All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

No matter what Gus says before opening day, the QB won’t be decided for real until after at least the Oregon game. Both will play and of course it will be live so we will really know how both will react.Just my guess.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You may want to read PTBs posts on the last 2 pages of the scrimmage 2 thread.

Okay, your post is 13 mins old as I read it.  Based on yesterday is that the thread who's pages reproduce like Tribbles?

giphy (6).gif

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, your post is 13 mins old as I read it.  Based on yesterday is that the thread who's pages reproduce like Tribbles?

giphy (6).gif

Yes but I narrowed it down to the last 2 pages for you so you should be fine....as long as you read soon. lol

On 7/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, aujeff11 said:

He’d be an idiot to give up his chance of gamesmanship by forcing Oregon to prepare for two. I’m sure his team will know for a fortnight and some change though.

This game won't be won or lost by trying to make Oregon prepare for both QBs. 

1 hour ago, AUGunsmith said:

This game won't be won or lost by trying to make Oregon prepare for both QBs. 

You’re right. We don’t have to make life easier for them though. 

Guys,

It's gonna take 4 games for Gus to even understand which QB can do what. This won't be decided until October. And if it's Joey then Cord will be the backup to preserve Bo's redshirt IMO

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Guys,

It's gonna take 4 games for Gus to even understand which QB can do what. This won't be decided until October. And if it's Joey then Cord will be the backup to preserve Bo's redshirt IMO

I agree unfortunately.

I'm always excited & positive before a season but until the Gus Groundhog Day Cycle is broken, I expect the exact same thing.....plus, same goes with the RBs as well.

IMO even in the '10 & '13 seasons, he didn't truly seem to know what he had in Cam/Michael nor Nick/Tre until well into the season.  I'm not sure the teams were comfortable in their own skin, so to speak, until the Kentucky (6th) & Texas A&M (7th) games respectively those years.

That's why I have the Tigers at 3-3 after 6 games.  4-2 if UF falls on their face by then...

53 minutes ago, Tiger said:

if it's Joey then Cord will be the backup to preserve Bo's redshirt IMO

Just an opinion but nope. I don't see either one RSing.

I believe both will get significant playing time this year.  Accomplishes many things,  including keeping them both fighting for the starting job in Aug of 2020.  Can't afford to let one transfer!

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Guys,

Thanks....either way you're going to have to see how a guy responds to getting hit.....no ifs ands or buts

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Thanks....either way you're going to have to see how a guy responds to getting hit.....no ifs ands or buts

Which is how people who played football can't understand how to have a legit competition without this... Lots of practice and camp warriors out there

Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate said on their podcast earlier today that they expect it to be announced any day now that Bo Nix will be the starter.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate said on their podcast earlier today that they expect it to be announced any day now that Bo Nix will be the starter.

If that is the case...i would think there are 2 major reasons for Nix starting:

1. He has a QB's overall mentality. He has learned ALL the aspects that go into being a QB that knows all parts of an offense and how he can execute within it. Gatewood (no fault of his own) has not had enough reps in his history to learn the same).

2. He is the more polished passer and knows how to make plays w/ consistency for now and the future.

While I still think Gatewood WILL play, it will be for specific plays....and down and field position. 

One thing that OC Dillingham said stuck w/ me. He said the key was which QB when in a bad situation simply handles it as a bad situation BUT doesn't make it a WORSE situation. If it is Nix as reported, he provides them that scenario better than JG.

As for real life....I really don't care who starts at this moment.....I think both have great potential and I'm good with whoever the coaches select to start....and even ok if they play both of them …..though I would hate it if Bo is brought in on 3rd and 12 or something like that......but bringing Joey in when it's third and 2 inside the 30....I'm good with that.     Mostly....just bring it on....

The data determining who is Auburn's starting quarterback

quote:
AUBURN, Alabama — Whether it's next week or when the season opens, Auburn will pick a starting quarterback.

It will happen, even if both split snaps in the season opener Aug. 31 against Oregon. The two options are true freshman Bo Nix, the son of an Auburn legend; and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood, the strong-armed, big-bodied quarterback that has fans dreaming of inside-zone plays and running over linebackers.

Both can throw deep. Both are accurate. And both can run.

But only one can be the starter and the day is coming when coach Gus Malzahn sits them both down in his office and tells them his decision. Then it's up to offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to settle emotions.

"We've already talked about it," Auburn's first-year OC said. "Everybody in that room is going to help us this year. And you see it year in and year out. Our motto is ride for the brand. So if you're with us right now, you're with us.

