All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/16/2019 at 10:44 AM, oracle79 said:

So we're going to continue with the square peg round hole offense?;D

Not really. Gus has two QBs with great potential but hardly any experience. If you understand that then you understand this is a difficult decision. Like I said he will make a choice who starts but he will also play the other one because at some point he needs to really understand the mindset of these guys. Not only to know who to start but also how to make them both better. Again practice is great but it’s no match to live fire against another team that’s not your friends and would like to do serious damage to your body. It will be a learning process. Hopefully short and successful. 😁. WDE sack the Ducks and Ride the Brand.

2 hours ago, au701948 said:

I know I am hoping against hope...but between the two QB's, it would sure seem strange if one should ever decide to leave. It seems they both fought so hard to get this far. Maybe someone could point out what happened at Georgia 2 years back.

Neither is going to leave. I believe they both know that the starter will not be written in stone and it could change multiple times in the first few weeks.

3 hours ago, au701948 said:

Maybe someone could point out what happened at Georgia 2 years back.

Yep....Who knows if Fromm ever Starts any of the past 3 years without Eason going down. That injury could have changed their program in ways we can never know. Fromm could have transferred if he didn't win the job his SO year and he could be tearing it up at Mizzou....seems like a guy that could be a good fit for Mizzou.

From Bryan Matthews 

AUBURN | From all appearances, Auburn’s starting quarterback competition is winding down to a conclusion in the next couple of days. I’d be surprised if Gus Malzahn doesn’t announce his starter for the Oregon game today or tomorrow, and I’d be really surprised if Bo Nix doesn’t win the job.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-tigers-football-bmatt-s-monday-musings-1

Anyone else feel the coaches know it's Bo, but the biggest wait is just making sure they know how to keep Gatewood from transferring?

5 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

First day of class is today ... make sure he attends and then he’s on the hook?

wow ... that’s cynical ...

I’m not sure that’s required in order to not lose a year of eligibility. @ellitor can you confirm?

I am sure the one who is not starting already knows who is going to be named the starter.

Still a chance the other could take over. I definitely see them both playing in the first two games.

14 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Anyone else feel the coaches know it's Bo, but the biggest wait is just making sure they know how to keep Gatewood from transferring?

I don’t think that’s the main reason for waiting.

From what we’ve heard, it was Gatewood really impressing during spring and supposedly Nix has really impressed this fall, especially the last week or so to end fall camp. I imagine if Bo is the starter, Gatewood would have a role in the offense. Just worried about how that will look/work as the season goes on.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

I’m not sure that’s required in order to not lose a year of eligibility. @ellitor can you confirm?

It is but it doesn't matter. Kids who are going to transfer are going to do so anyway, especially at QB. Given Joey's history though of staying loyal to Bartram Trail in high school when he could have gone to better programs for his JR & SR years plus the willingness to play anywhere his team needed through his JR year & willingness to platoon at QB his SR year while being a leader; it's far from a sure thing he will transfer, especially if there is a define game plan to use him.

4 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I don’t think that’s the main reason for waiting.

From what we’ve heard, it was Gatewood really impressing during spring and supposedly Nix has really impressed this fall, especially the last week or so to end fall camp. I imagine if Bo is the starter, Gatewood would have a role in the offense. Just worried about how that will look/work as the season goes on.

Agree with you. I think most of us know it is going to be Bo. I further believe that the first two or three games, both will play.  I don't see it stretching much beyond that unless there is an injury to the starter.

Both of these guys are VERY GOOD so we are in good hands.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It is but it doesn't matter. Kids who are going to transfer are going to do so anyway, especially at QB. Given Joey's history though of staying loyal to Bartram Trail in high school when he could have gone to better programs for his JR & SR years plus the willingness to play anywhere his team needed through his JR year & willingness to platoon at QB his SR year while being a leader; it's far from a sure thing he will transfer, especially if there is a define game plan to use him.

This may have been discussed, but if Nix wins the job, do you think Gatewood could play elsewhere? Maybe Tight end? Maybe a big slot receiver? Wondering how we can get him onto the field as I think he's a great athlete.

2 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

FWIW Murphy and Caldwell think Nix comfortably won the job. 

It sounds like Nix is pretty dern good. If he's "comfortably" winning the job over the guy people thought would be the shoe-in starter, then Joey is either not good at all (which I don't think is the case) or Nix can really run this offense well. Looking forward to August 31 more and more. 

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

This may have been discussed, but if Nix wins the job, do you think Gatewood could play elsewhere? Maybe Tight end? Maybe a big slot receiver?

Definitely could but we don't have enough capable bodies at QB to be able to move him. That said, Gus has said many times he's not changing positions.

Year 1 - Bo = Shea Patterson

Year 2 - Bo = Eli Manning

Year 3 - Bo = Peyton Manning

Year 4 - Bo = Bo Nix

No pressure.

11 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

FWIW Murphy and Caldwell think Nix comfortably won the job. 

As has nearly everyone connected by now.

1 minute ago, kennypowers said:

Year 4 - Bo = Bo Nix

No pressure.

@BoNix if you are reading this just be you & let things happen as they will.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Definitely could but we don't have enough capable bodies at QB to be able to move him. That said, Gus has said many times he's not changing positions.

I could see Gatewood taking more snaps in the red zone (wildcat) just because of his size/athleticism. Or at least be part of that package to give it another wrinkle if Boobie takes the snaps.

5 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Year 4 - Bo = NFL - 1st Round Draft Choice as a Junior.

No pressure.

Assuming your yearly analogies are to be correct....FIFY.

5 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I could see Gatewood taking more snaps in the red zone (wildcat) just because of his size/athleticism. Or at least be part of that package to give it another wrinkle if Boobie takes the snaps.

Sure would make defenses a lot more worried and less likely to "cheat up" with Joey running Wildcat.  BUT - Joey has to toss a couple in the first few games to keep them honest throughout the season.  Boobie doesn't give us these options as much.

Also - I would like to see Joey come in on some other situations during a game because he can toss that thing downfield on a 3rd and one at the 40.  Protects Bo's health and is more than a 'wrinkle'.  

Dang!  I am really excited.   I mean more than usual.  We may go 12-0.  Someone pass me that mason jar again.  Maybe we should give Gus a new contract  -   😎

7 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Much like UF did with Tebow and UGA did with Justin Fields.

Of course, Fields has since transferred to Ohio State. Curious to see if he flourishes in a full on starter role or not. He has the size, arm and athleticism to get it done.

Archived