Kam Martin on Doak Walker List

toddc

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

1st, Worm is nothing like KMart with regards to running style. Shivers should be compared to Boobiee and, IMO, should start over him.

The answer to KMart numbers in my opinion is that they were trying to make KMart into KJ. He's not that type of runner. So when he struggled he slipped down the chart. However, In the bama game he started running the way he did in previous years. Had 2 nice runs in the very beginning of the game and then never seen again.

So, mismanagement with regards to what type of runner he is and mismanagement of when and how to use him.

JMO

is that why we replaced our rb coach with cadillac

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

No. There were other reasons for that. The time had come.

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

not alot of Boobie love around these parts

I'm a huge Boobie fan!!! Soooo much more than Josh Booty.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

he's not a E/W runner. He is at his best when moving N/S attacking the LoS and hitting the hole hard. 

Well that's just not going to be his role on this team, nor should it. We have big backs to fight between the tackles. Kam has done well N/S but only against the GSUs, Alabama A&Ms, and Mizzous of the world. We saw him as the workhorse back against Washington, where he toted it 22 times for 80 yards. 3.6 YPC. They need to use his world class speed on the edge.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Horton botched Asa’s redshirt. It’s not up to the HC to know games played numbers.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Well that's just not going to be his role on this team, nor should it. We have big backs to fight between the tackles. Kam has done well N/S but only against the GSUs, Alabama A&Ms, and Mizzous of the world. We saw him as the workhorse back against Washington, where he toted it 22 times for 80 yards. 3.6 YPC. They need to use his world class speed on the edge.

I don't think Bird is suggesting that he needs to be a workhouse back - he's just saying that Kam is a one cut and go type back and needs to be utilized as such. He's not the patient runner that KJ was, and we don't need to treat him as if he were. I don't know if this is the answer, but backs like Kam typically get cast as zone scheme backs, and quite frankly he may be better suited for man/gap schemed runs where the line is attacking the LOS vertically.  Kam isn't a push the pile guy, but if you give him a hole he can hit downhill immediately, his burst gets him through the second level in a hurry.

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Look at bama most years since saban got there. Look at uga each year since kirby got there. Look at Oklahoma since Riley's been coaching. Look at Clemson, Ohio State, or almost any team that has consistently ranked highly in rushing, total offense, total scoring, and the AP rankings. Very few of them will have any one guy with over 225 carries. 

Oh lord, now you’ve done it. How I envision Mikey contemplating Loof right now:

92A6F404-B977-4B04-B489-192556A05DB7.gif

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Against Washington? That's when the OL was at it best, right?

It's amazing that people(not specifically you) think like that. His explosive plays and YPC his Freshman and sophomore years were much better than his junior. Why do you think that happened? Do people think that another year in the system, another year stronger, and another year faster would make a RB worse? Could it be that losing James, Dunn, Golson , and Smith was a large contributing factor to the drop off?

Give KMart the carries, put him behind a competent line that opens holes, and allow him to attack the LoS and people will be impressed.

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's amazing that people(not specifically you) think like that. His explosive plays and YPC his Freshman and sophomore years were much better than his junior. Why do you think that happened? Do people think that another year in the system, another year stronger, and another year faster would make a RB worse? Could it be that losing James, Dunn, Golson , and Smith was a large contributing factor to the drop off?

Give KMart the carries, put him behind a competent line that opens holes, and allow him to attack the LoS and people will be impressed.

I remember people thinking that he would fall down at the LOS because he's too small. Nope. He did that once or twice because he hit the hole going full speed and leaned into contact that never came because he's literally that explosive. I'm sure that will make some folks roll their eyes. Don't care. Dude is a demon. Hopefully Caddy will appreciate him for what he is and encourage Gus to take advantage of his skill set, as opposed to the last coaching configuration trying to turn him into something he's not meant to be. 

MAN, the ways in which we have mismanaged SO much elite talent...

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

He looks impressive at times but honestly, watch the tape, these carries are against Alabama A&M, GSU, Southern Miss. He does have good footwork. I would let him run sweeps, throwback screens, and trick plays.

It's also less that I don't believe in Kam and more that I am a big believer Boobie and Worm could be the next great Auburn tandem. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's also less that I don't believe in Kam and more that I am a big believer Boobie and Worm could be the next great Auburn tandem. 

That's where we differ. I think, if all are used correctly, then Boobee is probably the 3rd or 4th best back. JMO

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's where we differ. I think, if all are used correctly, then Boobee is probably the 3rd or 4th best back. JMO

I think the range of opinions, or lack of consensus on that question is just proof that we have several very capable backs. At least that's my takeaway.  👍

On 7/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, bigbird said:

1st, Worm is nothing like KMart with regards to running style. Shivers should be compared to Boobiee and, IMO, should start over him.

The answer to KMart numbers in my opinion is that they were trying to make KMart into KJ. He's not that type of runner. So when he struggled he slipped down the chart. However, In the bama game he started running the way he did in previous years. Had 2 nice runs in the very beginning of the game and then never seen again.

So, mismanagement with regards to what type of runner he is and mismanagement of when and how to use him.

JMO

I dont agree. I don't think KMart could handle too many carries without ending up injured. I guess we could just run him more and find out though. I like KM running the ball, but he's never gonna get that many carries. He's just not that guy.

Archived