And that's kind of what we've talked about in our room. We have to be the closest room on the football team regardless of who wins the job. We're going to have each other's back in all aspects of life. And that's kind of what we've talked about. And we've put that on the table since I got here, and I firmly believe in that."

How Auburn's coaches have handled the competition is nothing short of stressful. The Tigers are installing plays day to day faster than at any other time in Malzahn's six previous preseason camps.

"They're keeping up, for sure," receivers coach and co-OC Kodi Burns said. "I've really been impressed with both of them, to be honest, just to be able to go out there and run with the first team and handle what they've handled.

We're throwing a lot at them as ... freshmen, as quarterbacks. But I think they've done a really good job so far."

Coaches applied the expectation on the quarterbacks to improve their accuracy and timing with their teammates in voluntary workouts and passing drills in the summer.

The competition was so fierce, Nix and Gatewood would argue over who would throw the first pass in summer workouts with teammates, defensive lineman Derrick Brown said.

"You can see the growth from spring," Dillingham said. "... What people don't realize is we can’t watch them throw the football, we can’t do football with them from spring until camp.

So, watching them learn the offense, get better and come out and execute things from spring until now, they've all drastically gotten better. So I've been pleased with both of them. I think they are both really good players. We've been dealing with both. We’ll just kinda see how camp ends up."

Dillingham said he "wouldn't say" Auburn is "much closer" to announcing a starter, adding that the coaches do have more "data" on each player and their specialties, strengths and weaknesses.

"We're measuring times you put the ball in jeopardy, times you had bad footwork that causes a potential turnover, times that you're in rhythm with a throw, times that you locate the football," Dillingham said. "All of those things we measure daily, to see who gives us the best chance to win."

Nix threw three interceptions — two deflections off receivers — in the first scrimmage of preseason camp, but was the only quarterback to lead the offense to a touchdown with two passes and a rushing score by a running back, according to sources. Both quarterbacks scored in the second scrimmage, but there were no touchdown passes.

Malzahn and his assistant coaches usually review the entirety of preseason camp and begin making decisions with the depth chart on the first day of classes, which falls on Monday. A starting quarterback could be announced as soon as then, though only Malzahn knows when he will make such a decision public.

"You know, I think the biggest thing is when you're in a competition is rooting for each other," Dillingham said. "And that's one thing I've been extremely pleased with -- is those guys are rooting for each other's success. It's not rooting against them; it's that we're rooting for Auburn. And when one person makes a great throw, everybody gets excited. It's not, 'Oh, man. That's not good for me.' It's, 'Oh man. That's great for Auburn.' And I think that's something that I firmly believe in -- us being close as a group."

hey ell i do not believe this is premium but if it is please delete or tell me too. most of the article seems the same ol same ol but the part about the fierceness of competition between joey and bo was interesting so i am taking a chance.

Damn, I'm getting anxious for a starter to be named.  Yet the anticipation stage has been fun, and continues to be.

I was all about Joey Gatewood all summer long because of his bruising running ability.  However, the "word" I've heard from fall camp is that Bo Nix has been the more accurate passer, and has been the first QB to take first-team reps along the way.

So I'm officially changing my prediction to "Bo Nix".  And that means Cord Sandburg had better step up and be ready to play in a pinch, because there's no way Joey Gatewood will stick around for very long watching Bo Nix start ahead of him.

Oh, and I'm smoking a pork butt today getting ready for game day tailgating.  May your existence be as pleasant.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The data determining who is Auburn's starting quarterback

quote:
AUBURN, Alabama — Whether it's next week or when the season opens, Auburn will pick a starting quarterback.

It will happen, even if both split snaps in the season opener Aug. 31 against Oregon. The two options are true freshman Bo Nix, the son of an Auburn legend; and redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood, the strong-armed, big-bodied quarterback that has fans dreaming of inside-zone plays and running over linebackers.

Both can throw deep. Both are accurate. And both can run.

But only one can be the starter and the day is coming when coach Gus Malzahn sits them both down in his office and tells them his decision. Then it's up to offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to settle emotions.

"We've already talked about it," Auburn's first-year OC said. "Everybody in that room is going to help us this year. And you see it year in and year out. Our motto is ride for the brand. So if you're with us right now, you're with us.

And that's kind of what we've talked about in our room. We have to be the closest room on the football team regardless of who wins the job. We're going to have each other's back in all aspects of life. And that's kind of what we've talked about. And we've put that on the table since I got here, and I firmly believe in that."

