 10 minutes in my mind goes......OOOOOO piece of candy😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I read meaningless stuff.. two are underway right now....one book and one on Kindle.....CJ Box and Harlan Coben and on wait list at my library for the next Daniel Silva book.    Just finished Bill Clinton/James Patterson..."The President is Missing"....not too bad if you skip over the political monologs that BC contributed to the story but would not actually pay money to read it.   Most of my reading is in the 'beach read" category I guess.....murder and mayhem. 

I love my libraries.....have cards at three of them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I envy you.........about 10 minutes in my mind goes......OOOOOO piece of candy😂

The beginning of the book dragged a bit, I won’t disagree. But it’s a decent mystery novel and I like the bits about the Vietnam War and the effect it had on the soldiers’ psyche during and post-war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The beginning of the book dragged a bit, I won’t disagree. But it’s a decent mystery novel and I like the bits about the Vietnam War and the effect it had on the soldiers’ psyche during and post-war. 

Sorry I wasn't more clear.....I meant to say any book I start.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Sorry I wasn't more clear.....I meant to say any book I start.

 

I do better when I'm reading in comfortable chair......I'm only good for about 10 or 15 minutes when stretched out on my bed at night...where almost any book will usher me off to a sound sleep.  

Edited by AU64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 1:07 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wrapping up Tim O’Brien’s In the Lake of the Woods. 

Great read so far with about 20 pages to go. 

Great book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AU64 said:

I love my libraries.....have cards at three of them. 

I really need to get back to using the library. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I really need to get back to using the library. 

They are a great resource and with everything on line, you can download e-books or mP3 from home so easily.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Great book. 

Yep. I liked the open ending more than I thought I would. 

Went ahead and ordered The Things They Carried last night, which is supposed to be his best work and one of the best (fictional)books on the Vietnam War. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yep. I liked the open ending more than I thought I would. 

Went ahead and ordered The Things They Carried last night, which is supposed to be his best work and one of the best (fictional)books on the Vietnam War. 

Easily a top 5 book for me all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Rising in Flames: Sherman's March and the Fight for a New Nation"  by J.D. Dickey. Only 30 pages into it but so far I am very impressed with Dickey as a writer and historian.

Before that, "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennel. Fennel has found the secret to dealing with problematic dog behavior. If you have a dog - or two - you owe it to yourself to read it.

Earlier in the summer, I was reading mostly adventure/crime/military fiction (for example, Stephen Hunter's or Stuart Wood's stuff).  Even the series being marketing under Tom Clancy's name by various authors aren't bad. 

Bubble gum for the mind but fun.   (But I can only take so much before I go back to non-fiction.) 

Public libraries, GOOD!!!!  Cannot imagine life without them.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AU64 said:

They are a great resource and with everything on line, you can download e-books or mP3 from home so easily.

Good for binge watching shows too!  Recently finished "The Wire" and just checked out season 1, vol. 1 of "Mad Men"

We can request stuff from our library and it will be waiting for you on the "hold shelf".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, augolf1716 said:

My wife can read two frickin books a day me it can take years

My wife checks out 10-12 books every two weeks or so.  Pretty much all fiction.  :no:

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

My wife checks out 10-12 books every two weeks or so.  Pretty much all fiction.

At any given time I have 3 or 4 going...one on my mp3 audio that I keep in the car, plus on the computer and then a real book.....like to hold a real book most of the time...and the Kindle.  

Just finished Traitor on my Mp3...a well read book which might not have been as much fun if I just read it.  Jonathan de Shalit....and Israeli spy novel with an interesting ending....caught me by surprise. ...a good read.

Right now I'm most of the way through Baldachi's latest....Since I have to drive about a half hour to do anything, I keep an active book on the car system to listen too....hardly use my Sirius XM these days. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AU64 said:

At any given time I have 3 or 4 going...one on my mp3 audio that I keep in the car, plus on the computer and then a real book.....like to hold a real book most of the time...and the Kindle.  

Just finished Traitor on my Mp3...a well read book which might not have been as much fun if I just read it.  Jonathan de Shalit....and Israeli spy novel with an interesting ending....caught me by surprise. ...a good read.

Right now I'm most of the way through Baldachi's latest....Since I have to drive about a half hour to do anything, I keep an active book on the car system to listen too....hardly use my Sirius XM these days. 

Been listening to a lot of books on Audible. Definitely helps with the hour commute and holds my attention better than music. 

And my mother-in-law listens to books on CD and gives me those when she's done. She mostly does US history which is great for me. Personal feelings aside, Bill O'Reilly did a great job with Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Been listening to a lot of books on Audible. Definitely helps with the hour commute and holds my attention better than music. 

And my mother-in-law listens to books on CD and gives me those when she's done. She mostly does US history which is great for me. Personal feelings aside, Bill O'Reilly did a great job with Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln

Thanks.....Guess I need to listen to those....the fact that BIll O did them has turned me off from them.....never a fan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks.....Guess I need to listen to those....the fact that BIll O did them has turned me off from them.....never a fan

I thought it was going to be a problem for me, especially since he reads them. But I got over it quickly. Helps that he's actually got a great voice for things other than- I'll say contentious- oratory and debate. 

And, hey, I didn't pay for them so I'm not financing his vacation home, lol. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And, hey, I didn't pay for them so I'm not financing his vacation home, l

Tightwad that I am...for most things...I never pay for a book....as noted, three library cards and ability to download about any book that interests me direct to my computer or MP3 players.    Best thing is that we have a small private library ...more than 100 years old, well endowed and they mostly bring in popular reading books so always have a reasonable supply of best sellers.     I'll give OReilly a try...thanks but I'm afraid as soon as I hear that voice, something in my head will say....'no spin zone"  or something like that. 

