Kam Martin on Doak Walker List

toddc

Seems a little odd our athletic department would put him ahead of Whitlow, but maybe just rewarding him as a senior!

Auburn’s Kam Martin makes Doak Walker Award watch list

Updated 12:29 PM; Today 12:25 PM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Kam Martin Auburn Football A-Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletic

635 shares

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn senior Kam Martin was named to the preseason watch list for the Doak Walker Award on Wednesday, the PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced.

Martin is one of 72 players from across the country named to the watch list for the award, which is given annually to the nation’s top running back. The list is led by last year’s winner, Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor, and includes 10 other running backs from within the SEC.

As a junior in 2018, Martin rushed for 458 yards and a touchdown on 103 carries. He was the Tigers’ second-leading rusher behind then-redshirt freshman Boobee Whitlow, who ran for 787 yards and six touchdowns on 150 carries. Whitlow was not among the 72 running backs named to the preseason watch list on Wednesday.

Auburn’s Derrick Brown named to Bednarik Award watch list

Players on the watch list were nominated by their school’s athletic department, and more nominees can be added to the list through October. After that, 10 semifinalists will be named in November, with three finalists -- as voted on by the Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee -- will be announced Nov. 20.

This year’s recipient of the Doak Walker Award will be announced Dec. 12 during the Home Depot College Football Awards Show, which will air on ESPN.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

Seems a little odd our athletic department would put him ahead of Whitlow, but maybe just rewarding him as a senior!

Or others realize he is better than most our fans give him credit for.

Just now, bigbird said:

I definitely agree with that statement!

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Coaches too since he didn't get many carries during stretches of last season. 

Kam Martin recorded a carry in 11 games. Martin didn't touch the ball against A&M and UGA last year. 74 of Martin 103 carries came in 4 games. Washington, Southern Miss, Liberty, and Purdue. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4035497/kam-martin

16 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Coaches too since he didn't get many carries during stretches of last season. 

Kam Martin recorded a carry in 11 games. Martin didn't touch the ball against A&M and UGA last year. 74 of Martin 103 carries came in 4 games. Washington, Southern Miss, Liberty, and Purdue. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4035497/kam-martin

Is that lack of talent or lack of OL and the necessity to max protect every play?

Before you answer, look back at his YPC in 2016-17 compared to 2018.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Is that lack of talent or lack of OL and the necessity to max protect every play?

Before you answer, look back at his YPC in 2016-17 compared to 2018.

Why then was Shivers getting more carries later in the year if our OL wasn't good enough?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4371977/shaun-shivers

I'm not arguing that Shivers is unworthy of carries but why was Martin not getting more carries?

Starting with the Ole Miss game, Shivers got used more and Martin was used less. From the Ole Miss game through the rest of the season, Shivers had 43 carries and Martin had 34 carries

20 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Why then was Shivers getting more carries later in the year if our OL wasn't good enough?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4371977/shaun-shivers

I'm not arguing that Shivers is unworthy of carries but why was Martin not getting more carries?

Starting with the Ole Miss game, Shivers got used more and Martin was used less. From the Ole Miss game through the rest of the season, Shivers had 43 carries and Martin had 34 carries

1st, Worm is nothing like KMart with regards to running style. Shivers should be compared to Boobiee and, IMO, should start over him.

The answer to KMart numbers in my opinion is that they were trying to make KMart into KJ. He's not that type of runner. So when he struggled he slipped down the chart. However, In the bama game he started running the way he did in previous years. Had 2 nice runs in the very beginning of the game and then never seen again.

So, mismanagement with regards to what type of runner he is and mismanagement of when and how to use him.

JMO

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1st, Worm is nothing like KMart with regards to running style. Shivers should be compared to Boobiee and, IMO, should start over him.

I approve this message.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Shivers should be compared to Boobiee and, IMO, should start over him.

Could not agree more.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So, mismanagement with regards to what type of runner he is and mismanagement of when and how to use him.