How Auburn's coaches have handled the competition is nothing short of stressful. The Tigers are installing plays day to day faster than at any other time in Malzahn's six previous preseason camps.

"They're keeping up, for sure," receivers coach and co-OC Kodi Burns said. "I've really been impressed with both of them, to be honest, just to be able to go out there and run with the first team and handle what they've handled.

We're throwing a lot at them as ... freshmen, as quarterbacks. But I think they've done a really good job so far."

Coaches applied the expectation on the quarterbacks to improve their accuracy and timing with their teammates in voluntary workouts and passing drills in the summer.

The competition was so fierce, Nix and Gatewood would argue over who would throw the first pass in summer workouts with teammates, defensive lineman Derrick Brown said.

"You can see the growth from spring," Dillingham said. "... What people don't realize is we can’t watch them throw the football, we can’t do football with them from spring until camp.

So, watching them learn the offense, get better and come out and execute things from spring until now, they've all drastically gotten better. So I've been pleased with both of them. I think they are both really good players. We've been dealing with both. We’ll just kinda see how camp ends up."

Dillingham said he "wouldn't say" Auburn is "much closer" to announcing a starter, adding that the coaches do have more "data" on each player and their specialties, strengths and weaknesses.

"We're measuring times you put the ball in jeopardy, times you had bad footwork that causes a potential turnover, times that you're in rhythm with a throw, times that you locate the football," Dillingham said. "All of those things we measure daily, to see who gives us the best chance to win."

Nix threw three interceptions — two deflections off receivers — in the first scrimmage of preseason camp, but was the only quarterback to lead the offense to a touchdown with two passes and a rushing score by a running back, according to sources. Both quarterbacks scored in the second scrimmage, but there were no touchdown passes.

Malzahn and his assistant coaches usually review the entirety of preseason camp and begin making decisions with the depth chart on the first day of classes, which falls on Monday. A starting quarterback could be announced as soon as then, though only Malzahn knows when he will make such a decision public.

"You know, I think the biggest thing is when you're in a competition is rooting for each other," Dillingham said. "And that's one thing I've been extremely pleased with -- is those guys are rooting for each other's success. It's not rooting against them; it's that we're rooting for Auburn. And when one person makes a great throw, everybody gets excited. It's not, 'Oh, man. That's not good for me.' It's, 'Oh man. That's great for Auburn.' And I think that's something that I firmly believe in -- us being close as a group."

hey ell i do not believe this is premium but if it is please delete or tell me too. most of the article seems the same ol same ol but the part about the fierceness of competition between joey and bo was interesting so i am taking a chance.

Sorry, I hate using quote on whole articles.  But, this article makes me happy, because it shows that they are giving each QB a fair shot.  They value each QB very much, and they are scoring them on EVERY little detail in order to make a good decision.  Also,  it shows that they are working hard to manage emotions and support each QB in case they don’t get to start.  Whoever gets it will have definitely earned it, I believe.  

46 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I will definitely have to avoid this thread when/if the starter is announced. Will be a whole lot of arguing about not arguing.

With your new Avi & Signature just keep posting.....even if you just type "gryujgtjjfcrhkljgrsdhk" each time, as long as your Avi keeps popping up, we're good. :cheers:

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

With your new Avi & Signature just keep posting.....even if you just type "gryujgtjjfcrhkljgrsdhk" each time, as long as your Avi keeps popping up, we're good. :cheers:

gryujgtjjfcrhkljgrsdhk  :big:

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

I will definitely have to avoid this thread when/if the starter is announced. Will be a whole lot of arguing about not arguing.

no offense but i believe that is my ex wife.

6 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Damn, I'm getting anxious for a starter to be named.  Yet the anticipation stage has been fun, and continues to be.

I was all about Joey Gatewood all summer long because of his bruising running ability.  However, the "word" I've heard from fall camp is that Bo Nix has been the more accurate passer, and has been the first QB to take first-team reps along the way.

So I'm officially changing my prediction to "Bo Nix".  And that means Cord Sandburg had better step up and be ready to play in a pinch, because there's no way Joey Gatewood will stick around for very long watching Bo Nix start ahead of him.

Oh, and I'm smoking a pork butt today getting ready for game day tailgating.  May your existence be as pleasant.

I know I am hoping against hope...but between the two QB's, it would sure seem strange if one should ever decide to leave. It seems they both fought so hard to get this far. Maybe someone could point out what happened at Georgia 2 years back.

Archived