All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've actually been wondering the same thing. Saw something a while back that make me think Nix might actually be older.

So here is what i found out about Nix

Now thinking about it... I guess Nix could have missed the cut off date by days from being a grade up. Thats what happened to me. If i was born 3 days earlier i would of graduated high school in 1996. But those 3 days caused me to graduate in 1997. 

Guess it could be something like that. 

Capture+_2019-08-01-10-13-54.png

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I have a question that someone can hopefully answer for me. I saw someone say on YouTube that Nix is actually older than Gatewood. Anyone know if this is true?

It's true. Per the AU site via google search Joey's Birthday is April 17th. Joey was 17 his SR year of high school. While most are 18 some are 17. I was 17 my SR year.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's true. Per the AU site via google search Joey's Birthday is April 17th. Joey was 17 his SR year of high school. While most are 18 some are 17. I was 17 my SR year.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, did Joey celebrate his 17th birthday as a senior or his 18th? I have a March birthday and several of my friends had summer birthdays and turned 18 only a month or two before starting college. 

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To clarify: Are you saying Joey turned 17 in April of his senior year, or was 17 during his senior year and turned 18 in April of his senior year.  So, they're both 19 but Bo is about two months older?

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, did Joey celebrate his 17th birthday as a senior or his 18th? I have a March birthday and several of my friends had summer birthdays and turned 18 only a month or two before starting college. 

@WalkingCarpet He was 17 the 1 semester he was a SR in HS. He enrolled at AU last January & turned 18 the following April. Had he stayed in HS for 2 semesters like a standard HS student he would have spent all his SR year except the last month as a 17 year old.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So as we enter Fall Camp.....what are the latest predictions of the " Bo-Gate" Saga?

I'm going with Boey Natewood. :)

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@WalkingCarpet He was 17 the 1 semester he was a SR in HS. He enrolled at AU last January & turned 18 the following April. Had he stayed in HS for 2 semesters like a standard HS student he would have spent all his SR year except the last month as a 17 year old.

Ah, I forgot he enrolled early. Thanks for clearing this up. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

To clarify: Are you saying Joey turned 17 in April of his senior year, or was 17 during his senior year and turned 18 in April of his senior year.  So, they're both 19 but Bo is about two months older?

Yes Bo is older than Gatewood 

I really want to add (Birthday Talk Edition) to the thread title but I know some won't appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So as we enter Fall Camp.....what are the latest predictions of the " Bo-Gate" Saga?

I'm sticking with Joey Gatewould

Bo-gatewoody! Um, uh, never mind.🙃

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Joey-gatewoody! Um, uh, never mind.🙃

Definitely needs a Woody from Cheers GIF

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

I really want to add (Birthday Talk Edition) to the thread title but I know some won't appreciate it.

Especially since im the one who started it

Agile on the ground or deadly through the air? 

PhotoGrid_1564751193859.jpg

AL.com All-Access: How good will Auburn’s quarterbacks be in 2019?

Posted Aug 01, 9:11 AM

Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Freshman Bo Nix (10) is battling with Joey Gatewood to be Auburn's starting quarterback in 2019.

395 shares

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

As Auburn begins fall football camp this weekend, we know one thing for certain — the Tigers will start a freshman at quarterback for the entire 2019 season.

We don’t know yet if it will be redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood or true freshman Bo Nix who takes the first snap in the Aug. 31 opener against Oregon. Moreover, it’s possible the one who starts the season doesn’t necessarily finish it.

Freshman quarterbacks nowadays enter college football more prepared than ever to play immediately and play well, even in the SEC. There are a number of reasons for this, including the proliferation of 7-on-7 camps and competitions and year-round personal quarterback training.

But what to expect from Gatewood and/or Nix in 2019? It would be instructive to look at some other recent redshirt or true freshman starting quarterbacks in the SEC.

As you might expect, the success level on both a team and individual level is all over the map.

Johnny Manziel won the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt freshman at Texas A&M in 2012, accounting for more than 5,000 yards and 47 touchdowns combined rushing and passing and leading the Aggies to an 11-2 finish. Hoping that Gatewood or Nix turns into Manziel immediately might be shooting a little high.

Jalen Hurts was SEC Offensive Player of the Year at Alabama in 2016, totaling more than 3,800 yards of offense with 36 touchdowns. Hurts of course had a phenomenal supporting cast, something Gatewood and Nix might not be blessed with.

Georgia had back-to-back true freshman starting quarterbacks in Jacob Eason in 2016 and Jake Fromm in 2017. Eason — now at Washington — was solid if not spectacular, before a knee injury early the next season cost him his starting job.

Fromm was SEC Freshman of the Year, and finished ninth in the nation in passing efficiency. He also led the Bulldogs to the national championship game, coming within one defensive stop of a title.

Hurts, Eason and Fromm have something else in common, in that none of them started their team’s first game of the year (Greyson Lambert started Georgia’s 2016 opener, while redshirt freshman Blake Barnett took the first snap for Alabama that year). Same goes for South Carolina’s Jake Bentley, who replaced an ineffective Brandon McIlwain midway through the 2016 season.

Bentley performed fairly well that year, though the Gamecocks went 6-7. Eason’s Bulldogs finished 8-5 in Kirby Smart’s first year.