JMO

Player utilization across the board on offense is inexplicable much of the time. A problem under Gus since he arrived as HC.

Hopefully, Caddy will have some say in player utilization this year.  He knows what it is like to be used too much in a season.  I would expect him to have some say in the rotation and who will start or play....

Shivers, Boobie, and DJ are all probably better backs than Kam Martin. Kam’s pass support blocking is still below average and he really hasn’t been the HR threat that we need. That he was the Auburn Tiger that made the Doak award watch list is interesting to put it nicely. 

24 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Hopefully, Caddy will have some say in player utilization this year.  He knows what it is like to be used too much in a season.  I would expect him to have some say in the rotation and who will start or play....

If they only hired Carnell to recruit and not have inputs on the offense then he probably won't stick around too long.  I think he'll have input.  

I'm not Anti-Boobie, I'm Pro-Shivers. Nothing summed up his usage better than being buried on the bench in the Bama game after he broke the long run called back on the phantom hold. In a game where AU's only(slim) shot was hitting big plays. Hope I didn't come across as being down on Boobie.

2 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Due to his own history, he also understands being part of an uber-successful rotation.

He also understands injury and the need to have depth in the backfield.

Now, I don't have a clue what type of, or how good, a coach he'll be but if he could convince CGM to address those two things alone, it would probably do wonders for the season long offensive.

To the OP, KM is a curious pick to me.  I mean, he may very well be that good this year but I thought everybody and their brother expected him to be no higher than 2nd on the DC and probably 3rd once Shivers really steps out.  Matter of fact, I'd almost put Shivers on the list over Boobee...but I have a gut feeling Boobee is gonna enhance his game this year and push up his performance 😁.

Unless we end up with history just continuing to repeat itself, I'm all in for the Boobee-Worm Backfield.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

not alot of Boobie love around these parts

I ❤️ Boobie’s ability.  😁.  Kam has a bad habit of running right into the line of scrimmage and fall down no matter what offensive line. Boobie is almost too patient and got tackled a lot behind the line waiting for a hole.  Kam will get carries cause Gus and have Good games. Until he shows it against a good team I’m not buying it.Good games. Until he shows it against a good team I’m not buying it.  Mop up after 3rd game

Boobie - every down.

Worm - 2nd string. Needs at least 10 touches a game.

Kmart - pass catcher. East-West. Needs 3-5 touches in open space each game. KR/PR would be an excellent role for him too. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Kmart - pass catcher. East-West. Needs 3-5 touches in open space each game. KR/PR would be an excellent role for him too. 

he's not a E/W runner. He is at his best when moving N/S attacking the LoS and hitting the hole hard. 

This thread highlights  that Caddy has a lot of options. Whitlow, Martin, and Shivers all have different styles and skill sets. DJ Williams is going to be hard to keep off the field, and Mark-Anthony Richards comes in with great measurables. And Miller gets criticized for a lack of speed, but he comes up with some key touches, usually on third down, and in big moments of big games. Go crazy Cadillac, go crazy!

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Boobie - every down.

Worm - 2nd string. Needs at least 10 touches a game.

No offense but this sounds like you've made up your mind by looking at their metrics and not watching them play football. 

Sometimes I think our staff has done the same. 

How would y’all split the carries? Seems like everyone around here always has the answers to what the coaching staff should do

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

How would y’all split the carries? Seems like everyone around here always has the answers to what the coaching staff should do

Look at bama most years since saban got there. Look at uga each year since kirby got there. Look at Oklahoma since Riley's been coaching. Look at Clemson, Ohio State, or almost any team that has consistently ranked highly in rushing, total offense, total scoring, and the AP rankings. Very few of them will have any one guy with over 225 carries. 

Bama does a great job of putting guys into roles, and those are 5 star guys they’re doing that with. They have a weird affliction with abandoning the run game the second a DL smacks them in the mouth, but for the most part they keep a consistent rotation 

Archived