Edited by AU64
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I'm kind of putting myself out here now.....Some of you may know that I am an avid bike rider.  I ride for exercise only (road biking) and mostly by myself during the week, but on weekends, I ride with other "bike people."  This book was written by Steve Justice, one of the guys I ride with from time to time.  He is a pharmacist by degree but it turns out he is a fabulous writer as well.  It is of course a bike story about one of the longest mountain bike races called the Tour Divide.  The race goes from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide which is why the name of the race is Tour Divide.  Grace Ragland (who I have met before) has MS and did this race by herself, hence the book name, Divide By One.   Even if you don't ride a bike, you will enjoy the story.  If you read it, I'd love to hear your feedback and I will make sure Steve Justice hears what you think as well.

 

content.jpeg

 

In the summer of 2018, ultra-endurance athlete Grace Ragland set off on the world's longest mountain bike race, the 2700-mile Tour Divide. This is the story of Grace's journey from the snow-capped peaks of Banff, Canada, down the spine of the Rocky Mountains, and finally into the forbidding desert of New Mexico. Grace battled many difficulties, including an infection that put her two days behind the nearest competitor, Multiple Sclerosis, the elements, demons from her past, as well as a secret that even she didn't know. Ride with Grace and laugh at her hilarious interactions with the oddballs she encountered along the way. Divide By One is an adventure story with heart and humor that shows how indomitable will and perseverance can change the way we see our limitations and our world.

Edited by auburn41
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, auburn41 said:

OK, I'm kind of putting myself out here now.....Some of you may know that I am an avid bike rider.  I ride for exercise only (road biking) and mostly by myself during the week, but on weekends, I ride with other "bike people."  This book was written by Steve Justice, one of the guys I ride with from time to time.  He is a pharmacist by degree but it turns out he is a fabulous writer as well.  It is of course a bike story about one of the longest mountain bike races called the Tour Divide.  The race goes from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide which is why the name of the race is Tour Divide.  Grace Ragland (who I have met before) has MS and did this race by herself, hence the book name, Divide By One.   Even if you don't ride a bike, you will enjoy the story.  If you read it, I'd love to hear your feedback and I will make sure Steve Justice hears what you think as well.

 

content.jpeg

 

In the summer of 2018, ultra-endurance athlete Grace Ragland set off on the world's longest mountain bike race, the 2700-mile Tour Divide. This is the story of Grace's journey from the snow-capped peaks of Banff, Canada, down the spine of the Rocky Mountains, and finally into the forbidding desert of New Mexico. Grace battled many difficulties, including an infection that put her two days behind the nearest competitor, Multiple Sclerosis, the elements, demons from her past, as well as a secret that even she didn't know. Ride with Grace and laugh at her hilarious interactions with the oddballs she encountered along the way. Divide By One is an adventure story with heart and humor that shows how indomitable will and perseverance can change the way we see our limitations and our world.

This reminds me of "Blind Courage: Journey of Faith" by Bill Irwin, David McCasland, which is the story of a blind hiker who hiked the Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog.

Thanks for the lead!   I'll check it out.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished "When A Nation Forgets God" and started "The Player", which is about the life of Christy Matthewson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, homersapien said:

This reminds me of "Blind Courage: Journey of Faith" by Bill Irwin, David McCasland, which is the story of a blind hiker who hiked the Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog.

Thanks for the lead!   I'll check it out.

 

If you like it, please post a review of it somewhere.  Steve Justice is his own advertising department.  That is to say the only way people will know about the book is by word of mouth.  I posted this here and on my Facebook page.  I really enjoyed it and I hope you do as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I miss this awesome thread?  I am a reading nerd.  More so in the summer than in the first week of school.  My favorite summer recommends...

Driven by Eternity--John Bevere

Is This the End?: Signs of God's Providence in a Disturbing New World--David Jeremiah 

Authentic Faith--Gary Thomas  (that one's actually now)

Dangerous Surrender--Kay Warren

Fewer Things, Better: The Courage to Focus on What Matters Most--Angela Watson 

Can I also add that one of my new 2nd graders picked up a book in my Europe collection about WWII and the Holocaust today (a sweet baby last year became captivated and purchased it at the book fair for our classroom)?  He is HOPPING MAD right now about how those sad people were treated that "needed food to eat, got separated from their families, weren't healthy, and looked different than that bad leader."  [That's my G-version.]  I e-mailed his parents and let them know that his brave, sensitive heart was a Godsend already and that he will probably want to dig further---with their guidance!  #ReadersAreLeaders  #BraveBoldConversations #DiversityStartsYoung

 

 

 

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

How did I miss this awesome thread?  I am a reading nerd.  More so in the summer than in the first week of school.  My favorite summer recommends...

Driven by Eternity--John Bevere

Is This the End?: Signs of God's Providence in a Disturbing New World--David Jeremiah 

Authentic Faith--Gary Thomas  (that one's actually now)

Dangerous Surrender--Kay Warren

Fewer Things, Better: The Courage to Focus on What Matters Most--Angela Watson 

Can I also add that one of my new 2nd graders picked up a book in my Europe collection about WWII and the Holocaust today (a sweet baby last year became captivated and purchased it at the book fair for our classroom)?  He is HOPPING MAD right now about how those sad people were treated that "needed food to eat, got separated from their families, weren't healthy, and looked different than that bad leader."  [That's my G-version.]  I e-mailed his parents and let them know that his brave, sensitive heart was a Godsend already and that he will probably want to dig further---with their guidance!  #ReadersAreLeaders  #BraveBoldConversations #DiversityStartsYoung

 

 

 

Instruct him to read Diary of Anne Frank and Zlata’s Diary(non-fiction re: Sarajevo). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this