Tennessee’s Jarrett Guarantano started six games as a redshirt freshman in 2017, but the Volunteers finished 4-8 and got their head coach fired. Florida’s Feleipe Franks started eight games that same season, but the Gators went 4-7 and also saw their head coach sent packing.

Auburn had a redshirt freshman starting quarterback for much of the 2015 season — Sean White. The Tigers finished that year at 7-6, with home losses to both Georgia and Alabama (though White played only sparingly vs. the Bulldogs and didn’t play at all vs. the Crimson Tide).

(For the record, Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa didn’t make his first career start until his sophomore year. However, he played extensively as a true freshman, including the entire second half and overtime of the Crimson Tide’s triumphant national championship game).

Could we see a Barnett/Hurts situation with Gatewood and Nix, where one takes the first snap of the season but the other is clearly better and takes over soon after and leads his team to glory? It’s possible.

It’s also possible the Tigers crash and burn with a young quarterback, the way Tennessee and Florida did in 2017. Again, that’s unlikely given the strength of Auburn’s roster at other positions.

More likely, it’s somewhere in the middle, with a finish along the lines of 2016 Georgia. Would 8-5 be considered a success for Auburn, or would Tigers fans’ patience have worn out by then following a second straight slightly-above-average season?

So what do you think? How good will Gatewood and/or Nix be in 2019? How good will Auburn be?

I’ll take your questions and comments on that or anything else on your mind beginning at 10 a.m.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, aujeff11 said:

We know it’s simplistic. The NFL loathes our offense because they cannot easily evaluate our players for their systems. That doesn’t mean I want to go pro style or start humming the ball 46 times per game in a Kliff Kingsbury offense. It doesn’t even matter that you hate the offense, and that I like  what it was in 2013 and some spurts in 2017, because Gus is going to do Gus until he’s gone regardless of we think about it. 

As a Gatewood fan I also hope that Gus will be a very good play caller for him. 

I think every Auburn fan liked what it was on '13 & parts of '17, wouldn't you agree? 

But in a 6 yr span, there has been a ton to dislike about his offense, and like you said Gus is going to do Gus no matter what.  He damn sure better get back to the '13 philosophy real quick and blow the league up with it, because his time is running short and the patience of the people is real thin.

This entire thing all revolves around the OL staying healthy. 

Either QB can succeed in this offense, it doesnt matter if its Gatewood running the inside veer or if its Nix running the Stidham offense... Either QB can succeed as long as the OL is healthy. We are an injury at OT away from a disaster, regardless of the QB. 

Personally i want to see Joey Gatewood become a household name running an offense that very much resembles the 2010 offense. But its not like it would disappoint me to see Nix sling it for 3500 either. 

Just with Shivers and/or Schwartz in the OMac role the Boobee and/or DJ at RB going inside and out AND having the threat of a 6'5 240+LB QB running inside also... I just dont see how anyone wouldnt want to see that. 

I just hope if Gatewood wins the job and blows up that Patrick Nix will convince Bo to wait his turn. I hate all the transferring...

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I think every Auburn fan liked what it was on '13 & parts of '17, wouldn't you agree? 

But in a 6 yr span, there has been a ton to dislike about his offense, and like you said Gus is going to do Gus no matter what.  He damn sure better get back to the '13 philosophy real quick and blow the league up with it, because his time is running short and the patience of the people is real thin.

I think 2014 and 2016 (when healthy) should be added to the list too. All four of those teams were deadly on the ground and could make you pay off play action. Still beyond pissed that Pettway and Sean White got hurt before UGA. 

13 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think 2014 and 2016 (when healthy) should be added to the list too. All four of those teams were deadly on the ground and could make you pay off play action. Still beyond pissed that Pettway and Sean White got hurt before UGA. 

Yeah. I feel like we could have been better prepared for those losses, and even still could have done a better job of handling them in that uga game. But I mean, come on. Losing Pettway on an injury that happened while he was basically out for an afternoon jog towards Vandy's end zone? Maaaaan, it's hard out here for an Auburn fan. 

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Sean White is the reason Gus is still coaching for Auburn. If he didn't come in and get us to a bowl in '15 and be the guy who lead the best parts of '16 Gus would have been toast. That Georgia game was almost three years ago and I am still irrationally angry about it. 

Can't agree with that in 15 we was going to win the weak part of the schedule regardless I can't hardly remember 16 because it was such a pathetic year......but I'm not going to start and post facts about the SW myth in 15 everybody who believes in it will continue regardless and vice versa, nobody is changing anybody's minds

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Can't agree with that in 15 we was going to win the weak part of the schedule regardless I can't hardly remember 16 because it was such a pathetic year......but I'm not going to start and post facts about the SW myth in 15 everybody who believes in it will continue regardless and vice versa, nobody is changing anybody's minds

The only difference I can potentially see if SW didn’t play in 15 is that we drop the Kentucky game as well. 

Could argue a healthy SW gives us a win over UGA, as well as argue that never playing SW hurt against UGA could’ve also given us a win over UGA then. 

As for 2016. That was actually a pretty solid rushing team. At its peak I believe we were averaging almost 275yds or so per game on the ground. White wasn’t asked to do much during our 6 game win streak either. Only went over 20 pass attempts in 2 of those games. That being said, before his injury, he was leading the SEC in pass efficiency. Kinda sucks we lost SW, and pettway to injury before UGA. Hell, we had to bring out banged up SW at half time to prevent a home loss to Vandy lol.

Archived